PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Private Messages

Strider
11-24-2005, 07:04 AM
Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough, but is there a way to move from PM to PM without having to double back to the Inbox? If there isn't, why not?

Primus Inter Pares
11-24-2005, 07:17 AM
Use firefox, that's the best way.

Just open a tab for each PM and you should be sorted.

Shlup
11-24-2005, 07:18 AM
Firefox tabs = sex

Nasarian Altimeros
11-24-2005, 07:37 AM
Firefox sucks :D

Old Manus
11-24-2005, 07:54 AM
Use IE, that's the best way.

Just open a window for each PM and you should be sorted.

Vyk
11-24-2005, 09:18 AM
I was about to say, it's the same concept. Just less stuff on your taskbar with FireFox.

Denmark
11-24-2005, 02:02 PM
As an actual answer to the question, no. You're not missing it. Unless I'm also missing it from quickly looking at it. Which I don't think I am. Design flaw.

And now, on the real discussion, I have used both browsers and have no preference. Although I would have to say that the tabs do give Firefox the slight advantage.

EDIT: yes, this is a change for me in terms of browser preference. I can change!

MecaKane
11-24-2005, 02:03 PM
The middle mouse button doesn't automatically open new windows in ie, either, if you got a lot of pms that's a lot of right-click, left-clicking!
It's also cleaner, closing a tab will take you to the next tab that's already in the same window position as the last one, which isn't always the case with windows. :eek:

crashNUMBERS
11-24-2005, 02:10 PM
Firefox sucks :D
IE sucks ass...

rubah
11-24-2005, 04:50 PM
This is not a browser war thread, crash, as it should be obvious that firefox is superior.

Yeah, like denffe said, it's a poorly designed inbox:O Although how many people use the 'previous/next thread' option reading the forums?

crono_logical
11-24-2005, 05:02 PM
In the case of the previous/next thread buttons, I think they're pointless, since the order of the threads could change easily as people post :p

Oh, and firefox has a plugin that lets us measure sig dimensions very quickly and easily :D

crashNUMBERS
11-24-2005, 05:27 PM
as it should be obvious that firefox is superior.
Thank you <B>r</B>ubah...

[edit- fixed capitalization error -rubah]

Del Murder
11-24-2005, 05:58 PM
Pms are a pain to navigate. So there's no way to make Strider's suggestion possible?

Yamaneko
11-24-2005, 06:07 PM
The problem with having "next" or "previous" links in PMs is that PM IDs are sporadic. You might have ID 12567 and 12568 for one set of PMs, but your next one might be 13156. You'd have to query the DB into looking for the users next PM ID.

Psychotic
11-24-2005, 06:28 PM
I like to think that most of the people who are convinced that Firefox is superior to IE are saying it because it's cool and underground to do so. Yeah guys, you fight the Microsoft man! (I use Firefox on one computer and IE on the other, and IE is clearly superior, in case you cared)

As for the problem at hand...why is this even a problem? Is it so labourious to click the back button?

rubah
11-24-2005, 06:31 PM
If you've gotten any new PMs in the interim, you'd have to refresh as well.

It's not quite so much as an anti MS thing, pssy, as I like Microsoft's outlook express very quite. It's more like an anti MS!annoying programs :D

Del Murder
11-24-2005, 06:43 PM
I want the ability to search pms, mainly. That would be very helpful. Sometimes I am looking for a specific message and I have to go though them one at a time before I find it.

Psychotic
11-24-2005, 06:43 PM
Oh no, refresh it too!? Gosh, moving the cursor an inch or so and then clicking again. Enough is enough!

What? IE isn't annoying. Next you'll be saying the paper clip isn't a god in animated form.

I want the ability to delete every PM I own in one simple click. :)

Yamaneko
11-24-2005, 06:53 PM
Keep living in your IE fantasy world, Psychotic. Maybe someday we'll be able to unjack you from the IE machine.

eestlinc
11-24-2005, 07:14 PM
I want the ability to search pms, mainly. That would be very helpful. Sometimes I am looking for a specific message and I have to go though them one at a time before I find it.
god yes I want that. I guess you can download them all into a databse or something.

Miriel
11-24-2005, 07:28 PM
Pms are a pain to navigate. So there's no way to make Strider's suggestion possible?

I'm downloading Firefox onto your computer the next time I'm at your house. Whether you like it or not.

crashNUMBERS
11-24-2005, 10:22 PM
[edit- fixed capitalization error -rubah]
That was the point!!

eestlinc
11-24-2005, 10:33 PM
Firefox doesn't make PM navigation any less of a pain.

Miriel
11-24-2005, 10:44 PM
Sure it does.

-N-
11-24-2005, 11:55 PM
No it doesn't.

Primus Inter Pares
11-25-2005, 01:00 AM
I still don't get why this wasn't closed after my first reply.

Old Manus
11-25-2005, 08:00 AM
The staff can't resist a browser war

IE rulz0rz by the way, even though I use firefox

Resha
11-25-2005, 03:10 PM
I want the ability to delete every PM I own in one simple click. :)
You can do that, can't you? :confused:

IE wins. :p FIREFOX JAMS AND HAMS AND ARGH. (I'm so sorry Wubah, your attempts to convert me from this 'heathenism' failed...:()

eestlinc
11-25-2005, 03:34 PM
Sure it does.
It does to the extent that it makes everything less of a pain, I guess.

Loony BoB
11-25-2005, 04:57 PM
Being one of the people with the most PMs, I've never had a problem with navigating from one PM to another. It's not rocket science. Go back! You guys must lose sleep over some pretty weird things.

Murd: Just do what I do - download all PMs as a text file, but don't save it. Just open the text file from the web, then search for what you're looking for. Takes seconds.

The only thing I feel is really missing is the ability to sort PMs by username.

Del Murder
11-25-2005, 06:23 PM
That is a good idea, I will try it.

RSL
11-25-2005, 07:10 PM
The only thing I feel is really missing is the ability to sort PMs by username.

Now that would be awesome.

Yeah, I have 7277 PMs right now. I don't really have any problems getting around.

Yamaneko
11-25-2005, 07:32 PM
Why would you need to go back and look for old PMs?

Del Murder
11-25-2005, 07:53 PM
Reference. For example, Nicky wanted me to resend a message I sent to her last month because it contained important information and she deleted it.

RSL
11-25-2005, 08:02 PM
Yeah. I've made a folder for everyone I've ever received a PM for. It helps, if you need to find a message from someone, you only have to look through that folder. However, if you receive a lot of PMs, it is fairly time consuming to do this. That's where Loony BoB's idea of sorting by username would come in handy.

Loony BoB
11-26-2005, 12:09 AM
Yeah. RSL (I think) & I both currently sort all PMs into folders, each folder for the user who sent it. This means we can search easier by username, but now we're cutting ourselves out on the time-slot front, if we ever forget who sent some PM to us and need to refer back to it by date. It also means it's a struggle to find our earlist PMs. Being able to simply sort PMs would make that all a lot easier, as you could just choose how you'd like to sort in order to check something, much like you can in forums.

Of course, all this talk won't do much, as to my knowledge there isn't a way to get this done without hacking the place up, and I'm not keen on that idea at all. If I found it annoying enough I'd probably have posted about it at vB already. But I don't, so I haven't. There are more important things I feel they should look into and I'll just hope they concentrate on those things.