PDA

View Full Version : Desktops vs. Laptops

Clouded Sky
11-24-2005, 09:39 PM
Ok, so I figure all of you here must be semi computer literate seeing as you're all here. So, let's play post your computer stats and technical gargly-gook. Also perhaps if you have a preference for Laptops or Desktops.

The computer I use the most is actually an older Sony Vaio Desktop:

PIII
766 mHz
Two 20 GB hard drives
CD-Burner (8x)
DVD-Drive (These drives are seperate.)
I'm not really sure what the graphics card it, but it's nothing special.
Big ridiculously huge 17" monitor that weighs like 4 tons.

What are you running on? And if you have a laptop, would you reccomend it for somone on a budget (i.e. getting ready for college) and someone who wants to play games (i.e. me)?

Luara
11-24-2005, 09:42 PM
I like computers but I dont understand them XD

The Summoner of Leviathan
11-24-2005, 09:44 PM
I like both of them, though the computer back at home is faster so I get slightly annoyed by my laptop when it slows down. *shrugs* All I know is that I loathe dial-up!

VampireCrono
11-24-2005, 09:51 PM
showing my full comp specs takes too much effort;]. desktops are far better gaming computers for any genre. anyone else who says anything otherwise has no clue what they're saying;]

Shoeberto
11-24-2005, 09:56 PM
Desktops are easier to customize, so like VC said, they're much better for gaming. I choose desktops.

Yamaneko
11-24-2005, 10:05 PM
The only reason to have a desktop is for gaming and any professional type of photo, video, or audio editing work. Otherwise, laptops are powerful enough for most other tasks and you can get them dirt cheap now. Most even have video out so you can hook them up to a larger monitor when you're at home.

I prefer desktops, but I'm planning on getting a laptop as my next setup. I'll post my specs a little later.

Dreddz
11-24-2005, 10:50 PM
I use my laptop most, cause my desktop is a Mac, and its cold in my study
I can be in bed while on the lappy ......

Miriel
11-24-2005, 10:51 PM
I use my laptop 90% of the time and I love it cause it's so convenient to carry around to classes and everything.

But it makes playing FFXI a real pain. And whenever I have too many projects opened up in Photoshop or Illustrator, the thing freezes up on me. I think I need a new laptop.

rubah
11-24-2005, 10:55 PM
I like using my mom's laptop because then I dont' have to bother my computer with opening cd drives, but when I'm using *just* her laptop, it's irritating.

Pointless
11-24-2005, 11:05 PM
My laptop is my baby, so I'm biased.

fantasyjunkie
11-24-2005, 11:17 PM
I actually prefer laptops but I'm a gamer so I use desktops. I am currently using a clone made AMD 1.8 256 LE geoforce card, 1 gig of ram, $200 17" LCD monitor. Some ppl say you need an expensive LCD monitor to run FPS games but my cheap LCD runs half life 2 just fine. Also, I took out my old power supply and replaced it with a new one, which is a lot harder to do with a laptop, even if it is possible at all. but if I did have $5000 i would get one of those Falcons or alienware laptops. but for us ppl who have to pinch pennies gaming on a desktop is the way to go.

Channing
11-24-2005, 11:26 PM
I am probably getting a desktop soon but for now I've been using a Dell Inspiron | 5100.

Dingo Jellybean
11-25-2005, 12:41 AM
Thankfully I don't play any games, but because of lack of money I stuck with a cheaper desktop.

My next computer will be a laptop, as most of what I do is just typing documents and surfing the web with minimal (if any) video streaming and downloads. I tend to be a minimalist when it comes to material things, so I would prefer laptops.

escobert
11-25-2005, 01:29 AM
Right now I'm on my laptop which is what I use 99.9% of the time. As long as I can play games and be on the internet I don't care what it is.

Giga Guess
11-25-2005, 01:33 AM
Desktop. Harder to steal.

Samuraid
11-25-2005, 02:59 AM
Desktop for the win.

Truthfully it depends on what you use and need. Some people needs their laptops while others need their desktops.

Blitz Ace
11-25-2005, 03:09 AM
Desktop... although sometimes i wish i had a laptop so i could play games during boring uni lectures... but desktops are faster!!! mine is Pentium IV, 3.4 GHz, 1GB RAM, 200GB Harddrive... which i am in the process of filling.

Rye
11-25-2005, 07:08 PM
I prefer desktops, but I want a laptop too. :)

RSL
11-25-2005, 07:13 PM
I've never liked laptops much.

Epiphany
11-25-2005, 07:21 PM
I've both a laptop and a desktop.
Laptops are good for uni/college, but they're seriously lacking in the games department because vid cards aren't modable. So unless you get something like an Alienware, which aren't cheap, and certainly not that great in other aspects OTHER than gaming I wouldn't reccommend one.
However, desktops aren't very practical for school purposes because you can't lug them around in nifty little cases.

crono_logical
11-25-2005, 07:36 PM
I'm using a laptop right now :p Portability = yay :D I'm also picking up too many external devices too, including USB mouse and modem, and 3 firewire HDs and firewire DVD±RW DL drive, and sometimes a monitor too. Since I don't game much, and what CPU intensive stuff I do use my laptop can handle anyway, I use my desktop as a server/router instead.

What they really need to do is make a desktop with similar power specs as a laptop and start using batteries in them, essentially providing all PCs with built-in UPSs :monster: