PDA

View Full Version : Why am I not looking forward to this game

Cecinda
11-19-2005, 05:33 PM
I took one look at FFXII and got bored...the characters look the same as every other hero/female (Ashe is a cross between Yuna and Aeris, Vaan well...has there ever been an original FF hero or heroine). The names are getting suckier and suckier, and somehow the story doesn't interest me......what's wrong with me???? I cannot possibly be feeling this...noooo....

xAerisx
11-19-2005, 05:35 PM
Just because X was bad and X-2 was badder doesn't mean this one will be o.o...

Edit by D: Please don't circumvent the swear filter.

Vyk
11-19-2005, 05:56 PM
Eh, I'm not gonna bash the game. Its a personal taste thing to me. I doubt it'll suck. I just don't think it'll be for me. I don't dig the look either. It bores me as well. There's kind of a light almost pastelle look to it. 9 felt the same way. Everything was so light. And I guess 8 was too. 10 had real and vibrant colors. But maybe that has something to do with why 6 and 7 were my favorites. They weren't afraid to be dark. But I'm not so shallow to completely dismiss a game on a color scheme. Though honestly I haven't been interested in a Final Fantasy for a while. So its no real surprise this one didn't exactly catch my interest. Another pretty-boy hero. Another pretty world. And sadly, I have a thing against the people behind Tactics and CC. And this game has had people from both teams. But like I said I'm not here to bash it. The battle system really interests me. And I know nothing of the story. More than likely I'll buy it on the cheap, depending on what I hear about it. But I won't feel left out if I miss out on it. I'm just not a fanboy. I just happened to thoroughly enjoy a few previous Fantasys :D My stance on this game is hope for the best, prepair for the worst. Its harsh, but its REALLY hard for any company to make a game I like anymore. Its not just FF that I've fallen out of. There hasn't been a gem in my gaming collection for a long while. I don't think this one will change that. But we shall see

Destai
11-19-2005, 07:25 PM
Rent it and see if you care for it. If not, meh.

ThroneofDravaris
11-20-2005, 04:21 AM
By the time this game comes out, I will have probably lost interest in the series…

Zeromus_X
11-20-2005, 04:42 AM
real-time battle system...*pukes out heart*....

i think ill be okay...though i cant help feeling like this may be the final ff game....i hope not...though it would help out my clock theory...:rolleyes2

Savannah
11-20-2005, 04:57 AM
I don't know; your reasons for not looking forward to it seem pretty shallow. The characters look the same, yes, but ALL FF characters, since FF started using more advanced graphics, look similar. Tifa, Rinoa, Garnet and Yuna all look similar; Cloud, Zidane and Tidus all looked similar. That didn't mean that the characters didn't have their own personalities. And, for the record, I think Panelo, Balfrear (however the heck we're spelling that guy's name nowadays) and Basch have pretty fresh, original looks.

And their names? That affects their character/depth even less than their looks do.

As for it being "too bright," I'm not sure where that comes from. Some of the brighter, tropical areas are certainly colorful, but I think, overall, this game is darker than 9 and 10.

six underground
11-20-2005, 06:58 AM
Just because X was bad and X-2 was badder doesn't mean this one will be o.o...

I agree. I just hope XII will be great...I was horrified to find out I wasn't interested in X, and that I actually shunned an FF game (X-2) :eek: scandalous.

Vyk
11-20-2005, 07:55 AM
Its not shallow. If the atmosphere isn't appealing, its hard to get into the game. I'm still on a wait-and-see basis. I haven't officially formed an opinion. But I think my guess is pretty educated, considering I know my tastes, and a lot of the factors going into this game. Those characters may be similar, but they're different enough. And the direction they're going doesn't appeal to me. They're getting way too soft for my tastes. The atmosphere and characters have gotten less and less gritty with each installment. Though I can't exactly make a valid argument, 'cause I don't feel like standing here in the FFXII forum, making praise over other Final Fantasys just to make points and examples.

boys from the dwarf
11-20-2005, 08:13 AM
I took one look at FFXII and got bored...the characters look the same as every other hero/female (Ashe is a cross between Yuna and Aeris, Vaan well...has there ever been an original FF hero or heroine). The names are getting suckier and suckier, and somehow the story doesn't interest me......what's wrong with me???? I cannot possibly be feeling this...noooo....

you havent even played the game so you shouldnt judge it. i doubt ashe will be anything like aeris and yuna(i certainly hope not aeris.)just because FFX-2 sucked doesnt mean FFXII will suck. FFX-2 was just a one off.

