PDA

View Full Version : Not That Bad

Dreddz
11-15-2005, 10:49 PM
I feel like everybody bullys FFX-2, I hear people screaming how bad it was, and ill admit, Im not that keen on it myself. But It was actually, looking at it from a birds eye view, not bad at all. Gameplay was pretty fast, fluid and fun. The graphics were good. Lengh wasnt an issue. I feel people just abuse FFX-2 because it was a little disappointing. Or the story wasnt that great, or the style changed alot. But X-2 is still alot better than a crap load of other RPG's IMO.
Anywayz, what are your opinions, better than people realise ?

BG-57
11-15-2005, 10:57 PM
It's a well constructed game, the problem is, it's a sequel. It inevitably comes up short in comparison with FFX. Had the game been with stand-alone characters that didn't come from an earlier, better game, I would have enjoyed it more.

Venom
11-15-2005, 11:13 PM
It needed more exposure.

Evolavas
11-15-2005, 11:14 PM
I agree with u dreddz. final fantasy X-2 gets a lot of crap. but in the long run its not that bad. (excluding the story line) and yes, there are tons of other rpgs that are far worse.

Light Mage
11-15-2005, 11:41 PM
I've never played FFX, so I don't have any basis for comparison, therefore I can appreciate it as a unique game and not as a half-realised sequel.

I like FFX-2.

Markus. D
11-15-2005, 11:57 PM
This is far better then FFX.

raskerino
11-16-2005, 12:11 AM
I thought it was reasonable in many ways- but the storyline which is for me the main part of an rpg is weak as you said. This causes me to bash it more than I should. One point which may go against it is the intelligence that is so frequently shown in this forum... I don't need to go into detail.

krayziesaiko
11-16-2005, 05:25 AM
I actually liked X-2. I wasn't really expecting that much from it, though. I wasn't expecting a good story, cause I thought they made it for fun, and for the fans of X so they would have more stuff to do in Spira. (Since it was a pretty cool world) I liked the gameplay, and I liked the dressphere system. I wish you could have changed jobs in V in the middle of battle!
I think most people bash it because of the story and its not exactly like all the other FFs. But its really not part of the main series so thats to be expected. Its still a fun game, for me at least.

Slade
11-16-2005, 06:03 AM
I liked it. Not as much as any of the others I played but I thought it was fun. I like the speed the game runs at and how your characters aren't all lined up in battle but scattered and move around. The only thing I thought shouldve been done better in the game was this.

I would have liked more of the towns and places you visited again to be different. The only place different was Kilika and the Fayth Wall on Gagazet. You'd think after two years without Sin, tech wouldve boomed. Another thing i wouldve liked is the characters that reapeared from X to have different clothes. Especially Wakka and Lulu. Apart from that the game was fine.
(Thats from an old thread I posted in)
BG-57 has the right idea though, people compare it to X because its a sequel. Thus it gets crap.

phoenix_noway
11-16-2005, 07:22 AM
well if see FF X-2 as a whole separate game that wasnt related to FF X
then it is a OK game because basically the mission is stupid. only counting the graphic and battle system is a average FF product

however the most dispointing thing is that FF X-2 is telling a whole different wasnt related FF X. and they fool us as the beginning, they made the commerical looks like a contunie of FF X however it wasnt.

Markus. D
11-16-2005, 07:45 AM
One point which may go against it is the intelligence that is so frequently shown in this forum... I don't need to go into detail.

o plz du. :p

Old Manus
11-16-2005, 07:52 AM
I shown how bad this game is in FFX-2 THE TRUTH

ThroneofDravaris
11-16-2005, 08:15 AM
o plz du. :p

http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71487

Markus. D
11-16-2005, 09:24 AM
mmmmmm, alot of typos there.

well, back on topic... though the story is short, it has alot of deep history memos to discover through all the missions and chapters.

look_out_below
11-17-2005, 04:21 AM
Well the game was alright. It wasnt so much the graphics or story line that bugged me (come on its Square Enix you can't expect an amazing storyline), but it was in fact the voice actors and side quests that made me have a low opinion of this game. Well and also the fact that you couldnt skip certain scenes, but thats just annoying feature that carried over from FFX.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
11-18-2005, 12:43 AM
I feel like everybody bullys FFX-2, I hear people screaming how bad it was, and ill admit, Im not that keen on it myself. But It was actually, looking at it from a birds eye view, not bad at all. Gameplay was pretty fast, fluid and fun. The graphics were good. Lengh wasnt an issue. I feel people just abuse FFX-2 because it was a little disappointing. Or the story wasnt that great, or the style changed alot. But X-2 is still alot better than a crap load of other RPG's IMO.
Anywayz, what are your opinions, better than people realise ?

