PDA

View Full Version : Why did Diamond attack Midgar?

Lost Number
11-14-2005, 07:05 PM
This is just to see if anyone has any ideas about why Diamond Weapon attacked Midgar and why Meteor struck it. Post any ideas.

Personally I think it was because through out the entire game Shinra is the enemy of the planet. This is backed up by Diamond, Sapphire (Junon) and of course, Meteor. Surely if Sephiroth/Jenova was the real threat then the weapons would attack the Crater? By destroying Shinra the planet is saved.

This is only my opinion. Anyone else is welcome to suggest thier ideas.

GunbladeMaster
11-14-2005, 07:10 PM
Midgar has the most Mako
and Meteor is drawn to the Mako
and sice Midgar has the most amount
Meteor went there
as for y diamond Weapon attacked Junon
i forget :p

Lost Number
11-14-2005, 07:15 PM
Sephiroth/Jenovas aim was to draw all the mako to himself and become a god. He planned to do this by making a huge wound in the planet. Where does it say meteor is drawn to mako? (Seriously. I probably forgot or something.)

GunbladeMaster
11-14-2005, 07:24 PM
i heard it somewhere :sweat:

Lost Number
11-14-2005, 07:26 PM
Where? (Just for clarification)

GunbladeMaster
11-14-2005, 07:29 PM
one of these threads

Lost Number
11-14-2005, 07:33 PM
No details? (Yes, i am obsessive)

GunbladeMaster
11-14-2005, 07:40 PM
argh
i know i saw it somewhere on one of these threads awhile back!

boys from the dwarf
11-14-2005, 07:42 PM
waepons were born from the planet to protect the planet. seems as midgar was absorbing the most mako energy from the planet the diamond weapon went to stop it.

Lost Number
11-14-2005, 07:44 PM
Please?

Good point.

But hey, what about Meteor?

eestlinc
11-14-2005, 07:44 PM
since when does meteor strike midgar?

Lost Number
11-14-2005, 07:51 PM
SPOILER

At the end.
END SPOILER

Masamune·1600
11-14-2005, 08:07 PM
Diamond Weapon attacked Midgar because doing so was in keeping with one of the primary functions of WEAPON.

Consider what Hojo says aboard the Highwind.

Hojo: Weapon... Then it really does exist... I didn't believe in it.

Rufus: What does this mean?

Hojo: ...Weapon. Monsters created by the Planet. It appears when the Planet is
in danger, reducing everything to nothingness. That's what was stated in
Professor Gast's report.

Significant text highlighted for emphasis.

As one can see, Hojo attests that the specific monsters of WEAPON (Diamond Weapon, Ultimate Weapon, and so on) reduce "everything in nothingness" in order to aid the Planet. This information, moreover, was taken from Gast, who would have received enormously accurate information from his wife Ifalna. Given that the Planet was threatened by the Mako Reactors, condensing and refining Spirit Energy into Mako, one can presume that Diamond was attempting to reach Midgar because the city had an enormous populace, which destroyed would return a vast amount of Spirit Energy to the Lifestream.

It also seems possible that the monsters of WEAPON are drawn to what might be called "high-risk" regions, as might be suggested by the actions of Ultimate Weapon. During the Ultimate Weapon sidequest, said monster can be fought at a number of locations: initially the lake/destroyed forest, then it will proceed randomly to Midgar, Fort Condor, Mideel, Gongaga, Mt. Nibel, the Northern Crater, and the Corel Reactor. After Ultimate Weapon's HP is reduced to under 20,000, it will hover between Cosmo Canyon and the Ancient Forest.

From this perspective, all of Ultimate Weapon's targets save the "lake," Mideel, the Northern Crater, and the Cosmo Area have one or more Mako reactors in the immediate vicinity. However, of these four areas, the two where Ultimate Weapon can be fought multiple times (Mideel and the Northern Crater) are both regions where the Lifestream itself emerges from Gaia (which would be similar to reactors, as they apparently tap the Lifestream). Moreover, Sapphire attacks Junon (which has an Underwater Reactor), and Emerald moves about under the sea (where Junon's reactor is located). Ruby, for its part, appears near the Gold Saucer, which undoubtedly needs an enormous amount of Mako energy in order to be maintained. From this view, then, Diamond's assault on Midgar can be seen as an attack on a location where the life of the Planet comes to the surface of Gaia.

As to the matter of Meteor, we're told specifically how the magic functions.

Aeris: ...this must be magic. Just what Sephiroth was saying. The Ultimate
Destructive Magic, Meteor. It finds small drifting planets with its magic. And
then collides with them. This Planet might get wiped out entirely...

Basically, use of the Black Materia could force Meteor and Gaia to collide. This being the case, Meteor's apparent homing in on Midgar is coincidental; it is not being drawn so much toward Midgar as it is being drawn to Gaia.

There is absolutely nothing in the game which suggests that Meteor is drawn to Mako rich regions.

eestlinc
11-14-2005, 08:13 PM
Meteor actually strikes the city of Midgar? as in crashes into Midgar and destroys it?

