PDA

View Full Version : Switching Promotion Campaigns

BG-57
12-05-2005, 02:55 AM
I've gotten through most of chapter 1, and I read up about the prizes you can get if you get to level 5 with both Calm Lands firms in the promotional campaign sidequest.

My question is: when should you switch firms? What chapter and after how many points?

Little Blue
12-05-2005, 07:18 PM
after you get 400 points, switch immediately (about the end of chapter 2 if you got every point available so far), this occured to me after i got my most recent epcom in the calm lands and found that out of the two extra games i can get, i only gained one, and i had 900+ points, so switching at about 400 points should allow plenty of room to get 400+ points for the other company as well.

BG-57
12-05-2005, 07:39 PM
I've read about dire penalties if you switch back and forth between them, but you're saying it's possible to get 400 points with one, switch and get 400 points with the other and the game ends with level 5 for both?

Little Blue
12-05-2005, 07:43 PM
in theory, but i'm yet to try it in practice yet, although i believe that if you CONSTANTLY switch between the two, the count reesets to zero for that comapny hen you re-join

BG-57
12-05-2005, 07:48 PM
The guide says it halves every time you switch but gamefaqs.com says you can get a maximum of about 1000 points.

If it halves the during first switch then it's impossible to get to level 5 for both. You could get 800 with one and switch and get 200 with the other and end up with 400 and 200 total.

If it halves when you switch back, you could easily get 400 for both. I'm hoping it works this way.

Little Blue
12-05-2005, 07:51 PM
Yeah, like i said, im not so sure since i havent tried it yet
Since you havent got to the end of chapter one yet, try it out see what happens and see whose right, since you've got most of the ame left to play, it shouldnt hurt to bad, or just save to another slot if you're concerned it'll ruin the side quest

BG-57
12-05-2005, 07:53 PM
Thanks. :)

I'll make a backup save in case it goes horribly wrong. I'm going to assume it's possible to get level 5 for both. It'd be kinda stupid if it wasn't. :eep:

Little Blue
12-05-2005, 07:56 PM
Good luck with that, try it out for a couple of points asap so you dont get too far and find it alll goes to hell. Glad i could help

TheKolkster
12-25-2005, 10:43 AM
You promote one company during the first two chapters (Obtain at least 280 points) and then switch to the other company and get a total of 400 points in the next two chapters to complete it. (Its not available during chapter 4.)

Quich question. Is it okay if you miss some points? Right now, I'm also in chapter 1 and out of 180, I have 170. I guess I missed some people somwhere :\ But does it matter anyway if I miss some?

Little Blue
12-25-2005, 11:22 AM
Merry Christmas :D

You promote one company during the first two chapters (Obtain at least 280 points) and then switch to the other company and get a total of 400 points in the next two chapters to complete it. (Its not available during chapter 4.)

Quich question. Is it okay if you miss some points? Right now, I'm also in chapter 1 and out of 180, I have 170. I guess I missed some people somwhere :\ But does it matter anyway if I miss some?
You need 400 within the first two chapters with the one, I know this is possible cos I got 400+ by the end of chapter 2, then switch to the other and get the rest of the points for the other company.

It is available in chapter 4, but you can only do the moonflow

Then in chapter 5 you'll get a hotspot in the Calm Lands, but leave it till last so you can do the rest of spira as the HS will appear if you've got at least one company to 400 points.

I think that there's 1000 points available in total, you only need 400 each, so theres 200 points spare should you screw up.

TheKolkster
12-25-2005, 01:55 PM
Merry Christmas :D

You need 400 within the first two chapters with the one, I know this is possible cos I got 400+ by the end of chapter 2, then switch to the other and get the rest of the points for the other company.

It is available in chapter 4, but you can only do the moonflow

Then in chapter 5 you'll get a hotspot in the Calm Lands, but leave it till last so you can do the rest of spira as the HS will appear if you've got at least one company to 400 points.

I think that there's 1000 points available in total, you only need 400 each, so theres 200 points spare should you screw up.

Yeah, Merry Christmas! :)

Okay, I was going by what the guide says. The guide says you should get at least 280 in the first two chapters and then reach 400 the rest of the way. It just says you need 400 points total to complete both missions. Or maybe it means 400 points after Chapter 2...
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/TheKolkster/FFX2.jpg
Thanks for the info about the total points. I was scared there for a sec. :P

Note: Sorry if the pic is too big. I couldnt get it resized. Pic resizing isnt my specialty

Little Blue
12-25-2005, 04:10 PM
Howdy, Its christmas day and I'm bored, so I decided to try out the stuff I've been suggesting. Heres what I learned:

when you swich companies, your count for the inital comapny halves like BG-57 suggested, which means I'm horribly wrong.