I fully agree :p

Ruskies
11-18-2005, 01:50 AM
I didnt think the game was that bad either, I liked the battle system, I liked the dresspheres and the music, and I really liked the characters. The only thing I didnt like was brother and the way that Yuna runs but other than that its good. The story starts off slow but I think once you hit about 40% the story gets really good. I liked FFX-2 and I loved the perfect ending!!!

Primus Inter Pares
11-18-2005, 07:35 AM
Actually, the game isn't that bad for a normal game, for a FF game it's sub par (however I believe we are starting to idolise the older ones). It's mainly the posts in this forum that lead to the frequent flames, and then the lack of decent topics that led to me making that stupid thread and getting temporarily permabanned.

Light Mage
11-18-2005, 11:29 AM
I thought being able to change dresspheres in the middle of battle, while very pretty and scenicly impressive, made it too easy as you didn't have to care about fighting strategy.

Also, what's the point of having abilites unlocked through the process of changing dresspheres, that seemed rather pointless due to the mechanics of how often you could spherechange: ie all of them at once rather than having to wait for your ATB bar to fill up again.

BTW PiP, you're siggy IS SO CUTE!!!:kaohappy2

paenndgrueiwn
11-18-2005, 06:35 PM
I played both x and x-2 and I liked both of them. I haven't played any other FF game though. I like how it's almost a never ending game, like there's always something more you can do. I hate games where you play for a day and you beat it. I have nothing really to complain about it. I thought it was fun.

GunbladeMaster
11-18-2005, 06:41 PM
play 7-9
than go back some years later and play the classics :greenie:

FFGuevara
11-18-2005, 07:26 PM
play 7-9
than go back some years later and play the classics :greenie:

Old Manus
11-18-2005, 11:26 PM
Notice the only people who think that X-2 is good have only played X/X-2

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
11-19-2005, 12:40 AM
Thats not true.
Ive played 7 too.

ThroneofDravaris
11-19-2005, 02:20 AM
Yeah, that doesn’t really help your case…

Kingdom Hearts Fanatic
11-19-2005, 02:25 AM
The people that masterbate toward the girls in the game aren't that different than the group that masterbates towards Tifa and even Final Fantasy VII and possibly Rinoa + FFVIII. It's quite hypocritical and stereotypical to say that a minory of FFX-2 fans typ lik dis cuz there are many cases were VII fanboys, OR ANY fan of a paticular game in the series, type quite incoherently. Also, I was not aware that Rikku was the only female character that has many shrines deticated toward her either, because I pretty see shrines for almost every female character in FF. Double + for the anti-shrines too.

BTW, did I forget to mention the fanboys that bash FFIX type like this (only kidding, though):

''oMfg!11 ix sucks!111 gHey!111 chIldiSH!11 gArnet iz a Fat bItch!11 zidan Ghey!1 oNly kOOl chAtacteRa iZ Vivi aNd AmArant!11 amarANt cuz hE hates EiKo!!11 it sux!!1 fvii betest game eva!!11''

boys from the dwarf
11-19-2005, 11:31 AM
for a game its alright but not brilliant
for an FF its feeble

Old Manus
11-19-2005, 11:34 AM
Yeah, that doesn’t really help your case…

Markus. D
11-20-2005, 11:30 AM

i think this is actually one of my faveorites... yet ive played and beaten.

Final fantasy legend, final fantasy legend 2, final fantasy legend 3, final fantasy 4, final fantasy 5, final fantasy 6, final fantasy 7, Ehghiez (not so much a final fantasy, and ive spelt it wrong), final fantasy 8, final fantasy 10 and final fantasy 10-2.... i think thats about all of the ones ive completed.... wait no.

final fantasy 10 international, final fantasy 10-2 international + last mission.... guess its it.

