PDA

View Full Version : What is Pocketstation?

Aurora_sword
11-22-2005, 11:11 PM
This has been bothering me for years, ever since I got FF8 last millenia.
Is it true that you can only buy a pocketstation in Japan? What is it really? Are there other games that uses pocketstation? Do you have a pocketstation?

ShivaBlizzard8
11-24-2005, 06:26 AM
Is it true that you can only buy a pocketstation in Japan?
Yes and no. It was only ever sold in Japan. But you can find them on eBay and such.

What is it really?
From what I gather, a mini hand-held DigiPet-looking device with black block graphics that plays silly games and somehow connects to your PS1.

Are there other games that uses pocketstation?
Not that I know of, but probably.

Do you have a pocketstation?
No.

Nasarian Altimeros
11-24-2005, 07:38 AM
PSP < Pocketstation :D

Aurora_sword
11-24-2005, 01:51 PM
PSP < Pocketstation :D
...I'm sure that's not it.

Mirage
11-24-2005, 05:04 PM
Apparently, PS1 memory cards that have more than 128kB of storage space use some sort of Pocketstation-like technology, because the PS2 recognize them as Pocketstations.

Reine
11-24-2005, 05:06 PM
Yeah, I noticed that too..

Aurora_sword
11-24-2005, 05:13 PM
Apparently, PS1 memory cards that have more than 128kB of storage space use some sort of Pocketstation-like technology, because the PS2 recognize them as Pocketstations.
But I think the smallest memory card capacity for PSX is 1MB (the 15 blocks one)

Mirage
11-25-2005, 01:50 PM
No, that's one megabit. You see, sony tricked us into believing we got one whole megabyte, but it's really just 128 kB. You'll notice whenever you stick a standard PS1 memory card in your PS2. It'll say 122kb free when it's empty. When it's bit, you should also use a lowercase "b", but it seems like Sony conveniently forgot that. The PS2 memory cards however, are 8 megabytes, not megabits.

Oh, when I've gotten started about memory cards, I feel like ranting about the GC memory cards. They're 4 megabits, which equals 512 kB or something. This is half a megabyte, and they cost about half of what a PS2 memory card costs. This means GC memory cards cost 8 times more than PS2 memory cards, when comparing how much space you get. Talk about ripping us off.