PDA

View Full Version : Soda vs Pop

edczxcvbnm
11-18-2005, 06:06 PM
It is once again that retarded time when we all bitch and argue about which way is the correct way. Of course we all know the true answer is soda but there are those out there that would say that this universal truth is blasphamy.

Stupid little picture from popvssoda.com

http://www.popvssoda.com/countystats/total-county.gif

VOTE!

EDIT: Coke and other are not vaild options.

Destai
11-18-2005, 06:08 PM
Thats some awesome detail Edward.

Meat Puppet
11-18-2005, 06:10 PM
I always thought it was sodapop

Primus Inter Pares
11-18-2005, 06:15 PM
Southerners clearly can't be wrong.

edczxcvbnm
11-18-2005, 06:18 PM
Southerners clearly <s>can't be</s> are always wrong.

Zeldy
11-18-2005, 06:27 PM
Its POP!
But im English so i dont count ^_^ Is it an american poll thingy?

Itsunari 2000
11-18-2005, 06:34 PM
" Pop " my ass !

I apologize - I know that was very crude.

edczxcvbnm
11-18-2005, 06:37 PM
Its POP!
But im English so i dont count ^_^ Is it an american poll thingy?

No.....

eestlinc
11-18-2005, 06:45 PM
soda

Zeldy
11-18-2005, 06:46 PM
It is once again that retarded time when we all bitch and argue about which way is the correct way. Of course we all know the true answer is soda but there are those out there that would say that this universal truth is blasphamy.

Stupid little picture from popvssoda.com

http://www.popvssoda.com/countystats/total-county.gif

VOTE!

EDIT: Coke and other are not vaild options.
I could've sworn that was America

Yamaneko
11-18-2005, 06:48 PM
Where is Spiff when you need him?

edczxcvbnm
11-18-2005, 06:52 PM
I could've sworn that was America

Look, they don't have a picture of Merry Ol' England. No what! Fuck it. Your vote no longer counts. Even if it is for my side. I deny your vote. How about that?

*dope smacks the hell outta Zeldy*

Sasquatch
11-18-2005, 06:55 PM
It's Coke. But since it's not an option, I will not participate. Hopefully, the other non-educated people on this forum will choose "soda" instead of "pop". "Soda" is technically right, whereas "pop" is a sound.

Zeldy
11-18-2005, 06:55 PM
>=E

Oh well ^_~

POP > SODA

Yamaneko
11-18-2005, 07:04 PM
My pop likes coke with his soda and rum.

Dr Unne
11-18-2005, 07:05 PM
It's pop. This thread can be closed now.

escobert
11-18-2005, 07:06 PM
Soda. Look at that almost evryone in NE calls it soda so it must be right.

Lindy
11-18-2005, 07:07 PM
They're called "Soft Drinks".

You're all morons.

Primus Inter Pares
11-18-2005, 07:07 PM
It's obviously Soda, dude, just look at it A WHOLE LETTER MORE than Pop, even though pop has two of the parts making up PiP, soda has won my heart.

Dignified Pauper
11-18-2005, 07:55 PM
i'm oine of the few people in ohio who say soda more-often than pop. sometimes I say soda pop.

Rainecloud
11-18-2005, 07:56 PM
My Grandad always taught me to call it "Pop".

:p

crono_logical
11-18-2005, 07:57 PM
Fizzy :D

Ok, soda, nicer sounding word than pop for an edible :p

Aryn
11-18-2005, 08:05 PM
Geeze, I haven't seen a pop vs soda thread in a while.

Eh, I used to always call it pop but since I work in a resteraunt now, I heard it called both pop and soda, so I find myself using both from time to time.

Neither bothers me, but 'sodey pop' drives me crazy.

Nino Brown
11-18-2005, 10:06 PM
I say both Soda and Pop.

When my friend from Ohio comes into town, he gets me saying pop. And that usually lasts for awhile.

With that said, I say pop more than I say soda.

