PDA

View Full Version : Team display in the field

TheSpoonyBard
12-05-2005, 03:36 PM
Do you prefer the 'jump in the leader's back pocket' style of FFVI and FFVII, the 'follow the leader' style of FFVIII, or the 'let's have a cutscene whenever we need to talk to party members' style in FFX?

Also, does anyone know what style FFXII will be adopting?

I prefer the 'follow the leader' style, but I think it could be improved slightly so there isn't as much glitching. This style also worked well in the Grandia series, but avoiding the enemies with a string of four characters got quite tricky in the final dungeons of the game.

Yuffie514
12-05-2005, 03:48 PM
i liked Final Fantasy VIII's style. i have gotten stuck before trying to climb a ladder in Centra Ruins, but that's b/c i used a code that allowed Edea to be a full-time party member and she's invisible outside of battle. it's more realistic and realism is a demand...:choc2:

Captain Maxx Power
12-05-2005, 06:05 PM
It does look a bit silly, two other people just following exactly where you go/bad collision. Personally I'm not fussed if it's just the one character on screen at any point, though I prefer to have a choice as to who exactly is displayed.

Light Mage
12-05-2005, 06:33 PM
It does look a bit silly, two other people just following exactly where you go/bad collision. Personally I'm not fussed if it's just the one character on screen at any point, though I prefer to have a choice as to who exactly is displayed.
Like in FFIV.

That was cool, you could choose which character was the "leader".

It would be even better if your choice of on-screen leader made the conversation with NPC's different depending on who it was!

That's what I prefer.

KoShiatar
12-05-2005, 09:11 PM
It would be even better if your choice of on-screen leader made the conversation with NPC's different depending on who it was!

That happens in the Breath of Fire series. There are characters who will refuse to interact unless the right person is at the head of your party (example: Jean the frog prince in Breath of Fire II). Not only, but walking position influences battle position and the amount of damage given and taken (kinda like front row/back row in Final Fantasy).

zbonks
12-06-2005, 04:27 AM
I liked it when they jumped into the leader's "back pocket" The style in ff8 kinda annoyed me

Captain Maxx Power
12-06-2005, 10:39 AM
I don't think it's necessary to have a certain NPC in lead to initiate certain conversation paths. Sorta like: "I can see that my friend is just behind you, but I'll be damned if I talk to them before they talk to me first!". It leads to a lot of missed quests and annoyance at having to swap characters around.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-06-2005, 11:11 AM
I prefer to see the entire party following the leader, although not in the goofy manner seen in FFVIII and the Chrono games.

It does look a bit silly, two other people just following exactly where you go/bad collision. Personally I'm not fussed if it's just the one character on screen at any point, though I prefer to have a choice as to who exactly is displayed.Like in FFIV.And FFI. And FFII. And FFIII, V, and VI.

crashNUMBERS
12-06-2005, 09:03 PM
Follow the leader...

Qurange
12-06-2005, 09:28 PM
It's nice to actually see that the other party members exist, which is why I'm fond of FFVIII's system. It also makes dialogue easier.

..I admit, though 'let's have a cutscene!' is nice, and I always did like being able to run around changing the lead member all the time. I still go with 'Follow the Leader', though.

rubah
12-07-2005, 03:23 AM
I loved follow the leader.

When playing ff5 for the first time, my friend was over and she was like 'OH MY GOD THEY"RE MULTIPLYING!'

Slade
12-07-2005, 06:29 AM
Follow the leader form VIII was my favorite. Except I wish they weren't so straight in following the leaders path....i mean, what if the leader walked off a cliff? :D

Randgris
12-13-2005, 03:59 AM

Not only silly, its also quite annoying to see two other people following you around. Also why does Squall wear a blue dress? :confused:

I prefer seeing one character on the screen.

six underground
12-13-2005, 11:12 AM
Like in FFIV.

That was cool, you could choose which character was the "leader".

That's what I prefer.

that's a nice idea. :) they also did that in Wild Arms...but i guess it would be a hassle having to switch everyone to get the right person, especially because of the loading times.

i loved the jump in the back pocket thing tho:)

Medi
12-14-2005, 12:00 AM
I like the FFVIII system, it reminds me of the "Chrono" games :love:

rubah
12-14-2005, 04:03 AM
I prefer to see the entire party following the leader, although not in the goofy manner seen in FFVIII and the Chrono games.And FFI. And FFII. And FFIII, V, and VI.
I'd rather it not require dying to change shown party members, though. Unless I missed something integral in ff2.

Little Blue
12-14-2005, 12:46 PM
I like the cutscenes that IX and X used

Memoria
12-15-2005, 09:00 PM
My favorite character on display system is from Tales of Symphonia. There's only one at a time mostly, and when you have a cutscene you have only those that are really important show up... it's kinda annoying when if Presea isn't used then she's not there for a while, even though she might be in my battle party... BUT that's not an FF game...

FF wise, to me, they're all the same. I think it's kinda funny in FFVII when my counsin goes "Aeris get in your pokeball!" when they go inside the back pocket, but follow the leader makes more sense until they all go and fall off a cliff...

What about this? FFTactics! No one's important except you! MUHAHAHA!

My question is though when Squall hits the punching bag in Zell's house, why doesn't he ball up his fist? -my brother