11-25-2005, 01:07 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4380332.stm

Sad day for football.

MJN SEIFER
11-25-2005, 02:22 PM
:crying:

Odaisé Gaelach
11-25-2005, 02:39 PM
It's horrible how alcohol can bring down someone like George Best... maybe it's a warning to us all...

DK
11-25-2005, 04:00 PM
It's sad, because the man was undeniably one of the most talented sportsmen of all time, and one of, if not the best footballers of all time. However, it's hard to feel sympathy for the man when he did this entirely to himself. It's a shame for his close family, though.

Dreddz
11-25-2005, 04:45 PM
He was all over the Metro this morning ( london morning newspaper )
Sad, even sadder when it said he had only hours to live .......

Crop
11-25-2005, 05:16 PM
He was a great man. R.I.P

Wuggly Blight
11-25-2005, 05:22 PM
I dont feel sympathy for the man who did it to himself, loved ones perhaps.

Wuggly Blight
11-25-2005, 06:40 PM
He didnt even play that long either.

Crop
11-25-2005, 08:36 PM
He was a great player, one of the best. I know he did it to himself, twice! But at a time like this I preffer to remember him in his prime.

Psychotic
11-25-2005, 08:42 PM
I wouldn't call his life a waste. Why not? Because he did everything he wanted to and enjoyed every second of it. That's not a waste from his perspective, and who are we to judge if he didn't live up to whatever potential we assigned to him? I say fair play to him. A footballing genius and an iconic figure.

Burtsplurt
11-25-2005, 09:26 PM
Yeah, he did it to himself, which makes him an idiot... but, he was still a person, and one with an extraordinary gift. He gave a lot of people a lot of pleasure - surely that means something.

RIP.

MJN SEIFER
11-25-2005, 10:15 PM
FGS!! It doesn't matter that he did it to himself all that matters is HE'S DEAD and this thread should be for respecting him and showing the saddness of his death, NOT people saying "It was All his fault anyway!"

Another note; Most people who have died this way have simply balmed various things (Their "crap" lives, the fact that people always give up on them etc) other than them selves, he didn't he fully acepted what he had done - that's very admirable behvior for somone who "Drank to death".

Big D
11-26-2005, 04:47 AM
I'm going to delete all the irrelevant posts from this thread. If you don't like someone, why bother posting in their obituary thread just to abuse them? It's even worse when people hijack this kind of topic just to hurl insults at one another.

George Best didn't mean much to me, and I can't approve of chronic alcoholism and its devastating effects, but any unnecessary and untimely death is a sad thing. He was a prominent football star for a siginficant time, and for that reason he meant a lot to a considerable number of people. Whatever the circumstances of his death, his passing has removed someone who had a great deal of influence in one way or another.