PDA

View Full Version : On your skin forevar!

Jess
11-22-2005, 05:20 PM
Tattoos.

I'm getting my first (and probably my last) tattoo on friday at 11 am - as part of my birthday present.
I'm getting a star and a moon, either on my hip or my lower back. Depending on size and design. (I am finding what I would like, and then my mum is designing it - unless I can find one that is perfect on the internets.) I'm actually quite excited to get my tattoo, instead of nervous because of the pain.

Have you got/want any tattoos?
Did it hurt?
Opinions on tattoos?

Go!

SammieBabe
11-22-2005, 05:27 PM
I have one. I got it on my honeymoon in September. Its a small sea turtle on the back of my shoulder. Yes it hurt. I'll probably get another one eventually. My husband has four. I don't think they're a big deal. You should get something that matches your personality, that you won't regret later.

Craig
11-22-2005, 05:27 PM
Never really cared for tattoos. Besides if I did get one I'd just regret it in a few years.

edczxcvbnm
11-22-2005, 05:29 PM
I think tattoos are ugly. I don't have one nor want one.

theundeadhero
11-22-2005, 05:35 PM
I got a Nirvana tattoo on my left shoulder when I was 16, or 17. MAn, that was a long time ago :p Never regretted it. I plan to get somethign on my right shoulder around February/March.

Dreddz
11-22-2005, 05:40 PM
I want to put a Bar Code tattoo on the back of my head some time, but ive got some waiting to do ...

Cuchulainn
11-22-2005, 05:44 PM
I've got several on my arms & chest. I love them, but it's a subjective argument.

Just make sure you get something you are 100% sure you'll still want ten years from now.

Anaisa
11-22-2005, 05:47 PM
I wouldn't get a tattoo because it wouldn't always match the clothing im wearing, and that matters to me. I could get one where you couldn't see it with my clothes on but what would be the point in that?!

Project G
11-22-2005, 05:51 PM
I want to get the heart from the heartagram on my right wrist

Venom
11-22-2005, 05:51 PM
I want a tatoo, but i have to wait until im 18:(

Anaisa
11-22-2005, 05:56 PM
I want a tatoo, but i have to wait until im 18:(
You don't if you can actually pass for eighteen. I doubt that any tattoo parlour would ask you for I.D if you look old enough.

Karl
11-22-2005, 05:57 PM
i want the good old "your name" tattooed on my ass

Celes
11-22-2005, 05:59 PM
Dreddz, I like that idea of having a barcode tattoo, that's pretty creative. I think tattoos are cool, it's a way of decorating your body with art. I don't have any yet but I want one, something girly like a butterfly or a flower. My boyfriend has like 7 tattoos, mostly skulls, one dragon, and a radiation symbol.

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
11-22-2005, 06:14 PM
I have a TINY little blue + on my left "ring finger" just below the first knuckle. I dont even know how i got it.

Vyk
11-22-2005, 07:55 PM
I've always been curious. And everytime a girl talks about tattoos I get even more curious. Because they almost always consider getting one, or actually do get one on their lower back. Can someone female please explain to me why girls always want a tattoo there? Just wondering.

Rye
11-22-2005, 08:05 PM
I've wanted a tattoo on my lower back somewhat of something like a rose with a snake wrapped around it or something, but I'd end up regretting it, so I've never thought about it too seriously.

Hawkeye
11-22-2005, 08:07 PM
Why would you want to be a walking image? Avoid the pain, the dirty needle, and a image thats going to follow you for the rest of your life, and dont get a tattoo. Imho

Sare
11-22-2005, 08:07 PM
I don't have a tattoo, but I've been planning on getting one.
I drew a khepri for myself. It's quite big and I'm planning to make a smaller design.
(you know the bug, the egyptian god of creation, reborn and the movements of the sun. Also known as a symbol for good luck).

Psychotic
11-22-2005, 08:13 PM
If I did get a tattoo, I would have one of some broccoli on my bicep. Why? It'd be hella manly. I'd have to use pepper spray to keep the women away...oh wait, I already do. Well, they SAY they're women...

Miriel
11-22-2005, 08:20 PM
I would not want to permanently scar my body with something my 19 year old self currently finds to be spiffy. I'm sure that if I did, my 30 year old self would be pretty annoyed.

silentenigma
11-22-2005, 08:44 PM
I wouldn't get one. Even if you think it looks good now, by the time you retire it will be just an dark ugly smuge on your skin.

I don't think it would be worth it, but if it floats your boat....

Shoeberto
11-22-2005, 08:55 PM
I would not want to permanently scar my body with something my 19 year old self currently finds to be spiffy. I'm sure that if I did, my 30 year old self would be pretty annoyed.
My thoughts exactly.

I wouldn't ever get one, and personally I find them to be very ugly on girls.

Chaos
11-22-2005, 09:30 PM
Nah, I'm not a big fan....my boyfriend wants them, but personally I think they are ugly...

On certian people they look ok, but I wouldn't want one...

Now I've said that in 20 years they'll have an EoFF reunion and I'll be covered head to toe in them....

Chaos

Shlup
11-22-2005, 09:56 PM
I don't mind when other people get them, but I personally don't like them. And, right now, I just plain hate them because BJ wants to get one. I can't stand the thought of it.

Luara
11-22-2005, 10:23 PM
I dont like... :greenie:

sdcopp
11-22-2005, 10:26 PM
I have two, one on each of my arms, upper arm area. On my left shoulder is an all blue simple celtic cross. On my right is a tribal with the initials and dates of the first father figure I had in life. Did it hurt? Not terribly, more like a cat scratch for an hour. If you're looking at an area of your body that has less muscle and fatty tissue and more bone and nerve, it's going to hurt more. As far as the whole pro vs con thing: yes, I am marked for life. no, I will never regret getting the ones done that I have because they are both meaningful to me. I plan on getting more, but always with a purpose and not just because. Most people end up regretting the ones that are whims, because it does lose it's luster because it means nothing. Everyone I know that has one with significance has never regretted it.

Jess
11-22-2005, 10:45 PM
The one I'm getting is meaningful - well to me, anyway.
I've always been obsessed with the sky at night - sometimes at night before I go to bed I just sit at my window and look out.
I've always thought of stars of as the people that I've loved and that are sadly, either deceased or are no part of my life anymore.

Little Miss Awesome
11-22-2005, 10:57 PM
If I had one, I'd only ever get a small one. Then again, I saw this Aerosmith one what I really liked, but you know, If I stopped liking them I'd really regret it.

Jebus
11-22-2005, 11:07 PM
I thought about geting a stylized Kabbalistic tree of life tatooed on my back with Latin text, but then I remembered tatoos hurt. And are permanent.

Meat Puppet
11-22-2005, 11:41 PM
I have a few homemade ones on my hands, which was kinda stupid because they're pretty ugly.

Xaven
11-23-2005, 12:43 AM
No tatoos for me. I might get small and simple one later on of something like a :<3: or a :) to remind me to be happy.

However... I'm always writing on myself with Sharpie and Hi-Liter if that counts for anything.

Sephex
11-23-2005, 01:44 AM
I think tattoos are ugly. I don't have one nor want one.

Well, I was going to show you that tattoo on my ass that has a picture of you on it, but I guess I have to get it removed now! :cry:

Lord Xehanort
11-23-2005, 02:00 AM
I wanna get Shadow the Hedgehog on my left bicep, and Sonic on my right.

fire_of_avalon
11-23-2005, 02:02 AM
Anaisa, by law a licensed tattoo parlor or artist HAS to see your ID before s/he can tattoo you. However, an unlicensed one probably doesn't care.

Rusty
11-23-2005, 02:03 AM
I've seen quite tattoos on other people or somewhere else which has made me want a tattoo. I'd never actually get a tattoo though - I know I'd regret it later on.