Lost Number
11-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Meteor is supposed to cause a massive wound, so that all the Spirit energy is drawn to heal it. Surely Sephiroth/Jenova would want to be at this place so as to absorb the most energy?

(We are not shown midgar destroyed. We do not know if Meteor fully collided. All we see is it just before impact with the life stream rushing out to meet it. We then see midgar 500 years later, covered in flowers. We only see Red XIII here so maybe all the humans were killed by Holy... Hey! another good topic!)

Masamune·1600
11-14-2005, 08:21 PM
Meteor approaches Midgar, but is eliminated before it actually strikes the city. Nevertheless, the cyclones kicked up by its approach devastate Midgar and render it essentially uninhabitable. In AC, a new city called Edge has been built on the outskirts of the ruined Midgar. Further, the mass exodus from Midgar is somewhat detailed in Kazushige Nojima's novella On the Way to a Smile, which helps bridge FFVII and AC. Even without looking to these sources, however, it's clear that Meteor never hits the surface of Gaia, as Midgar (though overgrown and abandoned) can still be seen 500 years later. Had Meteor struck the Planet, Midgar would have been annihilated beyond any recognition whatsoever.

EDIT: Lost Number, the mere existence of Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus should completely clear up the misconception that Holy destroyed humanity. Obviously, it didn't.

Also, the wound would be located wherever Meteor struck, and the Lifestream would gather there to heal it regardless of the previous Spirit Energy concentration of the location.

Lost Number
11-14-2005, 08:24 PM
No we do not see it destroyed. The lifestream flows around it. It probably cushioned the blast. We just see Midgar 500 years later.

I have not seen FFVII AC yet.

Damnaígh..I forgot. Im a bloody eejit. Sorry.

Vyk
11-14-2005, 08:31 PM
so maybe all the humans were killed by Holy... Hey!
That's already been discussed quite a few times. The ending was left mysteriously ambiguous specifically so you could draw your own conclusions. And though there is speculation that they may have been hinting most towards this ending, all the sequals denounce it completely. Humanity survived the end of the game FF7. Though its still possible they go extinct within 500 years. Or maybe they just abandon luxury life for some reason and no longer inhabit Midgar (or perhaps even other big cities). Again, its open to interpretation.

Lost Number
11-14-2005, 08:38 PM
Sorry, Sorry I apologize for my outright ignorance.

eestlinc
11-14-2005, 08:51 PM
Meteor approaches Midgar, but is eliminated before it actually strikes the city. Nevertheless, the cyclones kicked up by its approach make devastate Midgar and render it essentially uninhabitable. In AC, a new city called Edge has been built on the outskirts of the ruined Midgar. Further, the mass exodus from Midgar is somewhat detailed in Kazushige Nojima's novella On the Way to a Smile, which helps bridge FFVII and AC. Even without looking to these sources, however, it's clear that Meteor never hits the surface of Gaia, as Midgar (though overgrown and abandoned) can still be see 500 years later. Had Meteor struck the Planet, Midgar would have been annihilated beyond any recongnition whatsoever.
That's what I thought. Glad I wasn't going insane. :D

Vyk
11-14-2005, 09:58 PM
Sorry, Sorry I apologize for my outright ignorance.
You are forgiven.

Its okay though. Ignorance is just the lack of knowlege. We are here to knowlege you... or something.

Lynx
11-15-2005, 12:56 AM
i didnt read everyones posts but i do know that it has something to do with the weapons pupose is to restore the planet and to do so it would need to kill every liveing thing to add to the life stream. midgar and junon happen to be 2 very high poputaled areas.

weapon
11-15-2005, 08:09 AM
hi i am new here and decided to answer my guess.

Diamond weapon attacked weapon because shinra is the true enemy of the planet. The weapons were positioned around sephiroth to watch him. when cloud gave the black materia to sephiroth the weapons were expelled by sephiroth and he put his barrier up. so weapons attack the next best thing which is shinra.

Captain Maxx Power
11-15-2005, 11:44 AM
For kicks. And because they needed a plot device to move things along. And an excuse to have something of proportionate size be owned by the Sistert Ray in a FMV for no apparent reason (check the trajectory of the Sister Ray, the Crater and where Diamond is, it's more magically than the bullet what killed JFK).

Light Mage
11-15-2005, 01:11 PM
Midgar was a huge, giant leech draining Lifestream energy from the planet - WEAPON was there to stop the damage Midgar was doing.

Sephiroth wasn't actively draining lifestream energy, nor was he doing anything to adversly affect the planet.

Of course, thre was know way either the planet or the WEAPONs knew what Sephiroth was actually planning, with the Black Materia and Meteor... so they didn't have any reason to attack him.

Diamond WEAPON wasn't interested in killing the people of Midgar, quite the opposite in fact - but it knew that Midgar was a big threat to the planet's wellbeing, so was intending to attack the city itself, the mako-draining parasite, and not the people.

Lost Number
11-18-2005, 11:16 AM
Heh, some very good points.

By the way I knew about AC and all. I was doing bloody maths homework and it slipped my mind. Whats that thing.. Novella?