PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone notice this?

Angel Of Darkness
12-02-2005, 09:55 AM
Hey I was wondering if anyone has noticed that the FF9 enemies are also from FF1, like Garland and Kraken (or however it's spelled) and all those people (or things). By the way I haven't played FF1 yet.

Mo-Nercy
12-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Final Fantasy 9 was a special FF that was made to be a tribute to the first wave of Final Fantasy's to appear on the old Nintendo systems. So if you come across any references to any old FFs, that's the reason.

I copied this from an old text file on my computer. I know I just ripped this straight off some website that probably has a lot more of this interesting information. Just copy a section of the text into Google and find the site that way.

For starters, about 80% of the items and equipment are identical to those from FF Tactics.

In Evil Forest, one of the A.T.E.s is called "Orchestra In The Forest". It depicts the Tantalus orchestra playing a tune to keep their spirits up; the tune is "Rufus's Welcoming March" from FF7.

One of Freya's Action skills is called "Reis's Wind". Reis was a Dragoner (turned into a dragon) from FF Tactics.

One of Freya's spears is called "Kain's Spear". Kain was one of the heroes of FF4; he was a dragoon as well.

One of Freya's attacks is called "Dragon's Crest". This item was received after beating Shinryuu in FF5 (although the reference might have been unintentional).

Neil Hassler points out that the scene involving the antlion in Cleyra is reminiscent of 4: in both places, people say the antlion used to be docile, and now it attacks a prince. 8-)

Those Kupo Nuts you give to the moogle in Gizamaluke's Grotto originated in FF7's "Mog House" mini-game.

There's a sign in Lindblum at the start of the game showcasing Polom's action figure shop. Porom (spelled the same as Polom in Japanese) was a character from FF4.

There's an old man named Locke in Lindblum; Locke was a character in FF6.

Those disgusting-smelling Gysahl Pickles are named after Gysahl Greens/Vegetables, the Chocobos' favorite food.

Zorn and Thorn can give each other Meteor and Comet attacks, which is very similar to Palom and Porom's "Twin" attack from the Hardtype version of FF4 (the one released in Chronicles).

The story Ramuh tells Dagger at Pinnacle Rocks about Joseph and Nellie is directly from FF2.

Mount Gulug should have been translated as "Mount Gulg", the same place as in FF1 (they're spelt the same in Japanese). Even the Mount Gulug Theme is a remix of Mount Gulg from 1. (Wait a bit; the original theme doesn't start for almost a minute.)

It's quite possible that Madain (as in Madain Sari), the summon Madeen, and Maduin from FF6 are all supposed to be the same thing.
Many people have pointed out the extreme similarity of the Hilda Garde 1 to the Big Whale / Magical Ship from FF4.

The old man who gives you the Excalibur in exchange for the Magical Fingertips is none other than Kokuro, the dwarven blacksmith from FF4. (You can find this out by getting the Fingertip and talking to the innkeeper nearby *before* talking to the old man.)

The four mirrors from Ipsen's Castle are very reminiscent of the four Crystals from the earlier games.

Une's Mirror, a rare item, has the words "The body may perish, but the spirit lives on" engraved on it. In FF4, these were the words uttered by Zemus after his death at the hands of FuSoYa and Golbez.

Garland, the ruler of Terra, is also the name of the final boss in FF1 (aka Chaos), an errant knight. Mikoto mentions that "Garland once tried to take control of the cycle of souls by force, but failed." Guess she was talking about FF1. 8-)

Garland's castle, Pandemonium, was also the name of the last castle in FF2 (spelled slightly differently).

The four beasts you meet in Memoria (Maliris/Malirith, Kraken, Tiamat, and Lich) were originally four Fiends from FF1. (Maliris was called Kary in the NES version.) In FF9, they're called Chaoses; the final boss in FF1 was called Chaos. D. Wilcox tells me that the FF9 translation is actually more accurate; in the Japanese version of FF1, they were indeed known as Chaoses, not Fiends.

Garland's airship, the Invincible, was originally the name of an airship in FF3.

The third-to-last boss, Deathguise, is the same as Doom Gaze from FF6.

The secret monster in Alexandria Castle, Tantarian, is a reference to the monsters in the Ancient Library in FF5. His two forms were derived from Page 256, a monster that looks like a mask, and Page 64, which looks like a blue devil. Thanks to A.L. for that.

One of the rare cards is the Namingway card. This was a character in FF4 who could change your name. Show the card to a man in Daguerreo and he'll be inspired and change your name, too!
Other cards are Boco (a chocobo from FF5) and Airship (the airship from FF5).

The name of the four-armed man in Daguerreo (get Treasure Hunter Rank S and you'll find it out) is Gilgamesh, of FF5 fame.

Dagger's real name (found via a secret in the eidolon wall in Madain Sari) is Sarah. There are two other Princess Sara/Sarah's in the series, one in FF1 and one in FF3. It says that Dagger's mother's name was Jane; in FF1, Jayne/Jane was Sarah's mother.

If you visit Dragoos's weapon shop in Lindblum and examine the swords, Zidane will say "I remember a guy with spiky hair who used one of these..." - referring to Cloud from FF7. Click here for a pic of the scene.

In the play in the ending, one of Zidane's lines is "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us" - giving the names of the protagonists of the last two games. 8-)

Rare Item: The three Potions gathered by Zidane to try to restore Cid all have descriptions from the Book of Matoya. Matoya was a witch in FF1.

Rare Item: The comment on the Protection Bell is signed by Philosopher Minu. Minu or Mindu was a character in FF2.

Rare Items: Doga's Artifact and Une's Mirror can be bought at the auction in Treno. Dorga and Unne are characters from FF3. In Disc 4, if you take those two items and talk to the Black Mage in front of the phonograph in the inn in Black Mage Village, the music will change to a track from FF3, Let Me Know The Truth.

Rare Item: Rat Tail can be bought at the auction in Treno. It was an important item in FF1 and a useful one in FF4.

Rare Item: The Magical Fingertip can be bought at the auction in Treno and is attributed to Gogo, who could supposedly make extremely lifelike dolls. In FF5 and 6, Gogo is a colorful character who can mimic other people.

Treno Card Tournament: In Disc 4, you can play cards with ten people in Treno. One of them is named Gilbert, also the name of one of the characters in FF4 (aka Edward). Another is named Worker #9, probably the brother of Worker 7-new and Worker 8, from FF Tactics.
Althought not *necessarily* a crossover, Necron from FF9 may have been inspired by Necrophobia from FF5

Christmas
12-02-2005, 12:34 PM
yes, I noticed....

boys from the dwarf
12-02-2005, 05:23 PM
also i believe that the locations that the four mirrors refer to are the same places on FF1 where you fight the feinds ( if the world maps were the ,same that is.) i might be wrong on that but if you compare the locations of the shrines and the shimmering islands to the locations of the places where you fight the fiends in FF1 and the chaos temple they should be very similar.

TheSpoonyBard
12-02-2005, 05:37 PM
Yes, I noticed too. http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/game/197338.html -> MHobbs' Previous FF Games Reference List.

Angel Of Darkness
12-03-2005, 04:44 AM
ok i was just wondering, although i thought it was kind of weird to base a Final Fantasy game on another.

Mo-Nercy
12-03-2005, 06:36 AM
ok i was just wondering, although i thought it was kind of weird to base a Final Fantasy game on another.
It's not just the one Final Fantasy, it's all the them. You'll find references to Final Fantasy's 1-8 throughout the game. Some you have to look around for like the Weapon Shop in Lindblum that reminds Zidane of a guy "with spiky hair" who had a huge sword (FF7's Cloud) and some are just there like Garland (FF1)

boys from the dwarf
12-03-2005, 06:59 AM
the game isnt based on another but it just has loads of references from all of the others.

Aeon
12-10-2005, 05:59 AM
that's one reason they said
IX was a mix of old an new

_yeojina_
12-23-2005, 02:59 AM
The music is the same too. Check that most of the Prelude music is almost exactly the same. Also, when you get that "Game Over" screen, wait for about 10 seconds or so, and then the Prelude music will come, except it will just be the piano music. Go to http://www.ffonline.com/ and go to Final Fantasy 9 (duh). Click on the "Music" icon at the yellow bar. Scrolling down, there will be a music title called "The Dark Messenger". This is what Diablos' attack is called, except they left "The" out. Also, Necron reminds me of NORG in FF8 on Disc 2.

crashNUMBERS
12-27-2005, 01:32 AM
Yeah. FFIX had a plethra of classic FF refferences...