PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 is Not a Revolution

Tidus Andronicus
11-23-2005, 06:48 PM
Xbox 360 is Not a Revolution
And here it is: 10 reasons why you should skip Microsoft's 360 and wait for the real gaming revolution.
by Matt Casamassina

November 22, 2005 - We like to consider ourselves equal opportunity gamers. We love Nintendo and we adore its home consoles. But we've never been in the practice of ignoring or, worse, proactively picketing competing systems simply because they are not made by Nintendo. That being true, we have naturally followed the launch of Microsoft's new console from concept to ship date, carefully weighing the pluses and minuses to jumping into the next generation. Our Xbox 360 sister site recently published the article, "Top 10 Reasons to Buy an Xbox 360," and the piece made some convincing arguments. These were arguments, we're confident, that the scores of consumers lined up on Monday night to get the new console would heartily second without a moment's hesitation.

For the record, we have already purchased our Xbox 360 consoles and we would recommend the console to players whose wallets know no boundaries.

And yet, what kind of editors would we be if we didn't play devil's advocate? Are there any reasons not to get an Xbox 360? And just as valuable to any Nintendo fan, are there any advantages to passing on Microsoft's system altogether and getting a Revolution instead? We thought about both questions for a time and came up with 10 legitimate reasons for single-system users to wait it out. Here they are…

#10. Limited Funds and Quantities
There it is: the most obvious reason to stay away from Microsoft's new console. Ironically, you may have no choice in the matter. Xbox 360 doesn't come cheap and it doesn't come easy. The low-end system retails for $299 and the high-end version for $100 more. Add in a second wireless controller, a network adapter, and a handful of games, and the platform could set you back as much as $1,000 smackers. That's a lot of cash to drop for the so-called high-definition gaming revolution.

Every bit as big of a deterrent is that Xbox 360 is only available in very limited supply through March of next year, according to Microsoft. What this really means is that if you haven't pre-ordered it already, you won't be able to get it in time to enjoy it this holiday. Just ask the thousands of gamers who camped out in front of their local videogames retailer for 12 hours straight only to be turned away when supplies fell well short of expectations.

The news gets worse. If you're a desperate parent who promised your son a 360 for Christmas, but didn't reserve a unit a head of time, you'll have to break the bank to make good. Crafty consumers are already selling 360s on EBay, but they're going for ridiculously inflated prices. We don't know what's more frightening: the fact that sellers are asking $2,000-plus for the system, or that these auctions are still yielding dozens of bidders.

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/670/670078/xbox-360-is-not-a-revolution-20051122070741376.jpg
A screenshot of Perfect Dark Zero, which plays exactly like its N64 predecessor.

#9. Same Games, Prettier Graphics
We don't want to downplay some of the presentational accomplishments that first generation games have already demonstrated on Microsoft's new console. Certainly titles like Condemned bring to the table more atmospheric and immersive gameplay environments than were commonplace in the previous round of consoles. And yet, if you're expecting completely new gameplay scenarios, you're bound to be in for a disappointment with the 360 selection -- at least thus far. The fact of the matter is, all of the Xbox 360 launch titles offer prettier, more realistic graphics, but don't really play fundamentally different from current generation projects. Perfect Dark Zero, for example, plays a lot like Perfect Dark (N64) with significantly enhanced visuals. Madden 360 plays like Madden, but it looks more lifelike. Are we still impressed? Sure. But is it enough to warrant a new, pricy console? Perhaps not. If you only pick up a console per generation, you might consider waiting to see what the competitors offer. Whether you ultimately choose to go with a PlayStation 3 or a Revolution, you might be better served, and for exceptionally different reasons. PS3 promises more power than 360 and potentially greater visual accomplishments. In contrast, Revolution is set to bring about an entirely new way to play games.

#8. 360 Doesn't Have Legend of Zelda
We don't want to dwell on the obvious, but it is an important point, especially since you're reading a Nintendo-centric channel and not a Microsoft one. Xbox 360 may have a lot of things going for it, but the platform doesn't have The Legend of Zelda franchise -- and it never will. If you want to control series hero Link in an all new home console adventure, you can only do it with Nintendo Revolution. And the same is true for all of Nintendo's major games, from Mario to Pikmin, F-Zero and Kid Icarus. You can only find them on one next generation platform and it's not Xbox 360. Considering that millions of gamers have stayed loyal to the Big N through the years simply because they adore these characters and franchises, you'll definitely want to consider this point when planning your next hardware purchase.

#7. Girls and Grandpas Will Play Revolution
Not exactly a riveting headline, we know, but there's some truth to it. Microsoft's new console is designed from the ground up to appeal to hardcore gamers and it shows. There are several major first-person shooters available at the system's launch to prove this point. And that's just fine. But what about the rest of the world? Can you ever look forward to the day when your girlfriend legitimately wants to play a videogame with or against you, or is it destined to remain a reoccurring daydream? It just might happen, if Nintendo has its way. The company has designed Revolution to be an attractive entertainment option for casual gamers -- a.k.a. your mom, your girlfriend and your grandpa. That's because many Revolution games will be pick-up-and-play friendly and offer enhanced multiplayer components. The official teaser video for the console's new controller spotlights casuals as they intuitively enjoy everything from cooking to tennis games. Will it really happen? It's still up in the air, but there's certainly a better chance with Revolution than any other console. And you know you want to rock your girlfriend in a Revolution-exclusive fly-swatting contest.

#6. Metroid Prime 3
True enough, Samus Aran is one of the greatest videogame heroines ever created and she's reason enough to wait for Revolution over Xbox 360 if you're only getting one system. But we're citing Metroid Prime 3 here to make a point, which is that Revolution will also cater to hardcore players with traditional software. Prime 3 is already deep in development by Retro Studios and it will make use of Revolution's pioneering controller for a level of precision and freedom simply not possible on Xbox 360. Halo 3 may be the most anticipated FPS of all time, but we will guarantee you this right now: Metroid Prime 3 is going to absolutely eclipse it where control is concerned. And that really begs the question, are we playing these games or are we looking at them? Hardcore players can look forward to a variety of adult software on Nintendo's new system, including a new Final Fantasy, a first-person shooter from Ubisoft, and much more. And since developers are already dedicating large teams to make Revolution software, discerning crowds can finally look forward to something sorely missing from the majority of third party GameCube titles: original efforts designed from the ground up for the system.

#5. Revolution Will Be a Lot Cheaper
It comes back to price. Do you want to pay $400 and up for your videogame system? If the answer is no then you should skip 360 and wait for Revolution. Nintendo's future console will ship at a price point hundreds of dollars cheaper than competitors. We don't have official numbers yet, but early word from analysts, developers and even Nintendo itself is that a mass market price is absolutely integral for Revolution's launch. Some have speculated that the console could debut at under $200 big ones, which seems to be the magic number for the majority of consumers.

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/670/670078/mariofizzleeature_1132717520.jpg
Revolution plays five generations of games. Here we see Mario on NES, S-NES, N64 and GCN.

#4. True Backward Compatibility
Microsoft calls Xbox 360 a backward compatible console, but that's not entirely true. The fact is, hundreds of Xbox games -- like The Chronicles of Riddick -- cannot yet be played on the company's latest machine. This is unfortunate because it means that 360 buyers will need to hold onto their original Xbox systems to play many older offerings, which is not ideal, particularly for minimalists who'd prefer to avoid clutter in their living rooms.

Revolution is in contrast the ultimate backward compatible console. It not only plays every GameCube title in existence, but potentially every game ever released for a Nintendo platform. The Big N refers to this functionality as a "virtual console." The system accepts both GameCube and Revolution discs into its slot-loading drive. Meanwhile, four controller ports and two Memory Pak slots located to one side of Revolution enable full GameCube support. But the fun doesn't stop there. Revolution works in conjunction with Nintendo's Wi-Fi Connection service, allowing users to connect to designated servers and download their favorite NES, S-NES and N64 games, all of which are fully playable.

Super Mario Bros. Super Mario World. Super Mario 64. Super Mario Sunshine. Super Mario 128. Five generations of AAA software. One console.
Xbox 360 cannot begin to compete.

#3. Revolution is Small, Stylish, and Quiet
Xbox 360 may have a stylish design, but the system is neither small nor quiet. These issues are not to be shrugged off or underestimated. Consumers today are more demanding than ever before. They want form and functionality. Case in point: Apple Computer has made a name for itself with products that meet the computing requirements of buyers without sacrificing hardware presentation. The design of Revolution would likely make Apple's people proud. It's gorgeous. Not only does its glossy white (or black) shell look like an Apple concept, but it's tiny, doing for consoles what iMac does for computers. Gamers can with Revolution fit the device anywhere and the chances are good that it will look outstanding. Complementing both the machine's design and its size is another welcomed truth: it's going to be incomprehensibly quiet, according to Nintendo.

