PDA

View Full Version : When people skip cutscenes

Necronopticous
11-15-2005, 07:14 PM
Okay, so listen. I love video games. I mean, I think it's safe to assume most of us at least know what it's like to love video games since we're members of a Final Fantasy message board.

So anyway, on top of really loving video games, something else about me is that I am pretty easygoing as far as most things go. What I'm trying to say is that I don't usually get irritated or annoyed by things easily, at least in my opinion and experience.

That said, now I can begin my story. I have a friend who always tells me how he doesn't really care for most of the Final Fantasy series because he never feels like he knows what's going on and that you're never given enough information to progress through the game on your own and have to consult a strategy guide, etc. I never really understood why he had those problems until I showed him Shadow of the Colossus a few weeks ago...

He fires up the game, chooses the new game option and starts whaling away on the start, Circle, X, Triangle, and Square buttons, skipping through the entire introduction sequence. As he plays the game, he also skips every other sequence as soon as the screen goes into wide aspect ratio like a scene is coming on. Of course, if you played this game you would know that these scenes trigger when you get close to a colossus so that the screen will pan toward where you should be going. So after skipping these he runs in the wrong direction and wonders why he doesn't know what's going on, what to do, or where to go.

It was an extremely, extremely annoying experience for me. I used to think it was a flaw if game developers left out the option to skip cutscenes so you didn't have to watch them the second time around, however, I'm starting to think making cutscenes impossible to skip is the best idea ever. Uh, I don't really know why I felt the urge to make a thread about this. I hope I'm not the only person who gets extremely frustrated over this. Any similar experiences? How do you feel about people skipping cutscenes in videogames? Do you skip cutscenes? (I'll kill you) Discuss.

Winter Nights
11-15-2005, 07:18 PM
I only skip through cut scenes if I had already played through it and died, causing me to have to play through it again.

Light Mage
11-15-2005, 07:33 PM
I'd like to be able to skip through the cutscene if you have a saved game that knows you've watched it already before.

But if your friend does that, and dosn't understand, it's their problem.

The number of times I'd wanted to be able to skip the intro to FFX-2 because it's just SO long and I want to start playing a new game.

Azure Chrysanthemum
11-15-2005, 07:52 PM
I rarely skip cutscenes unless I've already seen them and don't care to see them again. My cousin did that a lot too, the first time I saw Zone of the Enders 2 was when he was playing it, and he skipped the entire sequence where the main character gets out of the really crappy mech he was in and gets in the powerful mech. So not only did we have no idea why he was in the mech, it turns out we missed one of the cooler sequences in the game. It was definitely frustrating.

Necronopticous
11-15-2005, 07:54 PM
I hope you punched your cousin in the eye, since he was clearly asking for a punch in the eye.

edczxcvbnm
11-15-2005, 08:05 PM
I skip cut scenes a lot in the very beginning because I am more interested in beating the /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif out of people actually playing the game. After about an hour of playing the game I start to actually watch the scenes and follow the story...unless the game is an RPG. Then I don't skip /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif.

Empu-Dragon
11-15-2005, 08:06 PM
i hate skipping cutsein peaple almost all of my freands do it and i have goten into fist fights over it you know. i think the first time it happend was during ff 9 at a freands house.however if ive already seen it i will skeep a sean

black orb
11-15-2005, 08:06 PM
>>> I have a friend like that too.
I think guys like that wont tell the difference if they are playing FFX or Galaga, its like they just want smash the buttons and kill things.

Madame Adequate
11-15-2005, 08:17 PM
Obviously, it can be frustrating to have to watch cutscenes if you've already seen them, but skipping them the first time you play is something which annoys me to no end. I wholehaertedly support the idea of making them unskippable until you've already seen them once - true, most people will just go make a sammich or something while it plays, but at least some of them might learn something from it.

Miriel
11-15-2005, 08:29 PM
I never skip cutscenes, they're one of the things that make video games so enjoyable. I'm not kidding, I love the cinematic aspect of video games.

It doesn't annoy me when people skip them because they're the ones who are missing out. And if they choose to skip over critical parts of the storyline then that's their business. I think they're being impatient and stupid, but it's their choice.

Your friend is silly. You shoulda yelled at him and told him it was his own damn fault for not understanding what was going on.

Elite Lord Sigma
11-15-2005, 08:39 PM
I only skip cutscenes if I've seen it before and don't want to see it again.

