PDA

View Full Version : There are other RPG's!?

Ezme
11-19-2005, 10:13 PM
Hi, well christmas is coming up and i've started to receive that never ending question of "What do you want for christmas?" So i was thinking, there are other RPG's out there.....I've completed FFVI- X-2, is there anything out there you could recomend me? I got Star ocean 3 last year but really didn't like it at all, but i absolutly loved FFX. Any help would be much aprechiated! I always think its better to do these things by word of mouth, much more reliable than reviews!

raskerino
11-19-2005, 10:29 PM
Shadow Hearts: Covenant is my suggestion, you don't need to have played the first one (Shadow Hearts) to enjoy it although that is also worth getting. Another PS2 suggestion is Xenosaga. These both have a lot of cut scens so only get them if you're okay with that. For PS1, xenogears is pretty good (very complicated storyline- lots of cut scenes) and I've been enjoying FFIV as I've played through it (FF chronicles for the ps), this is also comes with the absolutely wonderful game chrono trigger. The sequel chrono cross is my favorite non-ff ps1 game.

Shadow Hearts: Game with a good dark feel, perfectly good ps2 graphics, a reasonable storyline and pretty good characters. Uses the ring system in combat which requires good button pressing timing.

Shadow Hearts Covenant: Lighter feel with dark moments and hilarious scenes mixed perfectly. An excellent storyline with wonderful timing for when you learn what. I loved most of the characters and the voice acting was usually great (except a minor character in your party, Lucia... yuck). The graphics had a well done feel and were strong maybe on par with FFX. My favorite non-ff of all time. Uses a more in depth, more customizable, better ting system. It can be hard but I found it really fun, it's based on timed, quick button presses.

Xenosaga: Very long cut scenes but a very interesting storyline shown in them. The characters won't so strong but there were still ones I cared for. The graphics were a little bland but fine. Good battle system. The sequel wasn't as strong as the first game but I still enjoyed it a lot.

FFIV: Haven't gotten far yet, but I like the feel, the 5 character combat and Cecil, Tellah (only for one quote) and Kain.

Chrono Trigger: An excellent game that's feel excedes all. The characters were good with one great, Magus. The story was fun but I didn't find it special. The feel of this game is what makes it great.

Chrono Cross: The sequel to chrono trigger (which you must have played first to understand) has in my eyes the same feel and much better characters. The biggest improvement is one of the most wonderful storylines I've ever played through.

Hope these suggestions helped.

Rostum
11-19-2005, 10:38 PM
Radiata Stories.
Dragon Quest VIII.

dragoonknight_kain
11-19-2005, 10:50 PM
I recommend The Legend of Dragoon for the Plastation 1. It has graphics of the same level- or better than - Final Fantasy IX, with the best CGs on the Playstation. But be careful with this game. Although I think it's the best rpg on the Playstation, there are people who hate it (though I don't know why). -> 4 discs

I also recommend Vagrant Story, also for the PSX1, a Square game with a strong story, but it does have some violence, so if u don't like it, stay away from it:p. Oh, yes, the battle system is different from FF. I think it's called real-time battle or something (someone correct me if I'm mistaken). -> 1 disc

Dreddz
11-19-2005, 11:13 PM
I recommend Alundra 1 and 2, amazing games
If not, then go for Dark Cloud 1 and 2, 2 is vastly better.
If you want to go for other modern RPG's, then buy Shadow Covenant. Or even the recent Romancing Saga ....

Slothy
11-19-2005, 11:30 PM
Tales of Symphonia hasn't been mentioned yet, so assuming you have a Gamecube, I'll reccomend that.

raskerino
11-19-2005, 11:44 PM
I'll also mention FFT is a very strong game.

I personally didn't like Dark Cloud, I only played the first game but the entire story could be told in maybe 15 minutes at the outside... doesn't make a good rpg in my opinion.

I would of mentioned Legend of Dragoon but it didn't have characters that pulled me in at all. The story was pretty good and there were some nice twists but nothing great (I stopped early 4th disk). The graphics weren't interesting to me and the gameplay while interesting wasn't fun to do over and over for me.

And Shadow Hearts Covenent rocks!

Dreddz
11-20-2005, 12:05 AM
Dark Cloud wasnt that good, but the whole God like role you take is really enjoyable. Dark Chronicle ( or Dark Cloud 2 in USA ) was three times better. It had a very compelling story, and the whole God like role is taken up a new step. And its a damn long game, story and sidequests will leave you with a 150 hr save slot on your memory card .......

Jebus
11-20-2005, 12:28 AM
The Suikoden series (although IV was a letdown)
Xenogears which is very good.
Chrono Trigger.
Seiken Densetsu (Secret of Mana) series.
Star Ocean 1 & 2

I always felt the Lufia series was pretty good as well.