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/670/670078/xbox-360-is-not-a-revolution-20051122070558150.jpg
The Xbox 360's power adapter is roughly 1,000 times larger than Earth.

These benefits may seem easy to dismiss, but trust us when we stress that they're worth your consideration. We've been playing with our Xbox 360s for a couple of weeks and they're big, they're bulky and they're loud. The 360's power adapter alone could probably serve as a foundation for a two-story house -- it's that big and obtrusive. And when powering through a game of Perfect Dark Zero, we need to turn the volume up to distract ourselves from the system's overbearing fan.

#2. Super Smash Bros. Online
It would have been easy for us to compile this list had we chosen to simply feature a series of inevitable Revolution games. Certainly the next generation console versions of everything from Pokemon to Nintendogs would be more than enough reasons to convince Nintendo fans to wait for Revolution. But we decided to instead pull back a little ways and look at the potential of the console as a whole. Now, however, we're going in for a closer peek. If any single game sums up the potential of Revolution, or why you should wait for it above any competing system, it's the new Super Smash Bros. title. It's underway by Nintendo and HAL and it promises several amazing things: first and foremost, an unparalleled cast of cherished mascots. Second, new and improved fighting mechanics made possible by way of the Revolution controller. And every bit as important, a massive online multiplayer component. The GameCube Super Smash Bros. Melee remains one of the console's best titles, and gamers continue to explore it at great lengths even today. The Revolution sequel could be vastly superior.

Now let's step back again. Super Smash Bros. Revolution is significant because it also represents Nintendo's long overdue journey into home console online gaming. The possibilities are endless. Imagine an online-enhanced Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. Or an online interface in Metroid Prime 3 where you play as Samus and your friends as Space Pirates.

We would never speak ill of Xbox Live. It is a phenomenal service and a major reason to pick up an Xbox 360. But if given the chance to play Perfect Dark Zero or Mario Kart DS online, we'd choose Nintendo's racer any day of the week -- and it is bound to pale in comparison to the inevitable Revolution version. If you are like us, you may want to skip 360 and wait for Revolution.

#1. The Controller Will Change Everything
Let's get right to the point. High-definition games look fabulous. Xbox 360 has them and Revolution doesn't. So if you're a Nintendo nut who's keen on in-game visuals -- and we all are -- you're probably disappointed with Nintendo's decision to cut HD from its next generation console. That's understandable. We're not asking you to forget about the omission. We are, however, suggesting that you reconsider your gaming priorities. Because there will come a point -- maybe this year, maybe in two or three -- when the novelty of crisper textures wears a little thin. And what do you have left? What has always been and what will always be the most important element of any videogame: gameplay.

If you're the type of gamer who agrees with these statements then you will absolutely, positively want to skip Xbox 360 and wait for Revolution.

Nintendo's next generation console is poised to live up to its codename. Not because it can process a gatrillion polygons. Not because it can run every game at 120 frames per second. But because it dares to change the very definition of videogames with a unique new controller that dismisses many of the mechanical fundamentals that Nintendo itself invented.

Revolution owners will no longer be limited by their controllers. The pioneering peripheral transcends the archaic dual-analog setup to give you full 3D movement and manipulation in your games. You can swing a sword like you would in real life. You can dice an onion as though it were right in front of you. Or you can shoot down an enemy as if the gun were in your hand and not merely a clumsy extension of an analog stick. This is true gaming innovation and its uses are limitless.

The Revolution controller (with its accessories) will cater to both the hardcore and casual gamer in ways not possible on Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3. It will enable new and inventive games not possible on other systems. And it will potentially make games better than they have ever been before.
http://cube.ign.com/articles/670/670078p1.html

Couldn't have said it better myself, although I could have added a few more reasons... :rolleyes2
For example: Many 360 owners are already experiancing crashes while they play 360 games... some are so often, they can't even finish the first level of their game! Where as with Nintendo, you can count on quality, from the moment of launch! Hey, I'm not even pointing out the problems Sony has with their hardware!

I'm sure Sony fans will enjoy their PS3, and Xbox fans will enjoy the 360. But I've certainly seen 'the light', and I'll choose affordability, quality, and gameplay... over better graphics anyday... It also helps that Nintendo has more of the games I want to play. ;)
Honestly though, I really used to be a Sony fan... although I just can't see why now. XD

Anyway, the article is worth the read... and the Revolution is worth the wait... :p

TurkSlayer
11-23-2005, 06:53 PM
I don't agree with the #1 reason, I hate that fucking controller, but I agree with several of the other points. Particuarly #5.

P.S. And I don't like Metroid.

Necronopticous
11-23-2005, 07:08 PM
I sense a bit of bias in this article. Anyway, I don't even want a 360 beside the fact that Mistwalker is developing games for it. I'm looking more forward to PS3 than the Nintendo Revolution though.

Hawkeye
11-23-2005, 07:13 PM
What kind of article is that? Doesnt have Metroid or zelda or whatever, that was crap. Humerous, but crap.

edczxcvbnm
11-23-2005, 07:14 PM
If there is one thing the XBox 360 does better than the others is that they got it right with their controller. That thing is awesome.

360 will bomb in Japan just like XBox. The launch is full of FPS games and the like. The japs don't like that stuff.

Tidus Andronicus
11-23-2005, 07:17 PM
Agreed... I am looking forward to both Rev and PS3... but my buget... for now anyway, can only handle the Rev... XD

Meh... ts impossible to escape Bias opinions... lol
This article was in response to the one the Xbox360 IGN guys put up called "Top 10 Reasons to Buy an Xbox 360 (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/668/668897p1.html)".

on another note... even the teamxbox forums are filled with "help! my 360 keeps crashing" threads... XD

Rainecloud
11-23-2005, 07:25 PM
And that's why I love Nintendo so very much.

I'll definitely be purchasing my Revolution, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll have a positive impact on the gaming world.

XxSephirothxX
11-23-2005, 07:32 PM
Just as their "Why to wait for the PS3" article, that is just a load of crap coming from IGN. I don't know if it's just retarded fanboy bias or their attempt at humor. Most of the things listed, while being good reasons to get a Revolution, are certainly not good reasons to not get an Xbox 360. Perfect Dark Zero doesn't play "Just like the original," and while the 360 is not a revolution, it's most certainly an evolution, and the way the Dashboard is integrated into everything the console can do is fabulous. And I think Xbox Live's improvements for this generation will be outstanding and will probably provide a better service than anything Nintendo or Sony come up with, although that could change in the future if Microsoft's competitors actually focus on a solid online interface. I'm looking forward to all three next gen consoles, but I'm certainly getting an Xbox 360 because the controller is virtually perfect, the online gameplay will be better than ever, and it'll have quite a few quality titles eventually, despite a somewhat weak launch. In my opinion, there's no reason not to get an Xbox 360 unless you have no interest in the games or don't have enough money or something of that nature. It's a competent system, and with three 3+ GHZ processors, it'll be able to pump out some amazing looking games in the future; and the ones out now don't look too shabby.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
11-23-2005, 07:38 PM
under $200?? got my revolution:)

Yew-Yevon
11-23-2005, 07:40 PM
for the sony fans...http://ps3.ign.com/articles/668/668446p1.html 10 resons to wait for PS3

Psychotic
11-23-2005, 07:41 PM
How much do you reckon Nintendo are paying IGN?

Yamaneko
11-23-2005, 07:43 PM
IGN is owned by Fox News Group, no?

Anyway, that article is pointless.

Dreddz
11-23-2005, 07:46 PM
Well, My money is tucked away till the PS3 is out.
The only up side for the 360 is that ridge racer 6 is on it. But thus, GT will be on the PS3 .....

Tidus Andronicus
11-23-2005, 07:47 PM
None at all Psychotic... Nintendo is one of the few that dont do that... just like they dont 'doctor' their screenshots, where as MS and Sony do...

IGN just posted an article like this for each system. XD

Even so, there are plenty of reasons to wait... probably the best being...
Wait till you see ALL of them, before you make a desision.

As for people like me, that aren't that interested in great graphics anymore, as much as gameplay... Well, lets just say, the Revolution interests me so much, it might just be the first console that I EVER preorder! ^_~ (situation depending of course, but I'm sure I might preorder it, closer to launch.) I've never done that before... XD I always waited to see what kind of bugs would appear and what fans would say and such... lol

Rase
11-23-2005, 07:51 PM
Seems to me the point of the article to to tell you why you should get a Revolution over a 360, so of course it'll be biased toward Nintendo. The Zelda and Metroid comments seems the same as people saying to buy the 360 because it will have Halo, or the PS3 because of FF of MGS.

As for the article itself, well, it seems a little odd.. Dropping $1,000 dollars is a little exagerated, since the premium package costs $400 and comes with a wireless controller. Buying another, along with a wireless adapter brings it to $550. Cheap, no, but unless you buy 7-9 games, it's not near the $1,000 mark.

