PDA

View Full Version : The 360 Arrives...

TurkSlayer
11-22-2005, 05:07 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, moments ago, the first Xbox 360 was sold, officially beginning the next generation of gaming. It was beautiful sight to behold as the first buyer raised the system above his head and proudly declared he was the first buyer for the new system... Well, it wasn't that beautiful, but whatever. Anyway, the 360 is now being ship to stores all over the world, and fans of the first XBox couldn't be more thrilled. This is truly a great day that will go down in gaming history forever. *Tears of joy*

Now, I say we break out the whiskey and celebrate!!

Dolentrean
11-22-2005, 06:50 AM
it almost brings a tear to my eye... not really, but you get the point

Samuraid
11-22-2005, 08:54 AM
Hope the system pays off for all the work put into it. The same goes for the up and coming systems as well. :)

Dreddz
11-22-2005, 04:52 PM
Its gonna flop ......

Erdrick Holmes
11-22-2005, 04:56 PM
I'm gonna wait till they restock more XBox 360s since we only got a short supply of them. But I'm losing patience with the 360's game library. They better freaking have some good games from Sega or SNK.

I just can't wait till the 360 gets KoF XI.

Slothy
11-22-2005, 05:19 PM
I'll show some interest when games I feel are worth buying are actually announced. I would like to say that I feel sorry for anyone who may have preordered and got screwed over by the shortage. Not sure if anyone here falls into that category, but it does suck for those who placed their order months in advance because they actually wanted one today.

karatehero
11-22-2005, 08:50 PM
I'm going to get a kick out of the first article that says that people are mad because it preforms just like the regular XBox.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you really need HDTV for this to look how it should. How many people have that?

Yamaneko
11-22-2005, 08:55 PM
I wouldn't buy it until I had an HDTV or a really big VGA monitor. Besides, the only game the interests me at this moment is PDZ. I'll wait until Oblivion comes out in Q1 2006 to consider getting a 360.

MecaKane
11-22-2005, 08:56 PM
All HD does is increase the resolution, and maybe frame rate, any advanced graphics and effects would still be there on a normal TV.

Yamaneko
11-22-2005, 09:02 PM
It's harder to notice the detail, though. It's the same thing on PCs. Playing at 1280x1024 or even 1024x768 looks a lot better than playing at 640x480 or 800x600 resolution. The gameplay is the same of course, but what's the point in getting a 360 right now if not for the next-gen feel?

Destai
11-22-2005, 09:14 PM
Its way too expensive right now for me to buy it and there no games I want to play for it out yet(Heck the original XboX still doesnt have any games I want). I'd be getting ripped off if I bought one now.

Dreddz
11-22-2005, 09:19 PM
You lot seem to be loaded with money, you buy a system because it has a few good games. I buy one system, only one. And it has always been Sony. I cant afford all systems. And nowadays, they all have the same games ...

nik0tine
11-22-2005, 10:10 PM
I'll refrain from purchasing a 360, thank you very much. Personally, I'd prefer a system with quality games instead of just hype.

Markus. D
11-22-2005, 10:16 PM
i want a ps3, (i always say) if it doesnt have an add-on for devil may cry.... i want nothing to do with it.

Vaprice
11-22-2005, 10:17 PM
Big in america *Which means little*
Suck in Asia *Which counts for a lot*
Do lower than decent wtihin the european countries.

But I do hope that it has good games *DoA* May the force be with the new gen gaming console.

Dreddz
11-22-2005, 10:17 PM
I'll refrain from purchasing a 360, thank you very much. Personally, I'd prefer a system with quality games instead of just hype.
http://img415.imageshack.us/img415/8028/applaud8ak.gif

Winter Nights
11-22-2005, 10:18 PM
Indeed. Hardware alone won't get you far if your games are lacking.

Traitorfish
11-22-2005, 10:29 PM
IT'S TWO-HUNDRED-AND-SEVENTY-BLOODY-POUNDS!Damn Microsoft! Damn them to hell!
Because of the hugely inflated price, it'll be over a year before I ever get hold of one. I'll just have to make do with the Xbox's back catalouge until then... damn Microsoft!

Tifa's Real Lover(really
11-22-2005, 10:53 PM
Its gonna flop ......

Khaotic
11-22-2005, 10:54 PM
Ps3 > xbox360

Psychotic
11-22-2005, 10:57 PM
IT'S TWO-HUNDRED-AND-SEVENTY-BLOODY-POUNDS!Haha, for a moment there I thought you were referring to the weight of the thing. :laugh:

(someone can post the xbox360 ytmnd thing now if they wish)

Lord Chainsaw
11-22-2005, 11:04 PM
Big in america *Which means little*
Suck in Asia *Which counts for a lot*

It is getting a bit more support than the original Xbox did, notably by Mistwalker and Square-Enix. Then again, we shouldn't look to Japanese games as the be all end all games of the gaming market. Some pretty great gaming names are sprouting from outside Japan, such as David Jaffe and Jeremy Soule.