Venom
11-18-2005, 11:44 PM
is Jack Daniels an option?

-N-
11-18-2005, 11:49 PM
Jones. Soda Company.
http://www.thegreenhead.com/watercooler/images/jones_soda_2.jpg

rubah
11-19-2005, 12:07 AM
Since coke is not an option I won't bother voting.

Or rather, my dad's term, "Belly Warsh"

Sweet Beloved
11-19-2005, 12:07 AM
What's it matter? Anyways, I said Pop. I've just alwasys called it that as a kid. Now, I call it soda most of the time, but pop comes out of my mouth every now and then. I live in the South. XD

Jebus
11-19-2005, 12:10 AM
Soda.

It used to be soda water, not pop water. Pop is a sound.

Rye
11-19-2005, 12:14 AM
NY is the Soda state, almost. :)

Jebus
11-19-2005, 12:15 AM
Yeah, it seems like at least MOST of the states that matter voted soda.

Samuraid
11-19-2005, 12:43 AM
Soda, Pop, Coke...it's all nasty stuff.

Hawkeye
11-19-2005, 12:50 AM
Soda. Who the hell says pop regularly? Not nearly as much as people who say soda.

Sasquatch
11-19-2005, 12:52 AM
Uh-oh. My curiosity is getting the better of me. I might have to cast a vote, just to see if "soda" or "pahp" is ahead.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
11-19-2005, 01:10 AM
Soda. Look at that almost evryone in NE calls it soda so it must be right.
Yup i call it soda and i live in New England

Rye
11-19-2005, 01:12 AM
Soda. Who the hell says pop regularly? Not nearly as much as people who say soda.

Maybe it's just me, as a complete Soda-sayer, but I'd crack up laughing calling my soda "Pop." I'd rather call it a beverage than "Pop."

Shoeberto
11-19-2005, 01:24 AM
Maybe it's just me, as a complete Soda-sayer, but I'd crack up laughing calling my soda "Pop." I'd rather call it a beverage than "Pop."
Conversly, as a "pop" sayer, I'd feel like I'm on Happy Days or something if I said "soda." I only ever use it when I'm trying to say something silly like "Hey friends, could I interest you in some soda pops?"

That's midwesterners for you.

Masamune·1600
11-19-2005, 01:41 AM
Please allow me to definitively answer the question with this essay.

Soda vs. pop: A Completely Impartial and Unbiased Analysis of the Issue

This essay has been a long time in coming, by which I mean I decided to write it five seconds ago, but that does NOTHING to reduce the staggering importance of this most controversial debate.

Soda? Or pop?

Now, while this argument is commonplace on the EoFF forums, one can see the truth of the answer even in the question above. Soda is capitalized. On the other hand, pop is not. This holds true in the text of the essay, as well as in the title. For this reason alone, the hegemony of the word Soda over the word pop is undeniable. It would be madness to argue otherwise; I suppose, unfortunately, that from western Pennsylvania onward the US has an alarming number of crazy individuals. These poor, misguided souls go around referring to Soda as "pop," a primitive practice that should have died off with the dinosaurs, or perhaps Aeris.

However, while my argument in favor of Soda is clearly flawless, without anything resembling a logical fallacy or biased opinion, there may be naysayers out there, desperate, reckless reprobates driven by an unholy desire to corrupt the English language with this "pop." Ugh.

Allow me to suppress a shudder for a moment.

In any case, good readers, these agents of insanity and discord might request a more thorough examination. Fortuantely, my friends (and let me here extend my friends to include all supporters of the word Soda. For the sake of future generations, my friends!), I have even more irrefutable proof. Let us, then, examine the matter more closely.

Soda is a four letter word, while pop only contains three letters. This is a substantial difference, and one of great importance to the author. As I've repeatedly demonstrated in the past, long, confusing words are infinitely superior to short, simple words. Furthermore, Soda contains two syllables. That other word, pop was it? Only one. Also of note is that pop is quite obviously the worst palindrome of all time. That's just another strike against it.

