PDA

View Full Version : Mario Kart DS (holy ****)

Sephex
11-15-2005, 11:09 PM
I picked up this game today and I hurried over to a local McDonalds to quickly try out the Wi-Fi online experience. I only had time to race one Grand Prix, but it was awesome!

First, the game searches for players worldwide. However, this is limited to four players. Once everybody is connected and ready to go, you select your player and the kind of kart you would like (you can select the same character as someone else). Then you race to the top my competing for points (like the single player GP) across four courses. All players "vote" on a course. Whichever course is selected the most is the one everyone will race on. If all four people select a different course, one of the courses is randomly selected. Courses include new ones, along with some from the SNES version, N64 version, adn the GC version!

When I raced I tied in first with two other racers (the third racer dropped out after the first race) for 28 points. So my official online record is 1 win and 0 losses!

The single player GP mode is back, and it kicks all kinds of ass of...course.

There is a battle mode with 6 or 8 (I can't remember right now) arenas. You can't go online with this mode, but you can face off against 7 other CPU players (you select their difficulty too).

What's really fun is the mission mode (6 "worlds"...I think eight "levels" per main "world") which has you perform special tasks (like collecting coins, bump off cheep cheeps with an invincible star etc.) with a boss "fight" unlocked after you complete all the "levels". You have a limited time to complete the missions. The quicker your time, the better your rank (measured in stars, example: three stars is the best).

This game is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than I expected. Here is some additional info on how to go online.

If you have a wireless router in your home, you are pretty much ready to go (depends on the router...I don't have the info on that...sorry!).

There are other ways to go online, though.

Click the link provided below and you can get this nifty device that hooks to your PC (with Windows XP, no Macs). All you do, after installing the drivers, is plug this stick into a USB port, and you have a 30 ft. range inside your home to go online (side note: some suspect that the Revolution will go online this way)! I'm sure the link explains it better than I do! Click below!

http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?currency=USD&storeId=10001&jspStoreDir=NOASTORE&productId=95704&categoryId=11157&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&ddkey=SetCurrencyPreference

If you don't want to do that, or want to test the online experience, click below!

http://www.nintendowifi.com/

That allows you to find a local Wi-Fi hotspot in your area (if you recall, is what I did to see how MKDS played online)!

Azure Chrysanthemum
11-15-2005, 11:20 PM
You can't do battle mode online though? That's disappointing. Still sounds really fun though.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
11-15-2005, 11:48 PM
wut new chracters?

im gettin a ds soon some im gonna get this game

omnitarian
11-16-2005, 02:35 AM
I already ordered my USB dealie. I that the USB dongle is on backorder though, so I may have to wait. Oh well. I won't be able to pick up MK:DS for a while yet anyway.

Edit: I guess while we're on the subject, here's a bunch of Mario Kart decals I made because I was bored (http://photobucket.com/albums/v451/omnitarian/Mario%20Kart%20Decals/). But I heard you can't really see all of the avatars that well...

Elite Lord Sigma
11-16-2005, 09:00 PM
I want this game so badly for Christmas, and I swear I will be pissed if my parents don't get it. By the way, what's the retail price right now? Also, does Linksys work with the Wi-Fi system?

Tifa's Real Lover(really
11-16-2005, 09:07 PM
wait wifi is not included free with the ds????

Endless
11-16-2005, 09:18 PM
You need an access point, so either through a compatible router/free spot (eg McDo in the US) or with the dongle. Good thing I made a thread about it a few days ago, but no one noticed it too (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=73495). :p

At any rate, game isn't out there yet, but once it is, I shall ram my red shells into your tailpipes!

SeeDRankLou
11-16-2005, 09:19 PM
I got this game yesterday. Fun fun fun :D Haven't tried the WiFi yet, it's on my list of things to do.

On a side note, I live in Houston. Our mayor's next big thing to do is that he wants to WiFi the entirety of Houston, which will be awesome for wireless interenet and DS users. So I can't get married in Texas but soon I will be able to play my DS wherever I want online. You win some you lose some. :D

Tifa's Real Lover(really
11-16-2005, 09:20 PM
IS WIFI INCLUDED IN THE DS??

omnitarian
11-16-2005, 10:35 PM
IS WIFI INCLUDED IN THE DS??

Yes. You just need to find (or make) a hotspot so that it has an access point to go online.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
11-16-2005, 10:35 PM
ok how do i do tht

Empu-Dragon
11-16-2005, 10:44 PM
just go to nintendowifi.com and youl get the info there.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
11-16-2005, 11:57 PM
thxs man im lookin forward to gettin my ds:)

Empu-Dragon
11-17-2005, 12:40 AM
im getten mario cart for christmas along with gta liberty city stories this will be cool

Lionx
11-17-2005, 06:22 AM
Wow i really feel like getting a DS now...screw PSP x_x;a

Tidus Andronicus
11-17-2005, 06:52 AM
I cant wait to get this ^_^;

I'm actually only waiting on my paycheck this friday... lol, although I might hold off till the following friday/weekend... just cause I want the USB adaptor, as well as the Blue DS... XD yah I'm gonna trade in for it...

I also can't wait for Animal Crossing DS! XD

Agent Proto
11-17-2005, 06:53 AM
Haha, I got to play this game. It's as awesome as Sephex pointed out. Good man he is.

Maxico
11-17-2005, 06:56 AM
Yeah it's not like the PSP has WiFi with a the ability to play games online at all.

Although admittedly theres only like one game you can play online at the moment and that's Twisted Metal.
Although I wouldn't be surprised if Sony started pushing it after this.

Yamaneko
11-17-2005, 05:47 PM
I got the game yesterday! It's freaking awesome. There's so much stuff you can do. I don't know how I'm going to complete all the missions and races with three star ratings.

I'll be picking up a wireless router tomorrow.

Elite Lord Sigma
11-18-2005, 09:19 PM
Wow i really feel like getting a DS now...screw PSP x_x;a

Amen!

Shlup
11-18-2005, 09:46 PM
Looks like I'll be trading my PSP for my boyfriend's brother's DS for the weekend.

Sephex
11-18-2005, 11:22 PM
I have enough money to order it, and my computer now meets the requirements to run the USB stick. Needless to say, I ordered it!

Tidus Andronicus
11-19-2005, 04:17 AM
lol... i hate this... i got to wait another week before I can get it... @__@

I hope to god that its not sold out everywhere next weekend cause of xmas shoppers... v.v

as well as the Blue DS... i need to trade mine in for a blue one XD

But with my luck... when i want to go get it... they'll all be sold out... stupid holiday shopers v.v... i guess its good if Nintendo sells a lot this season though XD

Yamaneko
11-19-2005, 10:49 PM
I played online yesterday. It's pretty cool. Too bad there's only 4-player versus mode.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
11-20-2005, 02:42 PM
now i have to wait till chirstmas till mine :mad: least i get it free:)

Endless
11-25-2005, 06:26 PM
I got the game today, gonna train on the championship before going online.

We need a friend code list thread. After all, for now it's only a couple of games, but it's bound to get larger, and it'd be fun to play with fellow EoFFers not just on MK, but later on Animal Crossing or Metroid.