This is how I found out

Suppose your Open Air publicity rating is 50 and you decide to start publicising Argent instead.

Your rating with Open Air is cut in half to 25. Your rating with Argent starts at 0. You go on to get a rating of 60 with Argetn.

You then switch back to publicising Open Air. Your Open Air rating is still at 25 as before, and your Argent rating is cut in half to 30.

This suggests that since there is a maximum of 1000 points in the game, that it is impossible to get level 5 for both, and therefore get both of the new attractions in the EpCom for this region. However, using credits is another way of gaining points.

Chapter 1: Use 20 credits in an attraction to get 1 point
Chapter 2: Use 50 credits in an attraction to get 1 point
Chapter 3: Use 100 credits in an attraction to get 1 point
Chapter 5: Use 200 credits in an attraction to get 1 point

By doing this, and spending 8000 credits in chapter one (so you can get 400 points), getting another 400 from asking people in chapters 1 and 2, you will end up with 800 points for whoever your publicising. When you swap, this will cut it down to 400, and you can collect the remaining 600 for the other company.

(Of course, you can just use 4000 credits, get 200 points, and then ask for 600 points before swapping at some point in chapter 3, but this leaves little to no margin for error)

NB- since each credit cost 10 gil, you need at most 80,000 gil for this, ignoring the 100 free credits at the start, and any credits spent using the hover. Therefore this may be best left for a new game plus.

NB 2- I am unsure about whether you still gain points if you spend them on the other companies attractions. Clarification on this would be appreciated, as would be any suggestions or improvements (or corrections) since I also plan to do this at some point

:aimblush: Sorry for misleading anyone

BG-57
12-25-2005, 06:20 PM
Ack, I was afraid of that. You still can get both amusements, even with only 260 on both companies, but you won't be able to buy all the rare items from both company stores.

80,000 Gil isn't a problem if you fight in Moonflow in front of Guadosalam, even in Chapter 1.

1) You'll run into a tough boss-like random encounter called a Shell Shocker that gives about 800 Gil per fight. It will go down if you can hit it hard with Firega spells from at least one character.

2) You can use Master Theif on Protochimeras to get Yellow Rings (sell for 750 Gil) . Or if you get Oversoul Protochimeras, you have a stealing bonanza! You can use Master Thief to get a NullTide Ring (sell for 2000 Gil) or just do a regular steal to get a NullFrost ring (sell for 2000 Gil). And oversoul Protochimeras always drop NuShock rings (sell for 2000 Gil). So you can easily make 4000 Gil per oversoul Protochimera.

I've been mastering all Chapter 1 Dressspheres, and I've raised 180,000 Gil so far, enough to pay off all of Oaka's debt and still have 80,000 Gil left.

TheKolkster
12-26-2005, 01:49 AM
Are you saying you need to do the attractions also?

TheSpoonyBard
12-26-2005, 03:08 AM
Here's a better idea. In your current playthrough get to Lv5 for one company, then in the New Game+ get to Lv5 for the other company. That way you'l have an opportunity to get all the items available. Chances are you won't get everything in the first game anyway, so you'll be starting a New Game+ regardless.

BG-57
12-26-2005, 05:41 PM
Are you saying you need to do the attractions also?

Apparently you do if you want to get the rare items from both companies in a single playthrough.

As ForestOwl suggested, the New Game+ allows you to find things you missed in the last playthrough, so it's not the end of the world if you miss some things.

Too bad New Game+ isn't an option with more games. The only other one I played that has it is Chrono Cross.

TheKolkster
12-27-2005, 01:04 AM
Apparently you do if you want to get the rare items from both companies in a single playthrough.

As ForestOwl suggested, the New Game+ allows you to find things you missed in the last playthrough, so it's not the end of the world if you miss some things.

Too bad New Game+ isn't an option with more games. The only other one I played that has it is Chrono Cross.

Yeah, I know. I'm trying to get a 100% in a single playthrough. Last time I only got 60% or so and didnt know what I missed the second time, so I just started over. How much do you need to do the attractions?

Chrono Cross... I should play that. I bought it along time ago and haven't played it much :P

TheSpoonyBard
12-27-2005, 01:15 AM
To earn 1 Publicity Rating point you need to spend

20 credits in Chapter 1
50 credits in Chapter 2
100 credits in Chapter 3
200 credits in Chapter 5

As you can see, it pays to start early.

TheKolkster
12-27-2005, 01:53 AM
To earn 1 Publicity Rating point you need to spend

20 credits in Chapter 1
50 credits in Chapter 2
100 credits in Chapter 3
200 credits in Chapter 5

As you can see, it pays to start early.

Thanks for the info. I'll start using credits before I finish the chapter.