"It's so obvious!" Yes, my friends, you are completely correct. However, there is yet more evidence to be considered. Let us leave no question that Soda is the only word that can be used to quickly describe a soft drink.

According to Dictionary.com, the very first entry for Soda is:

1. A nonalcoholic, flavored, carbonated beverage, usually commercially prepared and sold in bottles or cans.

In other words, a soft drink. However, such a fortuitous first definition is not in place for pop.

1. To make a short, sharp, explosive sound.

Ha! The first definition for pop clearly deviates from the truth. Obviously, "pop" is best used as a verb, not as this (foolishness!) wannabe noun for Soda.

Moreover, renowned language and dialect scholar Dr. Herbert Merriwether, who is completely neutral and whose existence I totally did not just fabricate, has this to say:

"Soda is clearly the superior word for Soda. pop is a horror to us all, forcing us to begin sentences in lower case and causing accelerated continental drift. pop also killed the dinosaurs, sunk Atlantis, and caused you to scrape your knee as a child."

Oh my! This "pop" is a monster!

Further, the esteemed and completely real Dr. Merriwether had this to say as well:

"When I was skydiving over that one forbidden Aztec temple, my parachute didn't open. Soda sacrificed its shiny, cylindrical exterior and gave me its parachute. This sacifice saved my life, and Soda should be given various sports awards."

That tale brings tears to my eyes. What a wonderful word for a soft drink.

Therefore, I believe that it is undeniable that this debate be permanently shifted in favor of Soda. Let your voices be heard, my friends, and save the English language from the apocalyptic horrors of pop!*

*Please note the author of this essay takes no responsibility for anything he might have said. Excessive caffeine intake is not healthy, and North and South Dakota should probably be merged into one state. edczxcvbnm will definitely back me on that last one.

kikimm
11-19-2005, 02:00 AM
Anyone who says pop freaks me out.

Flamethrower
11-19-2005, 03:36 AM
In my seventeen years of existance, where I come from or from anywhere I have visted, I have never heard anyone refer to it as "Pop", and very rarely have I heard anyone call it "Soda". It's always just "Coke" or "Soft Drink". I will vote Soda because Pop is just incredibly dorky sounding. It's like British people calling their friends "Mates". Hahahaha, you wacky Brits. I bet you guys came up with Pop too, didn't you? DIDN'T YOU?

Raistlin
11-19-2005, 04:34 AM
I was born and raised in Colorado and never heard this "pop" word. That poll is retarded. As is anyone who says "pop."

Soda.

The Summoner of Leviathan
11-19-2005, 04:38 AM
Anyone who says pop freaks me out.
Then prepared to be freaked, cuz that is basically what everyone where I grew up calls it.

RSL
11-19-2005, 04:47 AM
Pop. No one around here calls it Soda except one guy I work with. I hate him for it.

Agent Proto
11-19-2005, 04:53 AM
It's soda.

Slade
11-19-2005, 05:11 AM
Soda!? Pop!? What the crap?! Its called FIZZY DRINK!!! I refuse to vote :tongue:

Yamaneko
11-19-2005, 05:47 AM
Pop. No one around here calls it Soda except one guy I work with. I hate him for it.
Maybe he's the only real man at your work.

Dignified Pauper
11-19-2005, 06:24 AM

agreed. Real men drink beer and soda.

Marshall Banana
11-19-2005, 06:34 AM
Everyone here calls it pop. Therefore, I call it pop.

Sometimes I might catch myself saying soda or coke, but that's usually online.

Primus Inter Pares
11-19-2005, 07:56 AM
It's soda.
pr00t has spoken.

Destai
11-19-2005, 12:40 PM
Whenever Im asking someone if I want the I ask "do you want a coke or a sprite or something" making it clear enough Im talking about soft drinks. I called them fizzy drinks when I was younger and I recognize the word soda from tv. Pop is OBNOXIOUS.

