PDA

View Full Version : WWE wrestler Eddie Guerrero has passed away

Flamethrower
11-13-2005, 04:17 PM
I know there is a thread for WWE related stuff, but I believe this should have it's own thread.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/eddieguerreropasses

I can't believe this... kinda at a loss for words right now. :(

Rest in peace Eddie.

Doomie
11-13-2005, 04:26 PM
Uhhh, that is dated October 13th, and I'm sure I've seen Eddie Guerrero wrestle within that time.

FFGuevara
11-13-2005, 04:27 PM
WHAT how..... How did he die? Did he die during the show?

Doomie
11-13-2005, 04:30 PM
EDIT: Nevermind, I saw it on the front page. They must have mistaken it for November 13th. Wow.

DK
11-13-2005, 04:43 PM
That's the most vague report ever. I want to know what happened to him.

Rest in Peace, Eddie. There will never be another like him.

Flamethrower
11-13-2005, 04:48 PM
WHAT how..... How did he die? Did he die during the show?

All it says is that he passed away in his hotel room. The reason it's so vague is most likely because they just found out about it, I'm sure we will get more details in time.

Damn. With no disrespected to other wrestlers that have passed away recently, this is professional wrestling's biggest loss since Owen Hart.
:(

DK
11-13-2005, 04:54 PM
I agree. And what, he was only like 38. After all he'd been through to get back to where he was, too. Ah man. This is a sad day indeed. ;\

Meat Puppet
11-13-2005, 04:55 PM
To me, in a hotel room sounds like an OD. I could be wrong.
It's surprising, but - I didn't expect it. His match was my favourite on the most recent SmackDown!. :(

I blame Ken Kennedy. :smash:

Sad thing, though. One of my favourite wrestlers. Strange to me how the title of his autobiography of the same year he died is about cheating death.

Captain Maxx Power
11-13-2005, 05:03 PM
Well, this sucks....

Flamethrower
11-13-2005, 05:08 PM
This story doesn't give much more information, but it does prove that this definately isn't a joke.

http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_317110540.html

(WCCO) Minneapolis World Wrestling Entertainment wrestler Eddie Guerrero was found dead in his hotel room in Minneapolis, the organization said Sunday.

Guerrero, 38, was found at the Marriott City Center in downtown Minneapolis. He was in town for Sunday night's "WWE Supershow" TV taping at Target Center.

Police confirmed Guerrero's death, but are not yet releasing additional information. The Hennepin County Medical Examiner was at the hotel.

Guerrero was a featured star on the UPN series "WWE Smackdown!" and the subject of a full-length DVD titled "Cheating Death, Stealing Life."

Son of legendary Mexican wrestler Gory Guerrero, Eddie Guerrero has also wrestled with World Championship Wrestling and Extreme Championship Wrestling, among other federations. His nephew, Chavo Guerrero, Jr., also wrestles with WWE.

Stay with WCCO.COM for more information as it becomes available.

I hope to see WWE make next monday's Raw a tribute show.

DK
11-13-2005, 05:11 PM
The tribute for Owen was a great show. Just to see the wrestlers all come out and pay tribute. My most enduring memory of that show is Mark Henry crying his eyes out, I don't think i'll ever forget that image. I'm really sad that I don't have cable and am unable to watch.

Psychotic
11-13-2005, 05:30 PM
I'm not a wrestling fan like I was a few years ago, but when I was I used to really liked Eddie, beginning with his WCW days, so it still saddens me to hear of this. R.I.P. Eddie. :(

Del Murder
11-13-2005, 05:31 PM
That sucks dude. He was one of the best.

MrCloudStrife
11-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Aww man! He was the greatest modern wrestlers of all time!

I hope the Smackdown! vs. Raw 2006 game be saying "Dedicated to Eddie Guerrero 1967-2005".

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-13-2005, 05:42 PM
Eddie is survived by his wife Vickie and daughters Shaul, 14, Sherilyn, 9, and Kaylie Marie, 3.

This is what it says on the first link you show me.I don't by it.

Doomie
11-13-2005, 05:46 PM
1 entry found for survived.
sur·vive ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sr-vv)
v. sur·vived, sur·viv·ing, sur·vives
v. intr.
To remain alive or in existence.
To carry on despite hardships or trauma; persevere: families that were surviving in tents after the flood.
To remain functional or usable: I dropped the radio, but it survived.

v. tr.
To live longer than; outlive: She survived her husband by five years.
To live, persist, or remain usable through: plants that can survive frosts; a clock that survived a fall.
To cope with (a trauma or setback); persevere after: survived child abuse.

Flamethrower
11-13-2005, 05:48 PM
Eddie is survived by his wife Vickie and daughters Shaul, 14, Sherilyn, 9, and Kaylie Marie, 3.

This is what it says on the first link you show me.I don't by it.

Why would saying that make it seem fake?

Even if you don't believe WWE's homepage, a Minnesota news website wouldn't fake a story like that.

EDIT: And, what Mordor said.

Traitorfish
11-13-2005, 06:05 PM
It's sad when anyone dies, but just because he's famous doesn't make it much worse.Thousands die everyday, and they recieve little attention.
Sorry to be the cynic... :sweat:

Odaisé Gaelach
11-13-2005, 06:20 PM
It's sad when anyone dies, but just because he's famous doesn't make it much worse.Thousands die everyday, and they recieve little attention.

That's okay, I understand where you're coming from. Eddie Guerrero was a great wrestler, and I used to really enjoy watching his matches. He made me smile, and I'm going to miss him for that.

Goodbye Eddie, and thanks for everything... :cry:

Trumpet Thief
11-13-2005, 06:23 PM
Oh my god... I woke up to that front page news this morning.

Eddie Guerrero, I have adored you for years. Me, along with countless wrestling fans, and your family, will definetly miss you.

Rest in Peace.

black orb
11-13-2005, 06:25 PM
>>> I cant believe this!, he was not just another wrestler he was smurfing Eddie Guerrero! This is a sad day for wrestling fans..:cry:

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-13-2005, 06:44 PM
I lost my favorite wrestler......... what are they gonna do for the survivor series elimination match? And the triple threat championship next week?

Flamethrower
11-13-2005, 07:14 PM

While I agree that no human life is more important than another, a death from someone you grew up watching and admired will have more impact on you than from someone you never knew. I spent almost every Monday and/or Thursday night of the last six years watching this man, and grew to admire him for his work. But I do see where you are coming from.

Favorite Eddie Guerrero memories:

His match with Rey Mysterio at WCW Halloween Havok '97. One of the greatest cruiserweight matches of all time.
Forming the Latino World Order in WCW.
Along with Chris Benoit, Dean Malanko, and Perry Saturn, debuting in the WWF as The Radicals.
His storyline with Chyna.
His comeback in 2002.
Forming "Los Guerreros" with Chavo Guerrero and his face turn.
Defeating Brock Lesnar at No Way Out 2004 in one of the best championship matches in a long time and winning the WWE Championship for the first time.
Celebrating in the ring with Chris Benoit at the end of Wrestlemania XX with both of them holding the top titles of their respected show.

Spatvark
11-13-2005, 07:25 PM
Looks to be a heart attack whilst brushing his teeth

Spammerman
11-13-2005, 08:02 PM
thats sad.R.I.P. Not to poke fun at his death or anything, but since it says he died in his hotel room and he says he cheated death, does it remind anyone else of final destination?

DK
11-14-2005, 12:24 AM
http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/guerreroconf

A video of the press conference with Vince McMahon and Chavo. Seems like both RAW and Smackdown! will be tribute shows to Eddie.

Sephex
11-14-2005, 12:37 AM
That sucks. Eddie was very entertaining at times.

Trumpet Thief
11-14-2005, 12:46 AM
They have many Eddie moments on WWE.com right now. My favorite of those is, IMO, the most important part of his wrestling career: retaining the title at Wrestlemania XX, and celebrating with Chris Benoit.

When I saw that scene, I immediately started bawling.

I will miss you Eddie Guerrero. :(

Cloud No.9
11-14-2005, 12:52 AM
i don't get it. i really don't. i never get it.

some semi famous guy dies and we all seem unhappy about it. none of us knew him. had any feelings for him. even knew what he was like offstage. but you mourn his death? for what? isn't he just another anonymity? all you miss is a face on tv. if it was someone else you wouldn't give a damn. he hasn't made a drop of influence on any of us yet some people mourn the loss of that?

