PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question about Geostigma

Hiraku
11-27-2005, 03:58 PM
right... I don't know if this has already been discussed...
But, as we all may know, there are lots of kids who contracted Geostigma, and so did Cloud.
We've seen that there are those who got Geostigma ending up dying, hence, the guy in the wheelchair. Since Geostigma is so serious even to the point of being fatal, does that mean that Denzel and Cloud are eventually gonna be paralyzed or perhaps die very young?

Christmas
11-27-2005, 04:01 PM
Yes.

PS: The guy in the wheelchair isn't paralyzed, he is putting on an act all along.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
11-27-2005, 04:24 PM
tht should of been a spoiler...but ne wayz they r all cured in the end

Azure
11-27-2005, 05:42 PM
But, as we all may know, there are lots of kids who contracted Geostigma, and so did Cloud.
We've seen that there are those who got Geostigma ending up dying, hence, the guy in the wheelchair. Since Geostigma is so serious even to the point of being fatal, does that mean that Denzel and Cloud are eventually gonna be paralyzed or perhaps die very young?

Actually.. I don't think the guy in the wheelchair is just in there from Geostigma he did kinda get blown up in FFVII so that might have contributed to it

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
11-27-2005, 09:47 PM
tht should of been a spoiler...but ne wayz they r all cured in the end

Well that should've been a spoiler too you know :D

Masamune·1600
11-28-2005, 07:18 AM

**unmarked Advent Children and On the Way to a Smile Spoilers**

Geostigma is invariably fatal, and Cloud and Denzel would have eventually died, had the condition not been cured. That being said, however, Geostigma does not lend itself to paralysis. Rather, it manifests itself with paroxysms of intense pain, extended fatigue, and discoloration of the afflicted area. A sticky black substance is also often expelled by the victim.

In Advent Children, we never actually see anyone die from Geostigma, although it is made very clear that the condition will, inevitably, lead eventually to death. In Kazushige Nojima's novella On the Way to a Smile, however, we see several notable individuals, including Mrs. Levy, die from Geostigma. However, it becomes obvious that the interval between contact with the tainted Lifestream and actually exhibiting Geostigma is random, as is the time period between manifesting it and actually dying. In On the Way to a Smile, Mrs. Levy displays the condition immediately after coming into contact with the corrupted Lifestream, and dies within a few minutes. However, other characters take months, even years, to show signs of Geostigma, and the time prior to death also ranges widely.

The WCM has Geostigma; this is why he is seen at the end being healed by the rain. However, he is not paralyzed (note that he stands up when he reveals the "head of JENOVA"). Rather, his staying wheelchair-bound was part of an moderately elaborate farce intended to keep the SHM from accomplishing their goal.

Actually.. I don't think the guy in the wheelchair is just in there from Geostigma he did kinda get blown up in FFVII so that might have contributed to it

How Rufus survived Diamond Weapon's attack on Midgar in FFVII is never fully explained. Rufus attempts to tell Cloud, but is cut off, leaving us to make our own guesses. Having said that, however, any injuries he may have sustained as a result of the attack are certainly healed, as he was able to stand, in spite of having Geostigma.

Blitz Ace
11-28-2005, 12:10 PM
i heard somewhere that Rufus had been injected with Jenova cells after the Weapon attack, so he could heal quickly or something...

Can anyone contract geostigma? or did cloud and rufus have it because they had been injected with Jenova cells? Why is it that all the kids get it - except marlene, and the only adults that get it (in the movie - i havnt read the novella) are rufus and cloud?

Azure
11-29-2005, 12:06 AM
How Rufus survived Diamond Weapon's attack on Midgar in FFVII is never fully explained. Rufus attempts to tell Cloud, but is cut off, leaving us to make our own guesses. Having said that, however, any injuries he may have sustained as a result of the attack are certainly healed, as he was able to stand, in spite of having Geostigma.

