PDA

View Full Version : Which spells in FF2j are *necessary*?

Peter_20
12-06-2005, 10:41 AM
As you all know, lots of spells seem kinda worthless in FF2j.
I personally never saw any use in most of them, and I think these are the only spells I deemed useful:

Cure, Heal, Life, Exit, Fire, Ice, Bolt, Warp, Holy, Ultima, Flare.

...Alright, that WAS quite a bunch, but are there really any others?

Reign
12-06-2005, 12:44 PM
Yea. In all fairness, all the spells were pointless. Only the elements like fire, thunder, blizzard, holy etc. were really the point in the game(for beating enemies with a great defence and a bad magic defence). The rest of the others, I really couldnt bother. The magic attacks looked kool, but naw, they didnt hav to put a crapload of magic in when there was no point in using them...:mad:

EDIT: Oh yea.. and the healing abilities were also good help in the game...

Captain Maxx Power
12-06-2005, 12:54 PM
To define useless is to say a spell has no use or is beyond use at all. LOCK and LCK2 in FF1 were useless, because they did nothing. They actually HELPED the enemy. In FF2 none of the spells could be classified as useless, since by their very nature they all have a use. During the course of the game you'll have more than enough space between your characters to have at the very least one of each spell. Whether or not you actually use them is up to you. My advice would be to try and experiment. Use a spell regularly (it doesn't take too long for it to hit 3-4 odd later on) and see if it helps. Sometimes a seemingly useless spell can become amazingly powerful (You know that whole Temper trick in FF1? Try the same thing with Berserk in FF2). Some spells don't even require constant casting, as just the one will do. Case in point Protect, Shell, Wall and Aura only need to be cast once. If you set up a White Mage chances are they won't be attacking and doing damage for most of the game, and characters don't need healing every round, so why not use those "empty" rounds to buff your characters? The more buffs the easier life becomes. Same with debuffs. Blind is so effective against physical attackers, much more so than FF1 ever was. Slow is also useful for this task. Curse is your friend against high defense monsters. Dispel is equally your friend against high magic defense monsters. Then of course there's Exit and Warp, essential for those really long dungeons where you just have to get out that very instant.

So yeah, never discount a spell just because it doesn't do damage.

DJZen
12-06-2005, 11:28 PM
There is no spell that is completely required to beat the game. Some argue that magic only slows you down and that 4 barefisted characters are more efficient.

vampirepiggyhunter7
12-07-2005, 01:10 AM
Fire Ice Bolt (not VERY useful), ULTIMA, HOLY, AND FLARE!

Peter_20
12-07-2005, 09:46 AM
Fire Ice Bolt (not VERY useful), ULTIMA, HOLY, AND FLARE!
I agree.
However, I thought the spells Cure, Heal, Life and Exit were the most important ones.
I mean, you DO get inflicted with bad status a lot and you die pretty often at certain points in the game.

boys from the dwarf
12-07-2005, 07:15 PM
no spells on the game are at all necassary but they are useful but you can go without.

Peter_20
12-07-2005, 08:36 PM
no spells on the game are at all necassary but they are useful but you can go without.Well, you'll get a really hard time with those status monsters, then.
I mean, you suffer A LOT from Poison and Blind during a somewhat early point in the game.

You should at least bring a Heal magic.

DarkLadyNyara
12-07-2005, 10:01 PM
The extra spells are Ultima fodder. :D And Toad is pretty decent.

DJZen
12-08-2005, 04:45 AM
Actually the more poison gets inflicted on you, the more resistant to it you become. If the lesser poison gets inflicted on you, you probably won't even lose any health to it.

rubah
12-08-2005, 05:56 AM
haste+berserk makes for double physical damage dealing fun! well haste mostly. but berserk helps some~

Peter_20
12-08-2005, 06:28 AM
Actually the more poison gets inflicted on you, the more resistant to it you become. If the lesser poison gets inflicted on you, you probably won't even lose any health to it.
Wow, sounds brilliant.
So the chars train in pure status resistance as well?
Cool! :cool:

DJZen
12-08-2005, 06:32 AM
Yes, only it's called "magic defense".