I can also understand concern for the American market of video games. Most are the "EA" style racing games or sports games. These don't quite appeal to the dedicated gamer, and the market seems to be flooding with them. This doesn't mean Japan is the only country that is capable of producing the gripping, and artful titles, it just means that the US still needs more development time and practice before the market expands to a point where the interactive story draws appropriate creative attention. This is not to say Japan has hit the mark, because it hasn't. For some reason, the stagnant and repetitive offline MMORPG series known as "Dragon Quest" is still top banana over there.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
11-22-2005, 11:05 PM
Ps3 > xbox360
damm right

NM
11-22-2005, 11:15 PM
Having played all EA's release title's for the 360 last month, I wasn't that impressed with any of them. Yes they loocked nicer than current gen game's, but they weren't overly impressive. More Xbox 1.5 than next generation to me. Even Rare's offering, Kameo didn't impress me that much. And the fact that if you havn't got an HDTV, part of the screen is missing is a bad move from Microsoft. Most people don't even have an HDTV so why cater for the minority.

Slothy
11-22-2005, 11:32 PM
Most people don't even have an HDTV so why cater for the minority.

HDTV's are to the point now where you can get them pretty cheap as I understand. Manufacturers are already planning on making them the standard within the next few years which means you soon won't be able to buy anything but HDTV's. Once that happens, there's no reason not to support it. Microsoft and Sony are just getting a jump on that market. It will probably be within the lifespan of both consoles that HDTV's become standard and far more common.

YukiKiro
11-23-2005, 12:04 AM
yeah, the 360 is here. while other people around the world are hooting and hollering to try and get their hands on the probably purposly under produced system, i'm saving for the PS3. weather or not it comes in 2006 or 2007.

TurkSlayer
11-23-2005, 12:06 AM
While I am the creator of this thread, I must say I'm not buying this immediately, perhaps not at all. The only thing that I'm interested in is Call of Duty 2. I played it at EB, and it was fun as hell. Other than that, there isn't anything that interests me, not even Oblivion. I'm simply glad that we can actually mark this as the beginning of the next generation.

YukiKiro
11-23-2005, 12:11 AM
yeah, i'll give the people at microsoft that much. cracking the bottle of champaign on the next gen of game consols, consols that make cinemas from the PS1 look like a bad graphics engine. i just wish the system being cristened was the PS3 instead of the 360.

TurkSlayer
11-23-2005, 12:15 AM
i just wish the system being cristened was the PS3 instead of the 360.

I'd already own one if that were the case.

Samuraid
11-23-2005, 03:57 AM
HDTV's are to the point now where you can get them pretty cheap as I understand. Manufacturers are already planning on making them the standard within the next few years which means you soon won't be able to buy anything but HDTV's. Once that happens, there's no reason not to support it. Microsoft and Sony are just getting a jump on that market. It will probably be within the lifespan of both consoles that HDTV's become standard and far more common.

Afaik, the FCC anounced that all TV broadcasting in the US would be going all digital by 2006, thus TVs would be going digital HD exclusively. In other words, Sony and MS don't have much of a choice as to whether to support the HD route. Not supporting it would be forcing an increasing number of gamers to watch games at worthlessly low resolutions.

And for reference, non-progressive NTSC games on current consoles are only about 352x240 (480 interlaced) or 352x480. Quite a poor resolution when compared to 720x480 or 1920x1080 HD resolutions.

krissy
11-23-2005, 04:50 AM
http://www.planetxbox360.com/?view=article&article=553

ISRviper
11-23-2005, 07:46 AM
ALL HAIL THE XBOX 360 SMASHERS. They should have made a couple of groups and send 1 to each major city and destroy 360's there aswell.

Rase
11-23-2005, 09:04 AM
Well, despite possible outcry, I must say I was quite pleased with the 360's games. Launch titles such as Call of Duty 2, Kameo: Elements of Power, Perfect Dark Zero, and Quake 4 all seem like games I would play (CoD2 especially, since I already got it for PC and it ROCKS!). Later games like Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion also look nice.

Still, I won't be getting any consoles until late 2006-mid 2007. By then there will be plenty of quality titles for each one, and hopefully any bugs in them will be sorted out. Until then I'm content to get games for my PC, GCN, or Xbox that either come out, or that I missed the first time around. :)