PDA

View Full Version : Question ..... ( with help needed )

Dreddz
11-30-2005, 09:48 PM
How do you get an image from a media player. Say Im watching something, and pause it. How do I get that image, or a certain part of the image
Cheers all ....

Samuraid
12-01-2005, 12:42 AM
You can't take a simple screen capture with most media players since they use a hardware overlay to display the video; However, virtualdub (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/virtualdub/VirtualDub-1.6.11.zip?download) should allow you to play a video back in software and save frames from it.

Yrkoon
12-01-2005, 01:19 AM
well i just ran a tv show on my pc and puased it then pressed print screen
then i went into paint and pasted the image i just took it showed the image that i paused the tv show on.

so to cut the tv image out into a seperate pic just use paintshop pro or something similar :)

Dreddz
12-01-2005, 05:47 PM
I got virtualdub, and have found the frame i want, how do I save that frame, I right click, but it just tells me to zoom etc ....

Samuraid
12-01-2005, 09:36 PM
Video -> Copy source frame to clipboard

You can then paste the frame in any graphics program (even mspaint) and save it.

Dreddz
12-01-2005, 10:24 PM
cheers, I done it :)

crashNUMBERS
12-01-2005, 11:16 PM
An easy way is too simply press "Pause" and print screen. Some people like , I, have the print screen button as "Prt Scrn". Then go to anything like Micro Soft Paint and paste it. Then simply cut it...

Vyk
12-01-2005, 11:46 PM
That only brings up a big black nothing in the spot where the video is supposed to be. Except sometimes the video shows through, from the background. But its not actually there. For instance if I play something in Media Player, and take a screen cap, and paste it into Paint Shop Pro (though I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter what program you use to paste, as it's not the image editting program that's creating the anomaly) it usually pastes at like 80% the actual size. Yet the image of the video is still 100% and cropped off where it can't fit in the image of the print screen. Then if I go back to Media Player and exit, or minimize, go back to Paint Shop Pro, it's completely blank. The only reason the picture of the video was still there is because it was still running in the background of the desktop or something. Virtualdub's a good suggestion, a program called Snag-It was created for this very reason though. And I think there's other programs as well. I dunno what you guys are talking about, either you've installed something to work around this problem, you have some off-the-wall OS, or maybe you're experiencing what I described above and don't realize it, or you're talking out your hind quarters :D

Samuraid
12-02-2005, 04:20 AM
You can't take a simple screen capture with most media players since they use a hardware overlay to display the video;

The hardware overlay is not captured by pressing print screen, thus the big black void.