PDA

View Full Version : FF5= least popular?

boys from the dwarf
11-17-2005, 12:51 PM
in the EoFF forums the FF5 forums is usually slow moving and most of the time its as dead as the bird im sitting on. why? why is FF5 the slowest moving forum and why does it seem to be least popular?
discuss.

omnitarian
11-17-2005, 03:08 PM
I dunno if it's the least popular. It's certainly up there in the unpopularity charts, rubbing shoulders with FF2j and FF3j.

Why is it so unpopular? Probably because it took so long to release within the U.S., and even then, it still had "ugly 2D graphics" which modern videogame players didn't like. And since it was packaged with FF6, I guess it could've been overshadowed a bit too, I guess.

crashNUMBERS
11-17-2005, 06:56 PM
Believe it or not, Final Fantasy II is the most underrated FF game out there. Even if FFIIIj was never released out of japan...

rubah
11-17-2005, 10:40 PM
What are you talking about. In a recent study, ff5 was shown to be the most popular forum of the staff.

Dreddz
11-17-2005, 11:26 PM
FFV is one of the most underrated games ive ever laid eyes on, my third favourite FF, its brilliant, everybody on here is just creepy for passing this, although I dont go much on the FF boards down here, I still go through the topics sometimes, FFV board isnt dead, CC is .....

Destai
11-17-2005, 11:27 PM
Its one of the more boring ones if you ask me.

ThroneofDravaris
11-18-2005, 12:11 AM
How so?

crashNUMBERS
11-18-2005, 12:23 AM
Internet\ Gamespot\ Crash_Punk\ My Final Fantasy V Review\ Click on this damn link (http://www.gamespot.com/snes/rpg/finalfantasy5/reader_review.html?id=196505)

Destai
11-18-2005, 12:46 AM
How so?I dont find it as entertaining as the other FF's. Then again I find all the FF's before VI very lacking.

vampirepiggyhunter7
11-18-2005, 12:51 AM
It's not one of my favorites, probably because my Anthology version has a few glitches. But, I think it will kick arse on the GBA, which it, FF4, and FF6 are annoucned for. My least fav. mainstream is FF8.:fpcow:
I'm sorry I just love all of the unique emoticons this site has to offer.

eestlinc
11-18-2005, 01:40 AM
ffv has much better graphics than ffvi does. it's very underrated. There's probably not a lot to discuss though, unless you are playing it through for the first time.

Slade
11-18-2005, 05:36 AM
I dont think its dead. I love this game and its my 3rd favorite Final Fantasy title. I think the reason for the lack of attention in the ff5 forum is the fact that theres never really much to talk about. People dont make any interesting threads to reply to (and dont look at me and say 'why havnt you made one then?', cause if you've noticed my profile, I dont make threads). I find the same in the FFIX forum.....lack of anything to reply to. I for one would love to see more interesting topics in the FFV forum......theres so much to talk about. This game is great.

eestlinc
11-18-2005, 05:53 AM
yea, i check in here lots, but there usually isn't much to say, and i haven't played through it in a while.

Super856
11-18-2005, 05:56 AM
:confused: In the top of FF's V comes second and VII comes first. V sold the most and VII is the most popular.

I for one, think that V is the best FF out there, everything is what I'd want.

Storyline is very, very epic!!!

Graphics (I've seen better 1992 games in the graphics department)

Sound (Some bad and repititive tunes but Gilgamesh's Theme top's it off {NOBOU UEMATSUO is well-known by that song} )

Replay value (I'd just play it again and agian and again {I'm on my sixth time through now and I've finished it all five times} )

Gameplay (Without the Job System this game probably would be anywhere near as fun!)

Fun factor (Duh! Funniest FF out there!)

Difficultly (I personally found this a bit weak, while its hard near the start it gets too easy towards the end).

How can you say that FFV is the least popular. It's my favourite game -on any platform!!!!! (My FFV is on PSX and is very glitchy :( )

boys from the dwarf
11-18-2005, 07:06 AM
and the bit where galuf dies is one of the most amzing scenes out of any FF. even more dramatic than aerises death.

