PDA

View Full Version : Email clients.

-N-
11-27-2005, 12:26 AM
Discuss what mail program you prefer to use and why. In particular, I am interested to hear who uses webmail over a POP client. I use both Gmail and Thunderbird, and the clunkiness of Thunderbird sometimes makes me consider switching entirely to web-based mail like Gmail. I still stick with Thunderbird because it stores all my mail on my hard-drive, which is nice to access when I am not connected to the Internet, but when was the last time that ever happened? Anyways, thoughts.

rubah
11-27-2005, 12:26 AM
I never could get used to thunderbird, so I'm still using outlook express.

I remember trying to use eudora back in the day, because I didn't know what my email client was and that was the only name I remembered.

Resha
11-27-2005, 12:35 AM
I use Hotmail and Gmail and Yahoo Mail. Hotmail stinks, my inbox always gets spammed up and it's always full to the brim because they offer you a minuscule amount of space.

Gmail is nice. :) But it gets a little confusing at times with so many emails.

Yahoo is okay.

Alive-Cat
11-27-2005, 12:38 AM
I just use hotmail.

Yamaneko
11-27-2005, 12:40 AM
I use gmail's webmail. I access my email from various places, so I really didn't see a need to download my emails. I'm happy with gmail's spam filter and email filter.

HybridFan
11-27-2005, 04:13 AM
I like Thunderbird, it is quite daunting at first but not compared to Opera's built in pop client. The filters work a treat in Thunderbird.

Xaven
11-27-2005, 04:20 AM
I never use any web-based e-mail other than Yahoo!. I'm interesting in getting Outlook Express going, but I'm too lazy. I've signed up for a hotmail account which I rarely ever check. I use it when signing up for stuff that I don't want e-mails from.

Shoeberto
11-27-2005, 04:26 AM
Thunderbird, because one of my e-mail accounts is POP only, but Gmail is good.

Dr Unne
11-27-2005, 06:06 AM
I prefer Gmail via web interface. Sometimes Squirrelmail running on my server. To access certain accounts I don't want crapping up my Gmail, I use Mail.app in OS X. I've used Evolution in Linux at times, it's better than most. In college we used Pine, but it wasn't for POP3, it was for IMAP. If I'm in need of a very fast glance at email on a server, I use fetchmail in Linux. At work I'm forced to use Outlook. I stay far away from Thunderbird. I would not wish Outlook Express upon my worst enemy.

Channing
11-27-2005, 06:11 AM
I use the email provided by my ISP. Bellsouth.net.
I've yet to have any problems with it. The spam protection is exceptional and the viral protection is great.

Rase
11-27-2005, 06:29 AM
I use Yahoo because, well, I always have and I love tradition.

escobert
11-27-2005, 06:42 AM
I use EoFF mail :p

kikimm
11-27-2005, 06:48 AM
Hotmail, Yahoo, and Gmail.

Gmail's just for EoFF stuff, yahoo is for offline people business and I have no idea why I still have hotmail.

The Summoner of Leviathan
11-27-2005, 06:49 AM
I have Hotmail, AIM mail, Yahoo!, EoFF, and one from my University...

I use my Hotmail mainly...then my University one...then the others are never used..

Reles
11-27-2005, 08:09 AM
Hotmail, but then again, no one ever emails me except for one person. Oh and that's how I get mail from my teachers telling me what my grades are and whatnot or when LJ reminds me that someone commented. My mom tried getting outlook express to work, but it kept messing up our computer everytime she tried to do something on it, so I set her up with a hotmail account.

Shlup
11-27-2005, 08:29 AM
I just use my Yahoo Mail. Gmail needs to catch up.

Jess
11-27-2005, 12:31 PM
I use hotmail most of the time, and regarding my website, I use Squirrelmail.

Craig
11-27-2005, 12:40 PM
Hotmail.

Rusty
11-27-2005, 01:14 PM
I use Incredimail. My hotmail mail comes through it, so I never have to visit the hotmail homepage. My westnet mail comes through it as well.

Loony BoB
11-27-2005, 02:05 PM
I use Yahoo!, and have used Hotmail and Gmail for other people on various occasions, as well as Outlook and Lotus Notes for other people and myself when at work. Outlook is far, far more user-friendly while Lotus Notes is pretty much only useful for security and it's databases.

Yahoo! is far, far better than Hotmail and Gmail. Shlup was right in that Gmail needs to catch up. I've tried to help people using Gmail but found that the features I thought they'd have, they didn't. I think folders was one of them, too. I mean, come on. Folders. That's as basic as it comes. Hotmail is just too overdone. Cluttered. And way too many ads etc. I subscribe to Y!Mail to get rid of ads and for other various reasons, but even before I did that, it was far better than Hotmail's overdone style. When I use Yahoo!, I feel like I'm using an email site. When I use Hotmail, I feel like I'm using a site that offers email accounts.

I also have an EoFF account, but it diverts directly to my Y!Mail because I'm awesome.

Skogs
11-27-2005, 04:21 PM
I use my university's webmail for important and personal e-mails. My hotmail account is my 'sacrificial lamb' account, which I will give to parties likely to make me vulnerable to spam.

Levian
11-27-2005, 04:47 PM
Hotmail for me plz. Goes hand in hand with MSN, which is what everyone in Norway uses.

Jimmch939
11-27-2005, 05:00 PM
I just use yahoo.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
11-27-2005, 07:17 PM
Gmail. I find it simple to operate and not overwhelming like Yahoo and Hotmail. And you have to remember that Gmail is still a rather young email service, so it doesnt have as much, which is why it is still exclusive.

Dignified Pauper
11-27-2005, 07:18 PM
i use yahoo and osu.edu

Loony BoB
11-27-2005, 07:23 PM
Gmail. I find it simple to operate and not overwhelming like Yahoo and Hotmail. And you have to remember that Gmail is still a rather young email service, so it doesnt have as much, which is why it is still exclusive.
You do realise that Gmail's layout is basically a ripoff of Yahoo!, right? How can Gmail not be overwhelming, but Yahoo be overwhelming?

rubah
11-27-2005, 07:26 PM
It's still exclusive?

Not if you ask. 100 permanent invites is a bit much.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
11-27-2005, 09:13 PM
how is gmail a ripoff of yahoo?

KoShiatar
11-27-2005, 09:48 PM
I don't use any mail program. That because I don't have all of that mail anyway and I won't risk saving viruses to my computer. I have a mail account on Hotmail (but it stinks. Hotmail is the citadel of spam mail ) and one on Yahoo. Yahoo is much better, I have to say. It is simple to use, has a great capacity and you can send big attachments.

eestlinc
11-27-2005, 09:57 PM
I use Netscape mail at work, and it's nice. For personal email I just use gmail and sometimes hotmail (which sucks but its tradition).

Apollo
11-27-2005, 11:38 PM
Just Hotmail.

fire_of_avalon
11-28-2005, 02:00 AM
I use Gmail and email.unc.edu, for personal activities and school activities respectively. I prefer Gmail over everything else I've ever used because I can file everything neatly away and nothing ever gets lost once I put it someplace. Also, I find it's much easier to navigate than anything else I've used.

My school email is absolutely awful. It only displays fifteen emails at a time, and the folder option takes you through several different pages before you can even access any of your personal folders. I hate it.

EDIT: Also, when I want to compose a mail or reply to a mail, it pops up the composition page in a new window which is SO annoying.