PDA

View Full Version : Invision Power Board or vBulletin ?

Dann
11-12-2005, 02:31 PM
Which board do you prefer ?

I prefer invision power board as it is easy to use , clear andvisually impressive unfortunately i find vBulletin confusing , i'm not sure what it is like in the admin cp though.

<!--If you don't know what Invision Power Board is click here (http://www.tussaudszone.com/tw/forumtz/) to view my one.-->

We don't allow advertising here.

~Void

Venom
11-12-2005, 02:34 PM
Invison plus..........GOD!!!

Dann
11-12-2005, 02:37 PM
God , what about him .... nice guy god

Craig
11-12-2005, 02:48 PM
Sneaky!

Meat Puppet
11-12-2005, 03:11 PM
Sneaky!

Mind you, the title is really quite deceiving.

Venom
11-12-2005, 03:39 PM
isnt Invision plus and invision power board the same?

bipper
11-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Are these boards free or somthing? I have always just used phpBB, as its free, does what I need, and I can install it on my own box.

Bipper

Venom
11-12-2005, 03:48 PM
I used invision plus, because im cool like that:D

Necron
11-12-2005, 03:48 PM
Lol, you actually made a thread about this. Better than discussing it in 'Winamp...poor' thread i guess.

Shoeberto
11-12-2005, 10:27 PM
Are these boards free or somthing? I have always just used phpBB, as its free, does what I need, and I can install it on my own box.

Bipper
It's also notoriously full of security flaws :) I remember hearing that some pro hosting services don't want their members installing it in order to spare them the problems.

I like IPB, or at least I did until they crippled the free release of the 2.0, which was barely an upgrade from the 1.3.x version.

bipper
11-13-2005, 02:50 PM
It's also notoriously full of security flaws :) I remember hearing that some pro hosting services don't want their members installing it in order to spare them the problems.

I like IPB, or at least I did until they crippled the free release of the 2.0, which was barely an upgrade from the 1.3.x version.

Yeah, it requires some work outta box, i'll admit. Most of these flaws are people whom don't know how to run thier database or install PHP though. Most tthe flaws are easily fixed by some good directory managment, and a can do attitude :) ( I strip a ton outta her)

Bipper

eestlinc
11-13-2005, 08:40 PM
what does this have to do with the lounge? of course, I don't know where else to put this besides Gen Chat...

Loony BoB
11-14-2005, 11:34 AM
So move it to GC. ;)

vBulletin is far superior to the alternatives - but it's only worth it if you have the money to spend on it. Second, I'd probably go with IPB.

Samuraid
11-14-2005, 09:38 PM
Invision Board is 1000000000% better than vB2 (with respect to code quality and performance). (nearly everything is better than vB2) However, with the coming of vB3, Jelsoft pulled the gap and now both of them are nearly neck and neck. Both have unique features the other doesn't. I personally would be happy using either.

phpBB isn't "riddled with security flaws." It did have a few major flaws that were quickly fixed and the developers are constantly tackling any issues that arise. The reason that many hosts canned phpBB was due to a vulnerability with awstats as well as a PEAR bug in php, both of which got blamed on phpBB. Also, many phpBB users and hosts didn't install the security updates when they came out. If they had, then less people would have been exploited.

phpBB3 Olympus will certainly give IPB and vB a run for their money, especially since Olympus is free. :D

Venom
11-14-2005, 09:42 PM
V bulletin is awesome cause you get usernotes:D

WHY ISNT ANYONE POSTING IN MY USERNOTES!!!!!!!:mad2:

Rye
11-14-2005, 09:45 PM
vBulletin is pretty cool. :)

Loony BoB
11-14-2005, 11:14 PM
Invision Board is 1000000000% better than vB2 (with respect to code quality and performance). (nearly everything is better than vB2) However, with the coming of vB3, Jelsoft pulled the gap and now both of them are nearly neck and neck. Both have unique features the other doesn't. I personally would be happy using either.
Of course, last I checked, when vB3 came out, most IPB people were admitting that it was a lot better than IPB. Even under 'Features unique to IPB' section on their site, it details "Features like multi-quote, topic multi-moderation and inline moderation aren't to be found anywhere else! In addition to the front-end features, IPB has been developed in a modular style with built-in event handler so that interfacing with 3rd-party software is easy." ...but vB has all of these 'unique features'. In fact, I went through every feature detailed on the IPB site and as far as I know, vB has every one of them... maybe the exception of email logs.

vB3.5 > IPB

Samuraid
11-15-2005, 01:53 AM
Well, vB3 was missing a number of new features just added in vB 3.5.0 that have been in IPB for a while now. Unfortunately, I don't have access to an IPB 2.1 so I can't compare the new stuff they have been adding.

Note: I'm primarily comparing vB3 to IPB2 since I have no access to IPB 2.1 to see any of the new features and I'm still somewhat new to vB 3.5.0

Things IPB has that are better than vB3 or missing from vB3:

Moderation queue
Warning system (still not in vB 3.5, UPB has had this for a while)
<s>Converge</s> (doesn't really apply)
Search engine spider controls and stats
Multi-quote
Topic & post subscriptions (IPB userCP is more comprehensive in this respect)
Supported RDBMS' (this is big, since both phpBB and IPB support many RDBMS but vB still only supports mySQL)
Topic multi-moderation (not in vB3.0)
Inline moderation (not in vB3.0)
Moderation queue (not in vB3.0)
Full-text searching (not in vB3.0)
XML archiving (not in 3.0 or 3.5)
Export topics to Word/HTML (not in 3.0 or 3.5)
RSS topic feed (is this in vB 3.5 yet?)
A full IPB license costs around the same as vB but includes unlimited software updates.

Anyway, I could be wrong on many of those, but there are a few, such as RDBMS support and the warning system that are pretty significant.
I'm not arguing that vB3.5 is bad. I think it's excellent. I'm just arguing that it isn't much better than IPB 2.1 and the converse is also true.