Destai
11-18-2005, 04:12 PM
and the bit where galuf dies is one of the most aamzing scenes out of any FF. even more dramatic than aerises death.If I had my way you wouldnt get an opinion.

eestlinc
11-18-2005, 04:16 PM
the galuf scene is way more dramatic, even if it looks a lot more stupid in 16 bit.

Destai
11-18-2005, 04:55 PM
I really cant understand why. Its not as if the script was particularly good for the scene. Or that the music was particularly impressive or that the graphics were great for it. To be honest I'd say your just nostalgic to a game you like.

Dreddz
11-18-2005, 04:56 PM
When faris's dragon thing went into the ocean leaving her, yea, not really something amazing seeing it in 16 bit .....

Chris
11-18-2005, 09:35 PM
I liked this game and I still do. I think it's fairly good, and it does have some pretty intense moments and characters.

rubah
11-19-2005, 02:17 AM
It's because galuf was A Good Person, and aeris was just weird and too-flirty.

eestlinc
11-19-2005, 02:22 AM
yea, I really didn't care about Aeris very much.

boys from the dwarf
11-19-2005, 06:57 AM
When faris's dragon thing went into the ocean leaving her, yea, not really something amazing seeing it in 16 bit .....
i agree with that but the galuf scene is awesome.

Super856
11-19-2005, 11:45 AM
We all know that it is 16-Bit! It seems that the only excuse for not liking it much in this forum is the graphics, god! You can't rate a game on graphics it doesn't work like that, I've already stated my opinion and it's fools like Destai and Dreddz who think different. The graphics were good for 1992 and anyone who thinks opposite is too cocky to admit it.

Galuf had a cheeky sense of humour and an amazing personality. Galuf was just Galuf - and one of the best things about him was that you couldn't change who he was, or what he did. I was so sad when he died and very angry when I found out that his 14 yr old grand-daughter took his place. She never was the same.... but her berserker and white mage costume cheered me up.

I'm playing my sixth time through now and I don't want Galuf to die again. Everytime I play he dies. It's an on-going cycle which never ends. I think sometimes I just play again to share those moments with Galuf... he was my favourite out of them all.

bipper
11-19-2005, 11:58 AM
the galuf scene is way more dramatic, even if it looks a lot more stupid in 16 bit.

Agreed, note how they never even tried to cure Aeries? hrm...

bipper

Destai
11-19-2005, 12:23 PM
We all know that it is 16-Bit! It seems that the only excuse for not liking it much in this forum is the graphics, god! You can't rate a game on graphics it doesn't work like that, I've already stated my opinion and it's fools like Destai and Dreddz who think different. The graphics were good for 1992 and anyone who thinks opposite is too cocky to admit it.Alright shut up now. I already said that nothing else in the scene was impressive either. It doesnt matter if the graphics were impressive for 1992. It still looked unimpressive. Maybe you're just being a graphics whore.

Galuf had a cheeky sense of humour and an amazing personality. Galuf was just Galuf - and one of the best things about him was that you couldn't change who he was, or what he did. I was so sad when he died and very angry when I found out that his 14 yr old grand-daughter took his place. She never was the same.... but her berserker and white mage costume cheered me up.You've never seen a dirty old man with a storyline in an RPG or anime? Ok someone doesnt get an opinion.
His character may have had alot of depth in those days but he still didnt have alot of depth.
I'm playing my sixth time through now and I don't want Galuf to die again. Everytime I play he dies. It's an on-going cycle which never ends. I think sometimes I just play again to share those moments with Galuf... he was my favourite out of them all.yeah just conforming you're somewhat of a fanboy. I'd have said major fan but you have that tendency to call someone who disagrees with you a fool. Idiot
Agreed, note how they never even tried to cure Aeries? hrm...

bipperPhoenix downs come up a little lacking when someone shoves a sword through your uterus.

Cecinda
11-19-2005, 12:43 PM
Maybe Aeris and Galuf hooked up in the afterlife.

eestlinc
11-19-2005, 04:01 PM
what the hell, people are flaming each other over ff5? Stop it now. No more "fool" or "idiot" comments.

ThroneofDravaris
11-19-2005, 04:13 PM
Don’t worry. I’m sure they will lose interest eventually and this forum will be nice and dead again...