I love tattoos. Quite a few people in my family have them. My Dad's tattoo on his upper arm is my favourite. My mother has around five of them I think, possibly more. She has mine and my sisters name tattooed on her arm.

I like tattoos, but yea. I'd never get one.

Griever
11-23-2005, 05:30 AM
Apparantly, they're really addictive and once you get one, it's fairly tempting to get another.

I'd like to get one (just the one mind) on the inside of my forearm or my elbow. Something small.

Casey
11-23-2005, 06:01 AM
I've been thinking of getting my blood type, last four of social security, and name, like a dog tag on my upper back. Or somewhere.

Kyuuketsuki
11-23-2005, 06:12 AM
I've been wanting one since I was about 17 but still can't seem to think of something that would be universally acceptable to a 19 year old and 40 year old. If I got one it'd likely be on my arm or something.

DMKA
11-23-2005, 07:26 AM
I have no desire to get one, but I think they're sexy. If one day I magically end up a buff sexy chiseled body god of a man then I'll look into getting one.

Anaisa
11-23-2005, 11:11 AM
Anaisa, by law a licensed tattoo parlor or artist HAS to see your ID before s/he can tattoo you. However, an unlicensed one probably doesn't care.
Ive been into a few tattoo parlours which I assume were licensed since they were pretty much in the town centre and weren't at all seedy. And they didn't ask anybody I was with for ID who got tatooed. And also I was told that my parent or guardian could sign a consent form for me to have the tattoo done, and I wouldn't have to show any ID.

Reine
11-23-2005, 11:21 AM
Ive often thought of it myself...

If I did, I would get something like an arcane magic symbol on my back, something like that symbol in that game Vagrant Story (Bloody Sin, is that it?)

Shaun
11-23-2005, 11:23 AM
I'd never dream of it.

Rydia of Mist
11-23-2005, 01:22 PM
I have a tattoo on my right forearm. It has a meaningful significance as a remembrance to what once was. It's a band around my arm, and on the underside are the initials "ML" for "Majken Lousie." My old name, before I had it legally changed to Bastian James.

http://www.sockrocker.net/random/tat-01.jpg
http://www.sockrocker.net/random/tat-02.jpg

After I get my surgery, I'm thinking about getting another one, over my heart. I'm still debating, however.

Denmark
11-23-2005, 02:37 PM
imagine being one of those big fat guys at truck stops with tattoos all over their arms.

that's what i do whenever the slightest thought of getting a tattoo comes up. then i smile to know that i won't be like that ever. :D

fire_of_avalon
11-24-2005, 01:44 AM
Ive been into a few tattoo parlours which I assume were licensed since they were pretty much in the town centre and weren't at all seedy. And they didn't ask anybody I was with for ID who got tatooed. And also I was told that my parent or guardian could sign a consent form for me to have the tattoo done, and I wouldn't have to show any ID.
Maybe we just do things differently here, but everywhere I've been has been ID necessary, besides my friend's dad who does them out of his house. Weird. :D

SammieBabe
11-24-2005, 03:49 AM
They're pretty strict about it here.. I had to show my ID and I'm 24.. Also, the places here are actually very clean. They use disposable needles and change them in front of you, they never touch anything with out gloves, and they change their gloves whenever they do touch something.

nik0tine
11-24-2005, 04:26 AM
I've considered getting "NICHOLAS" tattoo'ed on my knuckles.

Project G
11-24-2005, 11:16 AM
What, in case you forget your name or something?

Cuchulainn
11-24-2005, 02:18 PM
imagine being one of those big fat guys at truck stops with tattoos all over their arms.

that's what i do whenever the slightest thought of getting a tattoo comes up. then i smile to know that i won't be like that ever. :D

Then dont gain weight & drive trucks for a living. That has bugger all to do with tattoos.

When I'm old, I doubt I'll be showing my body off in public much anyway.

Resha
11-24-2005, 02:26 PM
Naw, the fact that it hurts like hell to get one puts me off it for life.

Social Moon Firesky
11-24-2005, 05:00 PM
Tattoos.

