PDA

View Full Version : America's Imperialism

Precious Garnet
11-18-2005, 01:26 AM
Hey I was just wandering what imperialism means? Like for example would this be called American imperialism over Panama if they sent military troops to help Panama fight for independence against Colombia and then after the U.S. won the war, Panama and U.S. sign a treaty which gives Panama independence and enabled the U.S. to build the canal in Panama. Would the U.S. being able to control the 10-mile wide canal zone be called imperialism???

nik0tine
11-18-2005, 01:27 AM
Yes, I would think so.

Drao
11-18-2005, 01:29 AM
Yes it is, and a better thing to ask is the US really a democracy or is it only a few steps away from being a Fascist nation? And from what I am learning in my Sociology class the answer is yes.

Rye
11-18-2005, 01:30 AM
Somewhat, as the president (I do believe it was a Roosevelt?) fought very hard to get that land, because it was vital for something important in history which I forgot. Getting to the west coast to bring stuff to Hawaii to fight in the war, I think.

But, get ready kiddos, it's that time again! This is gonna be an ANTI-USA THREAD! Let's get ready, fellow Americans, to be called fat corrupt immoral slobs who drive gas guzzlin' monster trucks at 90 miles per hour potentially crushing small countries and bunny rabbits! Wheeeeeee! :love:

nik0tine
11-18-2005, 01:32 AM
<!--Hey Cloud 9, OVER HERE!!!-->
*snip*

This was absolutely NOT necessary. Please do NOT provoke other members. ~ Leeza

Drao
11-18-2005, 01:33 AM
Really though if you people knew half the things the CIA and our government really did you people would be throwing up big time.

GhandiOwnsYou
11-18-2005, 01:40 AM
Jeebus christ. I just love seeing these things. the word "flame bait" comes to mind something serious.

and... I'm thinking the Panama canal isn't really our best example. I mean, Look at the islands in the tropics that aren't "states" persay but are under US protection and influence. frankly, pretty much any major world power is going to be "imperialist" to some degree.

Now that i've said something mildly neutral. *raises insta-shield of protection before deluge of hate and criticism falls upon all americans, regardless of truth, relevancy, and ignoring the actions of any other current or past nationto focus solely on "american evil and corruption"*

Hawkeye
11-18-2005, 01:49 AM
I think a good example of American Imperialism is spreading democracy across the world and during the mid-20th century, the forceful halt on communism, or attempted halt at any rate

Drao
11-18-2005, 01:50 AM
Well if that is where I was headed then I'll stop, but most of the world hates Americans and American citizens don't even know the real reasons why, it's really a sad situation this whole world is in. But Like I said before I shall now stop.

nik0tine
11-18-2005, 01:54 AM
but most of the world hates Americans and American citizens don't even know the real reasons whyThats because no full fledged American adult can think past their TV screens.

Drao
11-18-2005, 01:56 AM
Actually it's because our media is controlled by the Multi-national corporations who also own the CIA, WTO, IMF, WORLD BANK, and our own stinking government. They get us to only watch sports and not get politically active.

eestlinc
11-18-2005, 01:57 AM
if America sucks so bad why don't you

a) move somewhere else
b) get off your ass and fix it
c) whine about it over the internet
d) troll an internet forum

nik0tine
11-18-2005, 01:57 AM
Actually it's because our media is controlled by the Multi-national corporations who also own the CIA, WTO, IMF, WORLD BANK, and our own stinking government. They get us to only watch sports and not get politically active.Like I said, it's because nobody can think past their TV screens.

Drao
11-18-2005, 01:59 AM
True that, I thought you were refering to some other aspect of American culture, and to that other person I am working on things to fix the problem.

GhandiOwnsYou
11-18-2005, 01:59 AM
*chuckle* I'm sure you will. Actually, we know why you hate us. You assume that we find ourselves to be superior to you and as such deem our methods of government to be more suitable and "right" as opposed to any others. And when pigheaded politicians try to impose on foreign matters, everyone gets their panties in a bunch.