Captain Maxx Power
12-08-2005, 10:39 PM
The applying of status effects works much like a physical hit, whereby the level of the spell dictates how many times the effect will attempt to be layered onto your character (for example, SLEP6 would attempt to apply sleep status six times). Your magic defense status prevents this by allowing you to avoid these status attacks. With Magic Defense you can "avoid" as many layers as you have Magic Defense, being the number before the %. IIRC Magic Defense % has two functions. Firstly it's used to calculate the chances that you'll avoid each layer (50% evasion would mean having approximately a 50/50 chance of avoiding each layer). Secondly it reduces all damage based magic against you (50% would reduce it by half). Note that spells targetted against your allies ignore these values.

theundeadhero
12-10-2005, 02:51 PM
Cure and life are the only ones I ever use, except for the ice spell against a very early boss that I can't remember the name of.

Peter_20
12-10-2005, 04:38 PM
Cure and life are the only ones I ever use, except for the ice spell against a very early boss that I can't remember the name of.
I still feel like getting all the spells that I can carry for the sake of completion, though.

DJZen
12-10-2005, 07:16 PM

Adamantoise?

Starboard Regulator FlareNUKE
12-11-2005, 09:45 AM
Fire, Lit, Ice, Cure, Warp, Zap!, Life, Hel2.

Those are the only spells that will prove to be the most helpful, not implying the others are worthless, but you kinda NEED these spells...

Peter_20
12-11-2005, 11:32 AM
Fire, Lit, Ice, Cure, Warp, Zap!, Life, Hel2.

Those are the only spells that will prove to be the most helpful, not implying the others are worthless, but you kinda NEED these spells...
That's FF1 you're talking about...

12-12-2005, 12:25 AM
No, I am not, where have heard the spell "Hel2" in FF1?

Peter_20
12-12-2005, 08:32 AM
No, I am not, where have heard the spell "Hel2" in FF1?Are you kidding me?

http://www.eyesonff.com/ff1/magic.shtml

White Magic, Level 5.

12-12-2005, 11:05 AM
Oh wait, sorry, I forgot about the HEAL spell... but to clarify, I am talking of FF2 spells...I can prove it too with a screen shot,

Peter_20
12-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Oh wait, sorry, I forgot about the HEAL spell... but to clarify, I am talking of FF2 spells...I can prove it too with a screen shot,Go ahead.
Not that I don't believe you, but screenshots are nice. :)

12-12-2005, 11:35 AM
http://www.freewebs.com/flarenuke/FF2FireLitIceZap.png

Peter_20
12-12-2005, 12:29 PM
http://www.freewebs.com/flarenuke/FF2FireLitIceZap.png
That is SO fake!
Unless you use some unknown translation. :D

rubah
12-12-2005, 11:08 PM
I can't see an exclamation mark appearing as a spell name, myself.

DJZen
12-12-2005, 11:33 PM
Probably the official translation.

Peter_20
12-12-2005, 11:36 PM
Probably the official translation.Wouldn't that version be pretty Japanese?

DJZen
12-12-2005, 11:40 PM
No, it's stilted engrish.

yuffielover
12-16-2005, 11:03 PM
1. Cure
2. Fire
3. Blizzard
4. Thunder
5. Aura
6. Berserk
7. Haste
8. Teleport
9. Flare
10. Holy
11. Ultima
12. Toad
13. Stop
14. Curse
15. Blind
16. Dispel

Those should be your spells if you're doing a single character challenge in FF2.

DJZen
12-16-2005, 11:07 PM
9. Flare
10. Holy
11. Ultima

I can't even begin to count the ways that that's stupid...

This time with more tact...

That's really redundant. Flare and Holy are the same exact damage element (non-elemental), the only differences are holy has less attack power and depends on spirit instead of intelligence the way flare does. Ultima is just a pointless spell, holy will do more damage and for less effort, and they're both white magic.

Alixsar
12-17-2005, 07:19 PM
Just boost Aura, Haste, and Beserk. Cast them on everyone and use physical attacks. And make at least one character get good at using their bare hands. I always have Guy do that and he's always the strongest character on my team.

12-18-2005, 04:11 AM
Nuke, and Fade may seem great because their expensive, and Xtal can be found once and once only. Their only purpose seems to be a way to kill enemies without attacking, resulting in INT. loss... Xtal seems to be special in some way, it doesn't deal damage the same way as Fade, It's somehow different..