Rand Al'Tor
11-20-2005, 02:45 PM
Played 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,10-2 and Chrono Trigger. Final Fantasy X-2 is pretty good IMHO. I like it better than any of the SNES Final Fantasies anyway. Not that those are bad, X-2 is just better. But I can understand why lots of people don't like FF X-2. The mood is different than lots of other Final Fantasies. The angst is more hidden behind a cheerful exterior. The game doesn't follow the standard linear pattern. (There IS a linear plot, but it's short. Lots of attention to side-stuff)

I always say the same. Final Fantasy has existed so long because Square has the guts to do something different every game. BECAUSE of that, just about NOBODY will like ALL Final Fantasies. You can't please all the people all the time. But some people, I feel, never gave X-2 a chance to be X-2, and to enterain them as X-2 does. They played it expecting VII or VI or whatever. It's not... It has its own charms. (and no... I'm not talking about SCANDALOUS CLOTHING ZOMG)

Markus. D
11-20-2005, 03:26 PM
sweet as.

Dreddz
11-20-2005, 08:30 PM
thats bull ......

Old Manus
11-20-2005, 10:08 PM
You get the occasional anomaly

rubah
11-20-2005, 10:42 PM
I'm an anomaly:((

Destai
11-20-2005, 11:01 PM
X-2's a very good game.

ThroneofDravaris
11-21-2005, 02:17 AM
If you’re comparing it to Halo, then yes.

Destai
11-21-2005, 04:16 PM
Yknow I find it hard to believe you're the same guy who wrote that Contemporary FF games over criticised thread but you cant see past a very good game because it makes you feel girly.

ThroneofDravaris
11-21-2005, 04:52 PM
FFX-2: Err, well, X was good wasn’t it? Hehe…

And yes, X-2 is a waste of money, even if it did go platinum. I wish X-2 was never made, as it seems to have ruined the reputation of one of the best FF games in the series.

As you can see, I still disapproved of FFX-2 while I was ranting on.

If I ever say that FFI-III is superior to FFX-2 in relation to today’s standards of RPG’s, then by all means; bring up that massive post and take me down. Until then, I fail to see how any of my actions here contradict anything in that post.

FFX-2 is a game that was ruined by stereotypes. Despite the fact that it shouldn’t have existed to begin with, if it was handled correctly it could have been great.

But it wasn’t.

If it wasn’t for the fact that you could skip some of the dialogue sequences, any attempt that I would make at playing this game again would result in me hanging myself. Sorry, the approach that this game utilizes to develop the plot is f@#$ing stupid, IMO. It doesn’t appeal to me at all. Ultimately, this game has a great battle system, great graphics and an almost interesting story which all equates to absolute s@#$ because it was screwed over by unbearable characters and a terrible presentation.

Thus, f@#$ it. This game, and any of its fans who can’t complete a sentence without replacing ‘you’ with ‘u’ and ‘that guy is a moron’ with ‘HE BE DA SUXOR’, deserves everything they get.

Destai
11-21-2005, 05:15 PM
As you can see, I still disapproved of FFX-2 while I was ranting on.Yes and I dont think you should have been when the game isnt as bad as you make it out to be.

If I ever say that FFI-III is superior to FFX-2 in relation to today’s standards of RPG’s, then by all means; bring up that massive post and take me down. Until then, I fail to see how any of my actions here contradict anything in that post.What Im basically saying is you over critiscize it. I wasnt going into great detail. Just taking the gist of what you said.

FFX-2 is a game that was ruined by stereotypes. Despite the fact that it shouldn’t have existed to begin with, if it was handled correctly it could have been great.What stereotypes were these? Paine being overly moody and Rikku being overly hyper? They still had personalitys even if they were girly.

If it wasn’t for the fact that you could skip some of the dialogue sequences, any attempt that I would make at playing this game again would result in me hanging myself. Sorry, the approach that this game utilizes to develop the plot is f@#$ing stupid, IMO. It doesn’t appeal to me at all. Ultimately, this game has a great battle system, great graphics and an almost interesting story which all equates to absolute s@#$ because it was screwed over by unbearable characters and a terrible presentation. What do you mean by a terrible presentation? Rikku and brother could be irritating but the rest of the cast didnt seem to have any particularly irritating factors. Gippal, Nooj, Lenne, Shuyin and Baralai were all new and particularly interesting characters. Only the occasional one was irritating.