I'm getting my first (and probably my last) tattoo on friday at 11 am - as part of my birthday present.

ZOMFG! You're younger than me!? No fair! I'm so envious! :D

I'm not allowed tattoos/excess body piercings until I leave home...So I'm planning to go nuts with myself on my 18th. I've already designed umpteen tattoos from my back, neck and shoulders, and I've decided I want to let my lobes heal up and then have 3 piercings in the cartilege(sp?) of each ear.

Heh, my parents will FREAK! I'll probably get cut out their wills or something...:rolleyes2

Anyways, I hope your tattoos come out all right, and I bet they'll look really cool! ^_^

Zeldy
11-24-2005, 05:05 PM
Ofcourse!
Im thinking a feather :upsidedow
And my Lip pierced ^_~

Theres 2 ways to look at tattoo's.
Some people say you'll regret it when your old, but.. You only live once?

Social Moon Firesky
11-24-2005, 05:26 PM
Some people say you'll regret it when your old, but.. You only live once?

Exactly. That, and what with technology being the way it is, by the time we do get tattoos, there'll be lasers that can remove them cheaply, and without all the scarring...I hope.

Jess
11-24-2005, 06:11 PM
ZOMFG! You're younger than me!? No fair! I'm so envious! :D

The tattoo is for my 16th which is on saturday, I'm just getting it tomorrow. My parents decided that I am old enough to make my own desicions. :O I was shocked too, when I asked them.

War Angel
11-24-2005, 06:17 PM
I sometimes think about getting a tattoo, and I know just what kind - a symbol I've thought about myself. But, there are religious symbols in it, too - and that kind of makes for a hypocritical thing to do (since my religion, even though I am not thoroughly religious, teaches against self-mutilation).

I never rule it out, but I don't think I'll ever have a tattoo.

Giga Guess
11-24-2005, 10:18 PM

I do....three technically.

Did it hurt?

Well....a bit....not unbearably much though.

Opinions on tattoos?

Well, I do have three of 'em....-_-

The Summoner of Leviathan
11-25-2005, 02:32 AM
If I get a tatoo it would be on my right shoulder blade. Either a pentagram done in ivy or maybe a snake/Leviathan in a coil or wrapped in itself...

Starboard Regulator FlareNUKE
11-25-2005, 02:36 AM
Tatoo Removal is possible... it'll cost a bit but...

Jess
11-25-2005, 04:38 PM
I got mine today, it didn't really hurt as much as people say it does. :)

Giga Guess
11-25-2005, 04:48 PM
Yeah, it's not too bad, eh?

Jess
11-25-2005, 04:49 PM
My friend had hers coloured today, and she was telling me how much it hurt as I lay waiting to get mine. It didn't hurt much at all so i just got it coloured at the time. ^_^

Alex151
11-25-2005, 06:28 PM
My real good friend who passed away a few months ago, his nickname was P-lo and I thought of getting a small tatoo of that somewhere.

Rydia of Mist
11-25-2005, 06:52 PM
When I got my tattoo, I think I could probably equate the feeling to about a 3-hour-long persistant catscratch. But it's not so bad as long as you can focus on something else. The tattoo parlour was playing a Cranberries album I knew, so I just sang along with it while the guy did his art. :3

Cuchulainn
11-25-2005, 07:36 PM
I got mine today, it didn't really hurt as much as people say it does. :)

Depends on where you get it. The one on my chest hurt like a bitch. Plus the muscle/fat ratio is important. If you are skinny or defined it would hurt more, as needle to muscle or bone is worse than needle to fat.

Vyk
11-25-2005, 10:34 PM
Where did you decide to have it done (on your body)? And if I may ask, what was your reason for putting it wherever you chose to put it? :D

Jess
11-25-2005, 10:44 PM
Vyk, I got my tattoo in near the bottom of my back, in the center. I got it done there because I wanted it there because I wanted it somewhere where I could choose whether it was on display to the world or not. I don't know whether that is why other girls get their tattoos there, whether its 'trendy' or not, doesn't bother me at all. At first I was going to have my tattoo done on my hip, but I thought it would look a bit out of place because of the size, and decided to get it done on my lower back instead.

