PDA

View Full Version : FFXII and FFVI

DocFrance
12-03-2005, 04:35 AM
Just a little theory, but I have a feeling that Square is setting this one up to be a (very) loose prequel to FFVI.

First, we already know that the summons are called Espers, a name they haven't been called in any other FF besides VI.

Second, the story looks like it will be about a great war - one where magic is used wantonly, much like the War of the Magi 1000 years before the events of FFVI.

Third, the latest trailer posted at the official website describes it as "a story of a time when magic was commonplace." FFVI, unlike many other fantasy games, is about a world where magic is not commonplace.

I know Square has made many other references to previous games before, so I doubt that these references are anything more than superficial. Still, it's interesting to think about.

Winter Nights
12-03-2005, 04:42 AM
Interesting to think on. More so considering how heavily X and X-2 referenced VII. Not likely XII would be an ACTUAL prequel, but it may heavily reference VI.

?????
12-03-2005, 06:33 AM
I don't buy the X/X-2 connection to VII. Naming some dude Shinra isn't enough to prove a correlation; the metaphysics of both stories are utterly dissimilar. There aren't any fayth or aeons in VII, and there isn't any Mako or Materia in X. The seeming connection between XII and VI has far more substance to it. This would of course render VI and Tactics connected to one another, which relates it to VII because of Cloud's presence. If you want to buy the VII-X connection, you have...a tangled mass of illogic.

So no, I'd really rather they not try what I think they're going to try. I like VI, VII, and X, but not all crammed together haphazardly. It's like peanut butter and pizza. I like peanut butter, I like pizza. I don't like them put together.

Destai
12-03-2005, 10:09 PM
the metaphysics of both stories are utterly dissimilar. You havent given it enough thought.
There aren't any fayth or aeons in VII, There are summons in VII actually which are the same thing and the fayth left/died at the end of FFX.
and there isn't any Mako or Materia in X. The theory is that spheres are materia and mako is the energy source at the centreof the farplane/planet that shinra discovered in X-2. Also both the floating lights that appear when mako is around and pyreflies are very similar looking.
This would of course render VI and Tactics connected to one another, why?
which relates it to VII because of Cloud's presence. that was a cameo. Theres no logic involved in it like KH.
If you want to buy the VII-X connection, you have...a tangled mass of illogic.no you dont. Alot of parts dont add up but you havent named any of them.

Anyway I hope they go somewhere with the XII-VI thing.

ZeZipster
12-04-2005, 10:30 PM
FFXIII takes place in the same world as FFTA. Besides the world, Final Fantasy's have no correlation except sequels.