I'm just gonna wait to see what all the new console bring to the table. Though if I had the money, I'd definetly get a 360.

Destai
11-23-2005, 07:52 PM
I dont like the 360 but thats one hella stupid article.

Ultima Shadow
11-23-2005, 09:39 PM
SSBR alone is enough of a reason for me to get a Revolution and I'll also get a PS3, mainly because of FF. As for Xbox 360... the only game that I'm really excited about so far, Oblivion, will be aviable for PC anyways...

So yeah... there's a 99,9998% chanse that I'll get a Revolution AND a PS3 but not an Xbox 360.:greenie:

Maxico
11-23-2005, 10:21 PM
Oh so very typical. There are teams dedicated to each system, however its the NINTENDO fanboys that blatently dedicate their entire article to attacking the opposition. Not doing yourselves any favours there.

Meh... ts impossible to escape Bias opinions... lol
Yes, especialy when you're perpetuating them.

ZeZipster
11-23-2005, 10:22 PM
None at all Psychotic... Nintendo is one of the few that dont do that... just like they dont 'doctor' their screenshots, where as MS and Sony do...

O RLY (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/05/13)

Samuraid
11-23-2005, 11:58 PM
Anyway, that article is pointless.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
11-24-2005, 12:15 AM
O RLY (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/05/13)
hilarious

BatChao
11-24-2005, 01:24 AM
Oh so very typical. There are teams dedicated to each system, however its the NINTENDO fanboys that blatently dedicate their entire article to attacking the opposition. Not doing yourselves any favours there.

Umm... you guys do know that each IGN site ran an article on why not to buy the 360 (or in the 360's site, why TO buy one), right? Just to set the record straight, the PS3 site wrote their's first:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/668/668446p1.html

Then came the Xbox 360's version:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/668/668897p1.html

Then lastly the Revolution's. Also, Matt Casamassina, the writer of the Revolution article is highly sarcastic... and the list seems more of a parody of the other two lists with bits of truth thrown in rather than a full blown, whole hearted list. When I read it, it seemed to be written with a sarcastic tone.

fire_of_avalon
11-24-2005, 02:12 AM
I don't see why you're all getting bent out of shape over a silly top ten article. xD

Fithos
11-24-2005, 03:10 AM
The list was humorus with truth. but what really bugs me is, last night on the news, the reporters were saying how the 360 was going to "revolutionize" gaming. this disgusted me because, although i have no problem with the xbox, they didnt change anything. the controller is the same. its the same type of games, the same gameplay. what did they revolutionize? seriously their product is far from innovative. It really is just a updated xbox. like you might update a computer, all the software is basically the same.

ljkkjlcm9
11-24-2005, 03:20 AM
you people are blowing this out or proportion. AS people have said, each section of IGN printed an article about the 360.

Of course it's biased, it's the Nintendo section. PLUS if you read the title, it says, Xbox 360 is not a Revolution, not meaning a revolution in gaming, but actually referring the the Revolution system. You people need to pay more attention. The article was about reasons to not get a 360 and to get a Revolution, and the article is obviously targeted at Nintendo fans, so just deal.

THE JACKEL

Tidus Andronicus
11-24-2005, 04:15 AM
yah... lol just like the PS3 one is aimed at the Sony fans... X3
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/668/668446p1.html

Hey, even the PS guys say 360 isn't worth it... So its not just the Nintendo fanboy article. XD

And although, I could care less what other people buy... and I try to look at consoles equally... I feel like Revolution is worth promoting! lol
I can just clearly see that Rev and PS3 are worth waiting for... even if its just waiting... to see which is best. ^_~

lordblazer
11-24-2005, 04:20 AM
I sense a bit of bias in this article. Anyway, I don't even want a 360 beside the fact that Mistwalker is developing games for it. I'm looking more forward to PS3 than the Nintendo Revolution though.
The only thing I was looking forward to ont he 360 was Oblivion made by Bethesda I love their games.

If there is one thing the XBox 360 does better than the others is that they got it right with their controller. That thing is awesome.

360 will bomb in Japan just like XBox. The launch is full of FPS games and the like. The japs don't like that stuff.
Microsoft is an American Company ...who gives a /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif about the japaneese?Japan's economy is the size of California's lol. Its a aobut time a company of another country besides "Japan" gets into the console market. I mean don't expect anything big right now except for the game Oblivion. Which is a RPG but it isn't a Japaneese RPG because it ain't playable anime. Its more like Morrowind if you have ever played a real RPG Morrowind will be one.

Also FPS games are the best lol in my opinion. They sell better in North and South America and in Europe.

They don't sell good in Japan for some reason but FPS game developers really don't care about them they know it ownt sell in Japan so they won't market FPS games that much in Japan. But who cares if it bombs in Japan.. Does crap have to be approved by the japaneese in order for people to know its good or not?

The list was humorus with truth. but what really bugs me is, last night on the news, the reporters were saying how the 360 was going to "revolutionize" gaming. this disgusted me because, although i have no problem with the xbox, they didnt change anything. the controller is the same. its the same type of games, the same gameplay. what did they revolutionize? seriously their product is far from innovative. It really is just a updated xbox. like you might update a computer, all the software is basically the same.
xbox 360 isn't a game its a console and most of its devlppers are PC game developers and I mean the /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif just came out but if oyu look at its capabilities Xbox 360 is revolutionary just like the Xbox just like the Sega Dreamcast. It sets a bar on performance. Microsoft is good at marketing towards PC game developers and a few quality games are going to come out soon. Such as Oblivion, and Call Of Duty 2.

edczxcvbnm
11-24-2005, 08:15 AM
Microsoft is an American Company ...who gives a /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif about the japaneese?Japan's economy is the size of California's lol. Its a aobut time a company of another country besides "Japan" gets into the console market. I mean don't expect anything big right now except for the game Oblivion. Which is a RPG but it isn't a Japaneese RPG because it ain't playable anime. Its more like Morrowind if you have ever played a real RPG Morrowind will be one.

Also FPS games are the best lol in my opinion. They sell better in North and South America and in Europe.

They don't sell good in Japan for some reason but FPS game developers really don't care about them they know it ownt sell in Japan so they won't market FPS games that much in Japan. But who cares if it bombs in Japan.. Does crap have to be approved by the japaneese in order for people to know its good or not?

I care because I like Japanese games more such as MGS, Rez or Pikmin. If the 360 doesn't gain considerable market share over there then those games will almost all go to the PS3 and last gen will turn out like this one. I don't have a problem with micrsoft being the #1 console maker but if all they have is FPS games and such in the future then they will not be the #1 console maker as they will miss about 1/3rd of the market.

Now that this is out of the way...I played Perfect Dark Zero and Call of Duty 2 on the 360...both games sucked and had some serious flaws to me. Perfect dark just had /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifty level design and seemed to move at too slow of a pace. Also lack of the jump button is a big piss off.

Call of Duty 2 can only have 1 person per system when system linked but can have 4 on a box if you are doing regular multi-player. What the hell is up with that. Outside of that huge glaring flaw the game was fine from what I played.

Primus Inter Pares
11-24-2005, 08:23 AM
I don't see why you're all getting bent out of shape over a silly top ten article. xD
...it's a religion to them.

Convert to PiPism :D

Lionx
11-24-2005, 12:15 PM
Japan might not be as huge economy as CA(or so you say) but gamingwise they beat US i would think.

In any case nothing has changed, Revolution, then PS3. Xbox has failed to impress me again since most of it doesnt cater to me.

Yew-Yevon
11-24-2005, 01:30 PM
and MC saying that all of PS3 fotage is prerenderd propaganda is crap...the british official who is helping development of PS3 clearly stated that everything on that show ran on the hardware in realtime...if killzone and MGS looks that good with good game play, along with strong Japanies support...360's up a /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif creek without a padle

crashNUMBERS
11-24-2005, 02:20 PM
I was gonna have respect for that article but that was cracked up to be. All they did was compare Xbox 360 with the revolution. Compare it with the real winner, Playstation 3...

Lionx
11-24-2005, 02:35 PM
Crash if you look at the link, its the Nintendo section..PS3 section of the site also had a list of this but instead it was all for the PS3 (no mention of Rev) >_>;

crashNUMBERS
11-24-2005, 03:29 PM
Crash if you look at the link, its the Nintendo section..PS3 section of the site also had a list of this but instead it was all for the PS3 (no mention of Rev) >_>;
XD But they should consider comparing it with the PS3...

Erdrick Holmes
11-24-2005, 03:36 PM
The 360 will probably pick up popularity soon once Halo 3 gets made. I just hope KoF XI makes it to the 360.