RSL
11-14-2005, 12:59 AM
That's your problem then, Cloud No. 9. If you have no heart, fine, but don't try to get others to be heartless as well. What if everyone felt the way you did? The world would be a miserable place.

RIP Eddie, you were one of my favorites back when I used to watch. :(

Raistlin
11-14-2005, 01:13 AM
If your friend died, would it feel worse for you? How about just a classmate, or an acquiantance? Someone you know and respect/care about/admire means more to you than someone you don't know.

I used to watch WWE and, before that, WCW. Eddie was definitely a big part of both organizations, especially WWE.

EDIT:

some semi famous guy dies and we all seem unhappy about it. none of us knew him. had any feelings for him. even knew what he was like offstage. but you mourn his death? for what? isn't he just another anonymity? all you miss is a face on tv. if it was someone else you wouldn't give a damn. he hasn't made a drop of influence on any of us yet some people mourn the loss of that?
How the hell would you know that? If you don't give a damn, stay out of the discussion.

Big D
11-14-2005, 01:15 AM
I remember him well from my days as a WCW enthusiast... this is sad, as it is when any young person, especially a parent, loses their life like this.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051113/ap_en_tv/obit_guerrero

Not suicide... so not an overdose or anything else suspicious. Sudden death like this is generally - though not always - linked to something like heart failure, or an aneurism. For someone as physically active as him, and with a past involving alcohol and drug abuse... that seems a sadly plausible explanation.i don't get it. i really don't. i never get it.

some semi famous guy dies and we all seem unhappy about it. none of us knew him. had any feelings for him. even knew what he was like offstage. but you mourn his death? for what? isn't he just another anonymity? all you miss is a face on tv. if it was someone else you wouldn't give a damn. he hasn't made a drop of influence on any of us yet some people mourn the loss of that?People can readily be influenced by those they only 'know' through the media. Actors, performers and the like can convey messages and guidance to their fans; for someone like Guerrero, that could be inspiration to those who've come from a background of substance abuse and racial discrimination. People can also 'have feelings' for those they've never met, too. You can come to know a lot about a person through interviews and the like. You say we couldn't care if it was someone else? Did you miss every thread about the countless nameless victims of war and natural disaster? Simply learning of the death of an innocent person is bad enough; learning of the death of someone who had an active presence, or even an influence, in your life is even worse. Now, I wasn't 'influenced' by Mr Guerrero, but I knew of him and what he was about, so naturally his untimely death is going to give me pause.

Tasura
11-14-2005, 01:40 AM
R.I.P. Eddie, its been awhile since ive watched wrestling, but your matches were always my favorites.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
11-14-2005, 02:02 AM
I lost my favorite wrestler......... what are they gonna do for the survivor series elimination match? And the triple threat championship next week?
he died and all ur thinkin abou is wut there gonna do in wrestling next week, GODD

FFGuevara
11-14-2005, 02:15 AM
What's strange about this is the simularity between his death and Bruce lee's death.

faster skating penguin
11-14-2005, 02:52 AM
I just posted a huge tribute thread at another forum I go to, so I won't be making a long post. Words just don't do it justice. RIP Eddie.

Eddie was booked to win the World Title from Batista NEXT SMACKDOWN. Orton'll be doing that now.

I won't even bother with the dick a few posts pack ...

sdcopp
11-14-2005, 02:58 AM
very reminiscient of Road Warrior Hawk, very sad

SammieBabe
11-14-2005, 04:23 AM
I actually had the pleasure of meeting Eddie a couple times, as he had a home in Tampa, where I'm from. He actually use to live about 10 minutes from me. He was very nice and approachable whenever I saw him. Condolences to his family and friends...

DMKA
11-14-2005, 04:50 AM
Wrestling sucks, but so does death.

Rainecloud
11-14-2005, 08:24 AM
I grew up watching Eddie's matches, and I've always been a huge fan of his. I was shocked when I logged onto WWE.com this morning to hear the news. Apparently, Chavo found him dead in the bathroom of their hotel room.

People are reporting possible heart failure, but that is just speculation at this point. However, Eddie did abuse drugs and alcohol for a number of years before cleaning himself up four years ago and joining the WWE, and we all know that that sort of damage cannot be reversed, even if you do manage to clean yourself up.

