PDA

View Full Version : Golden Sun VS. Golden Sun: TLA

Cruise Control
11-27-2005, 12:27 AM
I myself prefer The Lost Age, because of the dual-party mechanic and side-quests.

Dreddz
11-27-2005, 12:40 AM
TLA is better
Even though ive only played a second of it, and a micro second of the original ......

Skyblade
11-27-2005, 12:56 AM
TLA has an advantage over the original in terms of gameplay and size, mostly due to the tweaks made when they saw what worked in the original and how to improve it in the sequel, and the storyline of the two is so interconnected that I find determining a favorite based on story rather difficult, but I prefer the characters in the original. I prefer Isaac to Felix (Isaac is a much nicer guy, and does a lot more to help people out than Felix does), and I wish he had played a bigger part in TLA. IMHO, the best character in TLA was Jenna. Also, the plot of the original GS moves a lot smoother than that of TLA, which moves in little bursts of action interspersed with some long stagnant periods (Air's Rock, Gaia Rock, Aqua Rock, and Magma Rock, while fun dungeons, have no plot significance other than gaining Psynergy. The time before you reach Lemuria is especially slow, plot wise, and is one of my least favorite parts of the game). I don't mind unrelated sidequests such as the extra summons and the Anemos Inner Sanctum, but if they are required to get through the storyline, I wish there was more plot involvement. Also, most of the sidequests (except Crossbone Isle) in GS had much more plot involvement than the extra dungeons in TLA. Granted, most of them were also much shorter (the only one which is of any significant length being the invasion of Dodonpa's fortress), but still...

TurkSlayer
11-27-2005, 01:51 AM
I like TLA personally. I liked the characters better, and it was longer, which I tend to like. Of course, as Skyblade said, some of the areas were just pointless, and that was rather annoying.

Mo-Nercy
11-27-2005, 03:39 AM
I've only played about half an hour's worth of TLA but I've been meaning to get around to finishing it. I really liked the original but both are fun in my opinion. But so far into TLA, I already like the characters more. So I'll vote that as well.

Ultima Shadow
11-27-2005, 04:14 PM
I like GS1 better for following reasons:

1) Saturos and Menardi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Agation and Karst
2) More replay value
3) No incredibly annoying places like the Air Rock, Water Rock and Magma Rock in TLA
4) I liked Saturos and Menardi
5) Saturos and Menardi kicked ass
6) Saturos and Menardi where too cool to not be in the game
7) Saturos and Menardi where badass

On the other hand... TLA had:

1) Harder, cooler, stronger and more awesome super bosses, like Dullahan
2) More djinns, classes and summons
3) More extra stuff... yeah, extra stuff. You know... "extra stuff"!

Still... I simply just like GS1 more. :greenie:

Skyblade
11-27-2005, 04:21 PM
1) Saturos and Menardi > Agatio and Karst

Actually, I think that Karst > Menardi, but Saturos > Agatio. The Saturos and Menardi pair is better than Karst and Agatio, but a Saturos and Karst pairing would be awesome.

TurkSlayer
11-27-2005, 04:45 PM
I admit, I did like Saturos and Mernardi more than Karst and Agatio. But then, Karst and Agatio weren't as important as Mernardi and Saturos. In GS1, Saturos and Mernardi were what you considered the main villians. You spent the whole game hunting them down. But in TLA, Agatio and Karst were obsticals, but you weren't really hunting for them.

Alex is still the best character in either of the games.

Lord Magician
11-27-2005, 05:00 PM
At last! Some Golden Sun fans in the forum!:D

Skyblade
11-27-2005, 05:25 PM
I admit, I did like Saturos and Mernardi more than Karst and Agatio. But then, Karst and Agatio weren't as important as Mernardi and Saturos. In GS1, Saturos and Mernardi were what you considered the main villians. You spent the whole game hunting them down. But in TLA, Agatio and Karst were obsticals, but you weren't really hunting for them.

Alex is still the best character in either of the games.

True. Actually, while he is an awesome character, I think I like Jenna and Isaac as much as I like Alex.

Alex is one of the most awesome villains in the history of gaming.

TurkSlayer
11-27-2005, 05:27 PM
True. Actually, while he is an awesome character, I think I like Jenna and Isaac as much as I like Alex.

Alex is one of the most awesome villains in the history of gaming.

Jenna and Isaac are pretty coo, but Alex will always be the best in my heart. One of the top five villians on my list.

