PDA

View Full Version : ip address

Karl
11-23-2005, 06:40 PM
im not to eduacated about computer crap but doesnt an ip tell somethin about some ones location? and im wonderin if there is anyw ay to reset my ip address to make me from a dif country.

Shoeberto
11-23-2005, 06:49 PM
An IP number is the number that represents your machine on a network. The IP address that you have online is assigned to you by your ISP.

You can't change your online IP directly, however, you can use a proxy. A proxy is a machine that acts like a halfway point between you and what you're looking for. It works like this: Say you want to go to Google. You type it into your address bar and hit enter. The request is first sent to the proxy server. Then, the proxy server sends your request to the Google servers. Google only sees the request from the proxy, and sends a response to the proxy. When the proxy receives the response, it sends it to you. Using a proxy doesn't really change your IP, but it does mask it.

The easiest way to use a proxy is to look up a list of publicly available proxy servers, then set up your browser to use that server as a proxy. The option is usually under the browser's connection settings in its preferences. It depends on what browser you use, though.

Karl
11-23-2005, 06:52 PM
that was thorough which is what i needed thx

Zante
11-23-2005, 07:07 PM
Most sites can see through proxys thoug, so look for a high anonymity one.

rubah
11-23-2005, 07:49 PM
And yes, IPs can tell your location. If you're intuitive you could tell from the resolved host mask (which is why newcomers to chat find themselves dismayed because their general location isn't a secret) or you could use a program such as NeoTrace or something like that.