Thus, f@#$ it. This game, and any of its fans who can’t complete a sentence without replacing ‘you’ with ‘u’ and ‘that guy is a moron’ with ‘HE BE DA SUXOR’, deserves everything they get.Cant I apply this to FFVII or any popular game also. The X-2 forums the closest thing to god.

ThroneofDravaris
11-21-2005, 05:54 PM
Yes and I dont think you should have been when the game isnt as bad as you make it out to be.
I at least acknowledge that the game play and graphics were rather entertaining, and that I thought it was better than FFI-III. That’s more than most people will give it.

What stereotypes were these? Paine being overly moody and Rikku being overly hyper? They still had personalitys even if they were girly.
But ultimately, even Paine is unfortunately bound to that ‘anime’ girl sort of feel that is present in the other 2 protagonists. This isn’t always a problem (Anime such as Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 plays upon such stereotypes rather successfully), although considering the direction that the game was taken in, it didn’t help.

What do you mean by a terrible presentation? Rikku and brother could be irritating but the rest of the cast didnt seem to have any particularly irritating factors. Gippal, Nooj, Lenne, Shuyin and Baralai were all new and particularly interesting characters. Only the occasional one was irritating.

Presentation means exactly that; the way the game was presented. Countless times I sat through scenes and thought, ‘this scene could have been SO much better if they had said it like this’ or ‘the dialogue could have been much better here if Rikku hadn’t randomly said that.’ As you pointed out, not all of the charcters are terrible in this game (Shuyin ultimately didn’t make much of an antagonists, but he wasn’t unbearable either). However, all it takes is the input of characters such as Rikku, brother or LeBlank to ruin a scene that was starting to show promise (The final scene before the battle with Vegnagun is a good example of this).

Cant I apply this to FFVII or any popular game also. The X-2 forums the closest thing to god.

Believe it or not, I’m not that fond of FFVII fan boys either. However, once in a while an FFVII fan will contribute a half decent thread about symbolism or a plot analysis. This does not happen nearly enough in the FFX-2 forum, most of these threads are absolute crap.

Old Manus
11-21-2005, 06:23 PM
What happened to the cool Destai who hated FFX-2

Rand Al'Tor
11-28-2005, 04:01 PM
Hm, I'm an anomaly too then?

Dialogue in X-2 is a whole different style than other FFs yeah. Most of them have a lot of 'serious, grim' dialogue with some light-heartedness among them, X-2 is generally light-hearted, with now and then some grimness or melancholy in it. Again, if you play the game hoping to get Final Fantasy VII or VIII or X or, heck, any other FF, you WILL be dissappointed. (But that goes for most FFs to some extent) Play the game on its own merits. Try to enjoy FF-x2, instead of playing it while wishing you had FF-VII. If you want to play FF-VII, play FF-VII. They're two different games, that go for two different ways of telling the story.

People tend to overestimate the crap that gets produced, because it's hard to tell something that's well made, but not to your tastes from something that's not to ANYONE'S tastes.

And I LIKED Brother and Rikku's antics.

Slothy
11-28-2005, 10:11 PM

I've played them all and beaten most of them (the main exceptions being FF1-III, and currently X-2 which I'm working on at the moment).

I definitely think the game gets too much flack. The gameplay is some of the best in the series, the non linear style was a nice change of pace, especially after the incredibly linear FFX, the graphics were still great, and it was kind of interesting to see how Spira changed since FFX. I also think the main story was fairly interesting. Granted there's a lot of stuff in there that's little more than pointless filler, that wasn't that great. A lot of stuff worked, some didn't, but the game's far from horrible.

raskerino
11-28-2005, 11:55 PM
And I LIKED Brother and Rikku's antics.

I actually liked them too, Brother was such a bad character, that he made me laugh. I also thought Rikku was fun though she was much better in FFX. I was also okay with Yuna as a character. The problem for me was there was no development. There was nothing new added except for Yuna's total change and Rikku's loss of any seriousness, but that happened at the beginning it wan't developed into. The worst part for me was storyline as I can't stand Paine so any part to do with her was weak. And the Shuyin plot while not actively bad was weak. I did and do enjoy this game though. The gameplay is very enjoyable as are the graphics, I find the character incredibly uneven though generally in the opposite way of mostly people who dislike characters. The storyline was weak, but the game had a fun feel that I enjoyed... I thought it was a good game, but with no claim to being especially great.