PDA

View Full Version : What were the names of the Japanese Final Fantasy Legends series?

Crossblades
11-28-2005, 05:46 PM
I know they were part of the Saga series in Japan, but exactly what were their japanese games?

Black Mage
11-28-2005, 06:21 PM
Final Fantasy Legend: Makai Toshi SaGa
Final Fantasy Legend II: SaGa 2: Hihou Densetsu
Final Fantasy Legend III: SaGa 3: Jikuu no Hasha

Crossblades
11-28-2005, 07:18 PM
ok thanks:)

DJZen
11-30-2005, 10:36 PM
Tranny:

Demon Boundary Tower Loyal Retainer: Sa-Ga
Secret Treasure Legendary Sa-Ga 2
Champion Completion Compilation Sa-Ga 3 of Space-Time

God bless babelfish

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-01-2005, 09:45 AM
Makai (魔界): "World of evil"; usually translated as "spirit world" or just "hell".

Toushi (塔士): A made-up word, apparently, using the kanji for tower ("tou") and the kanji for a person of rank or profession ("shi"). No idea how to translate it. Tower-climber?

Hihou (秘宝): "Treasure." Pretty simple.

Densetsu (伝説): C'mon, you know this.

Jikuu (時空): "Time and space."

Hasha (覇者): "Champion" or "leader."

Kanketsuhen (完結編): "Concluding episode." This could usually be found emblazoned somewhere on SaGa 3's logo, but it isn't considered to be part of the actual title.

Lord Chainsaw
12-02-2005, 03:39 AM
I believe the best translation I've ever heard of SaGa 1's title in respect to its theme is "Trials of the Demon Tower".

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-02-2005, 04:01 AM
Except "trials" isn't anywhere in there. At all.

Azure Chrysanthemum
12-02-2005, 05:00 AM
Would the "Toushi" mean "Lord of the Tower" or something similar? Dark Lord of the Tower?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-02-2005, 05:40 AM
It'd be a stretch, but so would everything else I can think of. "Makai" specifically refers to a world, though; it can't just be "dark" or "demon."

Azure Chrysanthemum
12-02-2005, 05:54 AM
I'd heard of a different translation of Makai, where it was mainly darkness.

Lord of the Dark World Tower then? Sounds like something out of Legend of Zelda: a Link to the Past.

Ishin Ookami
12-02-2005, 07:56 AM
Would the "Toushi" mean "Lord of the Tower" or something similar? Dark Lord of the Tower?

A bit of trivia

In radical dreamers, when you are in manx's library, you can make kid read alot of books. One is a sex book that will make her attack you and nearly kill you out of embaressment, another leads too a sidequest, some are there just for jokes, and one, in which kid actually gets VERY engrossed in, reads like the intro to Stephen King's "The Dark Tower". Which I started reading about the same time I played the first Saga game, and thought they had both very similar premises, seeking the secrets of a tower that connects to several other worlds.

Like I said, just a bit of interesting trivia. Seems that square has a thing for Stephen King.

Azure Chrysanthemum
12-02-2005, 07:58 AM
A bit of trivia

In radical dreamers, when you are in manx's library, you can make kid read alot of books. One is a sex book that will make her attack you and nearly kill you out of embaressment, another leads too a sidequest, some are there just for jokes, and one, in which kid actually gets VERY engrossed in, reads like the intro to Stephen King's "The Dark Tower". Which I started reading about the same time I played the first Saga game, and thought they had both very similar premises, seeking the secrets of a tower that connects to several other worlds.

Like I said, just a bit of interesting trivia. Seems that square has a thing for Stephen King.

When was that book written? SaGa may very well have predated it by quite some time.

Ishin Ookami
12-02-2005, 01:41 PM
Im the game was made in japan in 1989, Book 1 in the dark tower series was published in 1982.

Lord Chainsaw
12-03-2005, 07:47 AM
Except "trials" isn't anywhere in there. At all.

It may not be the most accurate. But it's still the best.

Anything dealing with a Dark Lord doesn't make sense. The "Demon Tower" or "Dark Tower" is understandable in the title because the contests in the game deal with the four worlds overrun by illusionary demons.

If a Dark Lord was to be referenced in the title of the game, it would have to be Ashura. That doesn't make sense because the character of Ashura isn't even known to anyone until the completion of the fourth world. Most likely the reference to the Lord is the reference to the game's final boss. He fits the theme of the game much more comfortably, but he doesn't fit the title of Dark Lord. The game establishes he isn't evil, just lonely and inept. Either way it just doesn't make sense.