TheKolkster
12-28-2005, 11:06 PM
I seem to have a problem. I've collected 262 points for Open Air, but I'm only at Publicity 2 instead of 4 :( I'm at the end of chapter 1. All I need to do is visit Zanarkand and then go get to Kilika for the sphere hunt and I'm done.

Little Blue
12-28-2005, 11:07 PM
the publicity lvl cannot increase further than your chapter, regardless of how many points you've got. the fact that you've got lvl 2 in chapter 1 amazes me

TheKolkster
12-30-2005, 10:15 AM
the publicity lvl cannot increase further than your chapter, regardless of how many points you've got. the fact that you've got lvl 2 in chapter 1 amazes me

It likes me :)

I take it I'm in good shape to end the chapter. I'll probably end up with 300 points when I've completed the chapter cause I still need to go to Kilika.

BG-57
12-30-2005, 09:02 PM
I didn't think you could get more than 270 publicity points in Chapter 1, without resorting to spending credits.

I decided to switch promotional campaigns at the end of Chapter 2. You can amass 210 publicity points in this chapter for a total of 480 points, so I needed to buy at least 320 points in Chapter 1 to get a total of 800 points. I spent 64,000 Gil to buy the 6,400 credits, which I lost at Sky slots, 25 credits at a time.

Renmiri
12-30-2005, 10:07 PM
I didn't think you could get more than 270 publicity points in Chapter 1, without resorting to spending credits.
1st thing: When you start a New Game Plus your PR score goes back to Zero (So does the "bride" score and you also lose all spherebreak coins you got). I know that for a fact.

Easy way to complete Bride & PR missions
The bride one is a cinch! The PR is a bit more trouble, as you need tons of gil

Buying your way into level 5 PR
You will probably not have a lot of gil in your first game but if you do you can do it on your first try. You can buy your way into level 5 even if you are still level 1 by chapter 5: With half a million gil you can go from 0 PR points to 400 PR points by loosing 80,000 credits on any of the games, provided you play them at the company you picked to advertise. Sky slots goes faster to loose: Up arrow 5 times to bet, X 3 times to play (and loose). Loosing 80,000 credis on level 5 would bring you to level 4 with 400 points. You need 460 PR points to get to level 5, and you can get 60 points by advertising, can't you ?

It is much easier to buy PR points on a second pass at the game as you inherit tons of gil from your first gameplay. You can start buying your points in level one: every 20 credits you loose in the games give you one point in PR. So if you want 100 points you only need to loose 2,000 credits. It is useless to try to buy a level higher than your chapter +1 (level 2 is the max you can achieve on chapter 1) but you can keep on buying points and they will still count when you reach the other chapters.

- Chapter 1: you need to loose 20 credits to get a PR point. But Sky slots only lets you bet 5 credits per turn so it goes slooooooow
- Chapter 2: you need to loose 50 credits to get a PR point. But now Sky slots lets you bet 25 credits per turn so it goes faster
- Chapter 3: Now 1 PR point costs 100 credits, i.e. you have to loose 10,000 credits to get a measly 100 PR points. And that costs 100,000 gil! So if you left all your PR buying to chapter 3 you have to spend 300,000 gill to get from zero to level 3 PR (300 points "bought" and some PR points earned advertising). The good news is that you probably high enough on your levels that can bet 50 per turn at this time.
- Chapter 4: You can't play sky slots or do PR
- Chapter 5: Now 1 PR point costs 200 credits, i.e. you have to loose 20,000 credits to get a measly 100 PR points. Which cost 200,000 gil!!! Sky slots lets you bet 125 credits per turn (I think)

The best strategy if your PR points are still low by chapter 5 (or if you changed companies mid stream) is to do some pretty good advertising AND spend some serious cash to get the 460 points you need to get PR level 5 and complete the mission.

Bride quest - Men marrying men ?
Did you know you can offer the bride to men too ? They will always answer with "strange, he doesn't seem interested" which gives you 2 points, a lot more than if you get a lady offended by your proposal.. Just do the Bride question to everyone you do the PR and you get over 50 points in no time!

TheKolkster
12-30-2005, 11:25 PM
I decided to switch promotional campaigns at the end of Chapter 2. You can amass 210 publicity points in this chapter for a total of 480 points, so I needed to buy at least 320 points in Chapter 1 to get a total of 800 points.

So are you saying you got 800 points in chapter 1?

BG-57
12-31-2005, 04:09 PM
No, I bought 320 points in Chapter 1, which added to the 270 I had, giving me 590 points. When I (hopefully) get 210 points in Chapter 2, I'll have the 800 points and I can switch before Chapter 3.

Of course, you really only need to buy 195 points since you can get a maximum of 1005 points by talking to people. But I'm impatient and want to switch ASAP.

yunafan11
01-25-2006, 10:15 PM
This makes my head hurt. LOL. Oh well. I'm not switching. It seems like too much work.