Destai
11-20-2005, 12:37 AM
Welsh Wonder wont be able to play alot of those games as she lives in england

Erdrick Holmes
11-20-2005, 01:07 AM
Get a preorder for Phantasy Star Universe coming out this May
Dragon Quest 8
Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana

Azure Chrysanthemum
11-20-2005, 01:23 AM
If you're into the strategy RPG games, I suggest Disgaea, La Pucelle: Tactics and Phantom Brave. I've heard good things about Makai Kingdom as well.

strawberryman
11-20-2005, 01:30 AM
Chrono Trigger: An excellent game that's feel excedes all. The characters were good with one great, Magus. The story was fun but I didn't find it special. The feel of this game is what makes it great.
..Frog > Magus.

Try Dark Cloud 2/Dark Chronicle. Gameplay/Battle is fun, the Georama system lets you get creative.. I recommend it, at least. >>

Dreddz
11-20-2005, 01:47 AM
Welsh Wonder wont be able to play alot of those games as she lives in england
awwwww beat me too it ......

Markus. D
11-20-2005, 03:03 AM
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness is you want a very nice and humorous strategy game.

Rase
11-20-2005, 08:56 AM
Any specific consoles? I'm assuming you've got a PS2, but anything else?

Azure Chrysanthemum
11-20-2005, 07:16 PM
Also for the PS2 are the Shin Megami Tensei series, Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga 1&2. Both worth checking out if you're into the uber-depressive post-apocalyptic thing.

Ezme
11-20-2005, 07:28 PM
Wow, thanks. Yay, i feel special...so many replys! Sorry should have said i'm from the UK, its get a bit irratating, why cant they stop this stupid region thing, for games and DVD's, then we'd all be equal and the world would be a much happier, warm and fuzzy place! I only have a PS2 and a P.C. man, that sounded spoilt. I shall have a look into thoses suggestions but more are welcome! thanks everyone

Crossblades
11-20-2005, 08:16 PM
Get Shining Tears

Dreddz
11-20-2005, 08:17 PM
Wow, thanks. Yay, i feel special...so many replys! Sorry should have said i'm from the UK, its get a bit irratating, why cant they stop this stupid region thing, for games and DVD's, then we'd all be equal and the world would be a much happier, warm and fuzzy place! I only have a PS2 and a P.C. man, that sounded spoilt. I shall have a look into thoses suggestions but more are welcome! thanks everyone
finally, someone else who hates all the region coding
lets go bully Destai ......

Destai
11-20-2005, 08:47 PM
lets go bully Destai ......Its not that I dont hate it. Its more people who moan about it constantly.

Ezme
11-21-2005, 06:51 PM
Huh? I missing summat? The whole region coding is just another way the heartless multinational billionaire companies can make a litte more money...... that sounded like a bit of a rant didnt it..... oh well, just been doing bussiness ethics homework..... woo take on the world!

Craig
11-21-2005, 07:10 PM
I blame 5th density beings. Or something.

Aurora_sword
11-22-2005, 11:56 PM
Tales of Eternia, BEST GAME EVER, seriously.

released in the US under the name "Tales of Destiny 2" which is actually incorrect...they're messed up.

xtreme112
11-24-2005, 10:52 AM
If you're into the strategy RPG games, I suggest Disgaea, La Pucelle: Tactics and Phantom Brave. I've heard good things about Makai Kingdom as well.

i was gonna say la pucelle as well but I've been beaten!

I'd also say Kingdom Hearts, although its really kiddy, its actually a lot of fun, and ff characters are in it so theres another plus!

I could give you some more rpgs but theyre all on ps1 and/or snes...

Matrinka
01-03-2006, 09:49 PM
If you can find them, I recommend almost all of the Grandia Games. (Basically, just one and two... I didn't play Xtreme and 3 isn't out here yet). I personally like the first more than the second, but both were awesome to play.

I whole heartedly agree with another person -- SHADOW HEARTS! Covenant's battle system was easier (and a bit more fun) than the first, but I love them both. The first had an amazingly dark and beautiful story; a little cliche, but still highly amusing. The second picked up where the first left off - and was less moody and more funny. Not saying it was at all light, both were very dark games, but still fabulous.

Markus. D
01-03-2006, 11:23 PM

Disgaea is good to start with if your new to the genre.

Rengori
01-04-2006, 12:41 AM
Disgaea is good to start with if your new to the genre.
Hell yah!

Slicksword45
01-04-2006, 03:02 AM
Lord of the rings: the third age
Xenosaga
Xenosaga2
Suikoden IV
FF:IV advance