RSL
11-19-2005, 01:28 PM
hahahahahahahahaha

ha
hahah
hahaha

Oh man that was the funniest thing I've read in a long time!

Shoden
11-19-2005, 01:59 PM
Soda is a TV word, Pop is a British word, America doesn't deserve it, it makes the Americans go crazy.

Resha
11-19-2005, 02:04 PM
Soda. I just call 'em fizzy drinks or soft drinks or...well. I don't even talk about them. I just drink the darn things. :mad2:

Ryth
11-20-2005, 02:22 AM
I call it soda. Never in my life have I called it pop.

Mittopotahis
11-20-2005, 02:35 AM
Carbonated Beverages.

rubah
11-20-2005, 02:38 AM
I am reminded of the hot guy from The Outsiders named Soda Pop.

Slothy
11-20-2005, 04:17 AM
Canadians are generally known as pretty nice folk, but say soda to any one of us, and you'll be drinking your POP through a stra.... wait, that's not right....

The Summoner of Leviathan
11-20-2005, 04:20 AM
Canadians are generally known as pretty nice folk, but say soda to any one of us, and you'll be drinking your POP through a stra.... wait, that's not right....
*falls off chair from laughing* I think I never heard a Canadian say soda. Maybe there is, but not that I know of.

Ethéré
11-20-2005, 07:43 AM
pop...i hope no one actually judges me for this though. i feel like i have to hide it. my dirty little secret. paint a 'P' on my little chest.

Yamaneko
11-20-2005, 07:52 AM
hahahahahahahahaha

ha
hahah
hahaha

Oh man that was the funniest thing I've read in a long time!
what

Anyway, I don't think I could be friends with someone that says pop.

Leeza
11-20-2005, 07:59 AM
I may say Pop, but I really mean Soda. :cat:

bipper
11-20-2005, 01:22 PM
It's pop. This thread can be closed now.

Cheers!

Rusty
11-20-2005, 01:51 PM
It's called soft drink where I am. But soda sounds so much better than pop.

Loony BoB
11-20-2005, 02:09 PM
I'm with Lindy on this one. Soft drink. I also find it that Masamune∙1600's post says...

1. A nonalcoholic, flavored, carbonated beverage, usually commercially prepared and sold in bottles or cans.
In other words, a soft drink.
...further backing up that above all, the drinks are called "soft drinks".

Finally...

Pop is a British word
I've lived here for three years and not once have I heard anyone call a soft drink 'Pop'. Nor 'Soda', for that matter. When someone wants something to drink, they don't bother defining 'soft drink'. They say "Do you want a can of drink?" or sometimes they even call it 'Juice', 'Soft drink' or 'Fizzy drink' but never 'Soda' or 'Pop'.

Searching for 'Pop' on sainsburys.co.uk's drink section just came up with wine, and even then 'Pop' was being used as a verb.

edczxcvbnm
11-20-2005, 03:19 PM
Bob...the definition he quoted actually is for Soft Drink and not for Soda XD

Loony BoB
11-20-2005, 04:09 PM
Oh. Haha, well, soda defaults to 'soft drink' in dictionary.com, so that pretty much says it all, then.

Jess
11-20-2005, 04:35 PM
Its either Soft drink or Pop!

edczxcvbnm
11-20-2005, 04:41 PM
Oh. Haha, well, soda defaults to 'soft drink' in dictionary.com, so that pretty much says it all, then.

That is because soda has one alternate definition. Pop on the other hand is used for way to many things.

Pop as in papa(father)
Pop music
Pop...ulation
Pop - soft drink
POP - Point Of Purchase
POP - Proof Of Purchase

All of these are listed in the definition but since pop is a very versitile word it couldn't just put one of its slang terms on the top like they do for soda. Not to mention that pop can be used as a noun, adverb, verb and maybe even an adjective.

Lindy
11-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Ed just explained it.

Pop is the whore in the world of words, and is thus wrong, as is Soda.