Maybe that's what this forum needs: more flame wars!

boys from the dwarf
11-19-2005, 05:13 PM
i hate it when people judge on graphics! it make nearly no difference.

Christmas
11-19-2005, 05:20 PM
If somebody bother to flame another person that criticize FF V, it show that it isn't that unpopular afterall.

rubah
11-19-2005, 05:28 PM
Actually, the graphics weren't *that* good for 1992. Sadly to say, they were about the same as ff4's.

eestlinc
11-19-2005, 05:45 PM
I still think ff5 looked a lot better than ff6.

dragoonknight_kain
11-19-2005, 05:46 PM
FF5 was a big disappointment. I really enjoyed it until much later in the game. I liked the job classes and everything. But, by the time I was nearly finishing it, I started to get really annoyed. The characters are soo stupid (Butz is the worst main character ever), Ex- Death isn't that cool..... And the ability system is terrible.... Each character had over 30 abilities, but I could only use one, apart from the default one for a job class, what really sucks.... And the ending......... it was then that I completely lost faith on this game...... terrible.

rubah
11-19-2005, 05:51 PM
You can use three abilities with the Mime jobclass, and two with bare, as well as all the powerups that you've earned for each class.

So, that's potentially ten abilities, or eight+fight+item+powerups.

I can't agree with you on that, eest, ff6 had some amazing graphics. The phantom forest comes to mind particularly.

bipper
11-19-2005, 06:25 PM
Graphics wise, super mario RPG was the SNES best - hands down. Does that make the scenes any better? The appeal of the character better? Nope.

Aries was 3d, and I still felt more sorry for general leo's death, as he took on the main villian out of need, not idoiocy.

The excuse that graphics make a scene is merely a sign of a lack of imagination or motivation to use your imagination. No flaming intended. Just saying that to simply say the scene sucked cause it was 16 bit, is like saying a book sucks cause it has no pictures - or 3d, high pligonal, super high resolution textures, and antialiased graphics.

There are many factors that go into a scene, the graphics being just one. I look at plot, music, lighting, graphics, story, and character as the most pivoting qualities of what makes a great scene. All of which i feel FFV lived up to. Minus character... butz

Bipper

Christmas
11-19-2005, 06:26 PM
Let's compare then...

http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/avatars/0/4/kain.gifFinal Fantasy IV http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy5/Party/Bartz%20-%20Lancer.gif Final Fantasy V

Looks more or less the same....

http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy5/Party/Bartz%20-%20Normal.gifFinal Fantasy V http://www.videogamesprites.net/FinalFantasy6/Party/Terra/Terra%20(Left).gifFinal Fantasy VI

I do see some differences....

dragoonknight_kain
11-19-2005, 06:58 PM
You can use three abilities with the Mime jobclass, and two with bare, as well as all the powerups that you've earned for each class.

So, that's potentially ten abilities, or eight+fight+item+powerups.

Well, I didnt really like the Mimic and Monk classes, so I could only use one ability. And those abilities like HP + 30% I had to equip them, so it meant losing a space for an attack ability. I played ff5 with a translated ROM for the SNES. I don´t know if the PSX version corrected these flaws, but when I played it, I could only equip one ability per character (apart from monks and mimics, of course).

Destai
11-19-2005, 07:13 PM
Aeris was 3d, and I still felt more sorry for general leo's death, as he took on the main villian out of need, not idoiocy. What do you mean idiocy? Are you still comparing Leo to Aeris in that comment?

And I dont think I've said that graphics make a scene dramatic in this thread if any of thats intended at me. Although thinking about it yeah, I think its one of the bigger factors undeniably. When reading a book you can imagine the scene but a video game shows you it so FFV's gonna come up lacking.

Christmas
11-19-2005, 07:22 PM
And I dont think I've said that graphics make a scene dramatic in this thread if any of thats intended at me. Although thinking about it yeah, I think its one of the bigger factors undeniably. When reading a book you can imagine the scene but a video game shows you it so FFV's gonna come up lacking.

I think one of the factors is how much you are emotionally attached to this character.

Destai
11-19-2005, 07:26 PM
I think one of the factors is how much you are emotionally attached to this character.Galuf's a very popular character. If the scene was really dramatic I think it would have made me care. Would you agree?