Yet the rev seems more lovely as I hear about it. Not only is it backwards compatable with Nintendo games, it's compatable to download Sega classics. Who knows, with all of this Sega support for the Rev it might just get an exclusive to Guilty Gear X3.

Rye
11-24-2005, 03:40 PM
That was pretty funny. Biased, but funny. I'm not getting the 360. Not because of that article, just because the games for it don't interest me. I'm not into online games too much. It still looks good throu I'm not getting the Revolution, because my brother is getting that. That one looks pretty cool. I'm gonna get the PS3 when that comes out, or my brother might get that since he seems to have a surplus of money constantly. Game console bias makes me sad. Remember kids:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y88/Ryechu/holdhands.gif

Erdrick Holmes
11-24-2005, 03:42 PM
Xbox- Ok, we got him. Gamecube, hold the other hand whil Joel so Joel can repeatedly punch him and not move.

I was watching this thing about the games for the Next Gen consoles. This annoyed me about the launch titles for both the 360 and the PS3. It's got like 50,000 RACING GAMES. Come on, we don't need that many racing games.

lordblazer
11-24-2005, 03:44 PM
I care because I like Japanese games more such as MGS, Rez or Pikmin. If the 360 doesn't gain considerable market share over there then those games will almost all go to the PS3 and last gen will turn out like this one. I don't have a problem with micrsoft being the #1 console maker but if all they have is FPS games and such in the future then they will not be the #1 console maker as they will miss about 1/3rd of the market.

Now that this is out of the way...I played Perfect Dark Zero and Call of Duty 2 on the 360...both games sucked and had some serious flaws to me. Perfect dark just had /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifty level design and seemed to move at too slow of a pace. Also lack of the jump button is a big piss off.

Call of Duty 2 can only have 1 person per system when system linked but can have 4 on a box if you are doing regular multi-player. What the hell is up with that. Outside of that huge glaring flaw the game was fine from what I played.
Perfect Dark sucks but Call Of Duty owns you lol

Seriously though screw japan. I hate how Sony and Nintendo conduct business. Mainly Sony. I noticed for the PS2 that they crapped out some crappy RPG "playab;e anime" game every week.

While Xbox crapped out Morrowind and Fable but didn't get credit for /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif because Morrowind is "too intimidating for an RPG."

Microsoft doesnt have nothing but FPS they just make the most on the console. They have plenty of other gaming genre's.

Anyway have you played Oblivion yet? Man I wanna get it so badly.

XD But they should consider comparing it with the PS3...
But you see Sony is a japaneese company. Microsoft = American company.

Anyway most gamers and fanboys think

"If it ain't from Japan it ain't worth my time."

Old Manus
11-24-2005, 04:24 PM
I am happy that they are slating the 360, but not happy that they are masturbating over the Revolution. If i wanted to play mario, wait, I wouldn't.

crashNUMBERS
11-24-2005, 05:25 PM

Oh but the Nintendo is a japanese company aswell. Think about that...

I'm gonna get the PS3 when that comes out,
You're a good girl

Game console bias makes me sad.
I may sound bias but Playstation did bring gaming to a new demension. Think about. NES was revolutionary, 'cause it really brought the feel of gaming. Snes had some of the best games in time, along with some of the best RPGs. Then there is the playstation. If you look at it correctly and see the same vision through my dense eyes you'll see that the original PlayStation had the most best games of any gender. Get what Im sayin'??

Maxico
11-24-2005, 06:02 PM
I may sound bias but Playstation did bring gaming to a new demention. Think about. NES was revolutionary, 'cause it really brought the feel of gaming. Snes had some of the best games in time, along with some of the best RPGs. Then there is the playstation. If you look at it correctly and see the same vision through my dense eyes you'll see that the original PlayStation had the most best games of any gender. Get what Im sayin'??

Ouch, my brain.

Destai
11-24-2005, 06:28 PM
best gender ever srsly

Vyk
11-24-2005, 07:00 PM
I've played enough Mario, Zelda, and Metroid. Thanks. Nintendo already screwed up the last two generations. And I was stupid enough to buy both systems. I'm not making that mistake again.

Yew-Yevon
11-24-2005, 07:24 PM
:temigi: Japan:tehidari: has a much larger population....as oposed to the US

(I'm Canadian by the way):kaocheer:

If Microsoft wants to go long in the game world their gana have to a bit of muticulturalism in the 360. Sony games cover lots of culture and apeal to a huge audience, where as on of the only Xbox games I know of that was sapose to be japanies....sucked total ass, I'm talkin of Sudeki!:kaocry2: The very name had no meaning in the japanies language:kaodizzy: , the FF searies on the other hand was full of deep story, sybolism, and depth all around. honestly...the one company that has sucked in the fans by the millions around the world, knows what their doing.:kaoclove:

and to Microsoft...Don't insult the PS3 with coments that have no ground:kaoangry: all that prerendered talk is just not making your's look any better...Sony could say the same afterall:kaofight:

Maxico
11-24-2005, 10:20 PM
:temigi: Japan:tehidari: has a much larger population....as oposed to the US

(I'm Canadian by the way):kaocheer:

If Microsoft wants to go long in the game world their gana have to a bit of muticulturalism in the 360. Sony games cover lots of culture and apeal to a huge audience, where as on of the only Xbox games I know of that was sapose to be japanies....sucked total ass, I'm talkin of Sudeki!:kaocry2: The very name had no meaning in the japanies language:kaodizzy: , the FF searies on the other hand was full of deep story, sybolism, and depth all around. honestly...the one company that has sucked in the fans by the millions around the world, knows what their doing.:kaoclove:

and to Microsoft...Don't insult the PS3 with coments that have no ground:kaoangry: all that prerendered talk is just not making your's look any better...Sony could say the same afterall:kaofight:

There's so much wrong with that it hurts.

America has a much larger population than Japan.

Sony is a Japanese company so it is instantly more attractive to Japanese people. It is also easily accepted by westerners as most games consoles have been Japanese for some time now.

Microsoft on the other hand is an American company moving into a Japanese centric industry. Therefore no matter what they do Japan is always going to be a tricky subject for them.

Sudeki was developed by an English development studio.

As far as I know Microsoft didn't attack Sony, it was industry experts and critics. If Microsoft said anything they simply repeated what was said before.

fantasyjunkie
11-24-2005, 11:32 PM
I see good points and bad for all 3 systems. it's just a matter of which system is best for you. Ive been playing video games for 30 years now(pong was my first and I cant believe i spent hours on it :rolleyes2 ) and one thing I know is that there is no one system that is better than everyone else. So, i'm just gonna play Oblivion on my 360, whatever Rockstar makes for the PS3, and zelda on the revolution. It's like saying which car is better, automatic or stick shift.

Erdrick Holmes
11-25-2005, 12:22 AM
The PS3 only has one good game for it so far. MGS4, everything else is either all flash and no substance... or a racing game.

Destai
11-25-2005, 12:28 AM
The PS3 only has one good game for it so far. MGS4, everything else is either all flash and no substance... or a racing game.
Seeing as itll be a year before its released its doing pretty well so far.

MecaKane
11-25-2005, 12:34 AM
How many Xbox 360 games have "substance"?
Even by your standards one game with substance on a system that hasn't even come out yet is better than none on one already out.

Samuraid
11-25-2005, 02:57 AM
I may sound bias but Playstation did bring gaming to a new demention.

Funny typo btw. :rolleyes2

Channing
11-25-2005, 03:03 AM
I plan on waiting for the Playstation3. I saw the hype for XBOX 360. I watch MTV quite frequently and their programs have been delicately destroyed with XBOX ads now. Not to mention an entire week dedicated to gaming on their show. And celebrities with fake smiles promoting the product they truely don't enjoy.

I've always been a Sony person myself but one Christmas I decided to get an XBOX. Rather late I'd say but just in time for Halo II. I was disappointed. The graphics are good but I just found nothing interesting about paying tons of money for useless add-on's. Ever since then I've stopped buying things for it altogether. It just sits in my closet tucked away in it's little box.

I'll be happy when the PS3 delivers. I'm disappointed Bill Gates made a pathetic attempt to make a system. Backed by a sh*t faced space shooter as it's legacy.

crashNUMBERS
11-25-2005, 03:16 AM
Joel, joel, joel.....Joel. What can I say?? Let's see. Tekken 6, Final Fantasy VII: Tech Demo, Final Fantasy XIII, and many other games will be impressive in the PS3 generation...

Funny typo btw. :rolleyes2
What's even funnier is that I wrote it like that on purpose because I didn't know how to spell it. So it isn't a typo at all... =D

Erdrick Holmes
11-25-2005, 03:46 AM
Tekken= OLD
New Final Fantasy= *yawn*
FF7 Tech demo=... tech demo

There has GOT to be something new and innovative other than something that's just a freaking flashy show.

