PDA

View Full Version : Quistis' Eyes

TheSpoonyBard
11-14-2005, 06:02 PM
How is it possible for Quistis to use Laser Eye?

Could it have something to do with para-magic? Are instructors allowed access to a special kind of para-magic that bestows upon them the ability to shoot lasers?

All the other Limit Breaks make sense to me. Renzokuken and Duel are as a result of training, Combine is a result of having a well trained pet and Angel Wing is due to becoming a sorceress. I just can't think of a reason why Quistis can use Laser Eye. Come to think of it, Selphie must have something para-magic related to use Slots too.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

GunbladeMaster
11-14-2005, 06:28 PM
Why is Cloud able to summon a rain of meteors
why is Quina able to use strange spells
its just a game

Quistis is actually a robot from the future
thats why she had laser eyes :eep:

TheSpoonyBard
11-14-2005, 06:32 PM
You're talking about FFVII and FFIX. This topic is about FFVIII, hence why I posted it in the FFVIII section. If I wanted to talk about other games I'd go to other boards. For a start those games don't have para-magic or GFs, both of which I feel are factors in this question, so the cannot be compared on any level.

boys from the dwarf
11-14-2005, 06:34 PM
its just another form of para magic no different to black or white magic just rarer and harder to find.

TheSpoonyBard
11-14-2005, 06:43 PM
But how did she get it? One suggestion I've had says she learnt it from an item not included in the game when she visited Galbadia Garden prior to the events of the game. Belhelmels are found around there and they use Laser Eye as a counterattack. I think this could be true as Quistis does say she's been there before and knows the Garden Master.

The same person suggested Selphie's ability to perform Slots comes from the GF she found as a child which has become embedded within her, giving her access to powerful para-magic.

GunbladeMaster
11-14-2005, 06:47 PM
there you go
uve somewhat answered ur own question

TheSpoonyBard
11-14-2005, 06:50 PM
But I've only had one person's perspective. I want to know what other theories people have come up with.

Qurange
11-15-2005, 12:36 AM
It is purely speculation to think on it, because they don't explain how she manages to do it beyond that she learned it, but I've given the idea of how limit breaks work, and Quistis's in particular, a good deal of thought myself.

My theory's a bit similar. Para-magic usually requires some sort of power source, like the GF, to function properly--I'm going to assume that, for the magical limit breaks, this power source is the status that makes the limit break happen--adrenaline, 'spirit energy', whatever you want to call it--or an Aura spell.

...And then blue magic is just another form of para-magic, based on monsters, rather than on Sorceress magic. The difference, though, is that blue magic is very rigid in what it can do and how it is used--you need the item to make the ritual to learn the 'magic', more or less, and also, unlike the other limit breaks, Quistis's blue magic isn't affected by how much 'danger' you're in. Where you get more time on Duel if you're at lower HP, or better spells for Selphie (whose limit break is just weird, but fun), Blue Magic is Blue Magic, no matter when you cast it.

...And, if you ask me, she did the research and taught it to herself (though she didn't create it, of course), maybe while she was at Galbadia Garden, maybe not, but mostly because she didn't have much natural magical talent and that's just the kind of person she is.

Future Esthar
11-15-2005, 12:16 PM
How do you explain then that they can perform limit breaks without a GF junctioned?

Velld Ragnarok
11-15-2005, 12:49 PM
Irvine must be a freak too! A normal shotgun could never hold all the rounds that he manages to fire at once! omgz! The NRA must be informed!

:rolleyes2

* White Aeris *
11-15-2005, 04:11 PM
some people think Selphie is sorceress but doesn't know it. So thats why she can use magic without knowing it first.
Kinda makes sense.

Fire_Emblem776
11-15-2005, 04:44 PM
if so she is one odd sorceress..

* White Aeris *
11-15-2005, 05:03 PM
true true. ;)

Qurange
11-15-2005, 11:06 PM
Well, I'd explain it by saying that it's mostly special training. Now, if you ask me, most of the limit breaks are completely nonmagical--even Irvine's crazy crazy Shot. A lot of the special effects in the battle system are just embellishments to make things more flashy, which you can see if you can compare the FMVs of combat to the battle system itself. Ice Strike at the end of Disc 1 against Ice Strike in battle with Edea look different, and so I take the more 'realistic' of the two.

As to how they do it--the nonmagical limit breaks just rely on an adrenaline burst and the skills of those involved. Zell beats the heck out of things (he's so /good/ at that), Irvine engages in rapid invisible reload action. I'm seriously not even going to talk about Rinoa and Angelo other than saying that someone needs to call the SPCA on that girl. (Dogapaults are not nice.)

But as for the magical limit breaks, I figure that it's something of the same thing. Garden students are trained in more than one form of para-magic, by implication--it's just that GF para-magic is the most powerful form, and so it's the one that they rely on. For their limit breaks, Quistis and (presumably) Selphie trained to use that adrenaline burst to power magic. In Quistis's case, the organized blues, and in Selphie's a just sort of 'I'll channel magic and come up with whatever' kind of thing.

...And wow Selphie would be crazy as a Sorceress. I don't think she necessarily /is/ one, but she definitely has the capacity to become one, if the situation ever comes up. Moreso than Quistis, in any case, but that's another subject entirely.

...The idea is still funny to picture, though, if way too easy for some reason. We'd just have to worry about the 'Create Rocket Launcher' spell.

rubah
11-16-2005, 04:33 AM
She learns it from items. The magic is a trait of the item. You can't use them, because she's stingy and keeps them in her magical stash of items.

Selphie's Slots comes from the different sort of SeeD training she recieved at Trabia.

* White Aeris *
11-16-2005, 04:17 PM
...And wow Selphie would be crazy as a Sorceress. I don't think she necessarily /is/ one, but she definitely has the capacity to become one, if the situation ever comes up. Moreso than Quistis, in any case, but that's another subject entirely.

...The idea is still funny to picture, though, if way too easy for some reason. We'd just have to worry about the 'Create Rocket Launcher' spell.
lol! yeah i imagen she would actually use that if she knew she could!:p

TheSpoonyBard
11-16-2005, 04:21 PM
I still prefer the GF theory to the Sorceress theory regarding Selphie.

Does Squall of SeeD still post here? I'm sure he'd have something to say on this subject.

Venom
11-16-2005, 08:10 PM
Isnt it called Blue magic?

Captain Maxx Power
11-16-2005, 11:01 PM
Quistis is a Goddess. It's best not to question her brilliance and generally wabulousness (thats wonderful fabulousness, a new word I made up).

Big D
11-17-2005, 02:32 AM
The FFVIII characters have some inherent 'supernatural' powers which let them use magical abilities without having GFs equipped. Seifer's Fire Cross attack uses his own spiritual energy - the description for this attack is, "attack using Chi". It's probably similar to Squall's Blasting Zone, and the ladies' magical Limit Breaks. GFs aren't the only way of being able to cast magic or para-magic; after all, the Galbadian soldiers can use certain spells but don't rely on GFs to do so.
Quistis evidently has the ability to learn and use various blue magic spells; Selphie can cast virtually anything, including several unique spells, when the situation's dire enough. It's kind of like many characters have a really 'diluted' version of the sorceress' power - a weaker version of the 'sorcery gene', if you will.

That's my speculation, anyway.

rubah
11-17-2005, 03:10 AM
It still makes more sense that Quistis learned to use items better and can bring out their inherent abilities. Like a medicine man or a shaman or something.

G SpOtZ
11-17-2005, 03:10 AM
Quistis is a different version of Quina. first four letters are the same.

see?

the only diff is that Quistis doesn't have to eat people. she just eats the items they drop. or body parts.
"malboro tentacles for dinner?! MMM YUM!"

EDIT: oops, my bad, THREE first letters XD my bad, blue angel.

Meat Puppet
11-17-2005, 06:55 AM
perhaps she is related to cyclops

Big D
11-17-2005, 06:58 AM
It still makes more sense that Quistis learned to use items better and can bring out their inherent abilities. Like a medicine man or a shaman or something.It seems kinda like the reverse - she uses items, and draws powers from them...

Black Angel
11-17-2005, 12:18 PM
Quistis is a different version of Quina. first four letters are the same.

see?

the only diff is that Quistis doesn't have to eat people. she just eats the items they drop. or body parts.
"malboro tentacles for dinner?! MMM YUM!"
No u mean only the first 3 letters...:greenie: :tongue: :p :D :choc2: :moomba: :choc: :mog:

(I like posting lots of smilies!!!)

rubah
11-17-2005, 10:47 PM
It seems kinda like the reverse - she uses items, and draws powers from them...
It seems about the same either way. Quistisitem > (quistis) + (item)

If it wasn't a special skill she knew, anyone in the party could use blue magic. If they weren't special items, she'd be able to use blue magic with anything.

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
11-18-2005, 09:24 PM
Maybe she empowers the energies of the monsters...? Anyway... I go for the robot from the future theory... heh...heh.