PDA

View Full Version : Star Ocean

X-Dragon
12-06-2005, 03:28 AM
Has anybody played Star Ocean Till the End of Time Thinking about buying it is it worth it?

DeBlayde
12-06-2005, 04:52 AM
no but I played Star Ocean II that came out on the PS1 and found it ridiculously difficult with a hugely disjointed storyline that one would have to be extremely high to be able to make sense of.

sorry, can't be much help, but hopefully the Star Ocean series has made progress since back in the ancient days when I was in Highschool.

Raven Nox
12-06-2005, 05:53 AM
Star Ocean 3 is really a mixed bag when it comes to people liking it. Most people like SO2 more. Star Ocean being my favorite series, I say yes, it's worth it. But yeah, because it's my favorite series, might not go on just me. You should probably rent it or borrow it first. Also, a warning: Don't base the game on the beginning alone, it doesn't get get any good until Elicoor, which isn't that far into the game. A little bit into the Elicoor section of it might tell you if your gonna enjoy it or not.

Reine
12-06-2005, 03:34 PM
Well, it depends what kind of game you like. It'll keep you occupied for a LONG time if you enjoy it, with all the sidequests, bonus dungeons, uber bosses and difficulty levels, but storywise, its a mixed bag.

If youve played the other two games in the series the story tends to be a bit clearer.

I would say try it out, its a good game.

Ultima Shadow
12-06-2005, 05:04 PM
Buy it. It's worth it. And if you don't like it, you've got a bad taste in videogames. ;)

Dreddz
12-06-2005, 05:20 PM
Meh, false advertising In My Opinion, it shows it as a fururistic game, but is a medievil game all the way through Disc 1, and Disc 2 is very short, and thats pretty much more medievil then any other.
the battle system is good though, fast, fun and involving. Definatley a plus point
I found the game to be quite unforgiving though, later in the game, when I got to the spiral tower, I was very weak and needed to level up, but I had no healing items, so had to trek back along way, which was tedious.
I'd definately pick up other RPG's instead of this, this game is not bad, but games like Xenosaga, Dark Chronicle and probably Dragon Quest VIII ( although I aint played it yet ) are definately more worth your money.
If you want to play Star Ocean though, get Star Ocean 2 ;)

Destai
12-06-2005, 05:29 PM
Its a very good game. One of my favourite RPG battle systems. Pretty nice story too. 7 or 8 outta 10 for me.

crashNUMBERS
12-08-2005, 02:40 AM
Battle system is great :cool:

Nasarian Altimeros
12-08-2005, 08:45 AM
Star Ocean 3 is awesome man, get it...

I like it better than the second one! (Albel rocks!)

Khaotic
12-08-2005, 09:38 AM
One of the best RPG's imo.

Vaprice
12-08-2005, 12:49 PM
The plot is confusing as omg it's like taking calculus when your in 1st grade kinda stuff. Very beginning it's confusing. I'd say the best part of the game was the battle system.

* White Aeris *
12-08-2005, 04:30 PM
you should totally buy it!!! It's great!

SummonerYuna
12-09-2005, 02:52 AM
Yeah. It has a great story to it! Also has gr8 characters:D

X-Dragon
12-09-2005, 03:01 AM
The only problem I hear about the game is the story. sometimes I just put stuff together to figure out what's going on

Destai
12-09-2005, 10:30 PM
I think the story sucks. The musics pretty good though and so are the graphics and all the extras.

Dreddz
12-09-2005, 10:38 PM
Star Ocean 2 is far superior.....

lotink0
12-13-2005, 06:00 PM
star ocean 3 till the end of time was by far the best RPG game i have ever played it keeps u going with he IC and the story line take time but it is fun to get into. the battle system is easy when u master them. the battle trophies are cool to collect and it is woth alot of time to take in getting them but the prizes are great. try it it is fun

Hana-chan
12-14-2005, 12:26 AM
I loved Star Ocean til the end of time! The story was good and it had plenty of plot twists and a wonderful cast of characters and the item creative system is fun and addicting too.

crazymoronx
12-14-2005, 05:23 PM
Buy it. It's worth it. And if you don't like it, you've got a bad taste in videogames. ;)

This is true.

SO3 was a great game. I don't see why anyone would bash it, unless they are ghey.:choc2:

The Man
12-14-2005, 05:52 PM
The first disc was pure brilliance; the second one kind of took things into WTF-land. But I still enjoyed it.

And as has been said before, it doesn't start getting really good until Elicoor.

~SapphireStar~
12-16-2005, 03:31 PM
Second Story was far, far better then Till The End of Time. TTEOT went on far too long and was so broing after awhile. SS was wicked cause you could play a hero or heroine and the 2 stories became 1.

X-Dragon
12-18-2005, 03:50 AM
Got it it's hot so I've seen this other places administrators can you close this.

p.s understand story

a nirvana fan
01-01-2006, 06:47 PM
I bought this game over a year ago now, and I still haven't completed it due to the fact I don't really want to..well OK it's a good game, nothing amazing, from my experience I wouldn't waste your money, get something else:choc:

crashNUMBERS
01-01-2006, 06:54 PM
well OK it's a good game, nothing amazing, from my experience I wouldn't waste your money, get something else:choc:
Yeah, I think the same but I do find the gameplay amazing...

I Took the Red Pill
01-05-2006, 01:48 AM
I played SO2 and loved it (one of the first RPGs) I ever played, which was extremely difficult in my eyes. I recently picked up SO3 for $20 and I'm not very far into it yet, so I can't really judge it (I'm in the mine in whatever that medieval town is). So far, I like it though :)

Lord Xehanort
01-05-2006, 02:02 AM
I adore this game. The medieval atmosphere of the first disc is a bit of a drag, but I don't mind. Just remember to pay attention at all times, get Albel to join you, and level up like a MADMAN when you first hit Gemity.

Matrinka
01-05-2006, 04:17 AM
Hmmn... I actually really like Star Ocean. Shocking, because I usually stick to turn-based only RPGs. I'm not good at platform style games (like Mario) and any button masher usually does me in by the end of the first level.

Star Ocean Till The End of Time was pretty amusing. Granted, I was HUGELY bored by the end of the last 3 levels, but I'm glad I stuck to it... and took a 2 week break from it. Still, an awesomely fun and amusing game.

Zeromus_X
01-05-2006, 04:21 AM
my friends played it, so it looked cool, and i bought it. now if go into a battle, it freezes. now i have to buy a new one....

hopefully you dont have that problem... :cat:

ScottNUMBERS
01-05-2006, 12:41 PM
The plot twist in that game put me off to a great degree.

The two player mode is an excellent feature though.

Matrinka
01-09-2006, 03:06 PM
Hmmn...

I'm trying to get back into Star Ocean -- I put it down a few months ago and never bothered to finish it. Not out of dislike from the game, but boredom from the last few levels. Right now, I'm at the Firewall - where I left off the first time, and feeling like it not worth the effort anymore. Anyone else feel this way about the end parts of the game?

look_out_below
01-20-2006, 04:45 PM
It is a pretty good game, but it takes along time to complete even if you do not do any of the sidequests. It has good characters, the voice acting is pretty good and the fight system is awesome. It can, at times, be a little repetitive and frustrating. The game is challeneging (especially in 4D mode *shudder*). It took me a while to finish it the first time i played though because i got to the end with doing as little leveling as my characters as possible and it turned out a lot of the bosses in the end were incrediably strong, with area attacks and tons of health.

Captain Maxx Power
01-20-2006, 06:17 PM
Has anybody played Star Ocean Till the End of Time Thinking about buying it is it worth it?

I've been playing it and so far I'd say it rocks seven million kinds of ways. Plus Cliff is quite literally the man:

http://www.legendra.com/art/galeries/star_ocean_3/mini_1.jpg

It's worth buying the game just for him alone.

BlueMageOne
01-23-2006, 09:34 PM
Here is a relatively easy to follow review of Star Ocean 3- if you find yourself agreeing with some of the points, you may want to pick it up. If not, stay away from it, obviously.

Til the End of Time isn't really a breakthrough game. It's so-so, really. I got it because I loved SO2. I was expecting the tranquil, haunting music, the beautiful green backgrounds, the primitive atmosphere and return of small villages. Instead, I got a sci-fi adventure that spiralled me through space and into a plot twist that absolutely pains my heart when I think of its two predecessors.

SO3's characters are flat. Really flat. The hero is the stereotypical semi-rebellious character carrying a sword and a hidden, apocalyptic identity destined to be revealed when *something* is at stake. His sidekick is your stereotypical weak female mage with a (presumably) big crush on the hero. Cliff, the strong arm of the cast is pretty cool, as noted above, but sometimes his dialogue is downright ridiculous and very arrg arrg I'm a tough guy don't mess with me-esque. Albel, the game's pyschotic red herring antagonist of the first disc is your average I hate the hero yet I will tag along with him after he defeats me. The only other semi interesting character besides Cliff is Maria, carrying dead weight on her shoulders and seemingly the only character with a shred of intelligence. The peppy, fun loving gal of the bunch is Peppita and don't ask about the other two. They aren't important and hardly exist. (I never played as the boy Roger).

Sound like a good cast of characters to you? If not, don't read on. If you like what you just read, then you'll enjoy a line of cliche heroes that managed to beat out Final Fantasy when it comes to cheese. I found the character interactions (something quite emphasized in SO2) highly lacking and uninteresting.

SO3 doesn't have much to present in terms of environment either. The graphics are stunning and this time, you can see (and avoid) monsters as you run past and complete maps- but if you're looking for a diverse, unique background, don't waste your time. Most of the inhabited locations on Elicoor (the main setting) are boring backwater villages and towns, save for Airyglyth (a blustery, snowy kingdom) and Acquios (a summery, refreshing and tranquil queendome). When you obtain space travel again, don't hope for anything interesting. You can only visit three other locations in space (even after so much talk of different planets and peoples!). To be fair, the futuristic cities presented later on in the game (Gemity and the one in the 4D world) are very well done and different. They do nothing for me though, since I like my villages and cities made of wood, and brick and whatnot, ala FF6.

The storyline is the make or break point for many fans. If you'e playing SO3 for the first time, expect a point in the game where you'll either say "uhhh cool" or throw your controller down in anger. Other than that, the plot is your average save the day adventure after getting caught up in a primitive nation war. The introduction of powerful, god-like beings were the high point for me and left me gaming on to see what exactly they were and what was going on. It was very sinister, very mysterious. Once I crept on in gameplay, my fun time was over and I didn't care much for the story, especially when I realized nothing much else could be done in other environments. The villain of the game is poorly done and rarely seen, giving off a nice "So what?" moment when you manage to defeat him. I think that was largely the problem I had with SO3- I find myself not caring when I got over my sugar high of having a new game to play.

The item creation system is back and I find it fun and frustrating at the same time. It costs massive amounts of FOL if you manage to use it correctly and this is the only drawback that I can report. I liked SO2's system better, but I liked the way they built on it this time around.

The sidequests will keep you busy and are reminsicent of SO2 and Valkyrie Profile...definate point there. If you do find that you're lacking in stories and characters, it's fun to get your game on there.

I advise anyone not to pay more than 25 dollars for the game. It seriously isn't worth it.

The Man
01-24-2006, 07:22 AM
zwuh? Fayt and Sophia were kind of clichéd, I'd agree, but calling Albel and Nel one-dimensional? The person who wrote that review must not have done any of their sidequests.

BlueMageOne
01-25-2006, 01:32 AM
I wrote it, and no, I don't retract my statement because Albel especially IS a one dimensional character :P I TOTALLY forgot about Nel, but I think alongside Cliff and Maria, think that she's one of the three most believable characters.

Like I said, Albel was your typical pyscho. What did he do besides main and call people worm and maggot? Absolutely nothing. So. Over rated.

The Man
01-25-2006, 06:18 AM
Well. Like I said. If you'd played all of Albel's side quests, I don't see any way you could see him as a one-dimensional character, because his rationale for behaving the way he does is explained in depth during the Crimson Scourge sidequest.

BlueMageOne
01-26-2006, 01:31 AM
His rationale can be explained in many sidequests but it doesn't take away the fact that his character has been done over and over again in other games, novels, television shows, etc.

The Man
01-26-2006, 04:49 AM
You can't accuse him of being "one-dimensional" if he has a clearly delineated motivation and rationale; a "two-dimensional character," possibly, but "one-dimensional character" refers specifically to characters who are solely there to move the plot along and have no clearly delineated motivations or rationales of their own. I will not argue the point that there are many characters like him in other games, but that alone does not make him a one-dimensional character, any more than it makes Kain or Shadow or Vincent a one-dimensional character.

Slayer1514
01-27-2006, 01:15 AM
i mostly like the FF series but this game beats out some of them.

BlueMageOne
01-27-2006, 01:56 AM
You can't accuse him of being "one-dimensional" if he has a clearly delineated motivation and rationale; a "two-dimensional character," possibly, but "one-dimensional character" refers specifically to characters who are solely there to move the plot along and have no clearly delineated motivations or rationales of their own. I will not argue the point that there are many characters like him in other games, but that alone does not make him a one-dimensional character, any more than it makes Kain or Shadow or Vincent a one-dimensional character.

My mistake sir, I'm not efficient when it comes to this character terminology, haha. You know what I meant anyway.