MecaKane
11-25-2005, 03:59 AM
Joel, what's so new and innovative about some of the the Xbox 360's games? Since, you know, it's not a year away from its release date.

lordblazer
11-25-2005, 04:10 AM
Oh but the Nintendo is a japanese company aswell. Think about that...

You're a good girl

I may sound bias but Playstation did bring gaming to a new demension. Think about. NES was revolutionary, 'cause it really brought the feel of gaming. Snes had some of the best games in time, along with some of the best RPGs. Then there is the playstation. If you look at it correctly and see the same vision through my dense eyes you'll see that the original PlayStation had the most best games of any gender. Get what Im sayin'??
i like how people quote one little part of my comment but not the whole message. we know nintendo is a japaneese company. Which is why stupid japano reaks always like sony and nintendo over microsoft.

Anyway Yu yevon man you are way off.. Since when did Japan have a larger population than USA? LEave it to Canada...Canada sucks!!! lol jking jking.

but Japan does have a larger population than Canada lol.

Erdrick Holmes
11-25-2005, 04:10 AM
Let's see, small fry. Free live built in, reattachable harddrives, wireless controllers (yes, 360 got that before the PS3) a controller that DOESN'T look like Picasso threw up all over it, built in High Definition, 12.1 (I think, don't quote me on that number) dolby, and games that PLAY good (except for some exceptions).

lordblazer
11-25-2005, 04:12 AM
I plan on waiting for the Playstation3. I saw the hype for XBOX 360. I watch MTV quite frequently and their programs have been delicately destroyed with XBOX ads now. Not to mention an entire week dedicated to gaming on their show. And celebrities with fake smiles promoting the product they truely don't enjoy.

I've always been a Sony person myself but one Christmas I decided to get an XBOX. Rather late I'd say but just in time for Halo II. I was disappointed. The graphics are good but I just found nothing interesting about paying tons of money for useless add-on's. Ever since then I've stopped buying things for it altogether. It just sits in my closet tucked away in it's little box.

I'll be happy when the PS3 delivers. I'm disappointed Bill Gates made a pathetic attempt to make a system. Backed by a sh*t faced space shooter as it's legacy.

yeah once oyu play ?Halo 2 you played all the games xbox has o offer right? Halo 2 aint /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif to tell you the truth and it isn't even the best FPS game released for the xbox.

MecaKane
11-25-2005, 04:15 AM
Joel, what's so new and innovative about some of the the Xbox 360's games? Since, you know, it's not a year away from its release date.

Do you even know who Picasso is? Long end points (GASP! :eek: ) is more of a bad sculpture than a bad painting.

PS2 had a removable harddrive, and free online games.

Erdrick Holmes
11-25-2005, 04:26 AM
A memory card is not a harddrive.

And yes, I freaking know who Picasso is, look at the PS3 controller. While curvey looking it's aweful looking.

EDIT: Actually, the 360 might actually have something to put a nail in its own coffin. Rememberh ow the Sega Saturn failed because it had two processors so developers didn;'t bother making many games for it because it was hard to make games with it's processors. The 360 has 3. Plus I think the PS3 has multiple processors. I suppose Nintendo gets my money now.

lordblazer
11-25-2005, 07:45 AM

And yes, I freaking know who Picasso is, look at the PS3 controller. While curvey looking it's aweful looking.

EDIT: Actually, the 360 might actually have something to put a nail in its own coffin. Rememberh ow the Sega Saturn failed because it had two processors so developers didn;'t bother making many games for it because it was hard to make games with it's processors. The 360 has 3. Plus I think the PS3 has multiple processors. I suppose Nintendo gets my money now.
but most of the software developing companies develop PC games so it shouldn't be a problem for them to develop games for the xbox 360 if they can make a PC game that is always over demanding in hardware upgrades.

Vyk
11-25-2005, 08:38 AM
I bought the original X-Box solely for the first KOTOR game. To me that was worth the price right there. Then KOTOR 2 blew that away. They're the only two games I really recognize in my X-Box collection (which is admittedly small). Halo isn't the only thing Microsoft has going for it. But I'm not going to jump into a console war. As stated, it's all about personal preference. I've played all of Nintendo's games before. Some people seem to like lather, rinse, repeat. But what I really want to get it is that comment about 3 processors. I can assume Team Ninja will then stay loyal to Microsoft because of something like that. I remember a recent interview with the guy behind DOA said his favorite system is still the Sega Saturn. Which I assume is why the Saturn got DOA first. He said he'd actually like to still develop games for it if he could. Either way, I'm most interested to see what BioWare is up to. And they've boarded Microsoft. So I guess that's where I'll be. Gears of War and Ninety Nine Nights have also picked at my curiosity. I'm also interested in what MistWalker is doing, and they're with Microsoft too right now. PS3 isn't making me curious. But if I'd get a second system, it'd probably be that. Its just I skipped MGS3 and kinda doubt I missed anything. MGS4 doesn't really matter to me. And Killzone doesn't cut it right now. That seems to be pretty much all there is. But time will tell.

DMKA
11-25-2005, 08:54 AM
That article is idiotic. It's like saying "Don't buy the Nintendo Revolution because it doesn't have Halo".

Destai
11-25-2005, 11:20 AM
Holy crap, did I just read an xbox fanboy critiscizing the PS3 for having an awful controller? Hahhahahahahahah

Anyway no matter what you say the PS3 isnt even out yet and it still seems to be in the lead.

Tekken= OLD
FF7 Tech demo=... tech demoI thought I'd mention to you that through the entire lifespan of the Xbox it hasnt produced one game I want to play.They all suck pretty hard. And if you want new and innovative you could always play Ico/shadow of the colossus on the PS2 or some random game for the Gamecube. But if new and innovative is what you're looking for Xbox isnt the place to go.

crashNUMBERS
11-25-2005, 02:46 PM
Tekken= OLD
FF7 Tech demo=... tech demo

There has GOT to be something new and innovative other than something that's just a freaking flashy show.
I'd hate if there would be a new Mortal Kombat. They have to quit. Tekken may be old but it's actually succesful. MK? No...

JaytodaP
11-25-2005, 03:38 PM
I've said this before and I'll stick by this: Nintendo WILL ALWAYS Find a way into your wallet or try to screw you over." For the Revolution, you gotta buy attatchments for it over and over again. PLUS you have THE SAME EXACT GAMES OVER AND OVER AGAIN. For example, pretty much every game on Gamecube that nintendo created is just a minor upgrade from its original. I don't want to play Mario Party 10- 50,000. I don't want to play Super Mario 128. I want a game that actually has a rating other than E most of the time. That controller will piss me off so incredibly much. And nobody say "wht about lejend of zelda LOOOLLLL!!!!!1111one" cause, I already got five of them and will be getting the new one on gamecube. I plan on getting an Xbox 360 cause I like every game on it other than PGR3, I can change the soundtrack and use it as a mini computer. A PS3 is a maybe right now. I heard it will cost $500 and it doesn't have too many games I will enjoy. But, maybe I will pick one up, throw it on ebay, and watch the money flow into my pocket. Maybe I'm being bias about completly hating the Revolution but I don't really care, cause this is what I think.

edczxcvbnm
11-25-2005, 04:03 PM
Perfect Dark sucks but Call Of Duty owns you lol

Seriously though screw japan. I hate how Sony and Nintendo conduct business. Mainly Sony. I noticed for the PS2 that they crapped out some crappy RPG "playab;e anime" game every week.

While Xbox crapped out Morrowind and Fable but didn't get credit for /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif because Morrowind is "too intimidating for an RPG."

Microsoft doesnt have nothing but FPS they just make the most on the console. They have plenty of other gaming genre's.

Anyway have you played Oblivion yet? Man I wanna get it so badly.

Anyway most gamers and fanboys think

"If it ain't from Japan it ain't worth my time."

Call of Duty rocks on the PC but it was not so awesome on the 360. There has yet to be a really stellar RPG for the PS2 but the XBox isn't doing much better. Morrowind put me to sleep. I don't really like running around this realistically huge world. The world itself is fake but not the size. It reminded me of running around in wind waker...didn't like that game either.

I have yet to play fable. You are right...microsoft does have more than FPS games...they also have 3rd person shooters(Max Payne, Splinter Cell) and Sports games. Then they have the occasional action game like Mech Assult or Ninja Gaiden. There are others here and there but I covered 99.4% of the XBox library.

I have not played Oblivion yet. I know of it and have seen plenty of screens. It just doesn't look interesting to me...yet.

Rye
11-25-2005, 04:18 PM
I tried the 360 at Target today, it was pretty cool. Not that I'm gonna get one, but the graphics were amazing. I was playing the demo to Call of Duty, or something like that. :)

ljkkjlcm9
11-25-2005, 04:58 PM
Nintendo never screws people over in their wallet. As I've said in other threads, anytime there came a game that needed some extra thing, like DK64 needed the expansion pak.... it came with the game. Starfox 64 came with the rumble pak. Pokemon stadium came with the transfer pak. Nintendo doesn't screw people over in their wallets, they're by far the cheapest. And by how this is looking, the Revolution will start 200 dollars cheaper than the 360 or PS3. AND, it comes with one of the attachments when you buy the system. Nintendo definitely doesn't screw over their customers monetarily.

