PDA

View Full Version : Why is this game so enjoyable?

Peter_20
12-04-2005, 04:39 PM
I dare say as good as everyone with poor experience from RPG:s would get BORED from this game in an instant.
I actually felt really tired of the game myself first time I played it, and I'm an experienced RPG player.
For some reason, I still thought this game was really fun, despite its relatively slowpaced gameplay.
I even thought it was one of the five best FF:s ever!
I loved the way it reminded me of chess, too.

Why is this game so fun and enjoyable?
I always feel happy while playing it, but I also see why some people think it's tedious.
For me, though, it's awesome.

raskerino
12-04-2005, 04:47 PM
I enjoyed it, the battle system is awesome, it gives you many choices and allows for different types of fighting. My only problem was that there weren't enough tactics needed. Certain classes will beast on any opponent without having to switch or use interesting tactics.

Peter_20
12-04-2005, 04:51 PM
Yeah, I also thought it was incredibly nice to use all of those great Jobs.
Gotta love the Monk, Lancer and Ninja. :)

My best party consisted of three Ninjas and two Summoners a while ago.
I completely owned everything I fought;
Slash-Slash! Slash-Slash! Slash-Slash! *BAHAMUT!* *BAHAMUT!* :D

raskerino
12-04-2005, 05:02 PM
You see, pick a good job and you beast too easily, if I ever play through again I'll probably try a challenge.

Qurange
12-04-2005, 07:08 PM
There's an easy way to make sure that you do have to fight strategically, though; don't take extra time to level up.

But it's probably enjoyable because of the system, sure, but also the very much involved story and the great music. It had a certain atmosphere--and, I admit, the awful translation seemed to me to be more charming than not.

BG-57
12-04-2005, 08:40 PM
1) I like the FF's with flexible job systems: V and X-2. Tactics has the ultimate extension of that. Especially nice is the mixing and matching of primary and secondary skills sets.

2) Breedable monsters. :choc2:

3) You can get most enemies to switch to your side.

4) A complex, almost labyrinthine plot.

5) Wide range of specialized characters with neat abilities.

6) A large number of subquests and propositions keep you immersed and challenged.

7) Music is nice.

dodhungry
12-05-2005, 05:05 AM
I think what makes the game enjoyable is the fact that no two times through are going to be 100 percent alike. What I mean by this is how your party members level and what brave/faith they have and where you spend your time using them.
of course the main game will stay the same, Algus will always be a douchbag, and your maps might get boring. But hey, when you now have an awsome mage your second time through with 24+ magic and fire dose 300+ damage, its fun.

By the way, the official soundtrack owns.

Cloud#1
12-06-2005, 02:01 AM
What i think makes the game enjoyable is all the types of powers and characters you can get

Azure Chrysanthemum
12-07-2005, 01:16 AM
On your first playthrough, the game is very much about tactics.

The problem comes when you're on your second or third or twentieth playthrough, like many of us here, that you know the game so well that your party just destroys everybody.

But as far as why it's good, read BG's list, that's the best one on here.

XxSephirothxX
12-07-2005, 01:20 AM
I didn't really enjoy it, but that's probably just because I wasn't willing to devote the time to it, and the slow pace was just a turnoff at that point in time. But I've really enjoyed other strategy games, so once I got hooked I'd probably love it.

Vyk
12-07-2005, 05:04 AM
I didn't enjoy it :/ too repetitive, the battlefields are way too dinky. And way way too many variables.

MogThief
12-12-2005, 10:38 PM
This game is enjoyable for many reasons: 1) There is a different strategy for almost every battle. It's not like other FF games where you run up, attack, and run back. You have to know where and when to move to make an action, while acknowledging the consequences of doing such at the same time. Even one wrong move, literally, can turn the tide of a battle. 2) The game's graphics make it fun, and I don't think it would be as fun if the graphics were updated, in my opinion. 3) The ability to make your own characters is nice. You can have a knight using Black Magic or a ninja using Talk Skill. The combinations are almost endless. 4) The plot is brilliantly made and makes you keep coming back to play it over again just to understand what's going on. In fact, I think it's the best plot ever for a RPG. 5) The music is a pleasure to listen to, but it's too bad Squaresoft didn't incorporate a sound test. And 6) The fact that you can see your equipment in vivid detail makes this game fun as well. Other FF games don't show you your equipment to that degree.

