PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Sexism

Cruise Control
11-27-2005, 09:33 PM
The 'girls' thread got me thinking, what is your opinion on the gender based discrimination female gamers receive?

War Angel
11-27-2005, 09:37 PM
I guess it's justified, to a point. Most gamers are dudes. There are games, however, that attract both genders, The Sims and Final Fantasy to name two.

I don't know many girls who play strategy games oר first-person-shooters, so those games are designed and marketed almost solely for guys.

Other than that... I don't think it really matters. A game is a game is a game, and gender has little to do with it.

Channing
11-27-2005, 09:39 PM
I see nothing wrong with girls playing games. Not my place to really dictate what girls can do but my preference is.. like they can play games and stuff but I'd like for them to maintain their femininity. :)

Giga Guess
11-28-2005, 05:07 AM
Silly people! Girls don't play games! Just like hot girls don't use the internet!

*Please don't kill me...*

As mentioned, there IS a little justification to it. I just don't know many female gamers.

Erdrick Holmes
11-28-2005, 05:11 AM
I think girls can be just as hardcore gamers as males can. I dunno if this sounds biased or not but ever notice how alot of girl gamers get hotter as time goes by. Like when I went to a Guilty Gear X2 tournament in port huron there was this TOTAL BABE who was participating, and she kicked ass too.

Behold the Void
11-28-2005, 05:25 AM
Gaming is becoming more popular among both men and women, as well as among a wide range of age groups. It's one of the fastest growing industries in America, really. Frankly, I like girls that can play games. Gamer girls are more likely to share my general interest range than nongamer girls.

Christmas
11-28-2005, 05:25 AM
I see nothing wrong with girls playing games. Not my place to really dictate what girls can do but my preference is.. like they can play games and stuff but I'd like for them to maintain their femininity. :)

:kaolove:

Miriel
11-28-2005, 05:28 AM
I don't think I've ever been discriminated against cause I'm a girl gamer.

Raven Nox
11-28-2005, 05:31 AM
Pently of girls play video games, I know alot, but then, I am a girl so that might be why. I don't see why gender matters, if they like games, they like games. Where does gender come in to it?

I've never been discriminated by it, at least, not even by any of the male gamers I know.

Primus Inter Pares
11-28-2005, 06:02 AM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2000/20001117h.jpg

I don't see why there should be any discrimination for women gamers, but I guess it can happen.

Shlup
11-28-2005, 06:28 AM
I was the only girl at a LAN party on Friday. I got lots of attention.

But then when we played Battlefield 2 I had to be an ugly guy and I was sad.

Reles
11-28-2005, 06:46 AM
Sadly I think I'm the only girl in my grade that plays video games, well, you know xD "Real" video games. :p (That was just a joke) But I get hottie points for being a gamer girl. Not that I need it. *hair flip* But yeah, whenever I win a video game against a guy, they seem to get twice as mad just 'cause I'm a chick.

boris no no
11-28-2005, 07:18 AM
i <3 half life :D so fun when YOU BLAST THE HELL OUT OF SOMETHING :D
i'm no good at them though ^^

p.s I AM A GIRL >: (

Drift
11-28-2005, 07:25 AM
To quote CAD: There are gamer girls, you [the guys] just have to stop playing and coome out and find us.

Zante
11-28-2005, 11:27 AM
A friend of mine plays lots of games, like Warcraft, OMF or Diablo. And she can easily kick any guys ass in counter strike (except mine, but I usualy let her win anyways :p ). But she is a exception, most of the other girls I know can't even turn on the computer without a manual. So it's not that girls shouldn't or couldn't play games, just that most simply don't.

SammieBabe
11-28-2005, 02:19 PM
I don't think I've ever been discriminated against cause I'm a girl gamer.
Exactly... I do get alot of "You play video games??.." But that's about it. Whenever I walk into a store as well, about four guys aske me if I need help within about 35 seconds of being in the store. :p

My husband kinda digs the fact that I can wholop his brother-in-law in just about every fighting game out there...:D

Captain Maxx Power
11-28-2005, 05:27 PM
It's about on par with the discrimination male gamers recieve, if not more so.

KoShiatar
11-28-2005, 09:01 PM
I'm a girl and I've been playing games for 18 years now. The only reason why I can't be called a hardcore gamer is that I don't have enough bandwidth to spend my days on some MMORPG.

Shoeberto
11-28-2005, 09:12 PM
What kind of discrimination, exactly, would girl gamers get? Last time I checked, being considered totally hot wasn't really "discrimination."

Flamethrower
11-28-2005, 09:24 PM
What kind of discrimination, exactly, would girl gamers get? Last time I checked, being considered totally hot wasn't really "discrimination."

To be honest (and please try not to be offended by this, anyone), gamer girls generally arn't considered "hot" by people other than gamer guys. In the same sense, gamer guys arn't usually considered hot by non-gamer girls. A lot of people look at all gamers as complete nerds. So, I don't really think gamer girls get any more discrimination than gamer guys.

Keep in mind that I mainly talk and hang out with people that are definately not video game fans and definately not the most open-minded people, so their view may not exactly reflect how the rest of the world sees gamers.

Kamiko
11-28-2005, 09:25 PM
I went on a school trip and some guys were playing some war game.
I told them I wanted to play. I don't think they knew female gamers existed before then. Quite funny I think.
Of course, then they gave me the broken controller for halo 2. :mad2: