PDA

View Full Version : The DS, as a WiFi security device! or a War-Driving tool!

Tidus Andronicus
11-27-2005, 08:42 AM
slight background: I live in a apartment style neighborhood, with each building shaped to look like a large L shaped house, yet holding like 6 apartments(i think). There are at least 7 buildings around my single parking lot, as well as more of the same parking lots with more buildings/apartments along the road...

To start my story, After getting Mario Kart DS, and setting up my WiFi connection for it, through my wireless linksys router, I decided to let the DS "Find WiFi Connections" just out of curiosity...

To my shock, not only did I find 3 other WiFi broadcasts, all within the reach of my room, they were ALL unsecure (meaning anyone could get onto them) and 1 of them was compatable with the DS!

I felt a little conserned that these people didn't know how to protect themselves... but I somewhat ignored it for the rest of the day.

Later, I was getting home from work, when I turned on my DS in the middle of the parking lot, around which are like 7 buildings (each with like 6 apartments in them)... and once again I did a quick search for wifi...
This time there were 5 new ones I hadn't seen before!!! 3 of which I could connect to with my DS, and ALL of them were unsecure (no wep key, and clearly broadcasting their SSID)

Now this is just rediculious... DOES NO ONE OUT THERE KNOW HOW TO KEEP THEIR WIFI SAFE? O_O

Well anyway, I've desided to do them all a nice jesture, and tomorrow I'm going down the street to the head office for the appartments, and talk to the landlords, about putting up notices on the doors, reminding people that, for their own safety, they should protect their wifi... and maybe I'll think about offering my assistance, should they need it to secure their networks... =/

This whole event so far, has made me wonder... it would seem the DS can actually be used as a security device, since it can detect WiFi like this, tell if its secured, and even try to connect to it. (Just imagine what a WiFi security/detection software could do)
The DS could also be used as a War-Driving device, although considering you'd probably have to find a place, stop, run a test, then move on, its probably not the most efficiant way to do that. XD (course with all the neat hacks and homebrews you see out there, someone could mod a DS to be a PERFECT War Driving tool... lol)

Luckly, I took lots of Networking classes in high school and college, so I know enough to keep my own network totally safe, although if I wanted to, or felt it nessissary, I could make it even MORE safe... xD (currently I'm using a 128bit wepkey, and not broadcasting any SSID... which makes it minorly invisable to average devices, and since I already set it up, my DS can still connect, but few can even see my WiFi... lol AND I could also restrict my router to only allow Mac addresses that I know about, into my network too...)

Aaaaanywaaaay, I guess I'm not too surprised about how many people have unsecure WiFi... I just didn't expect that many so close to my home! XD Huray for the DS's abilities!
*hopes he can have at least some effect on his neighbors, who don't seem to know any better*

Anyone else had simmilar experiances...? or do you think you will try it? XD
I hope you all have secure networks! ^_~ XDXD

(btw, yes i know laptops can do the same thing... but its just a more interesting situation... when a TOY can steal WiFi, from people to dumb to secure their networks... XD)

Captain Maxx Power
11-27-2005, 11:27 AM
This all seems to fit in with them tin foil hats and alien autopsys to me. Is Nintendo involved in a world-wide conspiracy to control the world through the DS? Probably. I hear the PSP can detonate any explosive within a twenty feet radius. Best I get in my bunker before the nukes start dropping.

?????
11-27-2005, 12:10 PM
Is Nintendo involved in a world-wide conspiracy to control the world through the DS? Probably.

Yet another reason to support Nintendo.

Tidus Andronicus
11-27-2005, 03:12 PM
O_o How is it a "Tinfoil hat conspiracy"? I admit, I'd love nothing more than to see Nintendo gain lots of power, but Nintendo's not like that. XD I dont see where your getting "conspiracy"... unless you dont understand my point.

Unprotected WiFi opens your Network to drive by identity theift, granted it might be more common in populated areas and cities, but it still happens... just as much as it can happen, if some guy goes through your trash to steal papers. Its very serious!

It also opens up your network to, either on purpose or accedent, Internet theift, which in the DS's case isn't much to worry about, but when someone, say a cheap neighbor, is stealing your internet all the time, it can greatly slow down your speed!

My point is the DS let me see all the unprotected WiFi points around my home, for the first time, and I'm consered! I also find it somewhat amusing. I'm also wondering if anyone else out there tries the same things and gets simmilar results.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
11-27-2005, 03:47 PM
ds= hacking tool:cool:

Yamaneko
11-27-2005, 10:46 PM
WEP is still very unsecure compared to WPA and WPA2. The DS can only connect through a non-secured or a WEP-secured network. I would leave a router secured with a WEP key only if I was using my DS online. Any other time I would use WPA.

Tidus Andronicus
11-28-2005, 12:31 AM
I feel decently secure with my 128 bit wep key... and once I got my DS set up, I turned off Broadcast SSID... so now my WiFi is virtually invisable to the average person/device... Only devices that can use it, are the ones that already know its there. so thats kind of added security. =3
I would suggest most people do the same... At least its a comfortable way to stay secure... at most, set up filters so only your MAC addresses can use your WiFi... as well. ^_^;

And while I know WEP can be cracked... it most likely wont be... if a hacker wants to sit outside and force his way into your network... he probably will no matter what... same as any hacker on the net... but luckly most hackers dont want to bother with you... what you ARE protecting your self from, are WiFi theifs and your neighbors that dont know any better... If you keep your WiFi secure, at least they can't get in, since they wont know how to crack anything. XD

Elite Lord Sigma
11-28-2005, 02:08 AM
Interesting...I may want to tell my mom that...

Roto13
11-29-2005, 03:17 AM
I secured mine as soon as I set it up.