Croyles
11-20-2005, 04:43 PM
This game will be absolute ace. I pretty much like all FF games. Thats not say I wasn't slightly dissapointed of FFX-2 but I still played through most of the game. X was ace too. Each FF brings something new and sometimes there are dramatic changes, which is what I love about the series. So I have no worries here...

Crossblades
11-20-2005, 07:53 PM
Might have to buy a PS2 again just to play this game:)

Dreddz
11-20-2005, 08:26 PM
I have high hopes for FFXII
Its Square Enix's first bold step in the series ( X-2 dont count )

crono_logical
11-20-2005, 08:49 PM
real-time battle system...*pukes out heart*....Real-time systems are great, and much more fast paced and fun if done correctly :p

But I'm not looking forward to the game though, since I don't have the console it's for yet :p

Zeromus_X
11-21-2005, 04:00 AM
not that i dont like real time battle systems, i just dont think it belongs to an ff game. (although ffXI broke most traditions...)

itll still make a kajillion bucks (it is an ff game after all:D )

i guess ill stop complaining and see how it goes...although the fanboy in me is always nagging...

Slade
11-21-2005, 05:22 AM
Im really really getting excited about this title. More so than Advent Children or any of the compilation of VII. The only other game I am as nearly as excited about as the release of XII is KH2.

Primus Inter Pares
11-21-2005, 11:06 AM
By the time this game comes out, I will have probably lost interest in the series…
You speak as if it will be released in Australia.

Miriel
11-22-2005, 12:08 AM
Don't knock it 'til you try it.

Winter Nights
11-22-2005, 01:19 AM
Meh.. After FFVIII, I was always counting the days until the next FF. However, while I will definately buy it, it's just not that big a deal anymore. I barely game as it is and when I do, I play more games that will amuse me for the moment, but can easily be put down. I don't play RPGs much at all, nowadays.

Wuggly Blight
11-23-2005, 12:06 AM
I will buy it, but after X, that was bad, then X-2 that was worse Im not holding my breath, Square seems to of sold out to noob 10 year old action lara croft fans rather then its traditional playerbase, who knows it may be great but Im not holding my breath.

Reine
11-24-2005, 04:58 PM
I agree with Vyk on a lot of points. Im not looking forward to this at all. Gaming in general, the quality of the games seems to be dropping, Its rare for a game to appear that im interested in, and most of the time, I cant complete them because they get utterly boring.

The last great game I played was Kingdom Hearts.

In fact, almost all PS2 games bore me..

Cecinda
11-24-2005, 06:48 PM
I thought FF12 was gonna be on PS3?

Rostum
11-24-2005, 10:14 PM
I agree with Vyk on a lot of points. Im not looking forward to this at all. Gaming in general, the quality of the games seems to be dropping, Its rare for a game to appear that im interested in, and most of the time, I cant complete them because they get utterly boring.

So because you've played a fair few boring PS2 games, and because FFXII is going to be a new game, it will be boring and crap quality? I don't see the logic in this, please point it out to me.

I thought FF12 was gonna be on PS3?

Nope, PS2. =)

Croyles
11-24-2005, 11:07 PM

The last great game I played was Kingdom Hearts.

Its the same with me that I can hardly ever play any computer game anymore without getting bored fast. On my part I think thats just me growing up and having less time to play them, always having to worry about goddamn deadlines, might be the same for you. I bet you that if you go back and play these games that are 'supposedly' much better you'll realise that they arent actually as good as one would usually make them out to be.
I'm still looking forward to this game though.

Savannah
11-25-2005, 01:07 AM
I still maintain that you guys are nay-saying with very little to go on. You don't know what the characters' personalities are like. You don't know how they will interact with each other and you know very little about what role they'll play in the storyline. You're complaining that the atmosphere is too bright/colorful and that the characters aren't gritty/serious enough when neither are that much different than any of the games in the series that I've played (and that includes 6-10). In fact, considering some of the extremely silly stuff I saw in FFVII, I'd say FFVIII and FFX were much more somber and mature, so I'm not sure how exactly the games got "less and less gritty."

