PDA

View Full Version : Wireless conection

disapointedchild
11-26-2005, 11:27 PM
Okay I am having a lot of trouble setting up a wireless connection.
I just recently got a laptop, and am trying to put a wireless internet connection between my main computer and it. One of my first problems is, whenever I connect my dsl box's ethernet cable to my wireless router, then my router back to my computer via cable, I cant even access the internet on my computer. I had it working a while ago, then it just stopped, and I have rewired it all, and it still doesnt work.

And another question is, once I do get this whole thing set up, do I need something for my laptop, to connect wirelessly to my router, or are these things already built in?

rubah
11-26-2005, 11:41 PM
You need your outside line going into your modem, an ethernet cable connecting your modem to your router inthe special ethernet plug, not the others. Another cable should connect the router to a computer. You might have to use another ethernet, or you might could connect it with a USB cable.

Now, if you'll remember to always boot them up Modem-> Router-> wait a few minutes Computer, you should have intarwebz access to the main computer. If you turn your computer on before the modem and router are ready, intarwebz will not work.

Now, for your laptop, you'll need a wireless access card. These fit in a little slot on the side of your laptop. If you have a desktop you want to connect wirelessly, you can buy a usb version of the access card.

They ought to come with instructions and any software needed to run them, but odds are that if you're running windows XP it might do it on its own.

disapointedchild
11-27-2005, 12:01 AM
Is it possible for a laptop to already have a wireless card built in? My laptop has "Integrated 802.11g/b wireless", is that what I need?
And my connection through the router still doesnt want to work, still doesnt want to work, even with the directions you gave me.

Yamaneko
11-27-2005, 12:21 AM
Yes, that's what you need. Make sure your router doesn't have WEP or WPA enabled. You might try resetting it. There's usually a small reset button that can be found at the bottom of the router. Push it down with the tip of a pencil or something pointy and hold it down for half a minute or so. Also, some laptops have a dedicated wifi button that turns on or off the integrated wifi receiver. Try looking for it.

What router do you have?

disapointedchild
11-27-2005, 01:02 AM
The router is a DI-airplus G 802.11g/2.4GHz Wireless router.
I will try resetting it.
When I reset it, should the router be on or off? Or does it matter?

I got it to work, does my main computer have to stay on, in order for me to use the connection?
My Modem?
My Router?

Nevermind. It seems as though, it only works for a little bit, then, it just quits.

Samuraid
11-27-2005, 10:47 PM
The router and modem need to stay on, but none of the computers need to be on for the connection to be maintained.