It's a real shame. I'll miss watching Eddie on Friday nights. :(

Pheesh
11-14-2005, 08:50 AM
Oh my god, i watched his match yesterday! They showed it on foxtel 1 day ago! That isn't right. R.I.P. Eddie, his atmosphere will never be replaceable.

Stay Essential
EE

Loony BoB
11-14-2005, 11:16 AM
...bugger. =/

Parker
11-14-2005, 04:17 PM
That's real sad. He was one of the best technical wrestlers ever, and after a bunch of drug problems etc, he finally made his way to the top.

If you're a big technical wrestling fan, check out his last ever ECW match against Dean Malenko in '96, it's among his best.

Flamethrower
11-14-2005, 05:46 PM
For anyone curious, both Raw tonight and Friday Night SmackDown will be tribute shows (they were both filmed yesterday).

Sefie1999AD
11-14-2005, 06:37 PM
That's very sad. :cry: I haven't watched WWE for a year or more, but Eddie Guerrereo was a funny guy, he had quite good wrestling moves and he was pretty good on the mic... and we must never forget his low-rider. I remember Eddie Guerrereo - Brock Lesnar in No Way Out, I think it was in 2004, and Eddie made an amazing match there, not to mention he won the WWE Championship back then. The Wrestlemania moment a month after, when Eddie Guerrereo and Chris Benoit ended the show by hugging and holding their championship belts in the air together, was also a great moment to see. Rest in peace, Eddie. Condolences to his family, relatives and friends.

Lord Magician
11-14-2005, 08:46 PM
:magus: R.I.P:simon:

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-14-2005, 11:01 PM
he died and all ur thinkin abou is wut there gonna do in wrestling next week, GODD

Shut the hell up. I simply mentioned them because he was going to be involved in them both!!!! Get your facts right before you start chewing somebody out.

I'm not letting a cry baby little brat like you ruining this thread, which didn't need your concent, you did it to be mean. So please dude, take out your agrevations somewhere else.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
11-14-2005, 11:25 PM
chill calm down, dont need to b flammin in public ^^

Rainecloud
11-14-2005, 11:38 PM
Please, don't ruin this thread with petty squabbling - it isn't necessary.

According to sources, Eddie died almost instantly, probably from a massive heart attack. Please note that this is just speculation at this point. Once the autopsy has been completed, we'll all have a better indication of what happened.

In a recent interview, JBL said that Eddie had beaten his demons, had just turned 38 and was on top of his game. It's such a shame. :(

Trumpet Thief
11-15-2005, 12:04 AM
Two tribute shows... that's good. I already read the results, and according to many, the shows are basically episodes without any angles.

Chris Jericho, in an interview, was shocked at the news.

I went to school today, and was surprised to find out how many people actually watched wrestling, and knew about Eddie Guerrero. It cheered me up to know that there were more people in my highschool grieving his death. I was also able to find many kids wearing those "I'm your papi!" shirts.

*sigh*, I'm really going to miss you Eddie.

Tasura
11-15-2005, 02:22 AM
Even though its been awhile since ive watched wrestling, I will be watching the tribute show.... which is on now.

Shadowdust
11-15-2005, 06:47 AM
This indeed has been a tragedy. Watching RAW tonight, you can see that this was more than just a wrestler. This was a man who sincerely cared about all of those he came in contact with. For those who think this is just a face on television that didn't have any influence on peoples' lives and decisions, think again. Listen to the other wrestlers in the confessionals. I have never seen these guys so distraught. At least, not since Owen Hart. Just because we don't know them, doesn't mean we can't feel and be affected by the impact he made on all of those around him.

May you find eternal peace, Eddie Guerrero. :)

Dingo Jellybean
11-15-2005, 06:52 AM
The most touching interviews were probably JBL's and Benoit's. I was almost about to cry hearing them talk...and I don't even know Eddie Guerrero.

Rainecloud
11-15-2005, 09:39 AM
The most touching interviews were probably JBL's and Benoit's. I was almost about to cry hearing them talk...and I don't even know Eddie Guerrero.

I'll second that. Chris Benoit's interview was so heartfelt. I also enjoyed Triple H saying that "Eddie will be up there in heaven ... lying to someone". Heh. That just goes to show what a great sense of humour Eddie had.