Cuchulainn, I am average size, and my tattoo was on my lower back. The only time my tattoo had real pain was when she was tattoo'ing around my spine. The rest of the time it was basically nothing. I suppose different people have different pain tolerances also - as a friend found hers very very painful and hers was roughly the same placement as mine. :O

Kamiko
11-25-2005, 10:45 PM
I'm getting one on my neck next year. A barcode. Don't ask haha.

Vyk
11-26-2005, 02:02 AM
Thanks for the response ^_^ Just for the record, I wasn't trying to get a stereotype or anything. I know different girls have different reasons. I was genuinely curious since that spot is so common. At least one girl's answered :D (And happy birthday)

SammieBabe
11-26-2005, 03:31 AM
When I got my tattoo, I think I could probably equate the feeling to about a 3-hour-long persistant catscratch. But it's not so bad as long as you can focus on something else. The tattoo parlour was playing a Cranberries album I knew, so I just sang along with it while the guy did his art. :3

Exactly..I was lucky enough to have my husband to distract me the whole time.. and about 3 margaritas.. :D

Munition
11-26-2005, 03:57 AM
I have like 5 tattoo's. 1.A large Set of angel wings on my back. 2.A skelator dragon on my sholder down a little past my elbow. 3. G A M E O V E R Down the middle of my fingers. 4.A spider web on my elbow. 5.The tattoo that Red 13 has on his sholder from FF7 on my upper arm. I like Tatoo's and I love art so maybe thats why I like them so mutch ;D Never Know ><__><

Munition

Yooniece
11-26-2005, 07:36 AM
I have two. One is right behind my heart (on my back)... a small one of a crouching panther. The other is near my right pelvic bone and it is the kanji for my name.

Did it hurt?
Not as much as people said it would. The one on my lower body hurt more than the one on my back... obviously because of the difference in sensitivities of my skin at different body locations.

Opinions on tattoos?
This is a multi-part answer.

(1) I think it's HILARIOUS when I see non-Asian people with kanji tattoos. I read about a Japanese tattoo artist that got so offended that he began stenciling phrases such as "whore" and "ignorant bastard" on their backs.

(2) Tattoo sleeves really only work on guys.

(3) Girls who get Playboy bunnies tattooed right above their asses have a red blinking light over their heads, flashing the words "I am easy, fuck me now." They're just asking to be disrespected.

(4) Placement and taste is key. If you're a chick and you've gotten a complex tattoo in an area that may one day stretch beyond belief (especially if you're planning on having kids), that may have been a poor lapse of judgement. Spontaneous, tacky tattoos such as Spongebobs will one day be regretted.

(5) Do not get a tattoo unless you are SURE you want it. Some people feel that tattoos are so stylish and sexy that they'll rush off to LOOK for something they want inked into their skin. The idea for a tattoo shouldn't be forced. It should mean something to you and come to you naturally.

Rydia of Mist
11-26-2005, 01:05 PM
(5) Do not get a tattoo unless you are SURE you want it. Some people feel that tattoos are so stylish and sexy that they'll rush off to LOOK for something they want inked into their skin. The idea for a tattoo shouldn't be forced. It should mean something to you and come to you naturally.

Amen.

I knew exactly what I wanted, and why I wanted it, when I got mine. Same with the one that I want next: the American Idiot heart hand grenade (minus the hand) on the left side of my chest, after I have my surgery. First of all, it's not immediately recogniseable as a piece of Green Day artwork, but is still a very interesting bit of imagery. Secondly, the reasoning for the placement is obvious. ;) And there's the fact that I've been a Green Day fan for over ten damn years now.

...Good god, I'm ancient. D:

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
11-26-2005, 01:12 PM
I want a tiny Yevon sign on my wrists. or an Anima on my chest. Don't think I would have the nerve to get the Anima one though.... I AM getting the yevon one though. How old do you have to be in the UK?