Newsflash to all of you, this aint new. before America was the A**hole country, it was britain, or france, or the Roman empire, or the Freaking Chinese. pick an era, there was some A**hole country who's politicians were convinced they were right. and, right along with it, a good majority of the citizens in those countries didn't agree with it. everyone. thinks. they're. right. You have your opinions, and you think you're right. whether that opinion is that "everyones entitled to their own opinion" or fascism, whenever someone with a different opinion tries to influence someone? people are going to cry about it. so whatever, nobody's going to shut up about big evil america until something else becomes "bigger" and "more evil" in the world view. My bet? China. Yeah, China will try and take over japan or something in a bit and then China will be the A**hole country. so go ahead, cry about how big and evil and egotistical and whatever else "america" is, but it makes you as ignorant as you claim we are, because, once again, ninety percent of us don't agree with it anyway. so have fun with the b****ing.

Leeza
11-18-2005, 02:02 AM
If this thread continues in this fashion it will be closed faster than fleas can jump on my cats.

Drao
11-18-2005, 02:05 AM
Well anyways, I never said I hated the US and I am as American as an American can get, but since our government gets us to think safety net programs like medicare, madecaid, and welfare are bad and thus puts more of our taxes to fund the M.I.C. it just makes me so mad. And what's worse Bush is trying to get rid of the Endangered Species Act.

But now I shall stop and get back to the orginal question, Yes the US's actions can be considered imperialistic.

FFGuevara
11-18-2005, 02:10 AM
For those who do not know what Imperialism is, here is a short definition provided by dictionary.com

imperialism n. The policy, practice, or advocacy of seeking, or acquiescing in, the extension of the control, dominion, or empire of a nation, as by the acquirement of new, esp. distant, territory or dependencies, or by the closer union of parts more or less independent of each other for operations of war, copyright, internal commerce, etc.

Shortly put, that means a nation state trying to extend its control or influence over an area or country, in aggresive diplomacy, or direct military invasion.

I would also like to note that the countries here are only those affected negatively by imperialism and also, that I have only listed countries that were directly affected by imperialism, this includes;
Installing puppet leaders, squashing of a coup , assasination of a leader, helping a coup against a leader, spreading of propaganda and trade blockades
So most , (if not all) of the countries listed will have had one or more of the previous actions inflicted upon them by the United States of America.

Countries affected by American Imperialism:
Afghanistan

Angola

Argentina

Bosnia

Bolivia

Brazil

Cambodia

China

Chile

Cuba

Columbia

Croatia

The Dominican Republic

El Salvador

Egypt

Germany

Greece

Grenada

Guam

Guatemala

Guyana

Haiwa&#239;

Ha&#239;ti

Honduras

Iceland

Iran

Iraq

Libya

Lebanon

Panama

Peru

Phillipenes

Puerto Rico

Poland

Korea (North & South)

Kuwait

Laos

Libya

Nicaragua

Macedonia

Mexico

Samoa

Saudi Arabia

Somalia

South Africa

Soviet Union

Sudan

Oman

Venezuela

Vietnam (North & South)

Virgin Islands

Yugoslavia

Zaire (Congo)

Here are website's if you still try to denie such atrocities

http://www.neravt.com/left/invade.htm

http://cpa.org.au/special.html

I think a good example of American Imperialism is spreading democracy across the world and during the mid-20th century, the forceful halt on communism, or attempted halt at any rate
What good is "democracy" if your STARVING to death along with 80% of the population? And in the 50's-70's they supported Fascist/Military dictators. I would rather have a good president/dictator like Fidel castro with a good and relaxing life. Then to have some bloody idiot like Bush while i live in a 1 room apartment and a 14 hour per day on minimum wage.

<b>Use the edit button instead of double posting please.

