PDA

View Full Version : Why Was Xenogears Rushed ....

Dreddz
12-04-2005, 02:09 PM
I know there was problems with this game in which it was rushed, or something like that. This is shown in the second disc mainly, I found it to be consumed by cutscenes, and little play time. Ive gone through the net and I find people thinking exactly the same thing.
I just want to know why. Thanks ....

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-04-2005, 02:25 PM
I think the story goes that fleshing out everything they wanted to was going to cost more time and money than Papa Square was willing to spend.

Destai
12-04-2005, 02:59 PM
Yeah, I think they went over there budget by the end of the first disc and alot of areas that were meant to be playable were removed for disc 2. I think Emeralda was meant to have an omni gear or something like that also. Disc 1 even had some areas that werent necessary supposedly. Xenogears god and mind site has a lot of pictures of areas that were meant to be playable from the debug room.

DJZen
12-04-2005, 08:31 PM
That and they wanted to hurry up and release the game just like they did with FFVII. Square likes your money.

DocFrance
12-05-2005, 01:59 PM
Square likes your money.
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=165

edczxcvbnm
12-05-2005, 03:43 PM
Wasn't this game actually in development for a ridiculous amount of time? For a game as long as it is I wouldn't say it was rushed. Playing through a whole 2nd disclike the first probably would have driven me crazy. I like how they did the second disc.

Captain Maxx Power
12-06-2005, 12:44 AM
Like many things lack of time and money meant cutbacks. That's pretty much a running theme through entertainment period, no matter what it's guise. It's not like a constantly run company that can rely on incoming from various ventures and what have you. When a game's in development it won't make any money until it's actually on the shelves.

For the record the second disc for me personally ruined the game as a whole. I felt cheated.

LunarWeaver
12-06-2005, 04:17 PM
I highly doubt they did disc 2 like they did because they wanted to, I'm sure it was forced, but seeing as the game is 70 hours when you rush it I'm actually sort of glad... If disc 2 had been completely fleshed out like 1 the game seriously would have been 160-170 hours minimum. I like long games and all, but by the time an RPG hits about 80 the battle system has lost its charm and I'm ready to see the end. I was more ticked over the terrible translation then disc 2...A text heavy and brilliant story like this deserves better then "Anyway, it is my prerogitive as a woman, however, to love and care for the man I love and care for, however." Even with the flaws the game pulls a 9/10 in my book, so it's all jazz.

Vyk
12-06-2005, 06:16 PM
I'm with Ed. I know they didn't mean to, but I like how they pulled it off. It felt much more like a story. And they kept the atmosphere, mood, character development. People's only problem with disk 2 seems to be that they don't get to run around and jump and explore things. Big whoop. That has nothign to do with the story anyway. The story's all there. The gameplay took a cut, but only in an interactive manner. I don't mind watching such an awesome story.

DMKA
12-06-2005, 07:13 PM
It was rushed?

kikimm
12-08-2005, 01:30 AM
Yeah, I don't really see a problem. ;D But I like watching my games more than playing them anyways.

UWAOOOOU
12-11-2005, 05:34 PM
Any game written by takashi is always going to be rushed or a little incomplete or compromised unless he wins the lotto a few times and funds the game himself.

Treize
01-06-2006, 08:59 PM
the reason y they rushed it was because they had to make many buget cuts for insint(i cant spell good) maria and the girl hard machine human then i cant spell her name were sposed to get omni gears but the game crators thought they didnt need them and they were just a waste of game disk but these buget cuts wont be in xenosaga 5 which is the same game(its all based on the 6 parts of xenosaga and xenogears is the 5th part)

~SapphireStar~
01-07-2006, 12:11 AM
Thats one of the faults I found in this game, too many cutscenes and not enough fighting for me.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-07-2006, 08:02 AM
but these buget cuts wont be in xenosaga 5 which is the same game(its all based on the 6 parts of xenosaga and xenogears is the 5th part)The events of Xenosaga don't match up at all with Xenogears's backstory. If Xenosaga Episode V even ends up getting made, it'll be a far cry from Xenogears.

Dreddz
01-07-2006, 05:55 PM
There finishing it with III I heard. Wasnt as big a success as they had thought. And im glad, guess Im sounding like a bastard for saying this, but Namco deserves to get bank rupt. Releasing Xenosaga epi II in europe, with a s***ty DVD cut scene disc to catch up on Epi I
Why would they give EU a chapter half way through a book, Like starting a book from the middle. Heard the game didnt sell well, GREAT !
Oh, and I dont think epi III is going to be released in the EU either.

Treize
01-11-2006, 06:51 PM
in 3 the ship crashes and differnt events happen im telling u xenogears is the 5 xenosaga

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Xenogears Perfect Works states that Episode I consists of the era prior to Deus's deployment, Episode II is the scenario after the crash with Abel and Cain, Episode III is the Zeboim era with Kim and Emeralda, Episode IV is the sordid affair of Lacan and Sophia, and Episode V is Xenogears's present era. From the beginning, Monolith Soft was never looking to follow this pattern, seamlessly link Xenosaga to Xenogears, and have Xenosaga Episode V as a Xenogears remake. (And even if they had been, Square Enix would certainly have had a lawsuit or two to contend.) The whole "Xenosaga Episode n" title structure was just implemented to (further) sucker Xenogears fans into thinking they were dealing with a legitimate prequel, when the reality of the situation turned out to be rather to the contrary.

Vyk
01-11-2006, 11:35 PM
Has that stuff been translated? I've heard a lot about it, and my love of XG makes me interested in checking out.

edczxcvbnm
01-12-2006, 12:05 AM
Most of what is in perfect works are notes about the Gears, Characters and stuff you already know about. There is some translation of it but there is no complete translation that I know of. I own Perfect Works and there are tons of pictures to help you understand stuff but it doesn't help as much as you would think.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-12-2006, 04:01 PM
There are a couple good Xenogears sites with information from Perfect Works. I'd say Guardian Angels (http://guardian.leamonde.net/) is the best one.

Azure Chrysanthemum
01-12-2006, 04:07 PM
If you really want to call Xenosaga anything, Xenosaga would be closest to Xenogears Episode I. And by that I mean ALL of Xenosaga.