PDA

View Full Version : Bittorent Help...

Dreddz
11-07-2005, 04:47 PM
I think im doing something wrong, I use bittorent alot, but it seems my KB speeds are way low, I hear people getting 120 kb/s, my max is usually 30 kb/s, and people say that 40 kb/s is going slow.
Whats wrong with my comp, my usual speed it like 10 kb/s, and thats the torrents that are brand new , others go at 6 kb/s or so ....

Shoden
11-07-2005, 05:16 PM
what torrent software do you use?
Do you use a router or modem?
What's your connection?

those affect p2p KBPS speeds.

bipper
11-07-2005, 05:41 PM
what torrent software do you use?
Do you use a router or modem?
What's your connection?

those affect p2p KBPS speeds.

also
Do they use a router or modem?
What's thier connection?

Vyk
11-07-2005, 07:15 PM
I would think it also depends on the amount of peers you connect to. If you connect to 10 peers each pushing off 12kb/s at you. Wouldn't that then give you 120kb/s

crono_logical
11-07-2005, 07:35 PM
also
Do they use a router or modem?
What's thier connection?
Forget that, if you're using a modem, or a correctly configured router with ports forwarded to the right machine, it doesn't matter about the other end. And if there's enough peers, forget about their speed too since they could all be uploading at low speeds each and still drown you out (after considering torrent age and distributed copies). :p

Basically make sure if you've got a router, the ports your torrent program is using are set to forward to your PC, and whether you're using a modem or router, check any firewall you have has those same ports open. This is usually the biggest benefit since that'll allow more people to be able to connect to you regardless of their set-up.

The other thing you should do is limit your upload speed. Yes, people will tell you that the faster your upload is, the faster your download, since BT (generally) favours people that contribute to the swarm. On the other hand though, if you upload too fast, you leave no upload bandwidth for your PC to upload requests for more data because it's too busy uploading data for other people - you need to be able to tell the other end you want to download too :p General rule is limit upload to about 80% of your upload bandwidth (maybe slightly less if your max down/upstream ratio is that badly distorted) so you're still playing fair :p

bipper
11-07-2005, 08:05 PM
The connection on their end is improtant as well. I was simply pointing out that the internet is a two way street. Thier upload speeds, and thier bottlenecks will affect you. As will the bottle necks in any computer yours goes through to get that singal. Be it a bad network set up on their end, or a slow internet connection.

Sucks, but there is no avoiding it :)

Bipper

crono_logical
11-07-2005, 08:16 PM
Their end doesn't matter if you get enough of them to connect though :p

Dreddz
11-07-2005, 08:25 PM
I have a router and use broadband, How do you connect to extra peers ?

crono_logical
11-07-2005, 08:48 PM
Basically make sure if you've got a router, the ports your torrent program is using are set to forward to your PC, and whether you're using a modem or router, check any firewall you have has those same ports open. This is usually the biggest benefit since that'll allow more people to be able to connect to you regardless of their set-up.Effectively what that does is not let you connect to more peers, but lets more peers connect to you instead :p This gives you the advantage that you can now exploit those people who cannot do the same as what you just did, because they'll have less peers than you since they can't let others connect back to them like you, so you get more of the share of their overall bandwidth in the long run :D