Christmas
11-19-2005, 07:37 PM
Galuf's a very popular character. If the scene was really dramatic I think it would have made me care. Would you agree?

Hmm..... You see like Vivi, he just said a few words in the end and kicked the bucket. But yet people did feel sad about his death (or some people dun even know he died...) but at least I did feel sad because I am pretty attached to him throughout the game knowing his story and see how he grows.

So whether someone will care in my opinions is based on how much feelings you have for a character.

As for Galuf, I think it is pretty dramatic seeing him taking on Ex Death on his own and other stuff like Ex Death can never beat him.

So what do you think should be included or excluded to make it more dramatic?

Destai
11-19-2005, 07:39 PM
Hmm..... You see like Vivi, he just said a few words in the end and kicked the bucket. But yet people did feel sad about his death (or some people dun even know he died...) but at least I did feel sad because I am pretty attached to him throughout the game knowing his story and see how he grows.

So whether someone will care in my opinions is based on how much feelings you have for a character.

As for Galuf, I think it is pretty dramatic seeing him taking on Ex Death on his own and other stuff like Ex Death can never beat him.

So what do you think should be included or excluded to make it more dramatic?Im not the director and I dont have any improvements to give. I just didnt think it was a dramatic scene plain and simple.

rubah
11-19-2005, 07:44 PM
Well, I didnt really like the Mimic and Monk classes, so I could only use one ability. And those abilities like HP + 30% I had to equip them, so it meant losing a space for an attack ability. I played ff5 with a translated ROM for the SNES. I don´t know if the PSX version corrected these flaws, but when I played it, I could only equip one ability per character (apart from monks and mimics, of course).
Just because you use galuf as a monk so often that you think those are his real clothes, doesn't mean that bare=monk ;) (I do that. I restarted the game and saw galuf's real clothing and was like "wtp, when did he dress like this?" then when I got back to the monk job class and slid him in it I understood)

But yes, if you're bare, suppin, don't have any job class you're dressed up in, y ou get to choose two abilities.

And people do choose this once they master all the others because of the reasons mentioned before.

I beat the game the first time with mimic:] mimicking the bahamut summon= <3

Christmas
11-19-2005, 07:46 PM
Oh ya...since we are talking about Galuf now, maybe people will be interested in this (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=68510)....

eestlinc
11-19-2005, 08:38 PM
I can't agree with you on that, eest, ff6 had some amazing graphics. The phantom forest comes to mind particularly.
some of the graphics in ff6 are great, but the overwold is so freaking ugly and horrible that it cancels everything else out.

also, more detailed does not necessarily equal better looking. ff5 has simpler graphics than ff6 but they are more aesthetically pleasing.

rubah
11-19-2005, 08:40 PM
it means well.

Didn't they use the same type of rendering for the meteor crashes in ff5 that they used for ff6's overworld? Those looked pretty ugly too.

eestlinc
11-19-2005, 09:03 PM
yea but those are over quickly.

dragoonknight_kain
11-19-2005, 11:05 PM
Just because you use galuf as a monk so often that you think those are his real clothes, doesn't mean that bare=monk ;) (I do that. I restarted the game and saw galuf's real clothing and was like "wtp, when did he dress like this?" then when I got back to the monk job class and slid him in it I understood)

But yes, if you're bare, suppin, don't have any job class you're dressed up in, y ou get to choose two abilities.

And people do choose this once they master all the others because of the reasons mentioned before.

I beat the game the first time with mimic:] mimicking the bahamut summon= <3

I used Galuf as a monk on the first 5 hours of the game... then I used him as a thief, blue mage, black mage.

