PDA

View Full Version : Smash Bros. Revolution Director Revealed

Crossblades
11-23-2005, 03:49 PM
http://cube.ign.com/articles/667/667525p1.html

Masahiro Sakurai may have left Nintendo for the independent game designer track, but Nintendo's not leaving him out of the series for which he's most known. In the latest Famitsu, Sakurai, head of his own company, Sora, reveals that he is serving as a director and game designer on Super Smash Bros. for the Revolution.

Sakurai is known in most circles as the game designer responsible for the Super Smash Bros. series in the first place. He's also known for his work on the Kirby series and, most recently, as the creative force behind Q Entertainment's Meteos for the DS.
This announcement comes as somewhat of a surprise, seeing as how Sakurai left Nintendo's HAL Labs in Fall of 2003. Sakurai reveals, though, that when leaving Nintendo, his former boss, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata, suggested that he might be consulted in the case of a Super Smash Bros. sequel. The real surprise for Sakurai came at this past E3, when Nintendo announced that Super Smash Bros. was in development for the Revolution and would be Wi-Fi compatible. Sakura had apparently heard nothing of the title at that point, although he was in attendance at the Nintendo press conference.

But he was to become involved in a big way following the announcement. One day at E3, Sakurai reveals, he was called to Iwata's room on the top floor of a Los Angeles hotel, and told by Iwata, "We'd like you to be involved in the production of the new Smash Bros., if possible near the level of director."

Sakurai's comments suggest that Super Smash Bros. may not be as far along in development as some had initially thought. At E3, Nintendo raised Smash Bros. for Revolution as an example of the Wi-Fi connection program that would kick off with the DS later in the year. Actual production hadn't begun at the time.

Given the success of Super Smash Bros. Melee for the GameCube, many have been expecting a new entry to launch with the Revolution. Nintendo actually suggested as much in its announcement at E3. But we're getting ahead of ourselves. Confirmation of Sakurai's involvement in the project has us even more excited about Super Smash Bros. Revolution, especially given his apparent enthusiasm for the Revolution controller. Let's hope this news bit signals the start of frequent revelations on games for Nintendo's new system.

Rase
11-23-2005, 04:48 PM
Well, it looks like he has had a hand in quite a few great games, and the fact that he was a driving force behind the original SSB and Melee can only mean good things. Still, I due doubt that the new SSB will be a launch title for the Revolution, though Nintendo has surprised before.

Nice find.

Erdrick Holmes
11-23-2005, 04:58 PM
I heard the new SB game would be including downloadable characters as well as unlockable sega characters.

Lord Xehanort
11-23-2005, 05:13 PM
*imagines pwning Pikachu as Shadow*

Sweeeet.....

Ultima Shadow
11-23-2005, 05:45 PM
*gets even more excited about SSBR* :hyper:

Elite Lord Sigma
11-24-2005, 05:20 PM
This just makes me even more excited. I love seeing the look on people's faces when they get pwned by an electric mouse.

ffxfreak93
11-24-2005, 07:08 PM
seriously...

Pouring Rain
12-01-2005, 06:49 PM
That's cool. Shadow vs. Link. Idk, I always wanted to see that. Along with Amy vs. Peach. But anyway, lets pray it will be good. >.<