PDA

View Full Version : Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time

Yamaneko
12-04-2005, 07:29 PM
Has anyone picked this one up yet? I just got it yesterday and I must say I am loving it. I was a big fan of the first one for the GBA. The battle system has been tweaked slightly, for the better I think. Now instead of remembering a bunch of button combos for Mario and Luigi like in the first game, the battle system now depends more on precise timing. There are still combos that can be performed between the baby versions and their older brothers, but it's much more simplified this time around. The quirky and self-referential humor is prevelent still and the baby versions of Mario and Luigi are cute, but not too cute.

The DS's dual screens are used pretty well too. There's the standard dungeon/overworld map when you're not in battle. In battle you'll sometimes face enemies that take both screens, so looking at the top screen for attack cues is important.

My only gripes so far (I'm about two hours into it out of supposedly 20+ hours of gameplay) is that it's been too linear thus far. There's way too much hand-holding going on as if the game was intended for six year olds. Hopefully this will be a non-issue later on, but right now it interrupts gameplay.

Despite this, what I've played of the game is awesome and if you played the first one you should pick this up too, and even if you haven't played the first one you should pick it up.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-04-2005, 07:31 PM
For some reason, when I think of DS games I plan on getting, I keep forgetting this one. It's weird because I really want to get into it, if only for the script and graphics. I may pick it up today before I forget again.

Dreddz
12-04-2005, 08:36 PM
I dont see the appeal in this game .......

Tifa's Real Lover(really
12-04-2005, 09:00 PM
this game looks absolotly great, definatly worth picking up, i kno i will, i loved the first one :D

Yamaneko
12-04-2005, 09:09 PM
The script is the best thing, yeah.

Aphelion
12-04-2005, 09:32 PM
I liked Superstar Saga, but as I don't have a DS (at least not yet), I'm quite restricted. Probably, Partners in Time has an improved battle system, but that was my main source of complaints in the previous title: sometimes you were punished too harshly (read: the enemy took away a chunk of your life, something that could have been avoided with timing) because of one wrong pressed button. I hope the changes are for the best.

Yamaneko
12-04-2005, 09:36 PM
You still have to avoid/counterattack enemies.

SilverWind
12-04-2005, 09:39 PM
This game is amazing. Simply amazing.

omnitarian
12-04-2005, 10:13 PM
sometimes you were punished too harshly (read: the enemy took away a chunk of your life, something that could have been avoided with timing) because of one wrong pressed button. I hope the changes are for the best.

The obvious solution was to press both buttons at the same time. That way, it wouldn't matter which brother the enemy targeted: you would avoid the attack either way. :D

Rase
12-04-2005, 10:48 PM
I loved Superstar Saga, mainly for it's script, characters, and battle system, which, from the sound of it, are still great in Partners in Time. Once I eventually get a DS, I'll definitely pick this one up. Until that, I'll just replay the first for the third time. :)