PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking for a little help...

EricNuKe
12-01-2005, 03:37 AM
OK, I'm a noob again.. (wasted 2.5years on SWG) I was wondering, would I get any bonuses for leveling up on a job, then switching toanother. For example, level black mage up to increase magic attacks then switching to white mage to increase healing types, then to warrior to increase parrying/evasion/sword skill, etc., and then going to red mage? ( like the red mage path, I thought being just a warrior swinging a sword would get boring, so I wanted to throw some magc in) Also, any otgher help would be great. I'm on Sylph if anyone would like to give some advise {and maybe a little gil :) }

Markus. D
12-01-2005, 10:16 AM
awww. please come to Phoenix, if world passes are under 10k, i can buy you one :)

sword skill comes with equiping one. by the way, warriors are needed to provoke in the party and keep the hate on them and tank so mages dont have to take damage, thief are good because there all about keeping the hate on the party tanker :P and deal mega damage at just the right time.

sorry, just had to support thiefy there.

Yeargdribble
12-01-2005, 01:43 PM
No job specific type traits will transfer to another job really.

Say you level your Black Mage and then decide to level Warrior... you will probably go Warrior/Monk for a while and will basically get nothing from the Black Mage leveling you've done. You will get some mild benefits if Black Mage is your subjob though. If you go White Mage/Black Mage you will get whatever abilities your subjob has to the half level mark of your main job.

Bio is a level 10 Black Mage spell (iirc) so when your White Mage hits level 20 if they are subbing a 10 (or higher) Black Mage they will be able to use Bio and all of the Black Mage's other abilities to that point.

Additionally any 'skills' that you learn transfer between all of your jobs if they can use that ability. A few examples...

If your sword skilled up while leveling Warrior from say 0-50... if you go back and play Thief and use sword you will not have to gain any levels in sword. At each level there is a skill cap so for Thief at level 3 or so you would have 12 max sword skill. If your sword is already 50 overall then your Thief will reap the benefits of having a level 12 (already maxed) sword. Additionally when your Thief hits 4 and your skill cap jumps up to 16 or so it will once again already be capped and you will not have to reskill it for each job.

However, all of that sword skill will have no impact on a job that cannot use sword such as Black Mage or White Mage. Even if you find the rare swords that a Black Mage can use Black Mage will have no sword skill so the sword will be essentially useless other than any stats it may bear that affect other attributes of your play.

Sorry that the answer to your question was so long and complicated.

Lionx
12-01-2005, 04:09 PM
I want to say this right now: RDMs are not primary melee after level 30ish, they are Enfeeblers, Dispellers, Refreshers, and backup healing/magic bursting and after level 30 i recommend ALL RDMs staying back with the other mages. I even recommend all RDMs stay back when fighting gobs at lower levels. Compared to their casting abilities, Meleeing takes 0 priority in EVERY single exp party.