As for the 360, i just hate how Bill Gates is like, anything involving computers or technology, I WANT TO OWN. It just pisses me off. I mean I remember hearing awhile back he was gonna try to BUY nintendo. So annoying....

THE JACKEL

crashNUMBERS
11-25-2005, 05:19 PM
I tried the 360 at Target today, it was pretty cool. Not that I'm gonna get one, but the graphics were amazing. I was playing the demo to Call of Duty, or something like that. :)
Tell me, Rye. Did it feel, rather, let's say, [I]Akward??

Sephex
11-25-2005, 05:28 PM
Like ed said, the controller is the only thing they have done right so far. I didn't care for the original X-Box when it first came out, but I eventually got one. If the X-Box360 gets some interesting sofware, I'll end up owning that too sometime.

crashNUMBERS
11-25-2005, 05:37 PM
Hmm... Because I didn't read the whole thread, does Ed have a 360?? And though the PS3 may not have the controller right, it still might be good...

Fithos
11-25-2005, 05:39 PM
When i lpayed the call of duty demo, it was pretty cool looking. But that was the hardest time i have ever had controlling a game. sesitivity suck, buttons were awkward, gameplay skipped. it wasnt worth the graphics to play such a hard to controll game.

Also, i know it was already stated but nintendo is the cheapest. for those of us who dont have $400-$600 to spend on a system it is very nice. Especilly when compared to the ps3 whom i heard was going to be selling games somewhere between $65-$100 per game.

Finaly for all you who think nintendo puts out nothing but kiddy games. Its because the kiddy games are the only ones they advertise. But as for the others i never saw anything kiddy about resident evil, or gun, Or timesplitters 2. just because the only games you ever hear about are kiddy, dosnt mean thats all they put out.

MecaKane
11-25-2005, 05:45 PM
what's so new and innovative about some of the the Xbox 360's games? Since, you know, it's not a year away from its release date.
No one has mentioned any new and innovative games the XBox 360 has.

Not a memory card! (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00012TIWS/104-3704368-7104706?v=glance) :eek:

And Saturn failed because it had two GRAPHICS processors a 2D and a 3D one. Not multiple general computing whatever processors that even the Revolution is sure to have if it is to be any sort of competition for PS3 and 360.

Maxico
11-25-2005, 05:46 PM
or gun, Or timesplitters 2.

Because Timesplitters and Gun are totally Developed and published by Nintendo.

EDIT:

The PS2 had 2 processors. It didn't exactly fail. Although it was notoriously difficult to program for.

The PS3 on the other hand has 7, that may make things a little difficult but I doubt it will affect much. The industry is rather different now than it was then.

ljkkjlcm9
11-25-2005, 06:02 PM
Because Timesplitters and Gun are totally Developed and published by Nintendo.

Microsoft doesn't produce ANY of it's own games. It's all 3rd or second parties.

And games like, Fire Emblem aren't exactly childish games, yeah they're not rated M, but it's not something a child could pick up and understand.

THE JACKEL

Maxico
11-25-2005, 06:28 PM
Microsoft doesn't produce ANY of it's own games. It's all 3rd or second parties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Game_Studios

ljkkjlcm9
11-25-2005, 08:02 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Game_Studios

right like I said, second and third parties. Bungie is a second party, and Rare is a second party too I suppose because Microsoft bought them.

Don't say their first parties, that'd be like saying Retro Studies is a first party of Nintendo, they're not.

THE JACKEL

Maxico
11-25-2005, 09:06 PM
right like I said, second and third parties. Bungie is a second party, and Rare is a second party too I suppose because Microsoft bought them.

Don't say their first parties, that'd be like saying Retro Studies is a first party of Nintendo, they're not.

THE JACKAL

A Retro Studios are a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo they are in fact a first party developer.

Vyk
11-25-2005, 10:25 PM
Just to point out, that link has the listed Developers for games that Microsoft only published for. The ones that have no developer listed were made in-house. It says on the page. Dunno how much more "first party" you can get :D

lordblazer
11-25-2005, 10:46 PM
Call of Duty rocks on the PC but it was not so awesome on the 360. There has yet to be a really stellar RPG for the PS2 but the XBox isn't doing much better. Morrowind put me to sleep. I don't really like running around this realistically huge world. The world itself is fake but not the size. It reminded me of running around in wind waker...didn't like that game either.

I have yet to play fable. You are right...microsoft does have more than FPS games...they also have 3rd person shooters(Max Payne, Splinter Cell) and Sports games. Then they have the occasional action game like Mech Assult or Ninja Gaiden. There are others here and there but I covered 99.4% of the XBox library.

I have not played Oblivion yet. I know of it and have seen plenty of screens. It just doesn't look interesting to me...yet.

WEllt he fact that morrowind is more than running around in a realisticly huge world. There are over thousands of mini quest free lancing quest. You can join a guild or a greathouse faction and work your way to the top and you can also do the vampire quest those were my favorites. There are almost an unlimited amount of dungeons to explore. HAve you even beaten the main storyline of Morrowind,Tribunual, and Bloodmoon? Let alone do anything except run around. Have you seen morrowind's awesome magic system. The various amounts of armor and class and race variations. And the weapons and summons and everything else. You haven'tlayed morrowind if all you can come up with is a huge realistic world oyu walk around in... The fact that you fell asleep jsut means it isn't your kind of game, but none the less XBOX DID COME OUT WITH A AWESOME AND BREATHE TAKING RPG!!!

You just couldn't get into. Only took me 2 hours and I was hooked.Did oyu even know how to lvl? man you suck at game eh?

edczxcvbnm
11-25-2005, 11:19 PM
I like KoToR and Jade Empire(less of an RPG). I just don't like insanely huge worlds to run around in. Diablo was better anyways...I feel I have played both games long enough to make that conclusion(a few hours each) before I quit out of boredom. I get a lot of both of those game and I understand how the systems work. It is the same reason I don't like MMO RPGs or MUDS. I feel there is this immense lack of purpose.

HIK248
11-26-2005, 11:51 AM
Apparently XBOX360 suffers from some stability problems,al least its current version

There have been several postings over at Xbox-scene complaining of crashing Xbox's on new games, with default settings on single player. Crashes on Xbox Live and on startup have been reported too, and Project Gotham Racing 3 crashes before finishing the first lap. Screenshots and Video are available showing the crash."

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/11/23/138200&threshold=4&tid=128&tid=211&tid=10

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=23998032

Yew-Yevon
11-26-2005, 01:45 PM
that cant be good for MC

Tifa's Real Lover(really
11-26-2005, 03:04 PM
What we heard: As was the case in the days following the launch of the PSP, reports have begun to surface about problems with the Xbox 360 hardware. Some people complained of games freezing. Some complained of systems overheating. Some complained of hard drives not working. Some complained of disk drives that scratched games.

glad i didnt get one

Skyblade
11-26-2005, 10:28 PM
While I don't really like the way this article was presented (the lack of particular games, such as Legend of Zelda and Metroid, should have been combined into a single point), it does make some valid points.

I disagree with the comment they made on HD games. I don't think HD will go away, I think it will become a new standard. It will eventually stop being called HD because every TV and computer will incorporate it automatically.

However, I see very little that would prompt me to buy a 360. There is no unique point that the system has in its favor (because I really don't care about the HD graphics anywhere near as much as I care about the gameplay, characters, storyline, quality...). The X-Box had almost no quality games that you couldn't find on other systems, and I doubt that will change with the 360. The Playstation, on the other hand, has a firm hold on the FF series, which is reason enough to buy it right there, and Nintendo has a hold on all of its classics, such as Fire Emblem, Metroid, Legend of Zelda, Mario... Unless Microsoft gets some a larger number of good games that aren't released for the other systems, I see no reason to spend $300-$400 on a 360.

Erdrick Holmes
11-26-2005, 10:37 PM
And Saturn failed because it had two GRAPHICS processors a 2D and a 3D one. Not multiple general computing whatever processors that even the Revolution is sure to have if it is to be any sort of competition for PS3 and 360.

That's what I just said. no name-calling please.-kikimm Saturn had two processors, one for 2D and one for 3D. Reguardless whether I said they were 2D or 3D they were still TWO PROCESSORS. Read before you post next time.

Holy crap, did I just read an xbox fanboy critiscizing the PS3 for having an awful controller? Hahhahahahahahah

The Xbox controller did suck (except the the 360's) but at least it doesn't look like one of Louie Anderson's kidney stones.

