PDA

View Full Version : Afraid of Success?

Maltodextrin
11-08-2005, 12:03 AM
I seem to have a problem.

Ever since I was a wee little boy, I loved art, whether it be writing, music, or drawings. These things are all my hobbies now, and they provide me with great satisfaction. However, also since I was young, I was absolutely mortified when my parents would find some of my creations. The happy look on their faces, that surprised, joyous look at my work made me want to cry out of embarassment. It still continues to this day.

So far, I have been rather successful in hiding my work from my parents, especially my music compositions. Unfortunately, while I was having some of my friends at school listening to it (which I have absolutely no problem with), one of the media/tech administratiors heard it. Long story short, I now have around 20+ pieces currently broadcasting over the air on the local county-wide station.

This is quite upsetting. While I'm absolutely ecstatic that I've gotten a 'break', I'm also a nervous wreck. Now my parents will, without a doubt, hear my music.

Do any of you feel this way around your parents? Are you terrified to let them know you've accomplished something?

Or am I just nuts?

Miriel
11-08-2005, 12:08 AM
Why don't you want your parents to hear your music? A lot of the things I've done in my life, I've done in an effort to make my parents proud of me. So I don't know why you would want to hide this sort of thing from them. :confused:

UWAOOOOU
11-08-2005, 12:45 AM
Im a little like that with my parents and other people. I was worse a year or so ago but Im not as bad now as Im a bit more secure with myself. As you work up the food chain in high school and continue to do well Im sure you'll gain more confidence in yourself.

Venom
11-08-2005, 12:49 AM
I dont like people looking through what i write and draw and compose cause i really dont like attention unless its negative.

Primus Inter Pares
11-08-2005, 01:00 AM
You should be excited :excited:

Maltodextrin
11-08-2005, 01:27 AM
You should be excited :excited:

Oh, believe me, I am. It's just the fact that I hate getting that kind of attention, and my parents know this. They've had some stern talks with me about my secretiveness. I have no problem with showing off to my friends, co-workers, and teachers. It's only with good ol' mom and dad.

Next year, I'm off to college. There I'll be able to do whatever without the fear of being 'discovered'.