PDA

View Full Version : wtf is hyne?

Sess020
11-18-2005, 06:48 AM
When I got back with the Ragnarok, an estharian said something about Rinoa being Hyne's descendant.
I don’t remember anything else in the game that refers to Hyne...
Who is that?

boys from the dwarf
11-18-2005, 07:13 AM
when you go to balamb at the start of the game when you leave garden for the first time theres a house with an old man and a little girl and if you listen to everything they say about the legend of hyne the god.

Christmas
11-18-2005, 07:20 AM
Here:

http://www.icybrian.com/fanficresource/ff8vascaroon.php

Kamrusepas
11-18-2005, 09:38 AM
I didn't know that :eek:

Thanks Unknowns :love:

GunbladeMaster
11-18-2005, 05:44 PM
Creator of the world as we know it :shifty:
....the Great Hyne :bow:

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
11-19-2005, 11:12 AM
eeeewwwww

dragoonknight_kain
11-19-2005, 06:07 PM
I didn't remember that!!! But I remember that, on the Ragnarok, when discussing the Ultimecia plan, Ward or Kiros mentioned Squall parents. I got totaly lost, it was the first time his parents were mentioned (at least I think it was), and Squall didn't give a /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif to this piece of information. Does anyone knows anything about this??

GunbladeMaster
11-19-2005, 06:09 PM
Laguna is squalls dad
Raine is squalls mom

dragoonknight_kain
11-19-2005, 06:15 PM
Was this said in the game?! I cant' believe I'm this stupid. Did you deduce this, or you read in the game??

GunbladeMaster
11-19-2005, 06:16 PM
its in the game
talk to them on the ragnorok
and im sorry u had to find it out this way :D

Zeromus_X
11-19-2005, 06:18 PM
hynes also the name of a skeleton boss in ff3. (though i dont know if they are related in any way.)

dragoonknight_kain
11-19-2005, 06:29 PM
No problem. But I think I just forgot it(I played FF8 a looong time ago...), cuz I remember talking to everyone in Ragnarok, and I spent a long time talking with Laguna, Ward and Kiros. But who knows.... maybe I'm just stupid. :p

Christmas
11-19-2005, 06:34 PM
No problem. But I think I just forgot it(I played FF8 a looong time ago...), cuz I remember talking to everyone in Ragnarok, and I spent a long time talking with Laguna, Ward and Kiros. But who knows.... maybe I'm just stupid. :p

They never say that Laguna is Squall's dad but a lot of hints is dropped...

1) Laguna = Lagoon. Raine = Rain. Squall = Brief windstorm, usually with snow or rain.

All these names are connected, they are all to do with water.

2) Raine and Laguna had a child together. That child was sent to the orphanage

The children in the orphanage at that time were as we all know, Squall, Seifer, Ellone, Quistis, Zell, Irvine and Selphie.

Ellone is the adoptive sister to that newborn child, and spends a significant part of her life trying to get Laguna back to Raine and this child.

Coincidentally, who is the one person in the orphanage who Ellone is closely attached to? Squall.

Also notice how none of the other children are paid attention to at all when it comes to this plot question, and seeing as how it is a very relevant part of the game, you'd think Square didn't just decide to drop it completely.

3) In the Ragnarok, Laguna tellls Squall that "Ellone has told me everything" and "We'll talk when this is all over".

Since Ellone had just stopped her quest to get Laguna to see his newborn child, one would expect her to tell all about the child to Laguna, and it seems rather farfetched that she refused to give him the true identity.

This would also have been basically the most important thing Ellone would tell Laguna, so it seems plausible that he is going to talk to Squall on the same issue.

4) Talk to Kiros and Ward in the Ragnarok, and Ward will say "Good thing you don't look like your father" in a joking manner,
Kiros says "you look more like your mother".

Kiros and Ward know the parents, and the father well enough to make fun of him jokingly.
Who fits into this description then?

5) The tutorial tells us that Moombas recognize people by licking their blood.

In jail, a Moomba calls Squall "Laguna" many times. This means Squalls blood was so similar to Lagunas that it fooled the Moomba.

That kind of scene isn't just put in there for randomness, nor to prove that Moombas are mentally unstable.

dragoonknight_kain
11-19-2005, 06:45 PM
Well, I guess I know what I'll do with 70 hours of my time this December.:p
Thanks.

Masamune·1600
11-20-2005, 07:08 PM
hynes also the name of a skeleton boss in ff3. (though i dont know if they are related in any way.)

In all likelihood, it's meant to be a fun reference for those who had played FFIII.

In any case, Hyne never actually physically appears in FFVIII. Rather, he is a part of the game's creation mythology; Hyne is the progenitor of the Witch Embodiment, the original source of the power of the Sorceresses. In other words, Hyne is a plot device instituted in order to explain the existence of Sorceresses and their abilities.

A visual depiction of the information Unknowns linked to can be found here (http://www.geocities.com/aarinfantasy4/guideint3a.jpg).

Aurora_sword
11-23-2005, 12:01 AM
Oeh, well, proves to me that there are still some things I dont know about FF8...

Zelos
11-24-2005, 09:30 PM
in the "end" movie you'll see Laguna standing near Raine's gravestone and it say's : Raine Lionheart

Randgris
12-02-2005, 06:11 AM
I think Hyne is a sorcerer of some sort...:confused:

Sir Bahamut
12-02-2005, 03:33 PM
I think Hyne is a sorcerer of some sort...:confused:

Don't mean to offend, but you should read more than the title of a topic before making a response, as Hyne has been thoroughly explained already...