PDA

View Full Version : Beating Dholmagus

Erdrick Holmes
11-24-2005, 12:46 AM
Exactly how do I beat Dholmagus? He kills off my whole party in a few hits.

My party is:

Hero lv 26
Yangus Lv 25
Jessica Lv 23
Angelo lv 24

RSL
11-24-2005, 02:55 AM
Did you mistype those levels? You said you were light years ahead of me in this game yet you are only 4 levels ahead of me? That can't be possible...

Also, I can't help you as I'm not nearly that far yet.

Erdrick Holmes
11-24-2005, 03:32 AM
Your probably not that far behind me RSL. What part are you on?

EDIT: Does anybody also know where I can find a snakeskin whip? I need it for the Alchemy Pot.

RSL
11-24-2005, 03:52 AM
I'm finding a magical harp in a mole cave so I can get this old ship moving.

Erdrick Holmes
11-24-2005, 03:58 AM
Jeez, maybe I did speed through this a bit. I quite a bit ahead of you then.

RSL
11-24-2005, 04:02 AM
Yeah, I don't know how you got so far with your levels... My hero is at level 22 and I'm not breezing through it by any means.

Ishin Ookami
11-24-2005, 05:21 AM
snakeskin whip is made by combining a leather whip with a scale shield.

As for dhoulmagus, I think I was around level 28-29 when I beat him. Psyche up your party to level fifty (he has an attack which neutralizes any abnormal stats, so its likely you wont have the time to reach psyche level 100) then use mass attacks, hero using a boomerang, angus using his axe group attack, and jessica using a whip all at psyche level 50 should take out the two dopplegangers and leave you to focus your efforts on the real dhoulmagus. use angelo's multi-heal ability to take care of any sever group related damage, and just have him use his most powerful single attack every round you dont need healing. For the second form of dhoulmagus, I was pretty low on magic points for angelo by that point after fighting my way through the dungeon and using him as the primary healer, so I didnt even bother using psyche up, I just hit him with all the powerful attacks, and had yangus using skull splitter to bring down his defence every round.

Thats how I beat him. It also helps if you are equipped with all the powerful equipment. Go beat up on sea dragons for their dragon scales and combine them with armor to get some really cool stuff. Beat level c at the monstour collosium to get saints ashes, and combine that with the zombie armor to get a really powerful set of armor as well.

Erdrick Holmes
11-24-2005, 05:59 AM
I see, what's the most powerful boomerang weapon in the game?

And what level does Angelo learn Mumti-heal?

Ishin Ookami
11-24-2005, 05:50 PM
Angelo learns multi-heal somewhere around level 28-30. Its pretty much a must have when fighting dhoulmagus, because if you dont that means the hero has to heal along with angelo every round. Dhoulmagus has alot of powerful group attacks and without multi-heal your offence is pretty much cut in half.

Get the boomerang sold at the bazzar in arcadia, pick up some silver mail and combine it with two dragons scales for some dragon mail for yangus. If you beat level C at the monstor collosium, you'll get saint ashes, and mixing that with the zombie mail found on dhoulmagus's island will give you some REALLY buff armor for the hero. Also mixing two dragon scales with a steel shield will give you a dragon shield, more buff armor. Also mix two dragon scales with a snakeskin whip to make a dragon tail, too give jessica a bit more... Oomph in her offence. If you've been buffing up her whip stats, she should have a two hit whip attack that when equipped with a dragon tail should deal around 100 points of damage all told. Go too the southern desert, there is an inn there where you can pick up a powerful sword for angelo, that will put enemies to sleep. Plus in that desert there are three very powerful monsters you can recruit for your team at the monstor collossium, including a bone rider who can attack twice per round, and has around 500 hp.

Other then that, just level up. Thing about dragon quest is you gotta take your time and move slowly, beat up on monsters and always make sure you have the most powerful equipment you can. In Final Fantasy its a luxury, in DQ it's a neccessity to be as powerful as you can. What I do is whenever Im waiting for the alchemy pot to do its thing, I'll do a tour of duty in whatever place has the most powerful monsters, that way Im sure to get experiencea and gold. Also hang out at trodain castle, there is a certain breed of metel slime there that will give you 10,000 (nope, thats not a typo) xp if you defeat it.

Erdrick Holmes
11-25-2005, 12:21 AM
Where is the Monster Collesium?

Ishin Ookami
11-25-2005, 08:14 AM
Where is the Monster Collesium?

:eek:

Okay, its in a forest east of pickham. Look on the world map and it should be dead center of a forest that is surrounded by a clearing. Go there and try to enter, you wont be able to get in and then you will see some guy dressed in tights standing at the top. Go up and speak to him, he will ignore you at first. When you walk away he will start talking and give you an assignment, to find three monsters. The place is now on your zoom list as morries place. One of the monsters he asks you too find is to the west of Reds lair, one is right in front of trodain castle, and the other is on the path from the abbey to the ruined abbey. Find all three and he will let you into his pad which is actually a collosium where monsters battle. Now whenever you find one of those uber powerful monsters roaming the map, you can defeat them and recruit them for your team. I reccommend the axeraptor hanging around the first town you visited, the bone rider in the desert, and the skeleton hanging around dholmagus's island for his healing ability. But as you move up in the ranks you can recruit more monsters for your reserves.

Oh by the way, you can try to fight with the initial three beasts he asks you to find, but even he states that the three beasts wont get past the first fight, much less make it too S rank.

Erdrick Holmes
11-25-2005, 03:54 PM
I found that guy days ago. I killed the slime monster but I can't find the other two.

Ishin Ookami
11-25-2005, 08:13 PM
Well, that note he gives you practically tells you where the knight is, you either fought him or passed him by on your way too the ruined abbey. You really cannot miss him since there is only one way there and he is literally standing right on the path.

the kalimari is found on the beach thats west of reds hideout. just head for the waters and walk along the beach until you find him. he was a pushover the first time I passed by there, and considering the level your at now you should be able to take him down with one strike.

RSL
11-27-2005, 06:34 PM
So where do I find sea dragons to get dragon scales? And do they drop them only rarely?

EDIT: Okay, I found where sea dragons are, but I've yet to get a dragon scale. I don't know if this is worth it.

Black Mage
11-28-2005, 06:29 PM
Dhoulmagus is definitely a pain.

When I had gotten to him, I was in the 26-24 level range. I took a couple of hours to level, though only reaching 28-26. I just kept at it, and eventually beat him.

Also, Angelo learns Multi-Heal at level 30.

Not much help, I know, but you really just have to stick with it, or bite the bullet and fight to level up.

RSL
11-28-2005, 11:45 PM
Yeah, I'm at that point now and a random battle on the way there killed me. I'm gonna have to level up, but now I'm finding it hard to get motivated to play the game knowing that's all I'll be doing.

Ishin Ookami
11-29-2005, 05:15 AM
you have too pace yourself in this game, move slow enough that you create the best equipment possible, make it a point to explore every nook and cranney of every area for XP, Money, and treasure. tour area's with metel slimes while waiting for the alchemy pot to be done. Final Fantasy has always been the easier franchise, with equipment in battles being more important then levels traditionally, as well as having some overpowered spells and techniques to quicken the pace. DQ relies more on pacing, tactics, and a bit of luck. Move too fast, without the proper levels and equipment, and you end up in your situation where you have to spend the time you didnt spend prior levelling up, except you have too do it all at once.

Oh yah, and make sure that if any of your characters get down to less then half their hp, heal. trust me considering some of the numbers of monsters you can run into in this game, its neccessary.