MecaKane
11-27-2005, 04:13 AM
Graphics processors are different from straight-out processors. Pentium and AMD make processors, AGP and Nvidia make GPUs. The Xbox 360 does not have 3 different graphics processors, so it won't be hard to program games for it like Saturn was, so the 360 and PS3's, flopping or notting has nothing to do with its multiple processors.

Ultima Kadaj
11-27-2005, 04:27 AM
I saw the XBOX 360, and there are some things that t think are cool and some that i think are stupid:

The controller is waaayyyyy better than it used to be, having more of a broken in feeling that the PS series has always had.

The thing is beautiful, i mean, it is a peice of art, but ZOMG you can change the front, YAY!!! I think its stupid, you can put a non damaging sticker on a PS2 and XBOX and get a better effect than the front different.

Well... ummmm... thats about all that immediately comes to mind, thanks for the new controller, i will definately do the XBOX 360 after the PS3.

Also, i don't know if it was this is because its so early or jut the first games come out like this, but do you think that Call of Duty 2 is still slightly off on the graphics? I mean, i've seen Full Auto (which is the only reason i want it) its absolutely beautiful, but i played a demo and it wasnt all out amazing (maybe that was because i saw Full-Auto on there and i couldnt play it) but you tell me what you think.

Gnostic Yevon
11-27-2005, 04:30 AM
I think it all comes down to what the player wants.

If you like Sports, FPS, and racing games, you'll like 360. If you absolutely must have great online play, you want 360. Not to say that there won't be other types of games, but there weren't that many on xbox, and I don't see many more on 360.

If you like quirky titles and retro-oldskool games (down to 8 bit), then you want Revolution, esp. if you don't care about online or graphics.

If you want a large library and don't need online, ps3 is the best choice. And probably a must have for jrpgs (DQ, FF, Suikoden) and other games usually made by Japanese companies. Also a good choice if you already have a large ps/ps2 library as you'll be able to pop in your old ps1 FF7 and it will still work in ps3 (SOL if you only have xbox360 or Revolution, no system is compatable with games made for other systems).

For me anyway, my choice is made pretty much for me -- I want to play my old ps1/ps2 games as well as the new ones without needing two systems. Online gaming doesn't excite me (usually you get in with morons who can't say anything other than "Fuck !!!" on the headset), plus there are monthly fees for the privellege (I don't want to pay to play a game I already own). plus because I'm fairly interested in jrpgs (and some strategy games), I'd want a system that would have those type of games on them. That ain't XBOX.

Trumpet Thief
11-27-2005, 04:35 AM
Albedo: About the 360's screwing up, it's been all over the news over 'ere in Toronto. Hell, there was this college kid in tears, as he saved up $500 just to buy it. Hah, what a fool. *laughs maniacally*

Trowa: *sits and stares and sits and stares*

lordblazer
11-27-2005, 04:36 AM
I like KoToR and Jade Empire(less of an RPG). I just don't like insanely huge worlds to run around in. Diablo was better anyways...I feel I have played both games long enough to make that conclusion(a few hours each) before I quit out of boredom. I get a lot of both of those game and I understand how the systems work. It is the same reason I don't like MMO RPGs or MUDS. I feel there is this immense lack of purpose.
Morrowind doesnt have a lack of purpose. It just ain't linear and you have to forge your purpose on that game. Its like the real world.

Azure Chrysanthemum
11-27-2005, 07:00 AM
I generally prefer lists that aren't so inherently biased, be they intentionally ironic/sarcastic or not.

In any event, I'm probably going to pick up a Revolution at some point, but that will be long after I've purchased a PS2. I have no real desire to purchase an Xbox 360, but if they make some decent games, I might do it.

And just for fun, I'll go over the main reason why. This is based on the assumption that the systems will follow basically the same trend of game releases, although I admit that the numbers might be inflated with the next generation release I expect them to follow the same pattern.

Number of Gamecube games I own:

Number of Playstation 1 games I own:

Number of Playstation 2 games I own:

Number of Xbox games I would theoretically own:
2 or so

And for the record,

Number of Xbox 360 games I would theoretically own:

Destai
11-27-2005, 05:57 PM
The Xbox controller did suck (except the the 360's) but at least it doesn't look like one of Louie Anderson's kidney stones.The biggest problem with the PS3 controller is that its curved. The Xbox controller actually had genuine problems. Ones a lot worse than the other.

Chzn8r
11-27-2005, 06:01 PM
The original fat Xbox controller had problems. It's obvious that it sucked. The small revision of it, that became the standard, is easily superior to the dual-shock and on par with the GC controller in terms of comfort/ergonomics. I can't imagine playing Ninja Gaiden with anything besides an Xbox controller-S.

Erdrick Holmes
11-27-2005, 06:04 PM
Not only is it curved, the sheer dimensions of it would make my gigantic hands hurt. That and the Dpad still is the same lousy design as the PS1/2's dpad. If y ou play a game that requires alot of fast movement with the Dpad you'll tear up your thumb.

Destai
11-27-2005, 06:10 PM
Not only is it curved, the sheer dimensions of it would make my gigantic hands hurt. That and the Dpad still is the same lousy design as the PS1/2's dpad. If y ou play a game that requires alot of fast movement with the Dpad you'll tear up your thumb.eh heh, no. It wont. And the d-pad is perfect. They dont need to fix something thats not broken. The layout has no real flaws or problems as its simple and effective so Sonys using theyre brains and keeping it that way.

Skyblade
11-27-2005, 06:13 PM
eh heh, no. It wont. And the d-pad is perfect. They dont need to fix something thats not broken. The layout has no real flaws or problems as its simple and effective so Sonys using theyre brains and keeping it that way.

Perfect for you, perhaps. Not necessarily perfect for others.

Erdrick Holmes
11-27-2005, 06:13 PM
eh heh, no. It wont. And the d-pad is perfect. They dont need to fix something thats not broken. The layout has no real flaws or problems as its simple and effective so Sonys using theyre brains and keeping it that way.

Play agame that requires you to press directions on the dpad numourous times for a good hour or two. Your thumb (and probably your whole hand) will hurt. That's why my PS2 has 3rd party controllers with full Plus Shaped Dpads, not this stupid little 4 different buttons Dpad.

Destai
11-27-2005, 06:20 PM
Play agame that requires you to press directions on the dpad numourous times for a good hour or two. Your thumb (and probably your whole hand) will hurt. That's why my PS2 has 3rd party controllers with full Plus Shaped Dpads, not this stupid little 4 different buttons Dpad.You mean when the directions are one overall button? I've seen plenty of PS2 controllers with that adapted into them if thats what you're talking about. And I dont think its a big deal.

Erdrick Holmes
11-27-2005, 07:13 PM
No no no, I mean all of the buttons, not just one direction for long periods of time. Like a fighting game, or an action game like Devil May Cry.

Destai
11-27-2005, 07:22 PM
Alright, think I get what you mean but the playstations dpad is practically gone out of use in most games on the PS2 now with the analog controller. In most games it just gets used for camera angles. And even in games where I have needed to use it, it hasnt bothered me at all. My hand would be in as much pain as it would be in for hammering any buttons for an hour or so.

MecaKane
11-27-2005, 09:28 PM
I've used the d-pad a lot for Resident Evil Code Veronica, holding down foreward/up while shifting my thumb to left or right buttons has never caused me any pain. Someone needs to get thicker skin, I guess.

Erdrick Holmes
11-27-2005, 10:38 PM
I've used the d-pad a lot for Resident Evil Code Veronica, holding down foreward/up while shifting my thumb to left or right buttons has never caused me any pain. Someone needs to get thicker skin, I guess.

I said fast games where you need to press directions on the dpad in all different directions. Take a game like Devil May Cry where you need to be quick with the dpad and you gotta press the dpad really fast to move around, dodge enemy attacks and such. A fighting game (use Dpads on these, not thumbsticks, trust me) can really chew up your thumb. I was playing Guilty Gear X for awhile with that and I devloped a huge blister on my thumb, then I got a third party controller with a plus shaped dpad and it never happened again.

Maxico
11-27-2005, 10:42 PM
Probably because you have thin, pasty, malnourished skin.

I've never had any joypad related finger injuries. But that may be due to having strange, padded fingers.

theundeadhero
11-28-2005, 11:01 AM
What can be so revolutionary about a controller? They fit in your hand, then have buttons you push. Is it because it's wireless? Hell, that's about as revolutionary as the NES, considering it also has wireless controllers.

Lionx
11-28-2005, 11:54 AM
Well before the NES, there was no real predefined controller, the goal of a controller is to make sure you can fluidly make decisions and have it acted out as easily as possible on screen. The NES defined it by having basic buttons, and the revolutionary : D-pad.

Then came the SNES which is the one to use shoulder buttons, and that worked out well along with the button scheme in which Sony obviously copied and improved a little on bit by bit.