Also, you said Lybia twice. --foa</b>

Hawkeye
11-18-2005, 02:34 AM
I believe you interpeted my post wrong. I never meant to say that the example was "good" to say that it benefits others, just a "well-put" example of how American Imperialism is

FFGuevara
11-18-2005, 02:43 AM
I believe you interpeted my post wrong. I never meant to say that the example was "good" to say that it benefits others, just a "well-put" example of how American Imperialism is
But it didnt benefit them at all. The only one who got benefits was the US goverment and the dictator that was sucking up too them.

GhandiOwnsYou
11-18-2005, 02:49 AM
Yeah, Cuba. That makes awesome sense. The country that ships thousands of illegal immigrants over to us in innertube rafts who are just praying that the currents take them to Miami and away from the coast guard. obviously, everyone there has a "happy, relaxing" life. The reason people come to the US is because the standard of living is good. we have a retard for a president, granted. most people have retards for presidents. we might have a bigger one, thats luck of the draw i guess. It's the problem with democracy on any kind of large scale. you either establish a fascist government and deal with a set brand of idiot, or you go democratic with Billions of citizens to satisfy, and you get two different types of vague, middle line, idiot to choose from. we have two parties, and aside from whether thetaxs get raised a tenth of a percent or get lowered a tenth of a percent, and whether the president is pro-choice or pro-life, I don't really see half a craps worth of difference in my daily life. why is that? because with billions of citizens to make happy, politicans will always ride the middle line. then people on either extreme get pissed. this differs from a fascist govt. in that in a fascist govt, they ride whatever line they decide they want to ride. then the people that don't believe in THAT line get pissed. and then killed.

Me? i'll take democracy. as screwed as it is, it's the best choice you've got for satisfying a larger percentage of the populus. aside from some kind govt. consisting of 20 person groups in communes across the country, without any federal backing, that the best your going to get with making everyone happy.

Edit: and i think you still took that wrong. he said it Good as in "fitting example" not good as in "good idea" or "morally right"

FFGuevara
11-18-2005, 03:17 AM
Yeah, Cuba. That makes awesome sense. The country that ships thousands of illegal immigrants over to us in innertube rafts who are just praying that the currents take them to Miami and away from the coast guard. obviously, everyone there has a "happy, relaxing" life. The reason people come to the US is because the standard of living is good.
The majority of those refugees are NOT Cuban. They are from other Latin American nations. And their living standards own the living standards of other Capitalist Latin American countries.

We have a retard for a president, granted. most people have retards for presidents. we might have a bigger one, thats luck of the draw i guess.
And a huge flaw in the current system of Democracy.

It's the problem with democracy on any kind of large scale. you either establish a fascist government and deal with a set brand of idiot, or you go democratic with Billions of citizens to satisfy,
Would you of been satified if you could barelly afford anything and lived on a minimum budget? According to a recent poll the majority of Russians WISHED they still had the USSR, since at least then a Dentist apointment didnt cost $10,000 like now.

and you get two different types of vague, middle line, idiot to choose from. we have two parties,
Where's the choice in that? Your choices are narrowed down to 2 parties? And Both of them are similar! Thats not a choice a ability to choose would be several parties different from each other.

and aside from whether thetaxs get raised a tenth of a percent or get lowered a tenth of a percent, and whether the president is pro-choice or pro-life, I don't really see half a craps worth of difference in my daily life. why is that? because with billions of citizens to make happy, politicans will always ride the middle line.
.... And why cant you do that without Democracy? And what do you even mean by "middle line"? If you havent noticed these past 5 years you've been going more right winged everyday.

then people on either extreme get pissed. this differs from a fascist govt. in that in a fascist govt, they ride whatever line they decide they want to ride. then the people that don't believe in THAT line get pissed. and then killed.
Why are you telling me this? I already know Fascism sucks. Seriouslly why even mention the obvious about Fascism?

Me? i'll take democracy. as screwed as it is, it's the best choice you've got for satisfying a larger percentage of the populus. aside from some kind govt. consisting of 20 person groups in communes across the country, without any federal backing, that the best your going to get with making everyone happy.
If you wanna satify the majority then dont leave them starving looking for scrape's. Democracy is good but whats the use if your going to starve to death or your homeless?