PDA

View Full Version : Installing an "Older" Version of XP...

DMKA
11-10-2005, 03:59 AM
Ok, see, I'm trying to format my hard drive so I can install XP Professional. I currently have SP2 Home Edition installed (it's what came installed on my system when I purchased it), and it won't let me install Professional since it's "older". I was wondering how I can format my hard drive (only my C: drive though, because the partitioned part of my hard drive, labeled the H: drive has the System Restoration on it that I don't want to lose it) so I can do a clean install of Professional.

Yamaneko
11-10-2005, 04:47 AM
Either download a Linux Live CD such as Knoppix or Ubuntu and format the partition using the built-in partition tools, or make a DOS boot disk and use fdisk to delete the Windows partition. Then when you go to install XP Pro it will find unformatted space and you'll be able to format it and install it into there.

Samuraid
11-10-2005, 07:54 AM
The XP Disc should be bootable and allow you to recreate/format the C: partition only.

Yamaneko
11-10-2005, 03:50 PM
Depending if it's OEM or retail it might not.

Samuraid
11-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Ah, well all of my OEM discs work that way. I'm not sure about the retail versions...

DMKA
11-13-2005, 03:00 AM
Well I did it. I didn't backup my drivers though, so I had to download them all and burn them to a cd on my roommate's comp while he was gone. :P