PDA

View Full Version : The ending.

ScottNUMBERS
11-21-2005, 09:18 AM
Can someone tell exactly what happened in the ending after you defeat Ultimicia, I was left absolutly clueless. When Rinoa found Squall he appeared dead, was he? And later on in the end sequence, we see Rinoa and Squall together again. I'm confussed what exactly went on? Also; what are you views on the ending?

Sir Bahamut
11-21-2005, 02:43 PM
It's fairly straightforward really, but the weird effects confuse things abit. Here is the detailed description, anyway, followed by a brief summary:

After Ultimecia is defeated, time and space start reverting back to normal(remember Ultimecia was on the brink of completely compressing and absorbing all of time and space), creating a sort of warped space-time which Squall and Co can use to get back to their own time, just like they got to Ultimecias time. Remember that when they went there, it was the same process, only in reverse.

Now, the point with this space-time warp thing, is that your willpower, memories and emotions all affect it, and it will in turn effect you. That's how the party gets to Ultimecias time, and how they get back too; they concentrate on where they want to go, and then they end up there. Simple as that. However, as Laguna says in his speach, love and friendship are crucial too; Squall and Co have to not only concentrate on where they are going, they also have to concentrate on eachother. They have to keep themselves from ceasing to exist and get sucked into time compression by concentrating on eachother. This is all important for later, in case you're wondering.

So, after Ultimecias defeat, everyone is preparing to go back home, by concentrating on home and eachother, just like before(this is what Selphie and them are talking about on the white screen). Unfortunately, Squall ends up all alone, and cannot get back. Why not? Because of his 'lone wolf' attitude. He is not yet fully capable of trusting everyone else, and fully loving everyone else and focusing on them all(I know this sounds corny, but bear with me), and instead just ends up concentrating about himself, which is why he naturally ends up with first alone, and then by a younger version of himself at the orphanage.

Spurred on by Edea, he gives it another try, but still ends up alone in this timewarp place. This is where it gets weird. Remember that the timewarp reacts to your emotions, memories and thoughts? Well, that's exactly what happens here; the timewarp starts reflecting Squalls thoughts. He thinks he's all alone; he ends up in a barren wasteland all alone. He thinks there's no way to escape; the landscape shifts to a tiny island with no way to escape from. Then he starts thinking about past events, and most notably of course Rinoa. So the timewarp starts reacting to these thoughts and memories, but since Squall is also filled with despair, hopelessness and fatigue, the timewarp twists everything to accomodate just that, which is why we see all the twisted Rinoas, everything repeating over and over, and eventually we see events really twisted, ie. when Rinoas helmet bursts, which of course never actually happened.

What happens next is debatable. Some say Squall actually dies, others(myself included) say he just passed out. Regardless of what you think, Rinoas love for Squall finally brings her to him, and she promptly awakens him/revives him, depending on what you think happened to Squall. Together, they then leave the timewarp through the power of love :eep: Soppy but true. The rest is simple: they go back to the Garden, have a party, and we see a fully alive Squall and Rinoa kissing on the balcony, the end.

Summary: Squall got lost in a timewarp reacting to his thoughts and emotions, which causes all the weird flashy stuff connected to Rinoa. Rinoas love for Squall overcomes the barrier of time between them, brings her to him, and together they break free from the timewarp and live happily ever after.

PS: Sorry for going on and on and on.

ThroneofDravaris
11-21-2005, 02:53 PM
Also; what are you views on the ending?

...It's f@#$ing awesome?

ScottNUMBERS
11-21-2005, 03:32 PM
It's fairly straightforward really, but the weird effects confuse things abit. Here is the detailed description, anyway, followed by a brief summary:

After Ultimecia is defeated, time and space start reverting back to normal(remember Ultimecia was on the brink of completely compressing and absorbing all of time and space), creating a sort of warped space-time which Squall and Co can use to get back to their own time, just like they got to Ultimecias time. Remember that when they went there, it was the same process, only in reverse.

Now, the point with this space-time warp thing, is that your willpower, memories and emotions all affect it, and it will in turn effect you. That's how the party gets to Ultimecias time, and how they get back too; they concentrate on where they want to go, and then they end up there. Simple as that. However, as Laguna says in his speach, love and friendship are crucial too; Squall and Co have to not only concentrate on where they are going, they also have to concentrate on eachother. They have to keep themselves from ceasing to exist and get sucked into time compression by concentrating on eachother. This is all important for later, in case you're wondering.

So, after Ultimecias defeat, everyone is preparing to go back home, by concentrating on home and eachother, just like before(this is what Selphie and them are talking about on the white screen). Unfortunately, Squall ends up all alone, and cannot get back. Why not? Because of his 'lone wolf' attitude. He is not yet fully capable of trusting everyone else, and fully loving everyone else and focusing on them all(I know this sounds corny, but bear with me), and instead just ends up concentrating about himself, which is why he naturally ends up with first alone, and then by a younger version of himself at the orphanage.

Spurred on by Edea, he gives it another try, but still ends up alone in this timewarp place. This is where it gets weird. Remember that the timewarp reacts to your emotions, memories and thoughts? Well, that's exactly what happens here; the timewarp starts reflecting Squalls thoughts. He thinks he's all alone; he ends up in a barren wasteland all alone. He thinks there's no way to escape; the landscape shifts to a tiny island with no way to escape from. Then he starts thinking about past events, and most notably of course Rinoa. So the timewarp starts reacting to these thoughts and memories, but since Squall is also filled with despair, hopelessness and fatigue, the timewarp twists everything to accomodate just that, which is why we see all the twisted Rinoas, everything repeating over and over, and eventually we see events really twisted, ie. when Rinoas helmet bursts, which of course never actually happened.

What happens next is debatable. Some say Squall actually dies, others(myself included) say he just passed out. Regardless of what you think, Rinoas love for Squall finally brings her to him, and she promptly awakens him/revives him, depending on what you think happened to Squall. Together, they then leave the timewarp through the power of love :eep: Soppy but true. The rest is simple: they go back to the Garden, have a party, and we see a fully alive Squall and Rinoa kissing on the balcony, the end.

Summary: Squall got lost in a timewarp reacting to his thoughts and emotions, which causes all the weird flashy stuff connected to Rinoa. Rinoas love for Squall overcomes the barrier of time between them, brings her to him, and together they break free from the timewarp and live happily ever after.

PS: Sorry for going on and on and on.

Hey thanks alot for taking the time to do this, I enjoyed reading it and it really made it clear. :)

smittenkitten
11-21-2005, 04:09 PM
The end = Awesomeness!!! :smash:
Mesa Lurve <33333

Slade
11-22-2005, 03:42 AM

...It's f@#$ing awesome?
Aint it the truth :love:

Cecinda
11-24-2005, 08:07 PM
I think squall should have died...but then there would've been an FFVIII-2 where a skanky Rinoa and Quistis journey through time to revive squall...with Selphie preggies with Irvine's baby on the side of course.
I still think there should be a FFVII-2, as well. With Cloud and Barret in skimpy Vaanish outfits with tight leather and tassles and they go scuba diving into the lifestream to extract Aeris. and Red XIII is pregnant with his cubs.

Anaisa
11-24-2005, 08:22 PM
Squall should not have died!:mad2: But Rinoa should have:D