Aurora_sword
12-13-2005, 05:29 PM
Well, when I first played FF Tactics, in a friend's home, I was still a newb at rpg strategy games, but I instantly loved it. I guess its the job system, and the art. Everything is just so cool I 100% agree when people say this is the best strategy game ever made (in turn based)

crazymoronx
12-14-2005, 05:08 PM
I chalk it up to one thing: Chocobos.

Yep, red chocobos, black chocobos, all the chocos you can get is what makes the game good. NOTHING ELSE. Well... except the Cyclops summon.

Actually, the class system is very well done, the music is good, your standard tactics gameplay, the panels and CT system thing were interesting enough. And it's Final Fantasy. You know what class does what (if you played FF3 or V that is) and the summons/magic are all familiar.

Personally, I like Tactics Ogre more, but not many agree with me on that one.

While the game is great, I found it a little too easy. But it's still great. It has that special little something that sets it apart. And I say it's the Chocobos.

Nanaki_XIII
12-14-2005, 08:29 PM
why is it so fun like CMX the chocobos roxors the job system is amazing well thought out and the albity to use when class's strength in another is nice (always uses martal arts and double sword myself)and you never get the same character's twice how you choose to grow them is a choice all your own oh and one thing makes it stand out...CLOUD!!!!!! in chapter 4 you can get cloud as a charcter and get his limit breaks as his specail attack arieth makes a specail apperance(surpringsly a flower girl)as for the limit break thing you need a certain weapon first which can eaisly be found at the top of Gulg I believe but I'm off topic now kinda

dragon_slayer789
12-30-2005, 10:04 PM
there is no dought that this game is the most enjoyable bc it has an addicting story line it is so much better than ffx2 blagggghhhh i hated that game

Angel of Death
12-31-2005, 02:26 AM
there is no dought that this game is the most enjoyable bc it has an addicting story line it is so much better than ffx2 blagggghhhh i hated that game

That's not even a comparison in my opinion. Just about any game I've played that I can think of puts FFX-2 to shame.

Lord Xehanort
01-05-2006, 11:25 AM
I liked the intricate way of setting up a character.

Make a Knight and learn all battle skills
Give him the Chaos Blade and Excalibur (obviously using Two Swords ability)
Give him the best armor
Give him Max Brave
Give him BLADE GRASP
Repeat for any number of other characters.
Dominate everything.

Azure Chrysanthemum
01-05-2006, 04:35 PM
I liked the intricate way of setting up a character.

Make a Knight and learn all battle skills
Give him the Chaos Blade and Excalibur (obviously using Two Swords ability)
Give him the best armor
Give him Max Brave
Give him BLADE GRASP
Repeat for any number of other characters.
Dominate everything.

I hope "Lower faith to 0 on all characters" is included in there somewhere, otherwise that party will get beaten down by magic.

Lord Xehanort
01-05-2006, 07:50 PM
I hope "Lower faith to 0 on all characters" is included in there somewhere, otherwise that party will get beaten down by magic.

I thought that lower Faith = higher magic damage...

I never had a problem with that, though... because they had auto-regen, and were just SO fast that they could damage endlessly and recover endlessly.

Oh, and I eventually got the best thing in the entire game: A Black Mage/Calculator with the Holy spell. Cast it as ATB being multiple of 5 on the first turn. It will hit EVERYTHING, but heal your Knights who have Excaliburs.

Azure Chrysanthemum
01-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Low faith means less likelihood of getting hit by magic and damaged by it, but also less likelihood to hit with it and do damage with it. This is also affected by zodiac compatability, of course. High faith increases the amount of damage and the likelihood you are to hit, as well as the amount of damage you take and the likelihood you have to get hit. Basically, the higher the faith, the more magic effects you and your magic effects others.

Lord Xehanort
01-05-2006, 09:05 PM
Oh. My BM/Calc had max faith (well, the max you can have without leaving the party), and my others had 38-70.

One of my knights didn't have two swords, and thusly used a great shield, which took care of the magic problem.