PDA

View Full Version : Is it right for a vegetarian to wear suede?

Dingo Jellybean
12-01-2005, 02:48 AM
I'm not sure exactly where suede comes from, but I hear leather is just a byproduct of animals being killed for food.

I have 2 suede jackets prior to being a vegetarian, and would this make me a hypocrite to keep wearing them? I don't want to buy a new jacket, but at the same time I don't want to wear slaughtered animal clothing. If suede is safe, then I'll keep wearing it...if not, then I'll look for synthetic leather.

Yamaneko
12-01-2005, 02:50 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suede

Winter Nights
12-01-2005, 02:54 AM
That would be a yes. You'd be a hypocrite

Dingo Jellybean
12-01-2005, 02:59 AM
Damn, I'll have to look for a new jacket then.

Yamaneko
12-01-2005, 03:00 AM
Vegetarians can still wear clothes made from animals if they are vegetarians because of the health benefits and not be hypocrites for doing so.

Dingo Jellybean
12-01-2005, 03:03 AM
Vegetarians can still wear clothes made from animals if they are vegetarians because of the health benefits and not be hypocrites for doing so.

Most of being a vegetarian for me is for the health benefits, but I would say 20% of it is just being animal friendly.

I did find a nice faux suede jacket on eBay, only $25, but I am a bit cheap with $...so we'll see which gives.

eestlinc
12-01-2005, 03:04 AM
vegans can't, but non-arhdcore veggies can do it without too much logical inconsistency.

Dingo Jellybean
12-01-2005, 03:09 AM
Yeah, I don't consider myself hardcore in the vegetarian department.

I naturally love eating fruits and vegetables for their health and taste benefits, but I limit my fish intake to maybe once every 2 weeks. But oh well, I guess I'll have a target on my back.