PDA

View Full Version : Down with Ebaum's world!!1@@1!!/!1

Nightmare X
11-11-2005, 05:44 PM
Some of you I'm sure know about the site ebaumsworld.com Lots of 'funny' videos and images and such.

Harmless? Hell no. The guy who runs it steals almost all his content.

He removes watermarks from images and claims credit for them.

He decompiles flash animations and removes any credit to the original creator.

And he profits from this. And the people who actually MADE the things on his site get nothing. This is plaguerism, pure and simple, and this guy is profiting by doing something illegal. Unfortunately, laws just aren't as effective on the Internet.

Emails to get your stolen work removed- or to get credit- are completely ignored. Try posting about it on his forums- your topic will be deleted and your account banned.

Recently, people over at the SomethingAwful.com forums were trying once again to contact his ISP and such, and posting on the forums to get things copyrighted to SomethingAwful removed from eBaums, as they were of course used there without permission.

And what did eBaum do? He added a bit of malicious code to his website- one that, whenever his site loaded, it tried loading things off of SomethingAwful's servers. This increases SA's bandwidth and costs money to the one who runs it, Lowtax.

Thankfully our coders are far more resourceful and they fended off the attack. But still, wtf. We're seeing if there's any way to pursue legal action, but as it wasn't anything as obvious as a virus it's tricky.

This is absolutely DISGUSTING that people are having their work stolen by this piece of /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif so he can rake in money from advertising revenue.

So spread the word that ebaumsworld is a horrible website run by a greedy, lying thief. >=(

I say we burn Eric Bauman to death, that loser, making a living out of plaguiarism and becoming RICH because of it.

Go to hell eBaum, I hope you get cancer.

Ebaum's world sucks, magnificent flash movie on the subject, contains swearing. (http://www.ebaumsworldsucks.com/)

Caspian
11-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Cancer?

Why not herpes?

GunbladeMaster
11-11-2005, 05:48 PM
how do ye know thats true

Nightmare X
11-11-2005, 05:48 PM
I've been to EB's world, all of the flash movies and images there have all credit taken away from the real authors and replaced with the "OMG THIS IS HOSTED BY EBAUM'S WORLD"

Such as this image from SomethingAwful (Hence the refference to Lowtax):
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/64/Ebaum_vs_SA.gif

edczxcvbnm
11-11-2005, 05:59 PM
I don't give a /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif. I thought everyone knew none of the stuff on that site was his. I thought it was a site where someone just posts funny videos he finds.

Rye
11-11-2005, 06:00 PM
Ebaum dude is pretty lame for that.

Madame Adequate
11-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Ebaum dude is pretty lame for that.

YOU'RE pretty lame for that.

Like that Lavagirl and Sharkboy thing you stole from me. :(

This is super-uncool if true though. Ebaum's FTL. (For The Lose, not Faster Than Light...)

Sasquatch
11-11-2005, 06:18 PM
It would be "stealing" or "plaguerism", if the work was Copyrighted. Nowhere on Ebaum's does it say "we made this". It doesn't matter WHO made it. Just like, if you post something on these forums -- a picture YOU didn't take, an animation YOU didn't make, etc. -- you can't be sued unless you claimed it as your own. And Ebaum's doesn't claim them as their own. They host them, yes, but they don't claim rights to them. And since nothing is copyrighted, anybody anywhere can host it, link to it, whatever, as long as they don't claim it as their own creation -- and even if they did, no legal action could be taken against them unless the material was Copyrighted.

If you find a funny picture, you can send it wherever the hell you want -- Ebaum's World, College Humor, Parodyville, SomethingAwful, anywhere you want. Everywhere you want. Unless you Copyright it before you send it out, there's no reason they have to reveal a source for that picture. Common sense would tell us that once you post something on the internet, unless it's Copyrighted, it is no longer yours -- it can be used, taken, changed, etc. by anybody with access to it. And as long as they don't claim ownership, no legal action can be taken.

Please, learn some things about the legal system before you criticize somebody for stepping out of bounds.

Caspian
11-11-2005, 06:19 PM
*plagiarism

Psychotic
11-11-2005, 06:21 PM
Already saw that link on SomethingAwful. Couldn't really care, and I'd have preferred it if they'd spent that time making fun of furries.

Nightmare X
11-11-2005, 06:21 PM
Oh, but he IS claiming it as it's own, making PROFIT or it and ignoring all requests by the actual authors to get rid of them, in addition, the attack on SomethingAwful was completely Illegal.

Leeza
11-11-2005, 06:27 PM
I'm closing this because I think it's probably in violation of some <a href="http://forums.eyesonff.com/faq.php?faq=vb_board_usage#faq_eoff_rules">IMPORTANT</a> rule, but if another mod thinks otherwise and I am mistaken, they can reopen this.