The Man
01-27-2006, 03:23 AM
I do now, but obviously I was confused at first. It's fair enough though. xD

xtreme112
01-27-2006, 04:19 AM
I wouldn't consider Albel a one-dimesional character, he's got an attitude but there's a side of him that's more discreet, while he doesn't show it he seems insecure.
BUT HE STILL KICKS A HELL OF A LOT OF ARSE!!!!!!!
At first he appears crap, but go and buy him a good weapon and enable berserk and you'll never want to take him out of your party, ever.

btw does anyone know the names of the song the play in the first fight against Biwig and against the proclaimer at the moonbase? If anyone knows please pm me! I've been looking for them for ages now!

rikkupainegoofydonald
01-27-2006, 06:58 AM
I don't have SO3 yet, while I am playing on 4D Difficulty, Freya has 60-180m HP and 9-24m HP, her Ether Stike will almost always kill anybody, SUPER DEADLY attack, incredibly high chance of paralysis... Freya is the hardest superboss in SO3. D:

Ariel
02-17-2006, 09:39 AM
SO3 is definitely worth buying. Mixed bag it might be; but it's still a fun, lengthy game with a detailed storyline and plenty of little extras to keep you occupied. I still haven't finished it. The difficulty of the last boss is hideous, but at least it's a challenge.

Personally, I hated the plot twist. But the game's other merits made up for it. The characters are entertaining, there are multiple paths to take in terms of who joins your party, and the graphics are sublime. But there are quite a few people out there who don't like it, so my suggestion would be to rent it first, and see if it's your kind of game.

Acid Raine
03-04-2006, 11:28 PM
SO3 is a game for smart people. Or rather, a game for those with big vocabularies. If you dont have a vast vocab, than you wont have any idea WHAT they are talking about...

Ruskies
03-05-2006, 02:05 AM
I love Star Ocean 3. I like the music, most the characters are cool espically Maria and it has good cut scenes. Most of all the story hooked me early and often so it was hard for me to stop until I beat it. The Moonbase cut scene is one of my fav cut scenes in any game.

Acid Raine
03-07-2006, 06:07 AM
One thing that bugs me to no end on this is they didnt do a very good job on adding the voices. Lots of times they arent nearly loud enough, and are often illegible because the music overpowers them. AND FARLEEN'S VOICE DROVE ME MAD!!!!!!

Bendak
03-07-2006, 08:44 PM
I only played SO3 a couple of times. I liked the second one, but I never beat it. I got up to the boss of the game, and even with my characters at level 90 something each, he slaughters me.

jetamune07
03-18-2006, 05:19 AM
The best part of SO3 is the fighting system. The storyline may not make everybody all cheesy, happy, sad, emotional like FFVIII or FFX though. If you are looking for a cheesy chick flick type of storyline, then go back to those FF games. It depends if you are an RPG player who likes to plays see what happens next in the story, or an RPG player who likes to have fun while actually playing the game.

Battling in SO3 is very involved unlike FF where I can basically fall asleep while battling. The combo system is SO3 is very unlike any RPG I have ever played. The game is very enjoyable once the player learns how to cancel basic attacks into special attacks, into more special attacks, and into your party members' special attacks. I remember when I had a 150 hit combo on an enemy. When you get the right items and create the right items, you can basically turn Fayt and Sophia into god-like characters, like Tina was in FF6, where you take 0 damage. It plays more like an action RPG than a turn based RPG.

In FFX, I found myself falling asleep while battling in the game. The story was okay, although it did have some cliches and borrowed some motifs and themes from other books I have read. If you have played a lot of FF games, the battle system is tiresome. It feels like I played the game already. I have played FF4, FF5, FF6, FF7, FF8, FF9, and FF10 by the way.

Plus, in FFX, seemingly all you do is follow the red dot on the map, see some event happen, fight the same dead guy a thousand times, then play that god-awful turn-based underwater polo game (that you have to play to get special items and weapons for characters). Tidus was a cliche and generic, semi-rebellious teenager who is so weak mentally, that he lets his father dominate his thoughts. Then for the rest of the game, he keeps whining and moaning about how he hates his father. Even near the final boss, he still says he hates his father. Annoying!!! The only character that kept me from stop playing that game was Yuna. The sidequests, very limited at best, were not fun at all. Turn-base underwater polo and dodging lightning 200 consecutive times is not a fun game. Without any real sidequests, FF X quickly became too linear!

Admittingly, the plot twist in SO3 made me think wtf?!!, well not as bad as the crummy The Matrix Trilogy stuff. The ending was not that great either borrowing cliche ideas from a philosopher. At least the sidequests were very fun and numerous. What game lets you fight Lenneth and Freya from VP?

Now the new FF12 seems to have borrowed a storyline from FF6. An Empire, a women from the Empire is with the opposing Rebel side: it sounds like Tina and Lock. I like the FF series for the most part, but I kind of hope that they bring more fresh air to the series, especially the gameplay.