The controller today has to fit a wide variety of games without you having to buy a seperate assessory to play the game. It doesnt have to be perfect, but it has to be versitle enough and Nintendo did make one that fits just about every game. The controller defines what the game is able to be made on a console IMO, try playing a fighting game that is not Smash bros on the GC controller like Capcom vs SNK 2...its maddening..the Xbox is similiar, but not as bad, but definetly not as good as the PS2's layout as i had trouble with it too(doesnt beat joystick for many dont get me wrong). Now try playing FPS on a SNES or NES controller..its much harder to do than say Xbox's controller or with a Mouse.

Therefore i feel Revolution's controller IS revolutionary....no controller really had the limelight of being the default controller that looks like this(most if there are any, are probably gimmicks like the Super Scope of the Power Glove). However does it mean its effective? Thats unknown at this point...however it DOES have potential...Nintendo just has to show it, and try to prove that a wide variety of games can be played on it the same way as the other controllers.

Well it gone off track a bit but i think i got my point accross...controllers matter a whole ton, thats why Sony doesnt change theirs alot beside's its shape from their PS ones that they copied from Nintendo, it freaking works for almost all games. I hate hard to press buttons, i hate wierd controller sticks smoothness in motions, and i hate those that break easily >_>; Like most third parties.

Maxico
11-28-2005, 07:19 PM
Well before the NES, there was no real predefined controller, the goal of a controller is to make sure you can fluidly make decisions and have it acted out as easily as possible on screen. The NES defined it by having basic buttons, and the revolutionary : D-pad.

I hope you're not implying that Nintendo INVENTED or were the first to use a D-pad because they were not. (Neither were they the first to use an Analouge stick on a home console)

Then came the SNES which is the one to use shoulder buttons, and that worked out well along with the button scheme in which Sony obviously copied and improved a little on bit by bit.

Now I wouldn't say copied. Nintendo broke off a deal that basicaly left them with a very advanced SNES. I doubt they would have been able to get the funding to start the controller over again from scratch.

The controller today has to fit a wide variety of games without you having to buy a seperate assessory to play the game. It doesnt have to be perfect, but it has to be versitle enough and Nintendo did make one that fits just about every game.

But Nintendo have already said that their controller for the revolution will need add ons to play all the games. And have even shown the analouge stick as an example. It seems like that goes against your idea of an Ideal controller.

Therefore i feel Revolution's controller IS revolutionary....no controller really had the limelight of being the default controller that looks like this(most if there are any, are probably gimmicks like the Super Scope of the Power Glove). However does it mean its effective? Thats unknown at this point...however it DOES have potential...Nintendo just has to show it, and try to prove that a wide variety of games can be played on it the same way as the other controllers.

It may work in the long run but it seems far from revolutionary to me. All I see is an updated lightgun in a Remote controls shell. Like many of Nintendo's, aparantly, innovative idea it's just an updated version of a rivals less successful product.

Lionx
11-28-2005, 09:40 PM
Well you cant really say D-pad wasnt revolutionary, it was the only home system that used it right with the button layout. I mean i seen some pretty wierd controllers for some old systems before.

Now I wouldn't say copied. Nintendo broke off a deal that basicaly left them with a very advanced SNES. I doubt they would have been able to get the funding to start the controller over again from scratch.

I would.

But Nintendo have already said that their controller for the revolution will need add ons to play all the games. And have even shown the analouge stick as an example. It seems like that goes against your idea of an Ideal controller.

Sorry i wasnt being clear, i meant the SNES one when i was talking to this. The SNES format i felt set a standard for most controllers today, most have at least some format similar to it with shoulder buttons and the button scheme(although the GC did sorta go against that..O_o). Revolution yeah its alot different, i would think they might or should include a normal GC controller for its back. And i like to read about the add-ons.

It may work in the long run but it seems far from revolutionary to me. All I see is an updated lightgun in a Remote controls shell. Like many of Nintendo's, aparantly, innovative idea it's just an updated version of a rivals less successful product.

And Eye Toy was super..? Its in the same boat, i feel it can either make a huge leap forward, or crash flat. Depends on how they do it, the DS isnt that great at first, but its alot better now than (i feel anyway) PSP in terms of innovation. Not everything can work out, but it beats doing the same thing over and over like Xbox, and try something else to push the industry forward.

ljkkjlcm9
11-28-2005, 09:44 PM

It does not work anywhere near the same way as a light gun. In fact, if you still have your light gun, put in your duck hunt game, and plug in your gun. Get a white piece of paper, Shoot the paper even if it's away from the TV, and you'll hit the duck everytime.

The new controller is actually read in 3-D space and can tell where it is. This is revolutionary. And yeah it has add ons but as I have said a billion times before, first off the analog stick comes with the system when you get it, and the other add ons will undoubtedly be included with the game you need them for. There's no real problem with these expansions, it works well if you ask me. The controller is revolutionary, reading it in 3 space. It's not even close to a light gun, and you obviously don't understand the technology if you think it is.

THE JACKEL

Elite Lord Sigma
11-28-2005, 10:24 PM
It always goes that Sony fanboys say the Xbox 360 and Revolution suck, the Microsoft fanboys say the PlayStation 3 and Revolution suck, and the Nintendo fanboys say the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 suck. Basically the first major rules of fanboys, only with different systems and companies depending on the time period. If you don't understand this concept, you don't belong on this thread.

Anyway, I haven't seen the PS3 much, so I'm not sure if I want it yet, I'm 70% sure I want a 360, and I'm 168.42% sure that I want a Revolution.

lordblazer
11-28-2005, 10:45 PM
It always goes that Sony fanboys say the Xbox 360 and Revolution suck, the Microsoft fanboys say the PlayStation 3 and Revolution suck, and the Nintendo fanboys say the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 suck. Basically the first major rules of fanboys, only with different systems and companies depending on the time period. If you don't understand this concept, you don't belong on this thread.

Anyway, I haven't seen the PS3 much, so I'm not sure if I want it yet, I'm 70% sure I want a 360, and I'm 168.42% sure that I want a Revolution.
The fanboy concept is rubbish in my opinion.

ljkkjlcm9
11-28-2005, 11:11 PM
The fanboy concept is rubbish in my opinion.
I agree, I prefer Nintendo, but I don't hate Sony, I do hate microsoft though, but that's because they're trying to own all technology and dominate it.

THE JACKEL

Samuraid
11-28-2005, 11:24 PM
I agree, I prefer Nintendo, but I don't hate Sony, I do hate microsoft though, but that's because they're trying to own all technology and dominate it.

THE JACKAL

What company doesn't dream of doing such things?

JaytodaP
11-29-2005, 01:49 AM
And yeah it has add ons but as I have said a billion times before, first off the analog stick comes with the system when you get it, and the other add ons will undoubtedly be included with the game you need them for. There's no real problem with these expansions, it works well if you ask me. The controller is revolutionary, reading it in 3 space. It's not even close to a light gun, and you obviously don't understand the technology if you think it is.

THE JACKAL

Just one problem, What if I don't want Donkey Kong 1,000,000 to have a smacking pad thingy or whatever pathetic thing nintendo will include with it? I still dont like the I dea of buying attactchments. Attatchments should come with the system, Like the Xbox 360 for example, you rake in 250 bucks worth of attatchments for only 100 dollars. On playstation, the only thing you need to buy is a memory card, and maybe a network adaptor, but that came with the skinny one if I'm correct, the original Xbox came with a built in hard drive so all you needed was a game and a controller. I hate you NINTENDO!!! BTW i didnt like the GC control, I need the pad for fighting games, but look where the pad is!

ljkkjlcm9
11-29-2005, 02:16 AM
Just one problem, What if I don't want Donkey Kong 1,000,000 to have a smacking pad thingy or whatever pathetic thing nintendo will include with it? I still dont like the I dea of buying attactchments. Attatchments should come with the system, Like the Xbox 360 for example, you rake in 250 bucks worth of attatchments for only 100 dollars. On playstation, the only thing you need to buy is a memory card, and maybe a network adaptor, but that came with the skinny one if I'm correct, the original Xbox came with a built in hard drive so all you needed was a game and a controller. I hate you NINTENDO!!! BTW i didnt like the GC control, I need the pad for fighting games, but look where the pad is!

then chances are it's not a game you'd want in the first place, I never got Donkey Konga cause I didn't want it. AND, the main attachment the games will use DOES come with the system, in fact it comes with any controller you buy, the control stick or nunchuck style.

THE JACKEL

DMKA
11-29-2005, 06:58 PM
Hell, that's about as revolutionary as the NES, considering it also has wireless controllers.
What?

theundeadhero
11-30-2005, 01:06 PM
With that phrase I was talking about the XBox wireless controllers. Yes, the NES had wireless controllers.