My final party was:
Knight (Butz)- with double grip
Ninja (Faris)- with equip katana
Dragoon (Cara)- with black magic
Summoner (pink-haired girl that I just can't remmber the name)- with white magic

And, talking about Galuf, he's the best character in the game, in my humble opinion.:D

Shin Gouken
11-22-2005, 07:37 AM
FF5 was a big disappointment. I really enjoyed it until much later in the game. I liked the job classes and everything. But, by the time I was nearly finishing it, I started to get really annoyed. The characters are soo stupid (Butz is the worst main character ever), Ex- Death isn't that cool..... And the ability system is terrible.... Each character had over 30 abilities, but I could only use one, apart from the default one for a job class, what really sucks.... And the ending......... it was then that I completely lost faith on this game...... terrible.

the story was ok, the script pretty crap, the characters flat but the job system? dnt be dissing the job system. ffv was as much a strategy as an rpg. you have to apply the abilities when you need them and formulate small and sometimes complex strategies with what you have. you dont stick with the same abilities for long, you change them to suit your needs. when you get further into the game and you have an arsenal of abilities then thats when the fun starts. knowing how to use them means you can defeat the hardcore enemies on supremley low levels

Aurora_sword
11-22-2005, 11:48 PM
I'm sure FF3 is less popular

ScottNUMBERS
11-23-2005, 01:15 AM
I don't care if FF5 is the most hated game in the world I still love it. :love:

ShivaBlizzard8
11-24-2005, 06:28 AM
This forum is slow simply because FF5 is a crapload more fun to play than it is to talk about. :p

dragoonknight_kain
11-27-2005, 03:26 AM
I didn't change my abilities much(I changed between black or jump, white or time, equip katana or attack 4x), mainly cuz I didn't need it. The only bosses I had difficult with were Omega and Shinryu (or somethig like it). I din't beat them mainly cuz I was already pissed off with the game, and I had just bought my ps2 when I was on the last dungeon,so I wanted to play FFX as soon as possible. :p

crazymoronx
12-14-2005, 05:02 PM
Well I just signed up about 30 minutes ago, but anyway...

I think it's less popular than others, becuase people are dumb.

That's the only thing I can come up with.

FFV was one of the better Final Fantasies in my opinion. It was kind of funny at times, I really liked the class system, and the music wasn't half bad either.

So, the only possible reason it isn't popular, is because people are dumb. Yes, that must be true.

Shin Gouken
12-14-2005, 06:42 PM
Well I just signed up about 30 minutes ago, but anyway...

I think it's less popular than others, becuase people are dumb.

That's the only thing I can come up with.

FFV was one of the better Final Fantasies in my opinion. It was kind of funny at times, I really liked the class system, and the music wasn't half bad either.

So, the only possible reason it isn't popular, is because people are dumb. Yes, that must be true.

ooooooo another final fantasy v fan :) tis the best final fantasy along with viii in my opinion

welcome and post lots :)

Squall-101
01-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Its one of the more boring ones if you ask me.
Well...i don't agree with you, it's one of the funnests if you ask me...even though i haven't finished it yet, i still like it

Soul of Tarsis
01-07-2006, 10:07 AM
That member is kind of banned...

Although for the record, I don't agree with him either. FFI-4 are far more boring than FFV...

Squall-101
01-07-2006, 07:50 PM
That member is kind of banned...

Although for the record, I don't agree with him either. FFI-4 are far more boring than FFV...
Thank you, someone agrees with me.
:)

Lychon
01-10-2006, 07:22 PM
Come on guys, we all know Final Fantasy VIII (that's right, 8, not 7) is the best Final Fantasy, but FFV is by no means unpopular. I've seen polls where it is ahead of FFVII and FFVIII in preference. Most people here talk about post VI, which is when Final Fantasy revolutionized the world...

Zeromus_X
01-15-2006, 03:51 AM
i always thought ffII got the most smack talked about it. meh.

the one thing i really like about this game is those wacky SCCs (Single Class Challenge) where you play with all the characters as the same class the whole game. (use a code to to get all jobs at the beginning just so ya know.)

not that id have the nerve to start one...:p

but anyway, ive seen alot of ffV fans, so it really cant be the most unpopular ff. ive seen more smack talked about ffII and VIII than the others...:choc2:

rubah
01-15-2006, 06:11 AM
I love ff2, ff5, and ff8.

eestlinc
01-15-2006, 06:42 AM
ff2 gets a lot of bad talk because the levelling system is not very well executed.

Robesphere
01-15-2006, 03:51 PM
ff2 gets a lot of bad talk because the levelling system is not very well executed.

It is? And I thought it was great! =D

Well, personally I like ff2 far more than ff1 or 3. After all this game was the first one which had characters with real identities.

And FFV's Job-System just ruled.