But we never see him stand up for very long. He stands up briefly when he's with Kadaj, before jumping off the building. I'm not saying it paralysed him, I'm saying he could be in a wheelchair due to injuries he did substain from that. Though as Cloud never let him explain.. :D Its anyone's guess.

i heard somewhere that Rufus had been injected with Jenova cells after the Weapon attack, so he could heal quickly or something...

Can anyone contract geostigma? or did cloud and rufus have it because they had been injected with Jenova cells? Why is it that all the kids get it - except marlene, and the only adults that get it (in the movie - i havnt read the novella) are rufus and cloud?

I think that Geostigma is infectious. In On A Way to a Smile I seem to remember Denzel contracting it after helping a small boy who was dying of the disease

Masamune·1600
11-29-2005, 05:18 AM

But we never see him stand up for very long. He stands up briefly when he's with Kadaj, before jumping off the building. I'm not saying it paralysed him, I'm saying he could be in a wheelchair due to injuries he did substain from that. Though as Cloud never let him explain.. Its anyone's guess.

Paralysis (or even grave injury) would not allow for one to stand, regardless of the duress involved with a given situation. Moreover, Rufus is able to stand easily, and bears no signs of infirmity other than the dressings for his Geostigma. Also of note is that Advent Children takes place a full two years following the events of FFVII, during which Rufus would have recovered from anything less than permanently incapacitating; this is further affirmed by the fact that Geostigma manifests itself in fatigue (so the chair would have been slightly useful in that regard). The wheelchair was undoubtedly a ruse.

As to the matter of how Rufus survived, it's purely a matter of speculation until such time as SE makes a definitive statement regarding the incident.

I think that Geostigma is infectious. In On A Way to a Smile I seem to remember Denzel contracting it after helping a small boy who was dying of the disease

Actually, Geostigma is not contagious. Take note of the fact that Tifa and Marlene are frequently close to Cloud and Denzel, yet show no concern that they might contract the condition. More importantly, On the Way to a Smile suggests that Geostigma is not infectious.

"Back then, we didn't know anything about Geostigma. Those who were exposed to the Lifestream have black pus leak from their bodies and die. There were some who said it was spread by physical contact. In actuality, it was the will of Jenova mixed with the Lifestream that...no, forget it. Even if we did know that, it wouldn't have changed the situation."

"Especially for the children."

"Yeah."

"I thought about it while I was on the track. I wished I was an adult soon. I was hoping that then there might be just a few less things that I didn't understand."

The reality of Geostigma is that it was contracted by coming into contact with the tainted Lifestream, which was corrupted when Sephiroth's body was destroyed at the end of FFVII. When the Lifestream reinforced Holy at Midgar, the Spirit Energy carried this contamination, and those who came into contact with the Lifestream were afflicted with the disorder. Rufus, although he survived, was presumably still in Midgar during the Meteor/Holy/Lifestream incident, and thus came into contact with the Lifestream, setting the stage for the eventual emergence of his Geostigma. The same holds true for Denzel; On the Way to a Smile explicitly reveals his contact with the Lifestream.

"Mrs. Levy!" Denzel pulled at the handle and tried to open the door.

"Denzel, stop it!"

"But—!" Denzel pulled the handle again.

Levy stood with her back to the door, legs and arms spread against the frame to keep him from coming out. "Close the door, Denzel!"

He could see several streams of light go through Levy's body, dancing and ricocheting off the walls, glowing snakes running riot in the room. This wasn't in the monster book. Have to run away and tell an adult. No…I'm the one who has to fight.

"Mrs. Levy!" As soon as he shouted, the light struck her. She groaned and the light shifted into a slender rope-like form that forced its way into the bedroom through the gap between Levy and the wall. He got a glimpse of her collapsing to the ground an instant before he was thrown back by the light and passed out.

While Geostigma can vary in how long it takes to appear (Mrs. Levy exhibits the symptoms immediately) and how long it takes to cause death (Mrs. Levy dies almost immediately, while Gaskin survives at least a month after the first evidence of Geostigma), it's clear that Rufus, Denzel, and the children contracted it by coming into contact with those glowing green tendrils of Spirit Energy.