I just really don't see where the problem is.

JulioA
12-24-2005, 02:18 AM
The Judges look sick:D , and Ive enjoyed every Final Fantasy that Ive played (yes even a X-2 alittle), just some more than others. I think itll be good, the only bad FF in my opinion was XI its was a disgrace to FF.

:choc2: Oh yeah using the smilies on the right.

yunafan11
01-22-2006, 01:37 AM
Not so sure why you don't like it. I played the demo, I thought it was different. I mean, I really don't care about the characters, just as long as the gameplay is good. I think the battle system is good, Its different.

I dunno... maybe your from a different universe :eek: lol.

Vincentsinnerdemon
02-15-2006, 09:04 PM
I agree that the the overall quality of games is dropping and fast but I still can find an imperfect diamond in the brush sometimes. But i think the only game I every really liked on the PS2 was Kingdom Hearts.(BTW I cant wait for the sequel). After recalling the experience i had playing all the FFs I cant even consider FFX as in my top 3 anymore. The new battle system I do like IN OTHER FRANCHISES!!!!!!!!! but DEFINATELY not in ANY Final Fantasies. The way the game feels while I play it makes me feel like I was playing FFXI. I liked it in FFXI but the only reason i really liked XI was because my sister who is 6 states away played on it. The battle system feels too fast paced because you want to be in a difficult fight and be able to take your time. I could see a slow transition into this sytem in future games but to not release an off-line FF in 5 years and make the battle system be like the online game doesnt feel right.

JulioA
02-15-2006, 11:15 PM
I dunno... maybe your from a different universe :eek: I cried aloud with mirth and merriment.

I suspected that also, but Im ok with. that

DMKA
02-17-2006, 05:43 AM
I can't wait for this game. I wasn't excited for it until I played the demo. Now I can't wait.

Jushuku Yomide
02-18-2006, 08:20 AM
No! Where are my static camera angles?! Where is my ATB system?! Why do I have a third-person camera following me around?! Nooo!

Seriously, though. I'm not too excited about the third-person camera and real-time battles. They just don't sit well with me. I mean, is this Zelda? No? Well then...I want my ATB! Then again, both the trailer and gameplay graphics are beautiful, and the sound is good also.

It'll probably be an okay game, even though I'll be too broke to buy either the XBox CCCLX (360 in roman numerals) or Final Fantasy XII itself.

DMKA
02-18-2006, 10:47 AM
Seriously, though. I'm not too excited about the third-person camera and real-time battles. They just don't sit well with me. I mean, is this Zelda? No? Well then...I want my ATB! Then again, both the trailer and gameplay graphics are beautiful, and the sound is good also.
It's nothing like Zelda. Get rid of that comparison from you mind right now. The battle system is very similar to FFXI's battle system. I have no idea what you mean by "third person camera"...no FF was ever first person. Have you ever played Xenogears? That was a turn-based Square RPG with fully 3D enviroments and a fully rotatable camera, like FFXII, and in my opinion, it rocked.

I felt the same way before I played the demo, but as soon as I did I freaking loved it and became more anxcious for this game to come out than I was for the last two. It's very different, but very, very fun.

And as a bonus FFXII is probably the best looking game on the PS2. Seriously, the in-game graphics are nothing short of incredible, even next to X and X-2. Not that graphics make a game or anything like that, but damn is it a nice addition to what already looks and feels like an extremely promising addition to the series.

AdVincent
02-22-2006, 12:54 AM
Who's the /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif that said FFX is bad? No way...

I'm not excited about this game either. I know I'll be getting it eventually, if not the first day it comes out, but I just haven't been paying attention to it as a usual big game.

Vincentsinnerdemon
02-25-2006, 04:18 AM
FFX wasnt bad but it was below par with the others (FFVII,FFVI,FFI,ect.)

kikimm
02-26-2006, 10:55 PM
This topic is sort of old anyways, and so here's (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=77851) a new one we can all post in.