PDA

View Full Version : Plothole? *spoilers*

TheSpoonyBard
11-28-2005, 02:57 AM
Quale is categorised as Human in battle, yet Quina says to Vivi in Burmecia; "What you talking about? I not human, but you definitely human!"

So what is a Qu? What am I to believe? I just don't know anymore... *breaks down*

TurkSlayer
11-28-2005, 02:58 AM
A Qu is a Qu. Nothing more, nothing less. The human thing is probably just a mistake.

SoftReset
11-28-2005, 03:06 AM
Deja Vu...

And you shouldn't even try to find plotholes via battle mechanics.

How is it that Odin can completely obliterate Cleyra, yet fail to kill a Python in battle?

Same with all summons involved with the storyline.

xtreme112
11-28-2005, 03:08 AM
you know what you should do;
move on to another game, ffix wasnt that good
lol
but seriously it probably doesnt make any difference whatsoever

TheSpoonyBard
11-28-2005, 03:12 AM
People are taking this much more seriously than I intended... I appreciate the responses though.

Deja vu, SR?

TurkSlayer
11-28-2005, 03:12 AM
move on to another game, ffix wasnt that good

:cry: Whenever you dis FFIX, a kitten dies. Is that what you want on your conscience?

SoftReset
11-28-2005, 03:17 AM
Deja Vu, yes.

And also, Baku, Benero, Black Waltz 1, 2, and 3, Hilgigars, Iron Man, Zorn and Thorn, Type A, B, and C, and Kuja, and Zenero are all Human in battle.

Azure Chrysanthemum
11-28-2005, 03:41 AM
Human probably applies to humanoid, which would encompass all sentient humanoid beings on the planet.

boys from the dwarf
11-28-2005, 07:54 AM
Human probably applies to humanoid, which would encompass all sentient humanoid beings on the planet.

Azure
11-28-2005, 06:37 PM
Quale is categorised as Human in battle, yet Quina says to Vivi in Burmecia; "What you talking about? I not human, but you definitely human!"

I like to think Quina's saying that to comfort Vivi more than anything. That was one of the moments that made me truely like Quina, just for that comment.

Old Manus
11-28-2005, 09:29 PM
Oh my God it's the APOCALYPSE

See what I did there

TheSpoonyBard
11-28-2005, 09:44 PM
Erm... not really.

Anaisa
11-29-2005, 03:41 AM
You can't trust what Quina says it says its not human but allows people to refer to it as a s/he. If it knew it wasn't human it would surely know what sex it was. Or just state that it was a hermaphrodite but at least have the decency to chose a preference over what it wants to be refered to as.

TurkSlayer
11-29-2005, 01:20 PM
You can't trust what Quina says it says its not human but allows people to refer to it as a s/he. If it knew it wasn't human it would surely know what sex it was. Or just state that it was a hermaphrodite but at least have the decency to chose a preference over what it wants to be refered to as.

No one ever asked Quina what s/he was, so s/he never told them. Its as simple as that.

Old Manus
11-29-2005, 03:59 PM
Erm... not really.
Good, because I didn't do anything

Anaisa
11-29-2005, 04:27 PM
No one ever asked Quina what s/he was, so s/he never told them. Its as simple as that.
Well their wrong not to ask, and she's wrong not to correct. Unless their all doing it to amuse themselves.There is a woman who works in a book shop and she calls me and my brother "Girls" and we don't correct her because we find it amusing not to. And we call her "Cida" because she looks like Cid out of ffVIII.

Azure
11-29-2005, 08:02 PM
Not entirely sure gender was such a big issue when saving the world.

Fire_Emblem776
11-30-2005, 12:43 AM
Whenever you dis FFIX, a kitten dies. Is that what you want on your conscience?

Azure Chrysanthemum
11-30-2005, 04:18 AM
It's also entirely possible that the Qu are a tribe that defines gender differently, if at all.

Generally with races as diverse as FFIX has, many races are only marginally aware of how the other races are as far as general personality and physical makeup.

Big D
11-30-2005, 08:55 AM

So what is a Qu? What am I to believe? I just don't know anymore... *breaks down*In battle, the "human" classification simply refers to a "person", of some kind. Hence why non-human sentients can qualify.

Qu are genderless, and they're not human, but they are people.

Actually, there are very few characters in FFIX who are fully human. Some aren't human at all, and some are highly mutated. Let's look at the main cast...

Zidane, Vivi, Freya, Quina: plainly not human at all.

Garnet, Eiko: Summoners. They have the ability to command Eidolons, which involves unique innate powers that others don't have. Eiko has an extra organ - the telepathic horn on her head - which Garnet also had, originally. So, they're not totally human either.