Big D
11-15-2005, 08:39 PM
I never skip cut-scenes the first time through. What's the point? It's like skipping to the action sequences in a movie or book you've never previously seen or read. You get the 'fun stuff', but with absolutely no idea what it's about, why it's happening, what's at stake, and so forth.
Very dumb, in other words.
It's different when you've played the game before, so you know what's happening. But even then, there are plenty of cut-scenes I always watch. For example, in Metal Gear Solid 2 or 3, where crucial details can be hinted at in throwaway cut-scene dialogue.

Destai
11-15-2005, 08:44 PM
I only skip the cutscenes if theyre fucking boring.

Necronopticous
11-15-2005, 08:45 PM
Your friend is silly. You shoulda yelled at him and told him it was his own damn fault for not understanding what was going on.Oh trust me, I did.

Miriel
11-15-2005, 08:52 PM
Did you slap him around a bit and make him cry?

Dreddz
11-15-2005, 09:08 PM
I skip them if Ive already seen, and know such and such will happen.

SeeDRankLou
11-15-2005, 09:34 PM
Yeah I got really annoyed at my first Kingdom Hearts playthrough when I had to watch the scene where Riku/Ansem informs Sora that Kairi's heart was inside of him all the time for the tenth time because I was having trouble beating Riku/Ansem. The scene skipping option would have been nice there. Times like that a scene skipping option is nice.

But otherwise I usually watch cutscenes just in general, even if I have already seen them. I like cutscenes for some games like Resident Evils and Pikmins and Final Fantasies.

Old Manus
11-15-2005, 10:06 PM
It adds to the mystery, y'know

Though in MGS2 it makes no difference as you need mensa-standard intelligence to understand any of it even if you do view the cutscenes

Captain Maxx Power
11-15-2005, 10:09 PM
Your friend is a fool, he's the one missing out. Usually I'll skip scenes only if I'm 100% sure what's going on in them and won't miss out on any vital information. Otherwise I sit it out everytime. Like you say, you'll end up getting confused about what's going on. Saying that if there's text I can read like four times faster than they say it, so I usually skip past the spoken dialogue, but not the text.

Slothy
11-15-2005, 10:32 PM
I only skip cutscenes after playing through at least once, and even then, only if I know it has no bearing on the story or provides no necessary information. Usually if I play a game again, it's because I really liked the story the first time, and want to see it again.

Vermachtnis
11-15-2005, 11:29 PM
The only time I can see skipping cutscenes is: You fought a boss a bunch a times in a row or if you played throught the game more then one time and the cutscenes get a little lengthy like Xenosaga or Star Ocean 3. Some of them cutscenes run over 30 min.

Yuffie514
11-16-2005, 05:51 PM
Any similar experiences? How do you feel about people skipping cutscenes in videogames? Do you skip cutscenes? (I'll kill you) Discuss.

occassionally i do so, but it really depends. it's most likely the opening FMV anyway, and then i'll go back to it. i do this mainly in action games, so that i can get to the thrill of the game.

and i don't mind being on your hit-list :shoot: .

Shoeberto
11-16-2005, 07:29 PM
I skip them if I've seen them before, or if they're re-freaking-diculously long. There's only one game I can think of when that happened, and it was MGS: Twin Snakes. Each cutscene was just so freaking wordy that it seemed to go on for about two hours, and most of the time it was like "Now I have killed you, after you tortured that girl and tried to kill me...wait, what's that? You've suddenly decided that you're not evil? I am sympathetic for your death! I WILL AVENGE YOU!"

crashNUMBERS
11-16-2005, 07:38 PM
I have a reason to skip cut scenes. The only reason why is, say if I died and had to play all over, Id skip what I already saw for over 6 times. Happens a lot in Dynasty Warriors 5. And kingdom hearts. I once made a sandwhich waiting for one scene. Came back up and the battle started right when I finished climbing my stairs...

Tifa's Real Lover(really
11-16-2005, 08:59 PM
Okay, so listen. I love video games. I mean, I think it's safe to assume most of us at least know what it's like to love video games since we're members of a Final Fantasy message board.

So anyway, on top of really loving video games, something else about me is that I am pretty easygoing as far as most things go. What I'm trying to say is that I don't usually get irritated or annoyed by things easily, at least in my opinion and experience.

That said, now I can begin my story. I have a friend who always tells me how he doesn't really care for most of the Final Fantasy series because he never feels like he knows what's going on and that you're never given enough information to progress through the game on your own and have to consult a strategy guide, etc. I never really understood why he had those problems until I showed him Shadow of the Colossus a few weeks ago...

He fires up the game, chooses the new game option and starts whaling away on the start, Circle, X, Triangle, and Square buttons, skipping through the entire introduction sequence. As he plays the game, he also skips every other sequence as soon as the screen goes into wide aspect ratio like a scene is coming on. Of course, if you played this game you would know that these scenes trigger when you get close to a colossus so that the screen will pan toward where you should be going. So after skipping these he runs in the wrong direction and wonders why he doesn't know what's going on, what to do, or where to go.

It was an extremely, extremely annoying experience for me. I used to think it was a flaw if game developers left out the option to skip cutscenes so you didn't have to watch them the second time around, however, I'm starting to think making cutscenes impossible to skip is the best idea ever. Uh, I don't really know why I felt the urge to make a thread about this. I hope I'm not the only person who gets extremely frustrated over this. Any similar experiences? How do you feel about people skipping cutscenes in videogames? Do you skip cutscenes? (I'll kill you) Discuss.
yea happened to me 2, i guess i jus want him to have a great experience, i guess its jus me, i feel annoyed when he skips the scenes cuz i want him to see it,

YukiKiro
11-18-2005, 04:52 AM
i hope you gave your friend a swift kick in the rear followed by a blunt explaination of "no wonder why you have problems" while he's still rubbing his extremely sore bottom. and if he makes the excuse that its boring he either a) is not cut out for the genre, or b) has been playing a boring game to begin with.

that said i don't ever skip cutscenes unless i am in an extreme hurry. i particularly love to see a piece of the story unfold without me having to do a thing, and i certainly don't want to miss a possibly vital piece of information that may be given durring the cutsceen. i also enjoy setting my controller down to watch the more beautiful cutsceens and just enjoy them. however if i have seen a particular cutsceen several times and there is nothing particularly funny or interresting about it i'll skip it.

ljkkjlcm9
11-18-2005, 04:58 AM
I'm all for skipping if you know whats going on, which usually means you have already seen it. I'm also all for skipping really long attacks/summons, like long enough for me to make a sandwich, clean my car, and paint the house.

THE JACKEL

Raven Nox
11-18-2005, 05:17 AM
I have a cousin, named Max, who wanted to play FF, so I let him borrow FFIX. He skipped everything he could, and I had to explain to him what to do next, it was very annoying. I only skip cutscenes if I just saw it and I'm only seeing it again because I died. Even when I restart a game, I read EVERYTHING, and that annoyed my cousin. xD I enjoy talking to people in RPGs. But actually, he's is more of a shooter type person, so yeah.

RSL
11-18-2005, 05:58 AM
I usually love cut scenes in games. I would never dream of skipping them. I guess in a situation where I'm seeing for the tenth time I might want to. But I'm usually not in that situation.

Shlup
11-18-2005, 06:29 AM
Cutscenes are the best part!

I get annoyed playing Guild Wars when I'm doing a mission and everyone gets pissy if someone wants to watch the cutscenes. I'm like "hi, I haven't seen these yet, kiss my butt and die."

Strider
11-18-2005, 06:44 AM
I usually skip a cutscene if I've seen it a million times. In Dawn of Sorrow, for example, I usually skip the last dialogue between Soma and Dmitri because I'd rather just try and kill the final boss. I haven't yet, and have failed many times, and seeing the same thing again and again is just... oy.

Markus. D
11-18-2005, 11:23 PM

We all feel your pain, we all do.

i actually punched my cousin for continuously skipping cut-scenes.

Lionx
11-19-2005, 12:17 AM
Lol i never skip them, although i sometimes do hurry a little bit if its on FFXI and people need to leave and we need to finish a part quickly. But usually they are understanding so its ok :3

I never skip unless its already seen by me. For example those who played Xenosaga will NEED to skip a few if you died to a boss..its just KILLER if you cant. If you wanna skip those scenes play hack and slashes. Even Klonoa has cool scenes ><; and its a platformer.

Pouring Rain
11-19-2005, 01:21 AM
I only skip them if I have already seen it like a billion times, but this one game one I had would never load this one scene for me to progress, so we took it back to the shop, and the dude put it in the PS2 and he was skipping the scenes so fast, he almost skipped the messed up scene! I wanted to kick him, but then I saw the Zelda collection. And I was like "Ooh!" and then I saw Super Smash Bros. Melee. So...yeah xD

Erdrick Holmes
11-19-2005, 04:28 AM
I find it annoying when oe of my friends plays a game and he skips the cutscenes, even ones that show him how to play. He then repeatedly dies and askes me how to do stuff.

crashNUMBERS
11-19-2005, 05:27 AM
I find it annoying when oe of my friends plays a game and he skips the cutscenes, even ones that show him how to play. He then repeatedly dies and askes me how to do stuff.
Yeah man. Im sick of people always complaining about how a cut scene is too long or they just want to play. RPGs are full of em' and your gonna have to watch em'...