PDA

View Full Version : Screen Protectors, are they worth it?

Tidus Andronicus
11-25-2005, 03:07 PM
I just got a new Electric Blue DS... and cause of Black Friday, it came with a $20 carrying case that came with lots of little things. (game holders, styli, screenprotectors, headphones, ect...)

Anyway, my question is, are screen protectors worth it? Whats your experiance, with any similar device?

I've heard they are good for keeping the touch screen working for a long time, and they keep away evil scratches... lol...
But I've also heard that they lower accuracy on the DS touch screen... =/ (hope thats not true, or at least not enough to matter)

I'm generally good with my handhelds, but I can't prevent accedents... and I want that touch screen to live a long time. XD

omnitarian
11-25-2005, 03:50 PM
It depends on the type of screen protector. If it's one of those "sticky" ones, then don't use them! They'll leave a bunch of sticky gunk on your touch screen.

Any other type of screen protector is fine to use. If you're worried about accuracy, try the game once with and without the screen protector to see if you notice a difference. Personally, I don't think screen protectors are really all that necesarry unless you're playing a very... vigorous game (Meteos and Ouendan are the only games that come to mind).

Tidus Andronicus
11-25-2005, 03:54 PM
Its hard to tell, but I think this screen protector looks like its just got a little stick in the 4 corners.

And considering these came with a package that has a "Nintendo Seal of Quality" or whatever on it... XD I would be a little more trusting of it... than normal. XD

Still, I hope the stick thing doesn't do more damage than it saves... cause I'll just not use it then. =/

Dreddz
11-25-2005, 05:36 PM
screen protecters, what would i know.......

Maxico
11-25-2005, 05:52 PM
Screen Projecters would kick so much ass if If they didnt need so much wall space. But it would seem that it would be an awesome way to play games. But I guess you shouldnt expect such great quality.
But the thought of tilting the projecter on its side so you can play FFVII on the ceiling while laying back in bed. Sounds like paradise ....

Oh, ho ho.

Tidus Andronicus
11-25-2005, 06:34 PM
O_o.... WTF....

umm your not serious right? U do know I said Protectors... not Projectors... XD

Dreddz
11-25-2005, 06:52 PM
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, now i look slighty silly/stupid/weird, well, one shall have to edit his post ........

Tidus Andronicus
11-25-2005, 07:41 PM
Lol, I'm actually feeling pretty dumb right now... I HATE screen protectors... I dont really even know why i tryed it this time... it looked terrible, the protector itself had scratches on it... and you could see the sticky part blurring the screen.... so I took it off... luckly, very little damage was caused... maybe a micro scratch... XD the sticky stuff came off with a cotton cloth... and it looks just fine now, can't find anything wrong... although... I can't tell if my screen looks messed up now... O_o... I hope its not just me... I had a DS before but I cna't remmeber what it looked like...

Does anyone else notice the very hard to see, smaller than pixels, flaws in the screen that fill the whole screen... I'm sure i couldn't have done it to it... and I think all touch screens are like that... XD its kind of like if the screen was wet just a little, cept its not, you can see a micro color blur or something... like I said, its hard to tell what it is... comparing it to the top screen isn't fair at all XD... I need another DS to compare too XD

I always get all worried/paranoid like this when I make a mistake with a new piece of hardware... @_@
Luckly, for the most part... my DS is still like new, no scratches, no sticky spots... removing the thing was easy... it just looked like crap when it was on, blurred the screen a little... I'll just be careful with my DS from now on. =P

fantasyjunkie
11-26-2005, 12:10 AM
Ive had my DS for a year now, but unfortunatly due to the lack of games on the market until just now I havent really had a chance to consider a screen protector. but now that animal crossing DS is out...:D
on a more serious note, I use a static cling screen protecter I paid $5 for my PSP. Best $5 I ever spent in my life.If it gets dirty, i just pull it off and wipe it with a cloth and it clings back on to the PSP screen.

Dreddz
11-26-2005, 12:42 AM
screen protecters are a wasted buy In My opinion .....

Tidus Andronicus
11-26-2005, 03:31 AM
I might get a static one... if I could find one... XD that seems like it would be perfect!... although... it might not work on the touch screen, since the touch screen isn't as smooth as the top, or PSP screen... there are micro bumps in it... which actually I think help protect against scratches anyway...

and as I said... I trust Nintendo enough, to make good touch screens... that probably dont need to be protected XD.

omnitarian
11-26-2005, 03:51 AM
Does anyone else notice the very hard to see, smaller than pixels, flaws in the screen that fill the whole screen... I'm sure i couldn't have done it to it... and I think all touch screens are like that... XD its kind of like if the screen was wet just a little, cept its not, you can see a micro color blur or something... like I said, its hard to tell what it is... comparing it to the top screen isn't fair at all XD... I need another DS to compare too XD

Don't worry about it. The bottom DS screen tends to collect a very thin film of dirt and dust, and it can make the touch screen look slightly grainy or fuzzy. (As a side note, when you use the styuls a lot, it may look like your touch screen is scratched, but it's really just grooves you've made in the dirt layer. Just wipe your screen with your shirt or something, and the "scratches" will dissapear.)

Additionally, many DS touch screens have a "grid of dots" that serves some sort of purpose, and those will be visible under some circumstances.