Steiner: His face is less than fully human: He has no actual lips (his mouth simply begins, rather than being framed by lips of a different colour); he has no indentation in his upper lip (between the nose and mouth, on the rest of us); his eyes have no coloured irises, only pupils. These unusual traits don't make him inhuman, but it's strange that one person should have all those characteristics.

Amarant: The guy has blue skin, just like Brahne. The physiological implications of this are quite staggering.

Christmas
11-30-2005, 08:59 AM
Steiner: His face is less than fully human: He has no actual lips (his mouth simply begins, rather than being framed by lips of a different colour); he has no indentation in his upper lip (between the nose and mouth, on the rest of us); his eyes have no coloured irises, only pupils. These unusual traits don't make him inhuman, but it's strange that one person should have all those characteristics.

They just designed him that way. For me, it picture an image of a stern and upright person.

Azure Chrysanthemum
11-30-2005, 07:59 PM
Although it is interesting to note that the Amano artwork for Steiner and Amarant are very human-like.

http://eyesonff.com/ff9/images/amano/amaro_steiner.jpg

http://eyesonff.com/ff9/images/amano/ff9art_5.jpg

DarkLadyNyara
11-30-2005, 09:22 PM
Well their wrong not to ask, and she's wrong not to correct.
I think Japaneese actually has a gender- neutral pronoun. That may be why.

Old Manus
11-30-2005, 09:40 PM
Although it is interesting to note that the Amano artwork for Steiner and Amarant are very human-like.
Amarant misses a hand and that is obviously why he wears claws there

Legendary Caladbolg
12-06-2005, 08:00 PM
Amarant's a person? I thought he was a duck or some other animal.

RaidenWeb17
12-06-2005, 10:40 PM
Yes he does clearly resemble a duck

Leprechaun_boy3
12-08-2005, 02:59 AM
I still cannot believe that people who like ff games dislike 9....if you're dis one then you should dis a futuristic one considering it is final fantasy not final sc-fi

Aeon
12-10-2005, 03:45 PM
Qu was just odd
though one of the best if you took the time to work on em
but yeah Qu is Qu...thats it

nik0tine
12-13-2005, 07:50 PM
Human is simply the "class" that they would fall under in the games battle mechanics.

boys from the dwarf
12-13-2005, 09:14 PM
human on this game means humanoid in battle , kuja and zidane technically arent human and quina and vivi arent but they still count as human because they are a lot like humans.

Swifthom
12-13-2005, 11:38 PM
I still cannot believe that people who like ff games dislike 9....if you're dis one then you should dis a futuristic one considering it is final fantasy not final sc-fi

WHAT????
I'll agree there are bits of 7 and 8 that get on my nerves, but the idea of machines being bad REALLY annoys me. There were machines right back from the first game, the focus is on characters and storytelling. FF7 DID have quite fantasy settings OUTSIDE of midgar, and FF8 was just a natural progression of 7.
Their both quality games, and if you finish the game and think, "nah, rubbish, too much petrol being used" then, really I can't imagine what's going on inside you head...

Kiwi Nazi
12-14-2005, 12:25 AM
I still can't really figure out how it matters. When Quina called Vivi human, umm, well, You guys brought the fact that this is false, and Vivi isn't human (sorry if somebody already brought on this point, i wasn't really paying much anttention). And dissing FFIX automatically condemns your sole to HELL!!!!

Anaisa
12-14-2005, 12:30 AM
I still can't really figure out how it matters. When Quina called Vivi human, umm, well, You guys brought the fact that this is false, and Vivi isn't human (sorry if somebody already brought on this point, i wasn't really paying much anttention). And dissing FFIX automatically condemns your sole to HELL!!!!
Shoes without soles! that will stop them in their tracks. Or sole less feet then they won't even be able to make tracks to stop in!

Flare_Cross
01-03-2006, 03:18 AM
the gender of Quina is a simple matter. Just look for the particularities of frogs and you'll find it...

RaidenWeb17
01-03-2006, 08:17 PM
sorry I dont go lifting up skirts to figure that stuff out. If I cant tell what it is, I just avoid it

Memoria
01-06-2006, 07:10 PM
Amarant's a person? I thought he was a duck or some other animal.

My mom thought he was a serpent wearing yarn on his hair, so yeah...

Ciretho
01-08-2006, 06:36 AM
You'd think Quina was a she considering s/he got married to vivi but as it has been said it doesn't really matter when you're saving the world. Who cares as long as it's a likable character (Which I believe Quina is, Quina cool)

Zell>Everything
01-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Man, a lot of kitties must now be dead.

Rhi
01-08-2006, 04:51 PM
*sniff* those poor kitties...

mooglebunni608
01-10-2006, 07:28 PM
quina is a magicall crossdresser.