Lord Magician
11-27-2005, 06:00 PM
Jenna and Isaac are pretty coo, but Alex will always be the best in my heart. One of the top five villians on my list.
I feel the same here.

So, does anyone think there should be a third part??

TurkSlayer
11-27-2005, 06:02 PM
I feel the same here.

At the end of TLA, the Wise One seemed to suggest that he and Alex might meet again, so there is a chance, but only a slim one.

I'd like to see a third game, of course. Its probably my favorite handheld RPG series of all time.

Skyblade
11-27-2005, 06:03 PM
I feel the same here.

Hell yes!!! Did you see the way that TLA ended?There is no way Alex died there. He survived, and he knows that Isaac has the rest of the power of the Golden Sun, which means that we will eventually have an Alex/Isaac showdown. There is no way they can leave it there! I've been praying for a third part since I played the first two.

Lord Magician
11-27-2005, 06:07 PM
I heard the third part may come out for the NGC or Revolution. But thats just a rumor.

Cruise Control
11-28-2005, 03:50 AM
It's been a LONG time, isn't Alex that dude who Got swallowed by the mountain, and tried to tap the power of the Golden Sun at Sol Sanctum

Neco Arc
11-28-2005, 01:32 PM
i decided TLA but only because it had more stuff then in the 1st one... favourite characters are Issac, Mia and Jenna, Saturos and Menardi... there should be a third part as they left us with a cliff hanger... (alex and the golden sun)

Destai
11-28-2005, 05:51 PM
I enjoyed the first one more.

Ultima Shadow
11-28-2005, 09:39 PM
Hell yes!!! Did you see the way that TLA ended?There is no way Alex died there. He survived, and he knows that Isaac has the rest of the power of the Golden Sun, which means that we will eventually have an Alex/Isaac showdown. There is no way they can leave it there! I've been praying for a third part since I played the first two.
Also, if I remember correctly, the "Golden Age" has returned. Wasn't that what happened in the end when the "Golden Sun" rose and all that stuff? If so, then that would probably result in a whole new world map, which would mean more possibilities for new locations and stuff etc.

Also, it would be cool if Saturos and Menardi actually survived and become playable characters in a 3th Golden Sun. :cool:

Skyblade
11-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Also, if I remember correctly, the "Golden Age" has returned. Wasn't that what happened in the end when the "Golden Sun" rose and all that stuff? If so, then that would probably result in a whole new world map, which would mean more possibilities for new locations and stuff etc.

Also, it would be cool if Saturos and Menardi actually survived and become playable characters in a 3th Golden Sun. :cool:

I believe the lines you are referring to are:

Prox person 1: I guess the four lighthouses were the seal that blocked the power of Alchemy. So not only did Felix save Prox, he's also brought about a new golden age!

Prox person 2: I've been told that lighting the four beacons has set Alchemy free on the world. Now that we can all use Alchemy again, civilization is going to make great strides!

Note, it says he brought about a new golden age. The map isn't going to change in a matter of minutes, it is slowly going back to the way it was. The crack has begun to repair, but it is not fixed. The world may be different, but it won't be extremely different.

Mercen-X
11-28-2005, 11:03 PM
I own both but can't figure either. I need a SG.

TurkSlayer
11-29-2005, 02:39 AM
It's been a LONG time, isn't Alex that dude who Got swallowed by the mountain, and tried to tap the power of the Golden Sun at Sol Sanctum

Yeah, that what he tries to do at the end of TLA. But he also played a role behind the scenes, try to insure that your stones got to the Lighthouses by any means necessary.

I would actually love to play Alex if their were another GS. That would be great.

Roto13
11-29-2005, 02:44 AM
TLA 4EVA

Ultima Shadow
11-29-2005, 10:55 AM
I believe the lines you are referring to are:

Note, it says he brought about a new golden age. The map isn't going to change in a matter of minutes, it is slowly going back to the way it was. The crack has begun to repair, but it is not fixed. The world may be different, but it won't be extremely different.
Ok, so that's how it was. I haven't played it for a pretty long time so I just remembered someone saying something about the Golden Age. :p

Rase
11-30-2005, 01:48 AM
I beat the first Golden Sun and enjoyed it a lot. The second I wasn't able to get into, most likely because of reaching places where I had no clue as to what I should have been doing. I never did finish the second one, I think I got the ship and stopped there.

I should probably go back and give it another go sometime.