:)

Sefie1999AD
11-15-2005, 11:46 PM
I'm not able to watch RAW so I just read RAW results from WWE's homepage and watched the video samples. Those Eddie Guerrereo tribute moments felt really sad. I cried during most of the video when Vince McMahon and the WWE superstars paid their respect for Eddie (the 10-bell-toll video). The interviews by Rey Mysterio, Chris Benoit and Chavo Guerrereo were all emotional.

What did JBL say? There was no mention of him in the WWE page. How about Triple-H, Batista and Shawn Michaels, what did they say? (BTW is it safe to say all those interviews were all honest and for real, i.e. not scripted or acted in any way? No offence, just making sure.)

WonderingBeaner
11-15-2005, 11:53 PM
all i can say its this

Eddie vaya con Dios

Mythra
11-16-2005, 12:44 AM
My sympathies go out to his family. Viva la raza Eddie, you will be missed.

Dingo Jellybean
11-16-2005, 05:39 AM
What did JBL say? There was no mention of him in the WWE page. How about Triple-H, Batista and Shawn Michaels, what did they say? (BTW is it safe to say all those interviews were all honest and for real, i.e. not scripted or acted in any way? No offence, just making sure.)

I didn't get a chance to see what Batista, HHH, or Shawn Michaels said (they'll probably be aired on Smackdown!), but JBL spoke of Eddie as his enemy in the ring, but a true friend outside the ring. He said Eddie was there to help him get through his first divorce and was just as happy as JBL was when JBL remarried.

You can usually tell it's sincere when the interviewee recalls very fond memories. No offense to Booker T, but it did sound a bit scripted or he just wanted to say something just for the sake of it. Mostly what Booker said was that he'll miss him, etc.

Rainecloud
11-16-2005, 08:20 AM
Batista: He said that he can't believe he's gone. Eddie helped him so much in the ring, not just physically, but mentally. He also said that Eddie carried so much baggage with him, and that outside the ring, he was in pain. However, once the bell rang, the pain disappeared, and he went out there to perform like nothing was wrong. This interview was straight from the heart, and Batista was crying for most of it.

HHH: Praised Eddie's technical skills, and said that his family was so important to him. He also said that Eddie had a lot of demons in his life (drug/alcohol abuse), but he managed to conquer them, and it was an inspiration to everyone.

HBK: Said that he'd never wrestled Eddie, but they were connected in the sense that they were both Born Again Christians. Praised Eddie's in-ring work, said prayers for Eddie's family and said that he'd be wrestling in Heaven with Eddie in the future.

They all looked genuine to me - except for Stephanie McMahon's.

Odaisé Gaelach
11-16-2005, 05:25 PM
Strange, isn't it? You still expect to hear his music and to see him walking down into the ring... even though you know he won't, you still wait for him to come out...

Sefie1999AD
11-16-2005, 10:35 PM
I didn't get a chance to see what Batista, HHH, or Shawn Michaels said (they'll probably be aired on Smackdown!), but JBL spoke of Eddie as his enemy in the ring, but a true friend outside the ring. He said Eddie was there to help him get through his first divorce and was just as happy as JBL was when JBL remarried.

Yeah, I saw that interview on the WWE Eddie Guerrero page. It was a pretty good interview.

You can usually tell it's sincere when the interviewee recalls very fond memories. No offense to Booker T, but it did sound a bit scripted or he just wanted to say something just for the sake of it. Mostly what Booker said was that he'll miss him, etc.

I saw that one too. Some people are more open about their sadness, I guess. I noticed it's quite easy to tell especially from heel characters if they're sincere. Many of them were very devastated and acting like how they actually are in reality, not playing the roles they have on TV episodes.

Batista: He said that he can't believe he's gone. Eddie helped him so much in the ring, not just physically, but mentally. He also said that Eddie carried so much baggage with him, and that outside the ring, he was in pain. However, once the bell rang, the pain disappeared, and he went out there to perform like nothing was wrong. This interview was straight from the heart, and Batista was crying for most of it.

I'd definitely have wanted to see that.

HBK: Said that he'd never wrestled Eddie, but they were connected in the sense that they were both Born Again Christians. Praised Eddie's in-ring work, said prayers for Eddie's family and said that he'd be wrestling in Heaven with Eddie in the future.

Wow. That sounds very beautiful.