PDA

View Full Version : Last Night's Lost (Channel 4)

Ashen-Shugar
11-24-2005, 11:42 AM
Hey can anyone tell me what that Chinese guy was chatting about half the time in last night's Lost on Channel 4. When they do no subtitles that wrecks my head.

Dreddz
11-24-2005, 08:09 PM
if it was on purpose, we dont have to know ........
So theres nothing your missing out on ...

Lindy
11-24-2005, 08:11 PM
*Korean guy.

Do you even watch the show?

Miriel
11-24-2005, 08:33 PM
*Korean guy.

Do you even watch the show?

Seriously. It's expounded very clearly and multiple times that Jin is Korean.

Ashen-Shugar
11-29-2005, 02:34 PM
soz, the korean guy. maybe if you spent more time actually answering questions than correcting people... i wrote chinese 'cos i thought it'd be handier for people who don't watch the show much

Itsunari 2000
11-29-2005, 05:23 PM
No idea. I do not speak Korean.

MecaKane
11-29-2005, 05:41 PM
Jin gets no subtitles on the island unless he's talking to Sun because she's is the only one who knows what he's saying and she'll translate for other people. If it was a flashback that didn't have subtitles call up channel 4 and yell at them because they took them out.

Miriel
11-29-2005, 05:51 PM
soz, the korean guy. maybe if you spent more time actually answering questions than correcting people... i wrote chinese 'cos i thought it'd be handier for people who don't watch the show much

Yes because two completely different cultures and languages isn't worth the trouble to distinguish between. And how exactly is it "handier" for people to think Jin is Chinese rather than Korean?

Most of the time when Jin is speaking Korean and it's not translated, he's saying things like, "are you alright?" or "let's hurry" or other little things like that that aren't exactly central to the storyline and don't need to be translated.

Cuchulainn
11-29-2005, 06:14 PM
I tend to agree with the topic starter here. Yes he made a mistake, but replying just to be a spiteful pretentious twat & offer no help is pathetic.

On the topic, I'm sure if it was important to the plot there would have been subtitles, otherwise, just portraying his anger is enough.

Lindy
11-29-2005, 06:49 PM
Isn't there a hefty quantity of irony if you're complaining about people correcting someone, then insulting them for it, being exactly what you're calling them. Oh, and look up your dictionary, "pretentious" has no use here, I'm sure it sounding nice makes you feel good though, doesn't it?

The fact that not realising he's fairly obviously Korean shows that you're clearly not paying enough attention to it anyway, and if you're not paying enough attention, then you'll miss the entire point of it anyway.

Yamaneko
11-29-2005, 06:51 PM
Congratulations on blowing this out of proportion. Now get back on topic or I'm going to pretend I actually care and close this thread.

Btw, I get it on channel 7. :)

Miriel
11-30-2005, 08:29 PM
I like how I can always count on Lindy to post whatever caustic remark that I was too lazy to post on my own. :up:

As for the topic, whenever my friends and I would have Lost watching parties, I'd always be the one to translate Jin's lines. I'm so helpful and handy like that.

In season one, he was saying some pretty funny stuff about the other Lostaways. Especially with Michael when they were building the raft. :D

Lindy
11-30-2005, 08:35 PM
So what did he say to Hurley when Hurley was trying to catch fish? Or the part where Hurley got stung by an urchin?

I've always wondered what Jin's reaction to Hurley screaming at him was.

Rye
11-30-2005, 08:53 PM
I like how I can always count on Lindy to post whatever caustic remark that I was too lazy to post on my own. :up:

And same here with the Urchin thing. Jin looked pretty freaked out by it, but who wouldn't if a guy was trying to get you to pee on them, it'd be cool to know what he said.

Miriel
11-30-2005, 09:26 PM
So what did he say to Hurley when Hurley was trying to catch fish? Or the part where Hurley got stung by an urchin?

I've always wondered what Jin's reaction to Hurley screaming at him was.

This is the translation for that part of the show:

Hurley asks Jin to help him catch some fish:
Jin : I don’t play with amateurs. Just go away.
Hurley : Dude, you said something nasty didn't you?

Then later when Hurley steps on a sea urchin:
Jin: What happened?
Hurley: Stepped on a friggin' urchin. Ow! You understand me?
Jin: Let's move you over here.
Hurley: You understand infection? Gangrene?! Amputation?!
Jin: Sit over here.
Hurley: Ow! You gotta do something for me.
Jin: We've got to pull this out.
Hurley: You have to pee on my foot, man. It'll stop the venom. I saw it on TV and... DUDE! Ahh! Just pee on it, man. You need to pee. Pee on it!
Jin: What the hell are you doing? No, you idiot!
Hurley: Pee on my foot. I'll lose.... just do it. I'll lose my foot if you don't.
Hurley: JUST PEE! PEE ON IT!
Jin: NO! NO!

Lindy
12-01-2005, 12:04 AM
I love you, please translate my babies.

Rye
12-01-2005, 12:09 AM
xD Wow, and here I thought Jin was always saying generally nice things. Thanks!

Miriel
12-01-2005, 12:36 AM
Daniel Dae Kim's accent the first season was actually horrible. So a lot of the times I didn't even know what he was saying. My parents listened to it once and were convinced that he was disgracing the language. But he's gotten much better since then. To the point where he actually sounds Korean. And Sun of course is flawless. Beautiful woman, she is.